BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > '21 M2C vs '20 TTRS purchase

02-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #45
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

My girl roasted the hell out of me for mentioning I was interested in the TTRS when I was car shopping lol.

Inline 5 just sounds badass.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #46
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTRS, M2CS

Still loving car. Still waiting on my Rays/Volk TE037 I ordered last June. Huge delays from Japan and anything that passes through Cali.
Think my gf is about to pick up a M2C though so we'll add reviews while swapping back and forth.
Someone asked about having a TTRS as their only car and I'd have to recommend against it. Certainly possibly but best to have a beater car/xuv.
Washing TTRS mirrors and taillights is delicate work. They spiderweb if you look at them too hard. 3000grit polish knocks it out.

I've read through the thread again and have to push back against some of the F/AWD complaints. It is fair that RWD cars have that nice shove feeling when accelerating hard and you can better control the rotation with throttle. Expect those differences when you drive/buy. For the very few people that actually drive on a track, most AWD (TTRS included) can be set up neutral - over. Neg front camber, 0 rear camber, rear sway if needed. Don't drive different cars the same way. If it matters, tuned TTRS crush nearly everything else at local track and autoX for similar HP groups. Stage 2 TTRS dominated the last One Lap of America competing against scores of "better track cars" including many P-cars.

Just an observation...99% of us do most of our high performance driving on streets. Not condoning, just being real. How many videos can you find on Youtube of a M2/3/4 wrapped around a tree, flipped down embankment, doing a nice drift across a curb into oncoming traffic? How many you know personally? Now do the same search for TTRS or RS 3/4/5. I'm in no way knocking BMWs here especially since I've had a bunch and loved them all. Just know that for those times you've ran 10/10ths when you were only planning 7 or 8, the AWD can come in handy. #Bimmerpost FTW

Last edited by trafficalert; 03-02-2021 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #47
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficalert View Post

I've read through the thread again and have to push back against some of the F/AWD complaints. It is fair that RWD cars have that nice shove feeling when accelerating hard and you can better control the rotation with throttle. Expect those differences when you drive/buy. For the very few people that actually drive on a track, most AWD (TTRS included) can be set up neutral - over. Neg front camber, 0 rear camber, rear sway if needed. Don't drive different cars the same way. If it matters, tuned TTRS crush nearly everything else at local track and autoX for similar HP groups. Stage 2 TTRS dominated the last One Lap of America competing against scores of "better track cars" including many P-cars.
Ssshhhh, don't tell them that FWD/AWD can be made to handle well. There's nothing I love better than passing some old man in his BMW or Vette on the track in my RSX Type S and seeing that deliciously shocked look on their face!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:22 AM   #48
Mhuber
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS/ M2 F87

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post
Ssshhhh, don't tell them that FWD/AWD can be made to handle well. There's nothing I love better than passing some old man in his BMW or Vette on the track in my RSX Type S and seeing that deliciously shocked look on their face!
With a few mods you can also have fun with them...

Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #49
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhuber View Post
With a few mods you can also have fun with them...

Nice! I used to have an S4, even stock, it could power oversteer quite easily then you get the awesome feeling of having the fronts kick in to straighten it out. Very fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #50
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep

So since I couldn't truly decide which was better, I had my gf buy a M2CS
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #51
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
So since I couldn't truly decide which was better, I had my gf buy a M2CS
Which do you enjoy more as a DD? Price points are a little different but yeah I'm also considering both.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #52
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep

They're so enjoyable that both must be test driven a lot and it will come down to personal preference. Truly one of the best first-world problems. The M2CS is definitely more expensive but requires no aftermarket work to make great. Possibly an AA midpipe to dial in the exhaust tone. The TTRS "needs" a small subwoofer added and most people swap to 19" wheels for weight and ride comfort. I still have 20"s while waiting for Rays to arrive. Running 32psi instead of factory psi to keep the car in one piece. If you "need" an easy 10 second car then you'll have to go TTRS. Simple E85 flash and you can run 10.7xx. M2C/S would require big turbos and the crank hub fix. If you care about fuel economy then TTRS gets 26+ vs the 18-19mpg of any S55 motor. If you track or HPDE then the M2C/S comes better as is. TTRS would prefer subframe parts to tighten it up. TTRS is 250-300lbs lighter.
Washing the M2C/S is easier and less time consuming. There's ~400 honeycombs in the hex grilles of TTRS and they spray out easily enough but take hours to seal/wax/ceramic.
Oh! Just remembered....BMW wheels need lots of sealant to help combat brake dust. Whatever pads BMW uses make the worst dust.

Both truly great cars but I bought the TTRS for the devastating acceleration that RWD cars rarely match. There is no wrong answer here.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #53
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
They're so enjoyable that both must be test driven a lot and it will come down to personal preference. Truly one of the best first-world problems. The M2CS is definitely more expensive but requires no aftermarket work to make great. Possibly an AA midpipe to dial in the exhaust tone. The TTRS "needs" a small subwoofer added and most people swap to 19" wheels for weight and ride comfort. I still have 20"s while waiting for Rays to arrive. Running 32psi instead of factory psi to keep the car in one piece. If you "need" an easy 10 second car then you'll have to go TTRS. Simple E85 flash and you can run 10.7xx. M2C/S would require big turbos and the crank hub fix. If you care about fuel economy then TTRS gets 26+ vs the 18-19mpg of any S55 motor. If you track or HPDE then the M2C/S comes better as is. TTRS would prefer subframe parts to tighten it up. TTRS is 250-300lbs lighter.
Washing the M2C/S is easier and less time consuming. There's ~400 honeycombs in the hex grilles of TTRS and they spray out easily enough but take hours to seal/wax/ceramic.
Oh! Just remembered....BMW wheels need lots of sealant to help combat brake dust. Whatever pads BMW uses make the worst dust.

Both truly great cars but I bought the TTRS for the devastating acceleration that RWD cars rarely match. There is no wrong answer here.
Awesome right up. I'm going tomorrow to rest drive the TTRS. Probably switching to 19's would be my first tinkering with the car. What forums do you use for Audi related topics?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #54
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep

Audizine.com and Audiworld.com
You basically have to use both since the "Audience" is much much smaller than Bimmerpost, which is the best forum ever!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #55
trafficalert
Private
United_States
Rep

Had to add pics after the Rays/Volk 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 0