BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pilot super sports with cups

03-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

Pilot super sports with cups

Hi. My rears are on the way out and with a track day approaching I'm thinking they need replacing or definitely after the day. Has anyone ever run cups mixed with std pilot sports? Can't see why this wouldn't work. My fronts (PSS) still have plenty of life but with spring on the way I fancy the cups. Obviously better with them all round so may well just go with that.

Also, given this is one of the major changes for the M3CS and M4CS, do the cups make a big difference to handling/ feel?

Thanks,

Kris
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

cup 2s are amazing tires, but beware they are not meant for *ANY* driving in the wet. I would recommend getting them on all 4 though, it would not be balanced in terms of grip if you had fronts that weren't the same
      03-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Forward to 2:20, according to BMW, tires make or break a modern day vehicles's performance..

If you can swing it, go for the Cup 2s

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Bad idea, totally different compounds and grip levels. Will be very hard to balance the car. The end with the cups will have a lot more grip. I'm not a fan of cups, they are expensive and don't last that long and suck in the wet. Either run a high performance street tire like RE-71R, RS4, Rival 2 or move to a NT01 type tire.
Appreciate 1
M2GT120.00
      03-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

Cup 2 is actually excellent in wet read the reviews, im on my 2nd set, keep your psi low or they will wear fast, im runing 31-32 psi
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
Hi. My rears are on the way out and with a track day approaching I'm thinking they need replacing or definitely after the day. Has anyone ever run cups mixed with std pilot sports? Can't see why this wouldn't work. My fronts (PSS) still have plenty of life but with spring on the way I fancy the cups. Obviously better with them all round so may well just go with that.

Also, given this is one of the major changes for the M3CS and M4CS, do the cups make a big difference to handling/ feel?

Thanks,

Kris
I didn't own the Cups2 but I owned the cups 1 and they didn't work well cold. It's a track tire so they can get you in trouble cold. They also picked up a lot of rocks in the rubber. I don't think it's a good idea for the street unless the new Cup2 is amazingly better at those things.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I didn't own the Cups2 but I owned the cups 1 and they didn't work well cold. It's a track tire so they can get you in trouble cold. They also picked up a lot of rocks in the rubber. I don't think it's a good idea for the street unless the new Cup2 is amazingly better at those things.
No you're definitely on point here. The Cup 2s are tires that are made very specific to function in certain conditions, i.e. warmer DRY weather and when the car is going to be heating the tires up to temperature properly. Then they're AMAZING, but otherwise for a street tire, I don't think I'm going to be getting them anymore. The 4S will be perfect for every single task
      03-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
Cup 2 is actually excellent in wet read the reviews, im on my 2nd set, keep your psi low or they will wear fast, im runing 31-32 psi
You've obviously never actually driven cup 2's in standing water.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
      03-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_F87 View Post
Quote:
No you're definitely on point here. The Cup 2s are tires that are made very specific to function in certain conditions, i.e. warmer DRY weather and when the car is going to be heating the tires up to temperature properly. Then they're AMAZING, but otherwise for a street tire, I don't think I'm going to be getting them anymore. The 4S will be perfect for every single task
Yes that's the smart choice. It's easy forget you're on them. Then one day your heading off to work in the morning and and you get a nice opening in the traffic and you're like... hey let's wake up the beast and you mash it and next thing you know you're backwards in ice plant with a bent rim. On the other hand if you drive very little
And mostly track they are amazing hot. I bought mine for autocrossing but that was a fail too. They wouldn't fully heat up until the third and final run but by then they handled so differently it was hard to be smooth. As far as rain goes unless you live in the rain forest I have driven dry tires for decades going back to the Yokohama A008 which everyone was scared of. If it rained. I drove slowly and knowing they were not a great rain tire kept me from doing anything stupid. I never had an issue with those . Then I got some excellent dry/wet tires. They felt great in the wet so I got comfortable with them and one downpour I was going too fast for the conditions and I slid into a curb and almost rolled the car. I live in SoCal and I am shocked at the level of stupidity with people driving too fast and too close in the rain. Anyway, yes 4S will give you 90% of the dry performance without the drawbacks.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's the smart choice. It's easy forget you're on them. Then one day your heading off to work in the morning and and you get a nice opening in the traffic and you're like... hey let's wake up the beast and you mash it and next thing you know you're backwards in ice plant with a bent rim. On the other hand if you drive very little
And mostly track they are amazing hot. I bought mine for autocrossing but that was a fail too. They wouldn't fully heat up until the third and final run but by then they handled so differently it was hard to be smooth. As far as rain goes unless you live in the rain forest I have driven dry tires for decades going back to the Yokohama A008 which everyone was scared of. If it rained. I drove slowly and knowing they were not a great rain tire kept me from doing anything stupid. I never had an issue with those . Then I got some excellent dry/wet tires. They felt great in the wet so I got comfortable with them and one downpour I was going too fast for the conditions and I slid into a curb and almost rolled the car. I live in SoCal and I am shocked at the level of stupidity with people driving too fast and too close in the rain. Anyway, yes 4S will give you 90% of the dry performance without the drawbacks.
Very well said, I had a similar experience where I forgot about the tires I was on and slid into a curb, luckily didn't have any bad damage at all. These tires literally have zero grip in wet, which is why I won't buy them anymore. Just isn't worth it
      03-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Don't mix them. And don't be cheap - don't try to get "just one more weekend" out of a set of tires. It could cost you a lot more in the end. DAMHIK.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #12
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
You've obviously never actually driven cup 2's in standing water.
I have, they perform excellent for a summer tire, you are just a pussy
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Anyone mix the Pilot Super Sports with the Pilot 4S ?.....my PSS are fine up front but the rears are almost done. It seems they are similar enough grip they should be fine....mind you I will be doing a track day or two with the mix....so curious if others have any experience with this set up/situation?????
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
Anyone mix the Pilot Super Sports with the Pilot 4S ?.....my PSS are fine up front but the rears are almost done. It seems they are similar enough grip they should be fine....mind you I will be doing a track day or two with the mix....so curious if others have any experience with this set up/situation?????
Never done this myself. I like predictability from my tires, street or track. It would be a better pairing than MPSS and Sport Cups, but because they are not identical in compound and patter you may have slight understeer in some situations while getting slight oversteer in others. I wouldn't do it, but if you dive like a normal human being it's doable I suppose.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

My 2 cents, if I was just on street I’d mix ps4 and pss, but I daily drive my car in traffic and do not rip canyons or anything like that.
But on track you are relying on the grip levels of each axle way way more. I have only tracked matched tires and wouldn’t even think about mixing the axles with different tires. But then again I’m pushing the car to the point where all 4 tires are starting to slide a bit, so neutral handling is key for me to be consistent... on that note would you want to waste several laps adjusting to the different handling characteristics only to have to relearn it all again next time with a matched set?
I guess it depends on what you are doing with the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #16
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

i’d Pass on cups mixing front to rear with those is even a bigger difference in compound and grip and response to temp change of rubber.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #17
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Don't mix, please. It's a bad enough idea with tires of the same category.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #18
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
+1

we drove m2c with cup2 against m2c with pss in damp/wet conditions on mountain roads recently, my friend drove my car with the cup2 (stage2) and I drove his on pss (stock power/suspension) - it was hard to follow the cup2s when cornering even in the wet, I even got turn-in oversteer a few times with the pss!

both tires are bad at standing water, but for me the cup2 (with a bit of profile left) is/was better in every situation. tire warm I would also recommend max. 30PSI.

try mixed, if it don’t suits you buy a pair of front tires.. i sold my used PSS with 50% left for 600.-(4pcs)

may i ask you to buy a real semi-slick which is 285/30/19 Cup 2 R ZP corvette spec and try them all around? they should be with very great grip/traction - please find out for us!

Last edited by vale007; 07-02-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0