BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Really annoying: water gushing out of mirrors after washing the car

03-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post
Rust? Ugh... How would that happen? I hadn't even thought of that!

I don't leave it on for long periods of time. I just wrap them while I dry the wheels, wipe down the interior, etc. By the time I'm done with that, the water has pretty much stopped and I remove them.

My towels aren't super wet either since I use the blower first. And aren't the mirrors plastic? I'm still trying to figure out what would rust...
It shouldn't rust because the mirrors were designed to be exposed to the elements, but I just didn't want the internals (motor mechanism etc) to be drenched in water for long periods of time like over night because it could cause the screws holding it to the mirror to corrode, or mess up the actuators if it slips pass the seals. IDK i'm just super paranoid.
      03-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #24
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
It shouldn't rust because the mirrors were designed to be exposed to the elements, but I just didn't want the internals (motor mechanism etc) to be drenched in water for long periods of time like over night because it could cause the screws holding it to the mirror to corrode, or mess up the actuators if it slips pass the seals. IDK i'm just super paranoid.
Oh ya, ok. Well, the towel is just catching what would be running off anyway. But I'll definitely be using the folded mirror trick for next time
      03-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh ya, ok. Well, the towel is just catching what would be running off anyway. But I'll definitely be using the folded mirror trick for next time
I thought the folded mirror trick would make any water pool up to the servos itself being pretty bad, but when I pulled out the glass to change mirror covers the water only actually pools up near the plastic layer so I guess that's not too bad.

But the main reason I personally like like wrapping a damp towel up against the paint is you could probably mess up the clear coat, but again I'm not paint expert I just don't like the idea of wrapping the paint up with a wet cloth.

Let me know how it turns out the next time you wash your car
      03-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #26
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I thought the folded mirror trick would make any water pool up to the servos itself being pretty bad, but when I pulled out the glass to change mirror covers the water only actually pools up near the plastic layer so I guess that's not too bad.

But the main reason I personally like like wrapping a damp towel up against the paint is you could probably mess up the clear coat, but again I'm not paint expert I just don't like the idea of wrapping the paint up with a wet cloth.

Let me know how it turns out the next time you wash your car
Oh my gosh! I think I've finally met somebody more anal than I am about paint! Hahahaha!

But for what it's worth, there is no way the clear coat could get messed up by what I'm doing with the towel. Parking a car outside in the rain for days on end would be worse for it than a semi-damp towel loosely wrapped around the mirror for 10 min once a week. And I don't think anyone would say that a car sitting in the rain is bad for the clear coat. If it is, we all have much bigger problems
      03-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh my gosh! I think I've finally met somebody more anal than I am about paint! Hahahaha!

But for what it's worth, there is no way the clear coat could get messed up by what I'm doing with the towel. Parking a car outside in the rain for days on end would be worse for it than a semi-damp towel loosely wrapped around the mirror for 10 min once a week. And I don't think anyone would say that a car sitting in the rain is bad for the clear coat. If it is, we all have much bigger problems
hahah lol.

I think it would be different, because parking it outside in the rain allows the water to run off of the car, while covering the paint forces the water to be retained. So when I had a smaller double car garage my other cars prior to my m2, were covered, and in the winter when I opened the garage door to back my daily out snow would fall off of the window on my garage door onto my car underneath a car cover. After awhile (since the garage was heated) the snow would melt and soak into the car cover, and after a winter of storage and the car cover removed the clear coat was marred and super foggy. So that's why I don't like moist towels or cloths pressed up against my clear coat, and that's why on my m2 I have a water proof car cover, and it's parked in a separate bay in my garage with it's own garage door so that will never happen again.

Lol for 10 mins that shouldn't be a problem at all!
      03-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #28
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

PM'd you
      03-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
PM'd you
Got it
      03-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #30
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Blue painters tape, drill 1/8 hole underneath side mirror (better water drain off)

I've done this to my older trucks and Jeep but those mirrors were 2x's the size

My recent luck, If I do it on my m2 likely to puncture some sensitive components and not fix the problem...
Appreciate 0