BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > So It Begins!!! My New M2C(S) Project [Update on Weight Reduction]

03-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #177
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata

Subscribed to thread, I'm picking up my '20 in a couple of weeks hopefully. Went with LBB though, HS didn't do it for me in person. The IND parts look very good as well. What rear spoiler is that?
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #178
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

This picture did several things for me:
1. Totally convinced me that my choice for HS is solid (I've not seen it in person and probably won't until I pick up my car)
2. Convinced me on the carbon mirror covers and likely the front reflector inserts

You have also done a few things I plan to do once the funds are available, namely the AP Racing Calipers. I really want to be able to run 18s for the track and just taking off THAT much unsprung mass is huge. We have a similar attitude that the M2C comes too heavy and needs to go on a diet to meet its full potential. I also agree with you though, don't go crazy with fixed backs and a cage. I like your approach so far (minus the black roof - not knocking it, I just like a more subtle look but its actually not bad IMHO).

Thank you for posting so many pictures and giving so much feedback. Are you going to code out Auto rev-match? That needs to go for me.
I actually haven't coded the auto rev match but it's mainly because I drive with DSC Off almost all the time.

I also tracked the car for the second time on Monday at Laguna Seca and it was a blast to drive. I'll share the video and my feedback from the track day in a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #179
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Subscribed to thread, I'm picking up my '20 in a couple of weeks hopefully. Went with LBB though, HS didn't do it for me in person. The IND parts look very good as well. What rear spoiler is that?
M Performance spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #180
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
M Performance spoiler.
Thanks! What tires do you use on track? I'm assuming the standard tires are not up for a full day
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #181
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Yea, I would leave the rear reflectors, as they are more significant to safety. Imagine you lose full electrical power, while driving on the highway, you'll be thankful that the guy barreling down at you, while texting his girlfriend, catches a glimmer in eyes from his illegal HID headlights sparked from your rear reflectors. Just in time to stop..

Ok, maybe I went off the deep end but they do serve a meaningful purpose.
I used some semi transparent dark vinyl to tint mine. They look dark or black most of the time, but if headlights shine on them they still shine back red. Very cheap mod. I used a sample piece of vinyl lol.
Where did you get the sample Vinyl?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #182
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's my feedback from a recent track day at Laguna Seca along with a video. I posted the following review on a FB group so I'm just copying it here:

Had a great track day at Laguna Seca yesterday. This was my second time tracking the M2 but it was the first time I really got to push it (the first track day was in the heavy rain). My best time was 1:42.7 and I believe the car can definitely do high 1:30s with the current setup. I don't like excuses but didn't have that many laps without traffic yesterday Also, for reference my PB was 1:41.4 in my M4 Comp. M4 was quicker on the straights as expected thanks to 40HP extra. M4 also had some tire advantage with 275/305 vs 275 square on the M2. However, I have Ohlins on the M2 as opposed to just stiffer springs on M4's adaptive suspension. The bottom line is, I never had this much fun in the M4 period. I loved it but M2 is just more fun car to drive especially on the track. It turns and handles beautifully. I don't remember how many GT3 and GT4 owners came to check out the car after each session and said they couldn't believe how quick it was

Here are all the mods:
- Stock power level
- Ohlins R/T coilovers with GC camber plates
- Nitto NT01 275/35/18 square tires
- Essex AP Racing Radi-Cal Competition Brake Kit with DSUNO pads

Appreciate 6
Karlosm2c290.50
Poochie9104.50
Karmic Man1996.00
atc556.50
bplewis24188.50
hellrotm4142.50
      03-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #183
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, I would leave the rear reflectors, as they are more significant to safety. Imagine you lose full electrical power, while driving on the highway, you'll be thankful that the guy barreling down at you, while texting his girlfriend, catches a glimmer in eyes from his illegal HID headlights sparked from your rear reflectors. Just in time to stop..

I used some semi transparent dark vinyl to tint mine. They look dark or black most of the time, but if headlights shine on them they still shine back red. Very cheap mod. I used a sample piece of vinyl lol.
fellers.com

just got little 1 foot x 1 foot pieces for a few bucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #184
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
Quote:
Quote:

fellers.com

just got little 1 foot x 1 foot pieces for a few bucks.
Awesome, any other advice on how to find the right product? The way their website is set up is.... interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #185
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a pic of the car with Apex EC-7s:
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
808elise378.00
adisz165.50
Poochie9104.50
atc556.50
hellrotm4142.50
      03-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #186
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Looks awesome!!
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      03-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #187
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Congrats! Late to party.

I didn't expect AP BBK to save this much weight from MP BBK. I spent time with this AP kit when I datalogged a friend's OG last summer. It was amazing. The stronger brake power is immediately felt and doesn't fade at all in repeated hard pulls, no mention of a much better pedal feel as well. The only grip I have though is the smaller disc than OEM but apparently it does its job more than just fine and looks good in 18 and 19 wheel.
      03-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #188
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Congrats! Late to party.

I didn't expect AP BBK to save this much weight from MP BBK. I spent time with this AP kit when I datalogged a friend's OG last summer. It was amazing. The stronger brake power is immediately felt and doesn't fade at all in repeated hard pulls, no mention of a much better pedal feel as well. The only grip I have though is the smaller disc than OEM but AP looks fine with 18 and 19 wheel.
Thanks! I tracked my M4 on stock blue brakes and AP BBK is on its own league compared to stock M4 brakes. There was actually an M4 Comp owner at Laguna on Monday and he was blown away how much later I could brake than him. AP kit not only performs spectacular but also has a great durability in terms of pad and rotor life. The stock steel rotors on the M4 would wear down so quickly especially after each hard track day (e.g. Laguna Seca). After two track days at Laguna Seca with the M2C, I haven't noticed any noticeable wear on my AP rotors. This kit is pricey but worth every penny IMO (as a side benefit, they save a lot of weight and allow fitting 18" wheels which was a major requirement for me).
Appreciate 2
Karlosm2c290.50
CSBM52721.00
      03-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #189
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Congrats! Late to party.

I didn't expect AP BBK to save this much weight from MP BBK. I spent time with this AP kit when I datalogged a friend's OG last summer. It was amazing. The stronger brake power is immediately felt and doesn't fade at all in repeated hard pulls, no mention of a much better pedal feel as well. The only grip I have though is the smaller disc than OEM but apparently it does its job more than just fine and looks good in 18 and 19 wheel.
Before purchasing my AP Racing front and rear kits through one of Essex Parts' suppliers I spoke at length with Jeff Ritter and he categorically said that larger discs / rotors don't really make the difference as it's all about the quality of the steel, cooling features of the discs / brakes, etc that makes the difference in performance. I haven't used my car on track yet, but on the street these brakes are significantly better than stock brakes and it's incredibly encouraging to hear how cntzl is getting on with the same setup as me at Laguna Seca I CANNOT wait to get on a track!!!
      03-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #190
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can,

What are the width, offset and PCD numbers of these wheels? Knowing these in 18s fit over the Essex AP kits I might invest in these for the track, get rid of the 788s and keep the 763 for the street.

What set up are you using for tyres also on these?

Cheers,

Karl
      03-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #191
JoeP
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the track video! Many of the video's currently out show people hooning around (which can be fun but doesn't show the fast lap capability) or they are novice drivers so can't demonstrate the characteristics of the car when pushed. In your video, I can tell the car is planted and predictable and pulls nicely. You are a skilled driver.

You also metered the power in well. How was the squared setup? I'm wondering if you could put more tire out back and keep it neutral. What do you think? Might help you get on the power a touch sooner.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #192
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
Quote:
Can,

What are the width, offset and PCD numbers of these wheels? Knowing these in 18s fit over the Essex AP kits I might invest in these for the track, get rid of the 788s and keep the 763 for the street.

What set up are you using for tyres also on these?

Cheers,

Karl
These are Apex EC7 wheels 18x9.5" ET35. I run 275/35/18 NT01 tires on them (15mm spacer front, 7.5mm rear spacer but the rear spacer is optional).
Appreciate 4
Karlosm2c290.50
atc556.50
808elise378.00
      03-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #193
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Thank you for the track video! Many of the video's currently out show people hooning around (which can be fun but doesn't show the fast lap capability) or they are novice drivers so can't demonstrate the characteristics of the car when pushed. In your video, I can tell the car is planted and predictable and pulls nicely. You are a skilled driver.

You also metered the power in well. How was the squared setup? I'm wondering if you could put more tire out back and keep it neutral. What do you think? Might help you get on the power a touch sooner.
Let me first start by saying I definitely left couple seconds on the table easily this was the second session of the day and first time I got a open track in front of me. I'm still learning the car so I believe in the next track day or so I'll be able to push it even further if it doesn't rain of course. My biggest challenge was adjusting my braking points and brake modulation. Since I'm used to the not so great stock M4 brakes, I still struggle to convince myself I can brake later mentally. Also, the DSUNO pads have a great bite but modulation can be a little tricky.

Throughout the day I actually tried to get on the throttle earlier but experienced some oversteer. Not in a bad way but still enough to make me lose some time. One thing I loved about the car was how easily you can rotate it with just your throttle input. This wasn't super easy on the M4 unfortunately. After all, it's not always about laptimes, having fun while pushing the car is priceless I'm pretty happy with the square setup overall but would never say no to more rubber either. Unfortunately, I don't think 305/35/18s is possible on this car but I'll wait till someone tries it out. I'm using 7.5mm spacer in the rear (optionally) just because I use them on the street and they give me wider track so going with a slightly wider tire should be possible (Maybe up to 295 but Nitto doesn't make that size).
Appreciate 3
atc556.50
M2GT120.00
808elise378.00
      03-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #194
Megator
Captain
Rep

First off nice driving and car

I have a HS M2C (EU spec) on order and can't wait to track it! I am a pretty heavy braker and have faded the brakes on my Focus RS (using various pads and track fluid) at my local tracks.

I have a brake related Q for you, currently I have ordered the optional (std in USA) brakes on my M2C for 1k euro. I eventually want to upgrade to the AP racing brakes but was told by my dealer that this would totally invalidate my warranty.

Do you think the M2C 6/4 piston brakes are worth the 1K over the M4 4/2 piston brakes? or should I save the cash and tough it out 2 years with the M4 4/2 piston brakes?

Another side benefit is being able to fit 18" wheels and only having to buy one set of wheels (not 19" now and 18" later).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #195
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
First off nice driving and car

I have a HS M2C (EU spec) on order and can't wait to track it! I am a pretty heavy braker and have faded the brakes on my Focus RS (using various pads and track fluid) at my local tracks.

I have a brake related Q for you, currently I have ordered the optional (std in USA) brakes on my M2C for 1k euro. I eventually want to upgrade to the AP racing brakes but was told by my dealer that this would totally invalidate my warranty.

Do you think the M2C 6/4 piston brakes are worth the 1K over the M4 4/2 piston brakes? or should I save the cash and tough it out 2 years with the M4 4/2 piston brakes?

Another side benefit is being able to fit 18" wheels and only having to buy one set of wheels (not 19" now and 18" later).

Thanks!
Thank you

If you are planning to upgrade your brakes eventually, I'd say save your money and go with the blue brakes. You'll save significant unsprung weight as well and can now fit 18" wheels as you mentioned. Pad changes on blue brakes are also super easy whereas you have to remove the front caliper to change your pads on the silver 2NH brakes. So my vote is for the blue brakes
Appreciate 1
atc556.50
      03-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #196
Megator
Captain
Rep

Thanks cntzl, changed my order now to buy some track wheels!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #197
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Looks good, I'm tempted to go aftermarket BBK so I can use 18" track wheels again and don't have to remove the whole freaking caliper to change pads.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      03-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #198
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
Looks good, I'm tempted to go aftermarket BBK so I can use 18" track wheels again and don't have to remove the whole freaking caliper to change pads.
I changed the pads on my APs recently and I'm about as handy as a chocolate teapot! It's so easy to swap pads over on these brakes 👌🏻