BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 OTS Help

03-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Update: 12th March 2019 ——

Ok so I tried 5.7 tonight and all I can say is YES!... THIS is what I was hoping for. I tried the OTS burbles first and was impressed but not quite what I wanted so I spent some time playing with custom settings and wow. I put Sport to 0.5 seconds and 0.5 aggression (with the aim of a very subtle burble in comfort mode) and then for Sport+ I tweaked it to 0.7 seconds (1 was too much, 0.5 was too short). And aggression to 7... ok, I know this might be silly but I had a lot of fun. Now when I rev it out to 4K+ on WOT and then release, it gives an almighty 'crack', which I love. I still notice for whatever reason Comfort has too much burble though, so either it's inheriting some settings from the Sport+ mode or I simply need to turn aggression 'off', not sure. Will tweak later. Nothing major though.

Now onto performance... still not the best weather to try it out in but yes, I can definitely notice some difference now. The wheels are spinning more easily than before and I don't feel it 'drop' higher in the Rev range as much as before. Can't wait for some summer weather to try some real tests.

All-in-all, very happy now. Performance is improved, burbles are awesome and cold-start delete is a god-send for my neighbours. I think the transmission thing must have just been in my head. Might try GTS transmission next week. Just wish my first impression was with 5.7 and not 5.6!

Original ——

Hi all,

I decided to give BM3 a go today and flash my M2 with a Stage 1 93 Octane tune. I'll be honest, I am a little disappointed and I am hoping someone can help!

First: It seems the gear change velocity from OEM Sport+ mode has been copied over to the standard Sport mode. While I understand this might improve shifting performance in Sport, I don't like it. Reason being is that I love the exhaust "thud" sound you get when shifting above 4k rpm in Sport mode. It seems with these OTS tunes the drama is replaced with shifting performance. If I want the best shifting performance however, I used to switch to Sport+ mode. Any remedy?

Second: The custom burble settings. Do these actually work!? I read that "Sport" equates to Comfort and "Sport+" equates to Sport/Sport+ in the car. Is this correct? I spent all evening playing around with these settings and they didn't seem to make any noticeable difference. Worse still, when I customised the "Sport" setting to have 0 duration and 0 aggression, my exhaust was still popping away in comfort mode (which is what I want to avoid).

Thirdly (and lastly): Is it just me or do these OTS tunes alter the way that slow-speed braking works with DCT? By this I mean when moving slowly in traffic and then coming to a stop, the car seems to now jolt suddenly to a stop.

If anyone is able to provide tips on any of the above it would be hugely appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Hi all,

I decided to give BM3 a go today and flash my M2 with a Stage 1 93 Octane tune. I'll be honest, I am a little disappointed and I am hoping someone can help!

First: It seems the gear change velocity from OEM Sport+ mode has been copied over to the standard Sport mode. While I understand this might improve shifting performance in Sport, I don't like it. Reason being is that I love the exhaust "thud" sound you get when shifting above 4k rpm in Sport mode. It seems with these OTS tunes the drama is replaced with shifting performance. If I want the best shifting performance however, I used to switch to Sport+ mode. Any remedy?

Second: The custom burble settings. Do these actually work!? I read that "Sport" equates to Comfort and "Sport+" equates to Sport/Sport+ in the car. Is this correct? I spent all evening playing around with these settings and they didn't seem to make any noticeable difference. Worse still, when I customised the "Sport" setting to have 0 duration and 0 aggression, my exhaust was still popping away in comfort mode (which is what I want to avoid).

Thirdly (and lastly): Is it just me or do these OTS tunes alter the way that slow-speed braking works with DCT? By this I mean when moving slowly in traffic and then coming to a stop, the car seems to now jolt suddenly to a stop.

If anyone is able to provide tips on any of the above it would be hugely appreciated!
To answer your question about burbles, there is an issue with v5.6 and burbles which is being addressed by the creator of the map.

Your correlation is correct for the custom settings for comfort and sport
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN1304.50
      03-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

As far as I'm aware, Bootmod3 doesn't touch the transmission unless you specifically flash the GTS transmission tune, which is separate from the other tunes.

About the burbles, nioh_lbbm2 is correct. There is a flaw in v5.6 that is affecting them.

I've never experienced any jolting to a stop when stepping on the brakes, and I live in a city where my average speed is under 15mph. The only jolting I feel is when I apply the throttle really lightly in first gear, seems like it's waiting for more power for the clutch to grab properly, but this happens completely stock too.
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN1304.50
      03-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
As far as I'm aware, Bootmod3 doesn't touch the transmission unless you specifically flash the GTS transmission tune, which is separate from the other tunes.

About the burbles, nioh_lbbm2 is correct. There is a flaw in v5.6 that is affecting them.

I've never experienced any jolting to a stop when stepping on the brakes, and I live in a city where my average speed is under 15mph. The only jolting I feel is when I apply the throttle really lightly in first gear, seems like it's waiting for more power for the clutch to grab properly, but this happens completely stock too.
Thanks for the replies guys, I will have another play tomorrow to see if the transmission thing is just in my head. Might revert back to stock to test.

Re the 5.6 issue, is there a way to flash an older version? If not, any idea when the fix is coming?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I will have another play tomorrow to see if the transmission thing is just in my head. Might revert back to stock to test.

Re the 5.6 issue, is there a way to flash an older version? If not, any idea when the fix is coming?
Any thoughts on the performance bump?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Shifting and brake issues are all just in your mind. DME flash cannot touch these area.

Burble is a complicated thing to tune. It's true the BM3 burble adjustment bar is a hit or miss. But, to be fair, no one aside from BM3 offers any level of burble customization. You can ignore this feature with BM3, yet at minimum you always have OTS/AGG/OEM options. Think about it, how great is that.
D CHOI580.00
      03-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

He said an update is coming tomorrow so maybe just hold tight for that?
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
NathObeaN1304.50
      03-12-2019, 04:01 AM   #8
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Shifting and brake issues are all just in your mind. DME flash cannot touch these area.

Burble is a complicated thing to tune. It's true the BM3 burble adjustment bar is a hit or miss. But, to be fair, no one aside from BM3 offers any level of burble customization. You can ignore this feature with BM3, yet at minimum you always have OTS/AGG/OEM options. Think about it, how great is that.
Thanks Sean. Normally I would agree with you but the shifting does feel different (I really hope it's not in my mind!). I think this is two-fold. Firstly, I have the cold-start delete which means for the first 5 or so minutes the car does behave differently anyway (no lurching or weird gear shifts due to heat-up cycle). Secondly, part of me is wondering whether the GTS transmission tune is applied alongside the flash? I haven't gone WOT testing so I can't speak for performance shifting, but sticking it in automatic/comfort the car definitely feels a lot smoother. It seems to shift-down more smoothly without any lurching and it seems to shift up earlier. I do think the braking was in my head, but the rest definitely feels different. Unless this is just the car "learning" the new tune...

As for the burble setting. Absolutely, it's a bonus over most other tunes, but, I did buy BM3 with the burble configuration being one of the selling points for me. I have tried simply applying the OTS variant but unfortunately the Comfort burble, for whatever reason, is noticeably louder (but perhaps shorter) then the Sport burble. I am happy to wait for the fix that others have mentioned though (or just go back to OEM).

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #9
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Not yet, it's too early for me to say at the moment. The weather is quite bad so I can't effectively go WOT. My first impressions are it's not a "wow" factor, but I wasn't expecting that anyway. I would suspect at most the WHP gain is around 20-30 so it would be a little hard to really tell anyway. However, the power curve feels smoother and I would hazard a guess and say that the top end is a little more consistent. Don't quote me on it though, I need to test properly
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:03 AM   #10
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quote:
Not yet, it's too early for me to say at the moment. The weather is quite bad so I can't effectively go WOT. My first impressions are it's not a "wow" factor, but I wasn't expecting that anyway. I would suspect at most the WHP gain is around 20-30 so it would be a little hard to really tell anyway. However, the power curve feels smoother and I would hazard a guess and say that the top end is a little more consistent. Don't quote me on it though, I need to test properly

How much would the torque increase be with the STG1 OTG 93 octane tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

Thanks Sean. Normally I would agree with you but the shifting does feel different (I really hope it's not in my mind!). I think this is two-fold. Firstly, I have the cold-start delete which means for the first 5 or so minutes the car does behave differently anyway (no lurching or weird gear shifts due to heat-up cycle). Secondly, part of me is wondering whether the GTS transmission tune is applied alongside the flash? I haven't gone WOT testing so I can't speak for performance shifting, but sticking it in automatic/comfort the car definitely feels a lot smoother. It seems to shift-down more smoothly without any lurching and it seems to shift up earlier. I do think the braking was in my head, but the rest definitely feels different. Unless this is just the car "learning" the new tune...

As for the burble setting. Absolutely, it's a bonus over most other tunes, but, I did buy BM3 with the burble configuration being one of the selling points for me. I have tried simply applying the OTS variant but unfortunately the Comfort burble, for whatever reason, is noticeably louder (but perhaps shorter) then the Sport burble. I am happy to wait for the fix that others have mentioned though (or just go back to OEM).

Thanks again
When you flash I believe the car does reset adaptions. Not sure if that resets any transmission learnings. I never drive in auto mode so I couldn't say how that's changed if at all when you flash.

From what I understand the GTS flash really aggressively gets to the highest gear it can pretty much lugging the engine. However in manual mode I guess the shifts are smoother and faster.

I think it's unlikely that the transmission was flashed at the same time, other people would have noticed by now because people generally hate the behavior of the GTS flash. So you would had to flash your transmission accidently yourself, and I doubt you can make that mistake.
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN1304.50
      03-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
When you flash I believe the car does reset adaptions. Not sure if that resets any transmission learnings. I never drive in auto mode so I couldn't say how that's changed if at all when you flash.

From what I understand the GTS flash really aggressively gets to the highest gear it can pretty much lugging the engine. However in manual mode I guess the shifts are smoother and faster.

I think it's unlikely that the transmission was flashed at the same time, other people would have noticed by now because people generally hate the behavior of the GTS flash. So you would had to flash your transmission accidently yourself, and I doubt you can make that mistake.
Usually I don't drive auto but due to the burble "bug" with 5.6 I had no choice but to go auto just to avoid the OTT burble in comfort mode haha.

Once I am satisfied with the OTS tune I will give the GTS transmission tune a go as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

For now you can flash "OEM" burble so that there aren't any crazy burbles in comfort mode.

Alternatively you can go to custom settings and turn duration and aggression to the lowest for Sport and leave Sport+ untouched
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN1304.50
      03-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #14
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
For now you can flash "OEM" burble so that there aren't any crazy burbles in comfort mode.

Alternatively you can go to custom settings and turn duration and aggression to the lowest for Sport and leave Sport+ untouched
I will revert to OEM. I tried custom settings exactly as you said but unfortunately it did not have an effect and Comfort was still louder. Plan is to use OEM now and 5.7 patch when released.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      03-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I will revert to OEM. I tried custom settings exactly as you said but unfortunately it did not have an effect and Comfort was still louder. Plan is to use OEM now and 5.7 patch when released.
Ok scrap that. I flashed OEM burble, drove it home and the behaviour is still broken. Definitely not behaving as OEM. No idea what is going on but I'm guessing the burble issue with 5.6 lays outside of just the burble configuration. Time to be patient for 5.7
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok scrap that. I flashed OEM burble, drove it home and the behaviour is still broken. Definitely not behaving as OEM. No idea what is going on but I'm guessing the burble issue with 5.6 lays outside of just the burble configuration. Time to be patient for 5.7
5.7 is out!!! Can't wait to try it on mine
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

5.7 is out!!! Can't wait to try it on mine
Ok so I tried 5.7 tonight and all I can say is YES!... THIS is what I was hoping for. I tried the OTS burbles first and was impressed but not quite what I wanted so I spent some time playing with custom settings and wow. I put Sport to 0.5 seconds and 0.5 aggression (with the aim of a very subtle burble in comfort mode) and then for Sport+ I tweaked it to 0.7 seconds (1 was too much, 0.5 was too short). And aggression to 7... ok, I know this might be silly but I had a lot of fun. Now when I rev it out to 4K+ on WOT and then release, it gives an almighty 'crack', which I love. I still notice for whatever reason Comfort has too much burble though, so either it's inheriting some settings from the Sport+ mode or I simply need to turn aggression 'off', not sure. Will tweak later. Nothing major though.

Now onto performance... still not the best weather to try it out in but yes, I can definitely notice some difference now. The wheels are spinning more easily than before and I don't feel it 'drop' higher in the Rev range as much as before. Can't wait for some summer weather to try some real tests.

All-in-all, very happy now. Performance is improved, burbles are awesome and cold-start delete is a god-send for my neighbours. I think the transmission thing must have just been in my head. Might try GTS transmission next week. Just wish my first impression was with 5.7 and not 5.6!
Appreciate 1
akkando5860.00
      03-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #18
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Fantastic to hear you had good results! End of workday needs to come quicker. I'll end up doing some logs of v5.7 as well just to see how it compares. Just for my own peace of mind
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115175.50
      03-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Fantastic to hear you had good results! End of workday needs to come quicker. I'll end up doing some logs of v5.7 as well just to see how it compares. Just for my own peace of mind
Please share the log if available.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #20
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
I'll try and get some this weekend. not sure if it's placebo or not but it feels much smoother than v5.6. not sure how to explain it but i'm liking it. I'm running stage 1 91 oct
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #21
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
I'll try and get some this weekend. not sure if it's placebo or not but it feels much smoother than v5.6. not sure how to explain it but i'm liking it. I'm running stage 1 91 oct
I loved 5.6 power except burble and just hope 5.7 keeps the same power or more would be great with burble.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #22
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Still no real dynos of the BM3 93 map with everything else stock?
Appreciate 0