BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > ECU tune + catless downpipes + US exhaust for EU

09-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

ECU tune + catless downpipes + US exhaust for EU

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
hi, my idea is to upgrade the power "invisible" as long as warranty exists..

only downpipes, evolve tuning software via OBD (Evolve R) or JB4 unit, US spec. exhaust including secondary cats (but no OPF particle filter like EU exhaust).

due to my experience with that kind of mods (software and akrapovic downpipes only) at my E82 135i N54 (vishnu procede 2.5SE) and E82 1M N54(OBD ECU flash), both N54s 300kW/650Nm, problems will be there.

at the N54 it was rather small issues, like high pressure fuel pump -->it also needs to be replaced after a while without tune, clutch and flywheel (i upgraded to sachs performance sinter) and so on...charge pipes collapsed under higher boost, also clutch (it was manual for sure) every 10tkm, etc.

also at the S55 "warranty" issues may appear..

so i'd like/need to buy the OEM US exhaust.. may i ask you, if someone of the BMW european delivery program directly upgrade to a full catback exhaust in germany? and sell the OEM exhaust?

what do you think about that? it should be a good ratio of the invest / increase...

thanks for your opinions for endless continuous lines on the tarmac again!
c

evolve-R
https://www.evolveautomotive.com/blo...available.html

burger tuning JB4
http://www.burgertuning.com/M3_M4_S5...nce_tuner.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Any software upgrade you do is warranty gone, installing the US one is not the solution since the system in the car will count the amount of software upgrades you have done. Only way to do it is have your dealer install the US file, but do you see them doing that?

I would go for a tune that is able to mask that. Perhaps check with some of the tuning software companies if they can offer you a tuning package that works fine with masking the upgrade for the dealer.

Exhaust wise there are no aftermarket options available yet. A tune would definitely be a wonderful increase to make the car more potent, but it requires you to do a full hardware (exhaust) and software upgrade (engine tune, gearbox tune).

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Any software upgrade you do is warranty gone, installing the US one is not the solution since the system in the car will count the amount of software upgrades you have done. Only way to do it is have your dealer install the US file, but do you see them doing that?

I would go for a tune that is able to mask that. Perhaps check with some of the tuning software companies if they can offer you a tuning package that works fine with masking the upgrade for the dealer.

Exhaust wise there are no aftermarket options available yet. A tune would definitely be a wonderful increase to make the car more potent, but it requires you to do a full hardware (exhaust) and software upgrade (engine tune, gearbox tune).

MR
i'm familiar with ECU tuning, i worked a few years in that field of engineering. i have CMD tools to flash in boot mode, but i want to use OBD so there is as far as i know only Evolve or going to pippypack (which was faster because of autotune knock sensor function at 100 octane fuel mapping at my N54 E82 M, 100-200km/h in >8.8sec)

clearing car and visiting dealership after is obvious (but most of the time not necessary), at some dealers the car is so exotic that they don't recognize catless downpipes, the akrapovic even look like OEM after the turned gray from heat after a while, and they don't read the ECU because that takes a lot of time. they only write the ECU if there are lets call it "service packs" of the OEM for the dealer to install. the dealer read failure storage via OBD-dongle, which is cleared in seconds before visiting dealer. no comparison of ECU "chip" software..

US exhaust is less back pressure and have secondary cats instead OPF, right?!

that match my idea of tuning software for catless downpipes, but that solution need to have secondary cats, otherwise it is too loud, smoke and smell a bit over the top..

i think S55 F87 M2C catless downpipes + software should run >8sec 100-200km/h (2-2.5k invest)

full catback exhaust (approx. 4k) and tune (1k) is not significant faster (5k invest!) maybe even slower if you install no downpipes(1k) to reduce back pressure - this no discussion on noise or sound, only numbers..

17,2kW / 28,7Nm akrapovic tell without touching mapping (only lambda sure)

http://www.akrapovic.com/de/car/prod...71&yearId=5053
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
I like your way of thinking. If you think you can make it all work, then definitely go for it. More different tuning packages on this forum with people creating their own set ups that work is always favorable.

It would not immediately be my choice really since I am changing exhaust anyhow. I am just checking if I would fit sport down pipes and a tune, and if that is needed because the sound is decent already. If I dont fit them, it will save me cash.

Just keep us here posted on your progress of making it work. I am looking forward to you being able to source it all and make it happen.

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
The ECU "flash counter" is only and always triggered if you use the same/original software as BMW and their dealers use to do it.

If you don't want the counter to change you need a third party obd solution. Alientech KESS, PowerGate, BitBox, CMD (or boot mode) and so on. Those will not alter the flash counter.

Depending on "how much" one wants to find your traces, but it is always possible to find them. Some cases need more work to deliver the evidence, some less.

Either way, regardless of the tool you use, its absolutely impossible to not leave any traces behind. If they really want to, they'll find out.
Appreciate 0