BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > GFB DV+ Install: Options & Opinions

11-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
NitroBMW
Rep
Drives: M2 & M240i

GFB DV+ Install: Options & Opinions

Fellow OG M2'ers,

I've come across the following information pertaining to the installation of the GFB DV+ and wondering who has experimented with the "Main Spring" install. Installing the "Main" spring, I feel should allow the diverter valve to react more fluidly bleeding off positive pressure just enough to equalize rather than the valve over stroking and dumping all boost between gears. I don't think light switch on/off is a good thing over "just enough" modulation.

My main concern is: How will the BM3 OTS tune(s) react with the DV installed with the modulation spring!?

FYI -My 18' MG LCI is currently FBO on BM3 Stage 2 93 Tune now. Going to Dinan BIG turbo, DV+ and Pure inlet in 2-3 weeks.

Cut & Paste Instructions from GFB:
The DV+ can be configured in two different ways, depending on your desired outcome. Fitting the DV+ with the main spring installed as shown on the previous page can be thought of as a “Sport” mode,
offering the best possible throttle response and boost recovery during on/off throttle applications (i.e. during gearshift with a manual transmission).

Using the main spring means the DV+ can open and close progressively in response to how much boost pressure is present, unlike the factory diverter which just opens fully regardless of whether there is boost to vent or not.

Because this operation method is different from the factory diverter, it is not unusual or detrimental to hear a different sound from the intake when lifting off the throttle at low RPM, especially if you have an aftermarket intake or a larger turbo installed.

Additionally, in some cases this different operating method may be mis-interpreted by the ECU as a faulty diverter valve (it simply sees the diverter doing something different, it doesn’t know the diverter is actually attempting to improve throttle response), resulting in fault code P2261 being recorded.

This does not indicate that the DV+ is faulty, nor does it cause any issues to the turbo or engine. If the fault code or different sound occurs and you want to prevent it, or you simply want a direct replacement for the factory diverter that is stronger, holds boost better, and lasts longer, you can choose
to install the DV+ WITHOUT the main spring behind the piston.

This configuration can be thought of as an improved “Standard” mode, which behaves just like the factory diverter, but with the added benefits of better boost-holding, strength, and reliability.

Any real life experience with the above??

Thanks
Nitro
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
NitroBMW
Rep
Drives: M2 & M240i

Picture of Valve
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It doesn't affect the tune any way. I also use it with BM3 OTS.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:

No error codes with firmer spring?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can you feel any difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:54 AM   #7
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

- There is no error code.
- I don't feel it with my butt but maybe you can measure it somehow with OBD tools.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Anyone installed? Wondering if I need to upgrade this with my inlet, charge and boost pipes upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Anyone installed? Wondering if I need to upgrade this with my inlet, charge and boost pipes upgrade?
It's more easier to install together with other intake stuff 'cos you need to remove them anyway.
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115176.50
      03-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I've got a Dinan P2 kit with their piggy. I definitely notice a difference on boost lag between shifts with this unit. But I've got an MT, so that's a different animal from what many on here have...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

I just did a bunch of upgrades and have 6mt too. I was running FBO and VF-E stage 2 tune. I could NOT keep the car in boost unless I shifted above 6k rpm. My pure stage 2 turbo came with the DV+ pre-installed. I have no idea if pure uses the extra spring or not. I primarily waned the DV+ for reliability, but sustained boost between shifts would be a great benefit, along with improved throttle response.
Appreciate 0