BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw F series N55 HPFP upgrades

05-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #199
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I really doubt they would because more connections equals more chances of a leak.

There is really no benefit of going with AN lines over the push lock fittings because you can still get premade fuel lines either way. The reason why I like AN is because there is more AN fittings out there allowing for more flexibility when building fuel lines diy (you have angled fittings, swivels etc), and AN fittings are more widely used so it is easier to integrate fuel filters. That's not to say you can't do the same with push lock fittings (build a line with AN fittings and go push lock at the very end).

But the main reason why I prefer AN is because spool performance has life time warranties on everything they sell, so it saves me the time to DIY a fuel line (not fun at all to cut stainless AN hoses and insert fittings, and if you go too short accidentally then that line could be screwed) and I get life time warranty. Whereas fuel-it does not have life time warranty for their push lock style fuel line and the price is kind of high, plus I prefer stainless lines.

I hope that wasn't too confusing lol, I kinda just brain dumped.
Makes sense. Brain dump was helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #200
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Makes sense. Brain dump was helpful.

Lol thanks, most of the time that's how I reply and I just hope it's understandable.
      05-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #201
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

I installed my Dorch Stage 2 HPFP on the weekend. I'm running E85 via a custom BM3 tune. It's running really well, besides cutting out momentarily at idle / low load. Very strange and it wasn't doing this with the OTS 93 tune, so I'm hopeful it's just a tuning thing.

For anyone that's interested here's the logs:
3rd gear pulls - https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5eca...0b43740cc3c6dc
Idle with the HPFP drop outs - https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5eca...0b43740cc3c468

Note the tune is displaying as stage 2 E30 as I was originally going down that path but realised the stock HPFP wasn't up to the task. At that point I got the Dorch and arranged for the tuner to go full E85 instead.

Also this is just the first basic tune that is yet to be revised.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:33 AM   #202
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Also here's a video of the install, should anyone be interested.

Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00
      05-25-2020, 01:58 AM   #203
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Nice!
      05-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #204
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Very curious how this turns out so please let us know. Unfortunately for us, we never had a chance to evaluate the HPFP (S2) due to the Valvetronic failure which caused us to put the car back to stock. I will say this though (related or not), the car had a very erratic idle (and would stall) with it installed. Oddly enough, that issue went away once the car went back to stock. In fact, it ran so well that we were able to drive it to the dealership. We haven't had time to put all the parts back on but it's got us thinking that maybe the HPFP is the 1st part to get installed to rule out all other possible issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
I installed my Dorch Stage 2 HPFP on the weekend. I'm running E85 via a custom BM3 tune. It's running really well, besides cutting out momentarily at idle / low load. Very strange and it wasn't doing this with the OTS 93 tune, so I'm hopeful it's just a tuning thing.

For anyone that's interested here's the logs:
3rd gear pulls - https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5eca...0b43740cc3c6dc
Idle with the HPFP drop outs - https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5eca...0b43740cc3c468

Note the tune is displaying as stage 2 E30 as I was originally going down that path but realised the stock HPFP wasn't up to the task. At that point I got the Dorch and arranged for the tuner to go full E85 instead.

Also this is just the first basic tune that is yet to be revised.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #205
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Very curious how this turns out so please let us know. Unfortunately for us, we never had a chance to evaluate the HPFP (S2) due to the Valvetronic failure which caused us to put the car back to stock. I will say this though (related or not), the car had a very erratic idle (and would stall) with it installed. Oddly enough, that issue went away once the car went back to stock. In fact, it ran so well that we were able to drive it to the dealership. We haven't had time to put all the parts back on but it's got us thinking that maybe the HPFP is the 1st part to get installed to rule out all other possible issues.
I wouldn't describe the idle as erratic and it's never stalled. Just a momentary dip in revs. It didn't do it with the OTS BM3 tune, so I'm hoping it's just related to the custom tune and it needing some adjustment to work better with the HPFP.

I'll keep you posted.

When is your cal likely to be back on the road?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #206
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Def sounds unrelated to what we observed so here's hoping it's easily resolved for you. As for us, we got the car back a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully soon we'll get the parts back on.

Quote:
I wouldn't describe the idle as erratic and it's never stalled. Just a momentary dip in revs. It didn't do it with the OTS BM3 tune, so I'm hoping it's just related to the custom tune and it needing some adjustment to work better with the HPFP.

I'll keep you posted.

When is your cal likely to be back on the road?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:31 AM   #207
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Spool performance's FX-180 is out, and it is $100 more than Dorch engineering's stage 2 pump but also flows more fuel. I don't know if dorch has life time warranty as well, but if they do not then spool will clearly be the better option.
      05-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #208
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Seems like I'm the only person that went with a Stage 1. (Dorch - $999 at release)

Flows more than XDI-35, and I figure there's no way I can keep the car cool enough on hot open track days if I go bigger turbo, Stage 2 HPFP, and start pushing major power.

The plan is to max out the Dinan turbo on E45, which I'm guessing will be 450whp? Should still keep some good drivability around town, too, with reduced lag.

It's all going on in a couple weeks, so we'll see!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #209
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Seems like I'm the only person that went with a Stage 1. (Dorch - $999 at release)

Flows more than XDI-35, and I figure there's no way I can keep the car cool enough on hot open track days if I go bigger turbo, Stage 2 HPFP, and start pushing major power.

The plan is to max out the Dinan turbo on E45, which I'm guessing will be 450whp? Should still keep some good drivability around town, too, with reduced lag.

It's all going on in a couple weeks, so we'll see!
Yeah it'll be hard to keep the car cool, but not impossible. Csf sells a triple pass ac delete radiator that will really help with that. Then you can add a custom oil cooler to deal with oil temps. If you're crazy enough you can also add water sprayers.

A maxed out dinan turbo at sea level will probably yield you 440 whp max and that might be optimistic. The ps1 which flows more than the dinan turbo tapped out at 440 whp, so you might be looking at the 420 whp range.

But remember as you increase boost your iat's goes up too, and that will impact your engine's cooling. So you need to get a good intercooler.
ZM22785.00
      05-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #210
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Lifetime warranty in case you or it screws up, fair enough lol.
      05-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #211
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yeah it'll be hard to keep the car cool, but not impossible. Csf sells a triple pass ac delete radiator that will really help with that. Then you can add a custom oil cooler to deal with oil temps. If you're crazy enough you can also add water sprayers.

A maxed out dinan turbo at sea level will probably yield you 440 whp max and that might be optimistic. The ps1 which flows more than the dinan turbo tapped out at 440 whp, so you might be looking at the 420 whp range.

But remember as you increase boost your iat's goes up too, and that will impact your engine's cooling. So you need to get a good intercooler.
I hear ya.

Altho, not willing to loose AC on my daily driver. I have the larger CSF radiator, oil, and DCT coolers, and do88 larger aux radiator.

IC will be changed to the Evo3 Comp that fits the M235i soon, with some help from another forum member that did this on his M2 recently. IAT management looks very impressive.

I'll do the tune thru Halim who seems pretty good about timing, boost, and temp mgmt. Then we'll see how she holds up on track heat wise this summer.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #212
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya.

Altho, not willing to loose AC on my daily driver. I have the larger CSF radiator, oil, and DCT coolers, and do88 larger aux radiator.

IC will be changed to the Evo3 Comp that fits the M235i soon, with some help from another forum member that did this on his M2 recently. IAT management looks very impressive.

I'll do the tune thru Halim who seems pretty good about timing, boost, and temp mgmt. Then we'll see how she holds up on track heat wise this summer.
That setup sounds good enough to hold off temps at the 430 whp range. Again this is pure speculation and you won't know until you drive it hard.

But looking forward to your results, e85 will really help drop temps. An article on motoiq saw 20 degree drops on oil and coolant temps when on e85.
ZM22785.00
      05-28-2020, 04:59 AM   #213
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Def sounds unrelated to what we observed so here's hoping it's easily resolved for you. As for us, we got the car back a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully soon we'll get the parts back on.
Chris @ Dorch advised it was just an issue with one of the tuning tables. I'm waiting for a revised tune in the next day or two which will hopefully fix it.
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      06-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #214
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Update. I discovered that my HPFP was basically not turning on until load increased. So HPFP pressure was sitting at around 100psi then jumped to 2900 when it turned on. This jump in pressure was causing small jolts under load. Once the HPFP was turned on it would stay on until I was off throttle for a few seconds. So fine for WOT pulls.

Cary Jordan (who's tuning the car) said one of the HPFP tables was missing from the tune. He's contacted PTF to have the issue fixed and in the meantime has suggested I use the standard BM3 Dorch settings with his custom E85 tune.

I swapped back to the OTS E30 map whilst I was waiting for Cary and still have about half a tank to burn off before I can swap back to the full E85 tune.

I'll report back afterwards. I'm hoping this fixes the long crank on startup and also the jolts / rough idle that I was experiencing with the E85 tune. Note the car has been flawless with the OTS E30 tune, though there was a noticeable reduction in power.
Appreciate 2
///Monika186.50
ZM22785.00
      06-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #215
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update. I discovered that my HPFP was basically not turning on until load increased. So HPFP pressure was sitting at around 100psi then jumped to 2900 when it turned on. This jump in pressure was causing small jolts under load. Once the HPFP was turned on it would stay on until I was off throttle for a few seconds. So fine for WOT pulls.

Cary Jordan (who's tuning the car) said one of the HPFP tables was missing from the tune. He's contacted PTF to have the issue fixed and in the meantime has suggested I use the standard BM3 Dorch settings with his custom E85 tune.

I swapped back to the OTS E30 map whilst I was waiting for Cary and still have about half a tank to burn off before I can swap back to the full E85 tune.

I'll report back afterwards. I'm hoping this fixes the long crank on startup and also the jolts / rough idle that I was experiencing with the E85 tune. Note the car has been flawless with the OTS E30 tune, though there was a noticeable reduction in power.
Thanks for the update, let us know how it goes.

My Dorch Stage 1 is going on tomorrow and we’ll work over the coming weeks to do a Stage 2+ E45 tune with Halim.

Looking forward to coming out of lockdown and finally getting back to using my M2!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #216
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's finally happening ? That's awesome. I'm hoping everything goes well so please update when you get a chance.

Quote:
Thanks for the update, let us know how it goes.

My Dorch Stage 1 is going on tomorrow and we’ll work over the coming weeks to do a Stage 2+ E45 tune with Halim.

Looking forward to coming out of lockdown and finally getting back to using my M2!
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      06-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #217
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quick update from my end.

I flashed Cary's E85 tune with the standard Dorch settings. It works but I felt it was noticeably slower - maybe a touch more than the OTS E30 tune, but not by much. Chris from Dorch did mention that the BM3 Dorch settings are pretty basic and they are working on adding more control, so it makes sense that the custom fuelling would feel better.

I logged and Cary has provided a revised tune with more boost. We're still using the OTS fuelling and it feels amazing - now much quicker than the E30 OTS tune. It will be interesting to see how it feels once it's all dialled in and with Cary's fuelling.

The only downside is the slow crank to start when cold with E85.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      06-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #218
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

My Stage 2 Dorch kit has just arrived and will be fitted in 2 weeks, i am at stage 2 and during 3rd gear hard pulls toward the rev limiter i would get the revs sort of hesitating or bouncing just not linear so i was told this HPFP would solve the issue! the car has a custom tune so i am looking forward to seeing how it performs , anyone who has it installed does it add any real noise like the spool kit?
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      06-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #219
ferdee9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

hpfp labor times

how long should a reputable shop take+/-
for a HPFP/ turbo upgrade? I understand that will require a custom tune that's normally a separate charge.?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #220
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
My Stage 2 Dorch kit has just arrived and will be fitted in 2 weeks, i am at stage 2 and during 3rd gear hard pulls toward the rev limiter i would get the revs sort of hesitating or bouncing just not linear so i was told this HPFP would solve the issue! the car has a custom tune so i am looking forward to seeing how it performs , anyone who has it installed does it add any real noise like the spool kit?
I haven't noticed any additional noise whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
krizze924.00