BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Swapping tires at the dealer on delivery? Good idea? Not so good idea?

02-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Swapping tires at the dealer on delivery? Good idea? Not so good idea?

Gents--

I'm looking to swap the stock 245/265 PSS's on my incoming M2C with 255/275 PS4S's (i.e. a +1 size increase.)

My thought was to order them through Tire Rack (best price I've found), pick them up at the distribution center (saves $40), and deliver to my dealer to have them mounted just before I accept delivery of the car.

Buuuuutttt-- Now I'm thinking (probably an overabundance of caution) that the dealer could "redline" the car, or "flag" it due to "non-approved" parts.

I don't want to have to get approved from Corporate any time I go in for service or warranty work.

So-- Problem? Not a problem?

Am I better going elsewhere? My worry is that BMW would know how to do the swap without dinging the wheels-- whereas I wouldn't trust some of the Tire Rack installers in the area with the wheels from my 15 year old Honda, much less a brand new, expensive BMW.

Thoughts?

TIA--

R.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Personally, I would want the car as untouched and close to "factory" as possible for a number of reasons when taking delivery

Then again, I'm super OCD when it comes to my cars and my priorities are different than others

My advice would be to at least take the car for a nice long test drive before changing or doing anything to it

The factory wheels and tires are likely to be about as perfectly balanced as you'll ever get

In any case, if and when you do have the tires changed try to have them road force balanced and make certain the wheel weights are positioned correctly so as not to interfere with the front brake calipers (yes, the stock wheels are that close)
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I dont think your car will get flagged...imagine how many cars coming in for service would be. But like VT says, take your car stock, get a feel for it and see if you really need new tires right away. I think the MPSS are great tires (literally every piece of road debris will stick to that tire!!). You can always take to a competent tire place to swap later, or even the dealer. Get over the initial jitters of the M2 before messing with them.
I took my car to a classic car restoration guy to see about getting my muffler painted. He loved my car so much that we decided to leave her untouched, and for me to get back to him a few months later if I still wanted it painted. Good call. I dont want any muffler removal or over spray risk right now. Maybe in a bit...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
They aren't going to flag your car for swapping the tires, that's ridiculous.

If you really want then to do it, I'm sure they will. They might even do it for free on a new delivery. (Talk to your SA)
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      03-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
My advice would be to at least take the car for a nice long test drive before changing or doing anything to it
THIS, I learned my lesson the hard way. Always go for a long satisfying test drive before signing papers. (Interstate, City Streets, Neighborhoods)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

I don't get how having your local tire shop install the tires is less of a gamlbe then the dealer... and as others have said, try the car with the stock tires...save your money for lighter wheels or other way more worthwhile mods.