BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2NH brake clearance to 788M wheel inner barrel?

12-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

2NH brake clearance to 788M wheel inner barrel?

Returning to ///M ownership, M2 comp on order to replace a much missed 1M. I can't decide about the 2NH brakes. Salesman thinks I could get a car in May 2019 that suits my timescales with 2NH. Might track the car occasionally and I wanted the best stopping performance I could get but two things worry me.
Extra unsprung and rotating weight. Well discussed and I doubt I would notice it so can go with that.
Proximity of the calipers to the wheel barrel causing score marks from trapped stones. Load of discussion on the M4 forums with this on CCB cars with 437M 19 inch wheels, and 763M 19 fronts on CSs.
As the M2 big brakes are the M4 CCB calipers,has anyone had this issue with an M2 comp with the big brakes and the 788M wheels? I'm going to seek out a car to check the gap I think. This would really bug my OCD as I assume the barrel is painted black, and I would be worried about reduction in strength if the score was deep.
As the car is mainly street use, I'm tempted to change the spec back to std brakes and put better pads in if I track the car. Save some cash whilst I'm at it. Really interested what you guys with cars running 2NH and 788M wheels think, any clearance worries?
Thanks
Pete
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
MadViper
Private First Class
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Pete, I'm not sure I understand your question, but if you are asking if there is any clearance problem with 2HN brakes and the 788 wheels the is answer is no.
If you plan tracking your car with different wheels just have in mind that 18" won't clear the brakes and that BMW 19" replica wheels neither. If you plan to have a dedicated wheel set for track days I would consider buying used M4 wheels, they will clear, that's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

I would go standard brakes then upgrade to an aftermarket BBK if needed. The fact that you are forced to run 19 inch wheels with 2NH should be a deal breaker for most track-users.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

OP, im not surprise about the concern of the 2NH clearence, it is really really tight and I can definfitly see how pebbles can get caught in there. Im from the states and I had no options on brakes, but if I had the choice, id still chose the 2NH... real bad a$$ looking.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
glachhman3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SO M2

In NY was well ^^, already had a pebble score the entire inside barrel of my 788s, dealer wouldnt warranty it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 02:42 AM   #6
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I agree on the looks, they look awesome. Sounds like stones can still get stuck in there. That would really bother me, think after market brakes such as AP, or uprated pads / fluid on the smaller set up could be the way forward. Gives me the option to run smaller wheels for winter tyres to. But 2NH looks soooo good..
Appreciate 0