BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Mode Carbon Rear Spoiler

03-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Mode Carbon Rear Spoiler

Got my carbon spoiler in the other day and decided to get it installed. Taking the old 3M tape off was probably one of the most physically tedious and daunting things I've done all week! My fingers are still in pain.

Anyway pics below, let me know what you guys think about placement/fitment. I tried my best with it, but it's only my second time putting something like this on a car and I am sure I didn't get everything perfectly aligned as the edges of the spoiler seem to be slightly raised off the deck lid- don't know if this is a placement mistake or a fitment issue.

[IMG][/IMG]

03-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Looks great except for those raised edges on the corners. Are all of them like that!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Looks great except for those raised edges on the corners. Are all of them like that!
Yeah that's what I want to know as well, looks awful on the edges and I don't want to use any adhesion promoter on the car as I'd like to be able to take it off eventually.

I don't know if it was a fitment issue (more likely) or if maybe I placed the spoiler incorrectly on the decklid. I don't mind taking it off and buying some more tape and re-doing it but I'd like to know if this is a manufacturing issue before I go about doing it.

Surface prep included a full wash then IPA wipedown. Used goo gone to get the old tape off and had that decklid spotless when I installed the new spoiler.
      03-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIGUY1992 View Post
Yeah that's what I want to know as well, looks awful on the edges and I don't want to use any adhesion promoter on the car as I'd like to be able to take it off eventually.

I don't know if it was a fitment issue (more likely) or if maybe I placed the spoiler incorrectly on the decklid. I don't mind taking it off and buying some more tape and re-doing it but I'd like to know if this is a manufacturing issue before I go about doing it.

Surface prep included a full wash then IPA wipedown. Used goo gone to get the old tape off and had that decklid spotless when I installed the new spoiler.
Would be nice to hear from mode carbon on this. I'm about to order one (not necessarily from them) but I do remember people mentioning this before about the BMW M-performance one too at some point in the past.

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Would be nice to hear from mode carbon on this. I'm about to order one (not necessarily from them) but I do remember people mentioning this before about the BMW M-performance one too at some point in the past.
Well I tried to work on it a bit last night, took a heat gun to the tape and warmed it up and tried to put some elbow into bending it down... It looks marginally better now, but still raised on the edges.

Agreed, some input from Mode Carbon would be appreciated here for sure!
      03-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Ideally you should use 3m adhesion promoter and tape down the edges for a day. Even with the M Performance spoiler it's a fight to keep the edges down but it should fit better than your pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

I see, I have used the adhesion promoter before and as I understand it that stuff is a one and done type deal in that it will never remove fully, and is not recommended if you want to remove the spoiler at any time. I already had a hell of a time getting the foam tape off the old factory spoiler so I don't want to have anything worse than that.

I was able to fight the spoiler down a bit like you said, with some heat and heavy (read full body weight) leaning! I am going to give it a week to "settle" and try to get some updated images for everyone. The problem I am having is that no matter how much weight I put on it, it seems to want to come back up on the last 2-3" of spoiler on each side.
      03-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

What do you mean the promoter will never remove? It may leave some hazing on your clear coat but you should be able to polish it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Why doesn't someone just manufacturer one with the proper shape so it doesnt lift on the edges...

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
KeepItlow
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Car

Never actually know there's 3M adhesive promoter until I read this thread..

A little search and this came up, it does stick very well but definitely wouldn't want to remove that!

Appreciate 1
      03-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #11
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
What do you mean the promoter will never remove? It may leave some hazing on your clear coat but you should be able to polish it off.
I mean it will be an absolute mess to remove, per the video posted. That stuff is near permanent and I would rather not deal with it personally.
      03-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #12
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
The best way to weed out fitment issues is to test the spoiler prior to installing. This way, if the edges are raised before laying the item down then you may always reach out for a replacement.
Quote:
OP, I would highly recommend removing the spoiler and performing a dry test-fit. If the edges are still raising then please contact us for a replacement right away. Thank you.
I was not aware of this, thank you! I will remove the spoiler and do a dry fit this weekend and get back to you. When I did my initial test fit I had just about the same amount of raising on the edges, but I will do a new dry fit and get some images for you for your input.

Thanks Sam!
      03-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Excellent, please share the results as soon as you have them.

If the dry test-fit is still troublesome then we will dispatch a replacement straight away.
Hey Sam, I let the car sit for a few days (3) and after getting back from a trip I took a look today and it seems that the entire spoiler is raised on the edges and does not fit the contour of the trunk lid- it has basically gone back to the position in the original images I linked. It seems to be the last 3-4 inches on each side that suffer the most noticeable fitment issues.

I will get in touch with your direct contact line and fill out a request for a new spoiler and attach some images thru email for any verification that you need. Hopefully this doesn't mean another 1.5-2 month wait time! Will this be the preferred method of contact or would you be my point of contact for this matter?

However I must say how impressed I was with the actual carbon weave and clear coat quality- zero visual imperfections there, it makes just about any wait time worth it.
      03-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Well that was quick! Got a call from Sam telling me they have units in stock and this was likely just a small quality issue- one that they will be looking into as well with the returned unit it seems. They were more than happy to send me out a replacement asap- despite me being outside of their return window if I understood our conversation correctly, and in discussion with Sam it is clear they take their quality assurance process very seriously.

Overall like I said before, the quality of the unit itself is very high in regards to the weave itself and the clear coat but working in automotive OEM myself I know that fitment issues like this will happen to the best companies and best products. It's nice to see Mode willing to work with me on the matter and help find an amicable resolution.
      03-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIGUY1992 View Post
Well that was quick! Got a call from Sam telling me they have units in stock and this was likely just a small quality issue- one that they will be looking into as well with the returned unit it seems. They were more than happy to send me out a replacement asap- despite me being outside of their return window if I understood our conversation correctly, and in discussion with Sam it is clear they take their quality assurance process very seriously.

Overall like I said before, the quality of the unit itself is very high in regards to the weave itself and the clear coat but working in automotive OEM myself I know that fitment issues like this will happen to the best companies and best products. It's nice to see Mode willing to work with me on the matter and help find an amicable resolution.
Good to hear, always nice to see a vendor back the product. Let us know how the new one fits man!

Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #16
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear, always nice to see a vendor back the product. Let us know how the new one fits man!
Absolutely, will do.

I think it'll be a good opportunity to also do a quick walk through/install guide on prep/fitting as at this point I have redone this install like 4(!) times now to make sure it wasn't an issue on my end, ha.
      03-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #17
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We will have your replacement ready to ship next week. Anytime you have a problem feel free to reach out to us directly though email/phone and we would be more than happy to assist you. That goes for anybody for that matter, all that we ask is that you contact us in a timely fashion to respect our shipping and return policy requirements. Feedback is always welcome and we look forward to completing your RMA process.
Thanks so much Sam, sorry I haven't had time to get back to your email. Been traveling all last week without access to my dang personal email

I'll get back to you this weekend when I get home.

Again, I think it is worth re-iterating how much they went out of their way to make this right. Quite impressed with their overall response and how quick they were to try and make this right for a single random customer. I've had quite a few cars with various mods from other companies and I have never gotten this level of communication and response from any other company. Easy to tell I'm impressed.
      03-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #18
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
What's the difference between this and the M-Performance version?
      03-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #19
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

If you mount the spoiler to far back on the trunk the edges will not line up.
      03-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
If you mount the spoiler to far back on the trunk the edges will not line up.
Duly noted for the next try thanks! I sent quite a few images back to Mode showing mounting location and fitment, and I used their website images as reference for mounting location but I will pay extra attention to it this time.

For what it's worth, I played with mounting a few times but I was never able to get the first unit to line up on the edges.
      06-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #21
wgeffon
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

I just installed my Mode Carbon Spoiler this week.
The tips on both sides are raised very slightly off the trunk. It looks like just the thickness of the tape in those areas are what’s causing it not to sit flush.

Im ok with it. I doubt anyone but me is going to notice it.
(For reference, It’s not as bad as the OP’s pics)

Overall, it looks great.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #22
c_w
Rep
Drives: M2

From the op’s photo it was stuck too far on the bootlid. Fitted a genuine M Performance one and the is a tiny lip that butts to the back edge of the bootlid.

Dry fitting is key thiugh, I used masking tape and rubber blocks so that the spoiler would drop in the right position when the backing tape was removed
Appreciate 0