BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New EU based M2C EL exhaust

10-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #45
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Damn it you are making me salivate haha
      11-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #46
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

Update

The AK Motion Display is giving me a headache
It doesn't like to switch on when igniting the engine, and I retrieved various "Battery Drainage" error codes from the ECU in the end causing a CEL that kept reappearing
On top of that the burbles have gotten out of control, they just continue, also after 30secs off throttle
They are not loud, just annoying I would say
Sofar testing of the exhaust is put on ice a bit, have to sort the electronics out and have to say, I am looking into a bench unlock + bootmod3 now
Regards
Erik
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      11-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #47
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Justa a friendly advice, since removing opfs is complicated. You should have made first opf back version, because most of the people will probbably choose that version... Ant then you could test cat back sistem after.

Nevertheless, i am still waiting to hear one of your clips before deciding what to buy.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      11-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #48
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

will arrange for sound clips soon
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #49
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

First attempt.....unfortunately the asfalt was too damp to make a proper WOT pull, it only results in wheelspin till 3rd gear (see the marks)

Funny thing is that the lower frequencies seem not to be recorded at all......the "Owyeahbaby" effect you have inside and outside the car seems almost unrecordable.

Some clips revving below
The burbled definitely need to go to my opinion
See below vid, and please be aware that the end tip position will be adjusted slightly upwards.

Still having some issues with the AK motion draining the battery, so the canbus system is shutting down the AK Motion which causes the ECU to throw a CEL with the valves open above 5000rpm.

Valves closed I did not manage to get a CEL

To be continued
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #50
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Devotion View Post
First attempt.....unfortunately the asfalt was too damp to make a proper WOT pull, it only results in wheelspin till 3rd gear (see the marks)

Funny thing is that the lower frequencies seem not to be recorded at all......the "Owyeahbaby" effect you have inside and outside the car seems almost unrecordable.

Some clips revving below
The burbled definitely need to go to my opinion
See below vid, and please be aware that the end tip position will be adjusted slightly upwards.

Still having some issues with the AK motion draining the battery, so the canbus system is shutting down the AK Motion which causes the ECU to throw a CEL with the valves open above 5000rpm.

Valves closed I did not manage to get a CEL

To be continued
Can you give more detail on the AK Motion issues please? Mine arrives tomorrow, so any heads up to avoid issues would be appreciated.

Is the battery drain because it doesn't shut down, or a significant current drain even when running?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #51
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Can you give more detail on the AK Motion issues please? Mine arrives tomorrow, so any heads up to avoid issues would be appreciated.

Is the battery drain because it doesn't shut down, or a significant current drain even when running?
It used to be working perfectly fine till I connected the OPF wires.
The wiring is ok as the AK does manage to surpress the OPF related CEL
I also get a washerfluid alarm, with the container topped up, but had that issue already before the battery drain related errors (and light CEL without power restriction)

Support from AK is not what I would expect other than "you connected it wrong" which cannot be true to be honest, from the AK motion pov everything was and is working fine, and this all changed after hooking up the wiring. So I had to come up with my own systematic approach to exclude possibilities. Almost there, one thing to check. Tomorrow I will check the controller to display harness as that is the only thing I did not check (nor touch).

In order to fire up the display I now manually have to wire up the controller and then it works just fine. It shuts down automatically after 5secs ignition off, when I leave it plugged it drains, when I unplug it doesn't drain, when I do like 5 rides the CEL disappears from my cluster. I think it drains while driving though, as the controller is physically being shut down (I have it visible now), there is a blue LED blinking when the power is on.

Do you have the correct tools to unplug the cores from the CAN BUS connectors otherwise you could be struggling. These ones:

It's a brilliant display with nice functionality and I am pretty eager getting it running.

Will update here soonest.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #52
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

It used to be working perfectly fine till I connected the OPF wires.
The wiring is ok as the AK does manage to surpress the OPF related CEL
I also get a washerfluid alarm, with the container topped up, but had that issue already before the battery drain related errors (and light CEL without power restriction)

Support from AK is not what I would expect other than "you connected it wrong" which cannot be true to be honest, from the AK motion pov everything was and is working fine, and this all changed after hooking up the wiring. So I had to come up with my own systematic approach to exclude possibilities. Almost there, one thing to check. Tomorrow I will check the controller to display harness as that is the only thing I did not check (nor touch).

In order to fire up the display I now manually have to wire up the controller and then it works just fine. It shuts down automatically after 5secs ignition off, when I leave it plugged it drains, when I unplug it doesn't drain, when I do like 5 rides the CEL disappears from my cluster. I think it drains while driving though, as the controller is physically being shut down (I have it visible now), there is a blue LED blinking when the power is on.

Do you have the correct tools to unplug the cores from the CAN BUS connectors otherwise you could be struggling. These ones:

It's a brilliant display with nice functionality and I am pretty eager getting it running.

Will update here soonest.
I appreciate your time to answer. I will soon be joining you with OPF suppression via AKM. I'll let you know how it goes with my install.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #53
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Last day of 2020 ended positive with a trail with my Hero9 + Mic mod. Sounds is pretty acceptable from a recording pov. Surface was damp, temp around +3degrees Celcius, Cup2 tyres = not a lot of grip

Rev Efficient (video wrong info as Sport Plus) Valves Open --> no burbles

Pull (wheelspin) Sportplus Valves Closed

Pull (wheelspin) Sportplus Valves Open

Although the sound is much better recorded than previously with my S10, still the Hero9 doesn't manage to capture the deeper tones. This exhaust is not even close to raspy, it is deep and dark. Still you have the resonating part, i think if you blip it around the 3500-4000ish rpm it trumpets for a 1/10th of a second. This it what it did without exhaust, with testpipes, and now at an acceptable level. Pulling through that rev range with load on the engine the trumpet sound is not there. Strange thing is that the difference between valves closed and open is very noticable inside and outside the car, but hardly noticable on the video. Downshifts with the valves open in sport plus are just mental. Still have to properly get rid of the burbles though as they do not justify the L6 howl it produces in effcient mode (no burbles).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #54
Lost in München
Private
Rep

What is the problem with AK and their burble delete option?
Bimmerlink seems to do this fine...
Have you managed to suppress opf fault with AK?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:19 AM   #55
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

The display worked fine till the OPF wires were connected and the OPF function was activated at level 3.

Without the wires connected I got consistently a CEL above WOT >5500))ish rpm which was OPF related.

With the wires connected there is no OPF related CEL except for some rare occasions at low rpm half throttle. Still not ok as it always happens at an inconvenient moments, and every time it happens your heartbeat goes through the roof.

On top of that the display doesn't switch on anymore at ignition. I have to unplug it and replug it. It throws a cell with codes related to battery drainage / high power comsumption. On top of that the wiper fluid reservoir alarm sounds.

Response from AK : You wired it wrong.
Well I did not wire anything, but did have a check.
It was wired just fine, seen the fact that when I replug the display, it works and works fine. Except for the rare OPF CEL, the burbles which are suppressed but not deleted and the battery drainage issue.

So I am looking into bench unlocking, disabling OPF/CAT related CEL's, remove the AK display and flsh the ECU.....

Sound is great through
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:50 AM   #56
Lost in München
Private
Rep

Thank you,,, so i think i will pass on ak motion then

When do you plan to test opf back version, if you plan?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #57
Westerwälder
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2c

Quote:
The display worked fine till the OPF wires were connected and the OPF function was activated at level 3.

Without the wires connected I got consistently a CEL above WOT >5500))ish rpm which was OPF related.

With the wires connected there is no OPF related CEL except for some rare occasions at low rpm half throttle. Still not ok as it always happens at an inconvenient moments, and every time it happens your heartbeat goes through the roof.

On top of that the display doesn't switch on anymore at ignition. I have to unplug it and replug it. It throws a cell with codes related to battery drainage / high power comsumption. On top of that the wiper fluid reservoir alarm sounds.

Response from AK : You wired it wrong.
Well I did not wire anything, but did have a check.
It was wired just fine, seen the fact that when I replug the display, it works and works fine. Except for the rare OPF CEL, the burbles which are suppressed but not deleted and the battery drainage issue.

So I am looking into bench unlocking, disabling OPF/CAT related CEL's, remove the AK display and flsh the ECU.....

Sound is great through
Sorry to hear this, but it seems that you are one of the first guy having a problem with the ak motion display. It really sounds like a wiring issue, maybe the welding of the opf cables went wrong?
I’m running the combination and really haven’t had any issues so far. Disabled opf and burbles, controlling the flaps and so on..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #58
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerwälder View Post
Sorry to hear this, but it seems that you are one of the first guy having a problem with the ak motion display. It really sounds like a wiring issue, maybe the welding of the opf cables went wrong?
I’m running the combination and really haven’t had any issues so far. Disabled opf and burbles, controlling the flaps and so on..
I had it "soldered" by a guy who bench tunes opened ecu's as from what I have seen he used a professional soldering station with the small tip and a minimum amount of Pb.

To be honest, the fact that a customer needs to solder those wires in place although you asked them to do it (which was confirmed) is not the way it should be done.

The clamps for parasiting the OPF cables (yellow) were also to small, and extremely fragile, so I would need to check those connections as well. Tom me this all comes to a "faulty connection" like a loose contact.

The battery drainage is a very strange one tbh, as it drains over night while the controller auto is automatically switches off 5sec after ignition off (visible from the flashing blue led shutting down)

I remember I had some issues in the beginning as well with the display not turning back on (OPF not connected nor soldered), mailed with Burkhard engineering, they asked me to check everything which I did, a reflash of the firmware (unnecessarily complex operation, UI sucks ballz) and suddenly the problems dissapeared.

Maybe I have to reflash again to a new firmware.
It would have been nice if AK supported me

Sofar I have learned my lesson again. Do not put an 400 euro cheat device on a 130keuro (thats 150k$) cars...........

OPF version to be tested the next months, check
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #59
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

So another update. In the Netherlands we do have an issue with bench unlocking. Tuners just do not seem to be willing to do it without flashing their own tunes, which drove me pretty mad as I do not want their tune. I want my own tune and being able to make the fine adjustments to the tune when I further upgrade the S55.

Since in my world (professionally) such things (which feels like blackmail) are totally unacceptable and do not exist, It just happened. I ordered the autotuner flash tool to do the f'ing unlocking myself.

So from now (well next week when the tool has been delivered) on there is an unlocking service in NL
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:08 AM   #60
Tupps11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
So another update. In the Netherlands we do have an issue with bench unlocking. Tuners just do not seem to be willing to do it without flashing their own tunes, which drove me pretty mad as I do not want their tune. I want my own tune and being able to make the fine adjustments to the tune when I further upgrade the S55.

Since in my world (professionally) such things (which feels like blackmail) are totally unacceptable and do not exist, It just happened. I ordered the autotuner flash tool to do the f'ing unlocking myself.

So from now (well next week when the tool has been delivered) on there is an unlocking service in NL
There are two dealers for Bootmod3 in the Netherlands.

Why don't you have them do the bench unlock? You can then go for any of their off the shelf OEM tunes for the S55 (M2CS, M4CS, M3CS, etc.). You can even stick to your M2C original tune but play around with parameters like deleting OPF and/or Cats

Last edited by Tupps11; 01-08-2021 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:59 AM   #61
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

I already have some bootmod licenses (and that was the intention to start playing with a CS map) as I have helped some friends out with a tune in the past. On top of my frustration (I spoke to 3 or 4 "tuners" who refused to help me, never thought of Beek, however doubt if they would have been ablte to help me by having another mindset as some of the other big names in NL) buying the autotuner tool was just the next step. Seems I will reach break even on the tool pretty soon, there are a lot of guys having the need for bench unlocking. Looking forward to it. Keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #62
Tupps11
Enlisted Member
Rep

My car is a 2020 model and required a bench unlock. I took it to my local Bootmod3 dealer. We took out the ECU and it took him less than an hour to unlock it. I suggest you do the same. There are two BM3 dealers in the Netherlands.

You can then play around with all the tunes that came with your license or use a different tune from somewhere else since the ECU will already be unlocked
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:04 AM   #63
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupps11 View Post
My car is a 2020 model and required a bench unlock. I took it to my local Bootmod3 dealer. We took out the ECU and it took him less than an hour to unlock it. I suggest you do the same. There are two BM3 dealers in the Netherlands.

You can then play around with all the tunes that came with your license or use a different tune from somewhere else since the ECU will already be unlocked
I received my Autotuner tool yesterday, and am not in the need of a tuner for unlocking anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:44 AM   #64
Tupps11
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I received my Autotuner tool yesterday, and am not in the need of a tuner for unlocking anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #65
thedoluk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupps11 View Post

When was your car built? Mines a 2020 built 13July and suspect its got the new locked ECU.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #66
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoluk View Post
When was your car built? Mines a 2020 built 13July and suspect its got the new locked ECU.
Mine is oct 2019, model 2020, it had the ECU that required bench unlocking.
Appreciate 0