BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > New M2C Style mirror caps from Autoid

10-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #89
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Yeah that's exactly what's wrong on mine as well. I suspect that's where my whistling sound is coming from. Unfortunate.
Is it a manufacturing error or install error though ?
      10-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #90
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what's wrong on mine as well. I suspect that's where my whistling sound is coming from. Unfortunate.
Now that you are experiencing the same issue I'm wondering if it is manufacturing error. If all holes are lined up what else could we possibly be doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #91
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now that you are experiencing the same issue I'm wondering if it is manufacturing error. If all holes are lined up what else could we possibly be doing wrong?
I tried putting that cap on before tightening the screws and that worked at first...till I tightened them. It's now bursting at the seams. I'm starting to think this is a product fault.
Attached Images

10-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #92
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I tried putting that cap on before tightening the screws and that worked at first...in till I tightened them. It's now bursting at the seams
Hmm yeah that seems worse than mine. Everything fit together without much problem, but I do have the same misalignment you showed from the base to the housing. I can snap some photos of mine tonight when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #93
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
I tried putting that cap on before tightening the screws and that worked at first...till I tightened them. It's now bursting at the seams. I'm starting to think this is a product fault.
Quote:
Hmm yeah that seems worse than mine. Everything fit together without much problem, but I do have the same misalignment you showed from the base to the housing. I can snap some photos of mine tonight when I get home.
I wanted to wait until I get mine, but this is starting to concern me also. I got the euro mirrors, smoked turn-indicators, along with the M shells to put together. Finger-crossed I can get it all together with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #94
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Hopefully we can get Jack from Autoid to chime in for insights on a few of these fitment issues
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #95
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboen View Post
Hopefully we can get Jack from Autoid to chime in for insights on a few of these fitment issues
I just emailed them to complain and sent some photos. Super disappointed right now. Hopefully they can remedy this.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #96
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Starting to get worried
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #97
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I'll share more photos of mine later tonight when I'm home from work. The fitment is better than Andrew's but by no means perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #98
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Hmmm...mine are due to arrive next week. Not feeling confident these will be as good as first thought/hoped. Keep posting up guys and hopefully someone can find a trick to getting these installed without issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #99
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Yeah now that I look really close I have the same fitment issues as Andrew, but only on the drivers side . I've written to AUTOID and I'll let you know what i hear back. I assume this cannot be right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #100
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah now that I look really close I have the same fitment issues as Andrew, but only on the drivers side . I've written to AUTOID and I'll let you know what i hear back. I assume this cannot be right.
Yeah, it's definitely not lined up on the driver's side (LHD). I can really see it with everything put together on yours. When Who said he heard hissing, the only thing I could think of that would cause that is something not snapped together properly.

It looks like that little misalignment is allowing air to seep through that opening, thus causing the noise ( just a guess). I'm really ready to take a crack at it when I get mine, though I may not have any better success either.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:24 AM   #101
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Hi all.

I have reached out to both of the customers above so we work through the issues mentioned - hopefully a video call will help elevate any fitment problems mentioned above.

It's difficult to see from the images but agree that the clips do not look they are aligned properly. I've installed around 20 sets myself now and haven't seen any fitments as extreme as the 1/2mm gaps shown above so I am hoping it's just a problem at installation rather than an issue with the actual product.

Hopefully we can update you all on the resolution once solved.

If you're concerned about the fitment, I just want to reiterate that we provide lifetime warranty parts and will happily replace or exchange items if you see problems like this. If you aren't 100% satirised we also include free returns.

Best regards.
Jack
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      10-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #102
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

So ive check fitment on mine, and there is a gap in the one what makes wind noise. Ive taken the caps off and this one doesnt have the tab that keeps it secured at the bottom while the other one does, so i think the issue is with the cap itself

See image below, about 1.5mm gap you can see inside of the housing

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
      10-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #103
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
So ive check fitment on mine, and there is a gap in the one what makes wind noise. Ive taken the caps off and this one doesnt have the tab that keeps it secured at the bottom while the other one does, so i think the issue is with the cap itself

See image below, about 1.5mm gap you can see inside of the housing

I hope this works. I removed some extra stuff in coding and can see the image now.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #104
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I spoke with jack at auto id today and he was very friendly and helpful. We managed to eliminate one gap in the corner which was my fault (a tab was bent) but the front gap still remains on both mirrors so I believe I will be getting new parts shipped out to me to remedy this. While troubleshooting is never fun I do have to give jack an A+ for customer support. I understand that this is a brand new product from a growing company so hiccups will happen. Looking forward to getting this problem corrected soon and enjoying these mirrors.
Attached Images

10-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #105
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Hoping to see a resolution soon.

I might just have to go back to the original M2C mirror idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #106
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

If u can stuff the extra space with something then air wint won't pass thru
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #107
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quick update from me too. I spoke with Jack from autoID today as well. Much like Andrew my experience was excellent -- he even hopped on a video call with me across a huge time zone difference to take a close look at everything.

It should probably be noted in the installation video that some of the plastic tabs on the mirror cap must go in at a very specific angle, into a small slot that looks sort of like a post office mail slot. Failing to do that causes the tab to bend or possibly break, as was my case.

The bad news is despite what seemed like a possible remedy, I am still experiencing some whistling. I'll update here once I hear back from Jack. He was very accommodating and I'm sure he will do everything in his power to make things right.
Appreciate 3
      10-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #108
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quick update from me too. I spoke with Jack from autoID today as well. Much like Andrew my experience was excellent -- he even hopped on a video call with me across a huge time zone difference to take a close look at everything.

It should probably be noted in the installation video that some of the plastic tabs on the mirror cap must go in at a very specific angle, into a small slot that looks sort of like a post office mail slot. Failing to do that causes the tab to bend or possibly break, as was my case.

The bad news is despite what seemed like a possible remedy, I am still experiencing some whistling. I'll update here once I hear back from Jack. He was very accommodating and I'm sure he will do everything in his power to make things right.
This is what happened to me as well. Unfortunately the instructions didn't seem to specify to start at the bottom when snapping the cap back into place so I just lined it up and pushed and ended up bending and breaking the bottom tab on each cap which seems to be at least partly responsible for the fitment issues i'm having.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
qnet681.50
Smiler1.50
      10-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #109
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
This is what happened to me as well. Unfortunately the instructions didn't seem to specify to start at the bottom when snapping the cap back into place so I just lined it up and pushed and ended up bending and breaking the bottom tab on each cap which seems to be at least partly responsible for the fitment issues i'm having.
Thanks for sharing.

It seems I'll have to run through this thread another time before I install mine. They should be here soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #110
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

It seems I'll have to run through this thread another time before I install mine. They should be here soon.
Just make sure the tab circled in the photo above goes in first. Then you're set.
Appreciate 2
qnet681.50