BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > PPF Question

02-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

PPF Question

Hi Folks,

Wanted to ask for those who have done XPEL - how long does it usually take for the installer to complete a full front end/rocker panels/rear quarter panel job?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
StavsM2C119.00
      02-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
StavsM2C
CSOUSAX603
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M2C SO DCT+EP

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Hi Folks,

Wanted to ask for those who have done XPEL - how long does it usually take for the installer to complete a full front end/rocker panels/rear quarter panel job?

Thanks!
Ummmm a day max...but truly depends on experience with installing it on the vehicles model
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      02-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StavsM2C View Post
Ummmm a day max...but truly depends on experience with installing it on the vehicles model
Thanks Stavs!
Appreciate 1
StavsM2C119.00
      02-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks!
1 day. Dropped it off the night before got it the next evening.

Very professional shop, they are highly rated in my area
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      02-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks!
1 day. Dropped it off the night before got it the next evening.

Very professional shop, they are highly rated in my area
Thanks Spets!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Your car is LBB, so this isn't likely an issue for you, and it isn't directly related to your question vis how long it takes, but ...
for anyone contemplating Xpel on a white car, consider this. The leading edge of every piece of Xpel on your car will likely turn black with dirt that gathers just inside the edge and cannot be cleaned off without peeling back the Xpel. I had Xpel applied to my AW M2 along the rocker panels, replaced the factory pieces on the rear quarter panels just behind the doors, and applied to the rear fenders behind the wheels. It was applied by an authorized Xpel installer here in CT. Within a year, every single leading edge of the Xpel was black with dirt and could not be removed because the dirt gets under the edge of the Xpel. So my car was protected against chips, but had black lines at the front of the rocker panels, front of the rear quarter panels, and front edge of the application just behind the rear wheels. I got so sick of looking at the black lines that I had all the Xpel removed. Just one person's experience, and on the most likely color to have this problem (AW).
      02-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Your car is LBB, so this isn't likely an issue for you, and it isn't directly related to your question vis how long it takes, but ...
for anyone contemplating Xpel on a white car, consider this. The leading edge of every piece of Xpel on your car will likely turn black with dirt that gathers just inside the edge and cannot be cleaned off without peeling back the Xpel. I had Xpel applied to my AW M2 along the rocker panels, replaced the factory pieces on the rear quarter panels just behind the doors, and applied to the rear fenders behind the wheels. It was applied by an authorized Xpel installer here in CT. Within a year, every single leading edge of the Xpel was black with dirt and could not be removed because the dirt gets under the edge of the Xpel. So my car was protected against chips, but had black lines at the front of the rocker panels, front of the rear quarter panels, and front edge of the application just behind the rear wheels. I got so sick of looking at the black lines that I had all the Xpel removed. Just one person's experience, and on the most likely color to have this problem (AW).
Thanks for the heads up on this. Is something like this covered under warranty from the installer you used? Would you recommend that installer as well? Feel free to PM!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on this. Is something like this covered under warranty from the installer you used? Would you recommend that installer as well? Feel free to PM!
This could be due to a multitude of factors. I am not saying this installer was bad, however, a poor PPF application and/or aggressively cleaning against the leading edge of the PPF could cause some lifting whereas dirt would collect beneath. An excellent installer in NY used to tell clients to wash and wax with a mitt/applicator moving from the PPF to the paint not the the other way.

I have had three white cars wrapped with PPF, two of which were with Xpel Ultimate including the white GT3 below. One was wrapped for 10 years without issue. My HS M2C is also wrapped. I do not have any issues with black marks failing to come off the leading edges.

Some PPF has been known to yellow on white cars over time; usually anywhere from 5-10 years depending on other issues. I believe this has been corrected with the latest films.

Last edited by devo; 02-18-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

1 day. You can watch the entire process in my signature...IG story from DetailersDomain
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      02-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
This could be due to a multitude of factors. I am not saying this installer was bad, however, a poor PPF application and/or aggressively cleaning against the leading edge of the PPF could cause some lifting whereas dirt would collect beneath. An excellent installer in NY used to tell clients to wash and wax with a mitt/applicator moving from the PPF to the paint not the the other way.

I have had three white cars wrapped with PPF, two of which were with Xpel Ultimate including the white GT3 below. One was wrapped for 10 years without issue. My HS M2C is also wrapped. I do not have any issues with black marks failing to come off the leading edges.

Some PPF has been known to yellow on white cars over time; usually anywhere from 5-10 years depending on other issues. I believe this has been corrected with the latest films.
I have no doubt that there are folks with white cars and Xpel with no problems and perhaps it was the installer, although this one seems quite large (for Connecticut) and reputable. They told me that this problem is unavoidable because no matter how well the Xpel is applied, over time some dirt is going to collect under the leading edge. Think of it this way... you can without too much effort peal the stuff off with a finger nail; it makes sense that wind-driven dirt can accumulate under the edge. I am fanatical about car care and wash my cars very carefully, mitt-applicator, film to paint. Just my experience. I took the car to a professional detailer to have the Xpel film removed and he wasn't surprised by the black dirt lines.
BTW, you mentioned the PPF yellowing on white cars. On my car the factory film on the rear quarter panels had yellowed after a year, not much but noticeable. That was one reason why I had it replaced with Xpel.
I have a 2020 M2C (HS, not AW) coming and I will have the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels PPFd, but this time it will be wrapped AROUND the front edge of the rocker panel (just inside the wheel well) and AROUND the rear wheel opening lips. I like the protection against stone chips, but HS is a light color and I don't want to take chances on more black lines on the body, no matter how subtle they might be.
      02-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
I have no doubt that there are folks with white cars and Xpel with no problems and perhaps it was the installer, although this one seems quite large (for Connecticut) and reputable. They told me that this problem is unavoidable because no matter how well the Xpel is applied, over time some dirt is going to collect under the leading edge. Think of it this way... you can without too much effort peal the stuff off with a finger nail; it makes sense that wind-driven dirt can accumulate under the edge. I am fanatical about car care and wash my cars very carefully, mitt-applicator, film to paint. Just my experience. I took the car to a professional detailer to have the Xpel film removed and he wasn't surprised by the black dirt lines.
BTW, you mentioned the PPF yellowing on white cars. On my car the factory film on the rear quarter panels had yellowed after a year, not much but noticeable. That was one reason why I had it replaced with Xpel.
I have a 2020 M2C (HS, not AW) coming and I will have the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels PPFd, but this time it will be wrapped AROUND the front edge of the rocker panel (just inside the wheel well) and AROUND the rear wheel opening lips. I like the protection against stone chips, but HS is a light color and I don't want to take chances on more black lines on the body, no matter how subtle they might be.
The factory PPF on BMWs and Porsches sucks. It yellows so fast. You are right in what you are intending to do and wrap the edges as much as possible. It's looks better even if dirt never got underneath.
      02-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Factory one is 3M I think, it will turn yellow in future.

Replace it with Xpel. It has more coverage too.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Factory one is 3M I think, it will turn yellow in future.

Replace it with Xpel. It has more coverage too.
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I was thinking the other day of having an additional layer of Xpel put over my full quarter panels... What I mean is do a partial rear quarter panel on top of the full rear quarter. This way I could peel off the partial when it gets damaged and redo it, instead of re-doing the entire quarter panel. However my installer said that won't work because the Xpel will stick to itself and peel off the full layer with it. Kinda unrelated to this thread, but I wanted to share my thought anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I was thinking the other day of having an additional layer of Xpel put over my full quarter panels... What I mean is do a partial rear quarter panel on top of the full rear quarter. This way I could peel off the partial when it gets damaged and redo it, instead of re-doing the entire quarter panel. However my installer said that won't work because the Xpel will stick to itself and peel off the full layer with it. Kinda unrelated to this thread, but I wanted to share my thought anyway.
I did that on my GT3 covering the wide hips wide a custom made "shark fin". My installer said he has had good results removing the top layer. Either way, rocks had busted through a single layer in that area. I'd rather had double coverage in a high impact area like this and never remove the top piece than have it broken through.
      02-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I did that on my GT3 covering the wide hips wide a custom made "shark fin". My installer said he has had good results removing the top layer. Either way, rocks had busted through a single layer in that area. I'd rather had double coverage in a high impact area like this and never remove the top piece than have it broken through.
Hmm, maybe I will try it then. I'm not sure my installer has ever actually done it and was just going by what he thinks would happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #17
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Hmm, maybe I will try it then. I'm not sure my installer has ever actually done it and was just going by what he thinks would happen.
My guy initially said the same thing and later recanted his statement. Caveat Emptor, I have not seen it performed nor was it done on my car yet, telling me he has successfully removed top layers. I plan to keep the original two layers for now.
Anthony1s755.50