BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Chase Reserve vs Amex Platinum

02-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Chase Reserve vs Amex Platinum

Looking for new travel/points card. I'm have a hard time picking one of the two. Would love some feedback on people who own these cards. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Personally prefer the AMEX platinum. I travel a lot and the lounges are a huge plus along with the Priority Pass perks for other areas. With all the other perks like Uber credits and global entry reimbursement it more than pays for itself if you use it.
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilki0101 View Post
Personally prefer the AMEX platinum. I travel a lot and the lounges are a huge plus along with the Priority Pass perks for other areas. With all the other perks like Uber credits and global entry reimbursement it more than pays for itself if you use it.
Reserve has pretty much all the same benefits besides uber credits.

I have the reserve and like it a lot. The lounge access, global entry reimbursement, $300 per year travel credit, etc are all pretty nice. I believe when I compared the two the Reserve was the better value and more for your money.
Appreciate 2
R3dliner934.50
      02-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:
Reserve has pretty much all the same benefits besides uber credits.

I have the reserve and like it a lot. The lounge access, global entry reimbursement, $300 per year travel credit, etc are all pretty nice. I believe when I compared the two the Reserve was the better value and more for your money.
A lot is same but for me the big difference is the centurion lounge and admirals club. Most airports I fly have those and they are considerably nicer than United and Delta. Citi is also coming out with a new card this year that may be worth looking into
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Thanks guys. From what I've gathered, Amex has 5x travel points while reserve is only 3x but reserve includes dining but with amex does not.

Also with Amex you get 60k points compared to the 50k points on reserve. Little higher annual fee on the amex (but that's really trivial)
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Been using Reserve as my main card since it first came out. Just got another invite from Amex for 100,000 bonus points that I’m considering signing up for. Thinking it through because they have similar benefits and I don’t really want to pay the $550 annual fee on the Amex.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Been using Reserve as my main card since it first came out. Just got another invite from Amex for 100,000 bonus points that I’m considering signing up for. Thinking it through because they have similar benefits and I don’t really want to pay the $550 annual fee on the Amex.
I downgraded from a reserve to sapphire preferred. I use that as my go to for auto bill pay but use AMEX for travel and other purchase. This way i can transfer all sapphire points to travel partners for airline tickets or other purchase but still gain more points on my other everyday purchases.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post

Also with Amex you get 60k points compared to the 50k points on reserve. Little higher annual fee on the amex (but that's really trivial)
Yeah see I also got on board with the reserve when they had 100k points bonus, so it was easily the winner then.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I had reserve. The lounge access pretty much sucks for domestic flights - none for domestic flights at my airport. For international, there's only 1 Priority Pass lounge at my airport and it is usually packed to the point that they may not let you in. For other airports overseas, it is fine. I can see Centurion having an advantage in lounge access.

Otherwise Reserve was pretty good. I don't travel as much so I couldn't justify the annual fee so I canceled it. I get most of the rewards fee free in my Uber Visa.
      02-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I downgraded from a reserve to sapphire preferred. I use that as my go to for auto bill pay but use AMEX for travel and other purchase. This way i can transfer all sapphire points to travel partners for airline tickets or other purchase but still gain more points on my other everyday purchases.
I’ve always thought that Amex is limited for traveling z worked with a girl who had that and she said she couldn’t even use it in Canada. I travel all over the world and usually pay with credit cards so not sure if Amex is not as widely accepted as Visa. Did you run into any of those issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Keep in mind the Chase Reserve has a $300 annual travel credit. So that pretty much drops the $450 annual fee to $150.

(edit) I see Amex Plat has $200 annual, but only in airline credit. So the Chase reserve is used on anything classified as travel such as; airbnb, any hotel place/reserve site, car rental, etc..
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      02-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’ve always thought that Amex is limited for traveling z worked with a girl who had that and she said she couldn’t even use it in Canada. I travel all over the world and usually pay with credit cards so not sure if Amex is not as widely accepted as Visa. Did you run into any of those issues?
Amex is definitely a little more limited overseas/out of USA in my experience, not a TON though. Everywhere practically takes Visa, not everyone takes Amex.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #13
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep in mind the Chase Reserve has a $300 annual travel credit. So that pretty much drops the $450 annual fee to $150.

(edit) I see Amex Plat has $200 annual, but only in airline credit. So the Chase reserve is used on anything classified as travel such as; airbnb, any hotel place/reserve site, car rental, etc..
Yup. That was one of the main reasons it’s my main card.

I see it as $150 annual fee. Sapphire Preferred is $95. Reserve points are worth 50% more and we get 3x points vs 2x. So overall it’s better value than Preferred. Must admit that there were a few occasions where I wished I had the Amex for access to Admirals and Centurion lounges.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Only place I have had limitations so far for travel was the Cayman Islands. Few places took Amex there but wasn't a big issue to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

im surprised nobody mentioned the recently revised citi presitge card.

i currently have both reserve and plat but honestly don't use the plat much anymore, thinking about downgrading to gold.

the only benefit i see with the plat is the customer service and centurion lounge at airports. points wise ever since the reserve came out i have been using plat less and less.

the citi prestige offers crazy points potential, however their programs and connections don't seem that good such as amex and chase.
      02-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

That Amex Plat $200 flight credit has to be a pre-chosen airline too, compared with the other cards that lump travel into the credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
im surprised nobody mentioned the recently revised citi presitge card.

i currently have both reserve and plat but honestly don't use the plat much anymore, thinking about downgrading to gold.

the only benefit i see with the plat is the customer service and centurion lounge at airports. points wise ever since the reserve came out i have been using plat less and less.

the citi prestige offers crazy points potential, however their programs and connections don't seem that good such as amex and chase.
Is the new Prestige Card out now? I have the original and the best part is Priority Pass for all members of family vs. 2-3 guests for most other cars, and the 4th night free perk.

There's also the new Marriott Bonvoy card with $450 annual fee but $300 in annual credit at Marriott properties, one night free up to 50,000 points a year and $100 food credit at their premium like like Ritz and St. Regis with no limit a year for now. It has the usual Priority Pass lounges and $100 for TSA/GOES pass credit. You'll make money with the $300 credit, and one night stay alone. There's also a 100,000 sign up bonus but Marriott points are worth as much as other points.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:12 AM   #17
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card (Amex) here. I would suggest a credit card for air miles with an air line of your choosing if it's mostly air travel you're after.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:13 AM   #18
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I kinda have both (I have CSR, wife has AmEx Platium, she had CSR but cancelled to get AmEx Plat).

Both have travel insurance, not sure about lost luggage and flight delays (I know CSR has them and we just got the AMEX card in December so I’m not sure)

CSR, $300 travel credit, can use it on hotels, car rental, flights, tolls, and even parking.

AP is $200 and they make you jump thru hoops to get it. only receive credit on a pre designated airline for extra costs like baggage or extra charges but not on actual flights.

I selected Southwest and was able to purchase gift cards with them for $200. I think you can do the same with AA

CSR 3x travel and dinning. AP 5X on travel, 1% on dining

CSR gives you 50% bonus when you book hotel/air/car rental thru them. They use Expedia and I have found their prices to be 1-5% more than Expedia or direct booking. The 50% bonus more than off-sets the slightly higher prices. Example. I booked 8 nights in Bali at a hotel that was about $140/night if you booked directly with the hotel. CSR was $150/night. But by using points and 50% bonus, I used 80,000 points (equivalent of $800). I saved $400 or 40k points.

AP has Centurion and Admirals lounges
AP has $200 Uber credits ($15 for Jan-Nov, $35 for Dec, that's how they give you $200. So, if you don't use $15/month, you lose it and do not carry over to next month. You can also use Uber Eats for this).
AP has $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit ($50 Jan-June $50 July-Dec). Another use it or lose it type of deal.
AP also has partnerships with various online and brick and mortar shops where you get things like $20 off $100 purchase or bonus points. I’ve already used it from Oakley and saved $20 off $100. So, that’s worth something too.

Both has Global Entry and Priority Pass, so that's a null.

CSR $450 Annual: True $300 travel credit, it brings it down to $150
AP $550 Annual: $200 Sudo airline credit, $200 Uber, $100 Saks. It's $50.

CSR gives you 50k after you spend X amount. AP gave us 75k. Someone said they received 100k, you can check online to see if you qualify for it, we did not. (I forgot what the link, you can probably google it)

My wife travels more so we decided due to additional lounge access, it was better to put it under her name and vs. mine.

For those using CSR, I would highly recommend getting the Chase Freedom Unlimited and use it for non dining/travel as they give you 1.5% vs. 1%. Since all your accounts are linked, you can transfer the points from FU to your CSR rewards to max out the bonus 50% travel bonus when booking with Chase.

I know your original question was which one is better, for $200 out of pocket and additional lounges if you travel, it’s totally worth getting both IMHO. If you don’t travel very much, then maybe AP if you can fly SWA or AA after buying GC to bring your out of pocket costs down.

I hope this helps.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2019, 01:20 AM   #19
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I had reserve. The lounge access pretty much sucks for domestic flights - none for domestic flights at my airport. For international, there's only 1 Priority Pass lounge at my airport and it is usually packed to the point that they may not let you in. For other airports overseas, it is fine. I can see Centurion having an advantage in lounge access.

Otherwise Reserve was pretty good. I don't travel as much so I couldn't justify the annual fee so I canceled it. I get most of the rewards fee free in my Uber Visa.
You can now use the two restaurants at T3 if you have PP for $30 worth of food credit.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/airp...nal/terminal-3
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #20
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
AMEX Platinum. The benefits of simply having one as a safety net for anything that may occur cannot be stated, especially if one travels overseas frequently. I have only run into a few situations when the Platinum isn't taken and the backing that AMEX gives you as a traveler is unparalleled. Additionally, though they are few and far between, Centurion Lounges are a godsend.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      02-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #21
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
AMEX platinum holder here for about 6 years: the only places ive found that do not accept it are smaller local places (europe, caribbean, mexico, and canada). never any issues with large national / international businesses / chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
AMEX Platinum. The benefits of simply having one as a safety net for anything that may occur cannot be stated, especially if one travels overseas frequently. I have only run into a few situations when the Platinum isn't taken and the backing that AMEX gives you as a traveler is unparalleled. Additionally, though they are few and far between, Centurion Lounges are a godsend.
this has always been my justification for keeping the AMEX platinum. while ive never needed to exercise the full extent of its powers, i do have close friends who travel frequently who swear the card has saved their a$$e$ multiple times over the years.

not to mention: it's pretty cool to be carrying around a card that empowers you to walk into a BMW dealership, slap down the card, and just walk out with a brand new M5 competition.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 2
R3dliner934.50
MKSixer34171.50
      02-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

There’s an article on thepointsguy.com saying that you can travel the world in 1st class for 125,000 Amex points. That’s one of the reasons I’d do that. Accumulated 500,000 points on CSR and have used that on hotels and flights the last 3 years. It’s pretty awesome not having to pay for those things.
Appreciate 0