BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will the N55's become "worthless"... ? (+ leasing value discussion)

03-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #89
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Perhaps if OP used the term diminished rather than worthless, he/she wouldn't be getting (rightfully so) lambasted. Calling the car worthless is like calling it a piece of shit.
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3159.50
qnet676.00
      03-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #90
Mstigator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Oh yeah? Give be names then. Give me the names of the people who thought it was an appreciating asset. Let's see this list of people.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #91
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Perhaps if OP used the term diminished rather than worthless, he/she wouldn't be getting (rightfully so) lambasted. Calling the car worthless is like calling it a piece of shit.
If you read carefully, you'll notice quotes around worthless... you know what they mean, don't you?
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      03-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #92
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstigator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I'm not sure what's so confusing about this to people.

The Competition M2 will devalue the N55 M2 in a significant way unless it's a lot more expensive, very limited, it's terrible, or a combination of those.

It seems unlikely that it's going to be terrible.

It seems unlikely it's going to be over 60 grand US, so it won't be a lot more expensive.

No one expects it to be limited, but obviously on day 1 there won't be many of them made, but eventually there will be.

If in fact the Comp M2 is a great car and desirable then in the future when people search out used M2s, they will be looking for the perceived "good" model not the perceived "weaker" model despite your or my opinion of the S55 sound or that the N55 is plenty as is.

Why are N55 owners worried about depreciation? I can't believe this is a question so many of you ask. In fact I can't even believe it's a real question because the answers are obvious. So many of you complain and get up in arms about a dealer mark up and don't want to pay 1 cent more far your car, but you don't know why anyone cares about depreciation? You wanted to find a good deal on the N55 M2 but you don't know why an owner would care about depreciation? You have such lack of imagination to understand that some OTHER people who are not you might not want their car to depreciate in case they need to sell it because of a medical issue, a loss of a job, or whatever curve ball life throws at them, or even just they get bored of it and want to sell it and get something else? Really you have no idea why someone might care about depreciation? Get the fuck out of here! You know why!

haha... the real confusing thing here is that someone assumed certain cars would be an appreciating asset.
And need to come on here and whine about it when it didn't pan out the way they hoped.

CARS ARE A DEPRECIATING ASSET.

Real enthusiast don't buy cars to then sell it later hoping you'll get some money back.
Real enthusiast buy the car, drive it and know it's worth every time it is driven.

How about this. Buy an M2, any M2 and don't drive it.
Sell it in 20 years. Guaranteed appreciation.
You really don't get it, do you? I forgot to add a picture with better explanation for the less bright ones... I know a car is an depreciating asset, I don't need internet wisdom to hear it... the question was:how will the new model affect prices of the current ones... will it remain like it is? Will it go down like the E36 pre-lci to finally catch up after a few years? Will it be hard to sell in 3-4 years? Why is it such an offensive question? It's really beyond me are you all so insecure about your selves? Or is it just that my English is so poor, nobody understood the question? : anyway, by ignoring the idiotic answers, I got a few pointers which I didn't think of so thx to these folks... and it must be a great life when you don't need to worry about factors that can speed up depreciation... I guess if the government would decide to build sewer cleaning facility next to your door, so what, I bought this house to live in it, not to make money in it, screw it and enjoy now anyway, thanks to the few sane people here, or should I say all the ones who are out of puberty already
Appreciate 2
akkando5860.00
Chako105.00
      03-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #93
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
If you read carefully, you'll notice quotes around worthless... you know what they mean, don't you?
Man, you got to admit, it still isn't the most tactful thing to say. You were asking about a drop in price, but were referring to it as if it would drop to near a near worthless price. Which is simply not true.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      03-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #94
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
Man, you got to admit, it still isn't the most tactful thing to say. You were asking about a drop in price, but were referring to it as if it would drop to near a near worthless price. Which is simply not true.
True, I just didn't expect for the majority of users to not be able to read in between the lines I wrongly assumed there would be a somewhat adult crowd
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #95
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with the poster's clarity. Nuanced comments – or assuming people will read between the lines or understand a writer's sense of humor – just don't work on the Internet. And, as you've pointed out, getting personal doesn't help credibility: "I forgot to add a picture with better explanation for the less bright ones..." or "are you all so insecure about your selves? [sic]" or "anyway, by ignoring the idiotic answers..."
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #96
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with the poster's clarity. Nuanced comments – or assuming people will read between the lines or understand a writer's sense of humor – just don't work on the Internet. And, as you've pointed out, getting personal doesn't help credibility: "I forgot to add a picture with better explanation for the less bright ones..." or "are you all so insecure about your selves? [sic]" or "anyway, by ignoring the idiotic answers..."
Well, all true, but I didn't name anyone and yes, if someone gives an idiotic answer, I call it how it is I'm allergic to idiocy
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #97
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstigator View Post
So literally zero people in this discussion bought it thinking it was an appreciating asset, got it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #98
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

FWIW, I knew what OP meant, that is what "XXX" are for. Kind of a sarcasm font if you will.

IMHO, and if history repeats, than the S55 will be more sought after. I get the argument that the N55 sounds better, but more power/torque will always trump sound.
Case in point. A friend of mine just got out of his lease of a Maseratti Grand Tourismo and wanted a 911 GTS. He was sooo worried about the sound, because the Maser is arguably one of the best sounding cars out there. So he was convinced he would go with a used 991.1 (N/A) and not the 991.2 (turbo) because the N/A at least still sounds half way decent. Well, he ended up getting the turbo, because torque is addicting and sound can be addressed with a muffler....typically.

In the case of N55 vs S55, it's not like BMW is going from a 6 to a 4 cylinder, as Porsche did on the 718. Instead they are giving us a much more sophisticated engine. I expect the S55 Comp Pkg M2 to be the car to have down the road, but not to the point where the N55's are all that far behind in value. It's not as big of a difference as a S52 to and S54 was in the Z3M. Time will tell. What I do think will happen in the short term, for more than one reason, is that the used prices on the 2016-2018's will adjust a bit, as they are too optimistic in many cases. Still the 1M syndrome or wishful thinking on the sellers behalf.
Appreciate 1
Chako105.00
      03-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #99
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

It's so funny - and speaking about both sides here - honestly, this is one of the best forums I've been on. Some really fantastic people on here, and really very little to no riff-raff. It's pretty spectacular.

Once in a while though, it seems like everyone decides (again, on both sides) that they want to be pedantic, and take everything said as literal, and it devolves into this. Yes, people may have worded things in a way that sounded different than the thought they intended to convey, and yes people may have taken things differently than they read it simply because they're in a bad mood and want to argue, or just feel very strongly about a point, etc.

At the end of the day, guys, we're in this together, and we're a great crew. Try and hear out the other party. Sure, most people didn't buy the car as an investment - though I'm sure that some expected it to appreciate, like the 1M. Things do happen, though, and it's nice to be in a car that holds its value a bit better than most, for when those situations arise.

Arguing won't do a damn thing about it, though. Get out there and make sure that you get enough smiles per gallon to make it worth your money.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #100
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3geekfamily View Post
Get out there and make sure that you get enough smiles per gallon to make it worth your money.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #101
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

The n55 is an open deck. Just from that i wouldn't want to buy a used m2 with an n55 knowing that theres a version with the s55.

Prices are already dropping on the 2018s. Even the lease rates are down.

People who already have the n55 m2 already had the time to enjoy the heck out of it. I dont know anyone who precalculated a depreciation budget before purchasing the m2. I dont think many people want to sell the car and the ones who do probably already knew that they wouldnt get much for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #102
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
A farmer will tell you that (eco-friendly) fertilizers are valuable assets for his/her business.
      03-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #103
HenryChinaski
Private
Rep
Drives: Oxford Green E46 M3

As a prospective buyer I'm holding off until the S55 release because I do think the N55 equipped cars will take a pretty big hit. Might have started already as I've watched asking prices dip recently into the high $40k range. Such a quick update of the engine makes it seem as though BMW knows they goofed using the N55 to begin with and is fixing the "mistake". This likely isn't the case, but the thought will always be there. I still may end up opting for the S55 despite the price disparity between the two, I really like the way it behaves in the M3.

I also think people who know these markets are starting to sell their M2s while the value is there.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #104
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Get out there and make sure that you get enough smiles per gallon to make it worth your money.
Random example: driving the Grossglockner High Alpine Road (Austria) three consecutive times the same day.

High-quality seat time whilst piling on the miles. Actually, the kind of 'car value depreciation' that enthusiasts don't mind sacrificing as quid pro quo for enjoying life the way you like/love.

Name:  Grossglockner_2016_1.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  468.4 KB

Name:  Grossglockner_2016_2.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  420.1 KB

qnet676.00
Transfer5242.50
      03-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #105
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

i on the other hand have just invested in an Unregistered 2017/01 build date Grey M2 Pre LCI, i won't drive it and ill keep it parked until i get a good offer, people think that just because an S55 engine coming is going to make prices go down, well i dont know about you americans but with the way the EU is ruining cars with particles and emissions i will make a good couple thousand euros on it, by 2020 there will be so many rules in play it will be difficult for bmw in europe to justify making a car which is completely against what the EU is trying to do, therefore making older models more desirable. but as others have stated, this thread is pointless.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      03-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #106
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Random example: driving the Grossglockner High Alpine Road (Austria) three consecutive times the same day.

High-quality seat time whilst piling on the miles. Actually, the kind of 'car value depreciation' that enthusiasts don't mind sacrificing as quid pro quo for enjoying life the way you like/love.
Absolutely amazing. Know of any good IT job openings near you that want to sponsor someone's visa??
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #107
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i on the other hand have just invested in an Unregistered 2017/01 build date Grey M2 Pre LCI, i won't drive it and ill keep it parked until i get a good offer, people think that just because an S55 engine coming is going to make prices go down, well i dont know about you americans but with the way the EU is ruining cars with particles and emissions i will make a good couple thousand euros on it, by 2020 there will be so many rules in play it will be difficult for bmw in europe to justify making a car which is completely against what the EU is trying to do, therefore making older models more desirable. but as others have stated, this thread is pointless.
Unless the EU will ban all combustion engines from most cities, like they're starting to ban diesels now... Then we'll have to rely on the needs of the African car market

And there are around 500 M2's for sale in Europe; the gates are opening
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #108
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

To OP: The N55 M2s will decrease in value as I think we all know. I think the rate is going to seem steep initially due to 2 years of backorders and many cars sold over MSRP that have held value, but will correct downward this summer/fall. The S55 M2 will be the "better" car, but not to all buyers. The N55 M2, especially the LCI will be cherished by many and will not have value or desireability fall off a cliff, but will decline like any other M car. The S55 cars will have a couple years where they seem to be holding strong value and then they will do the same.

There is nothing terribly special about the value or worth of the N55 M2 but also nothing to suggest it will become forgotten. It is a very good car and currently BMW's best driver's car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #109
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
Such a quick update of the engine makes it seem as though BMW knows they goofed using the N55 to begin with and is fixing the "mistake". This likely isn't the case, but the thought will always be there.
I also think people who know these markets are starting to sell their M2s while the value is there.
Just so you won't be incorrect on everything (like the pricing), the reason BMW is putting the S55 lump in the M2 is because the high-performance N55 can't be detuned enough to meet the latest European emissions laws. What remains to be seen is how the new emissions laws will affect the S55 cars - will they be detuned to accommodate the particulate canister that's required and will be hanging underneath, next to the smaller-diameter driveshaft? This emissions requirement is such a serious challenge that BMW will not be selling the gasoline 7-Series in Europe for at least a year. I'm glad I got my M2 now, instead of waiting for the S55 science experiment.

The prices on M2s will not go in the tank; they will stand on their own as fine vehicles, regardless of what comes next. In fact, the first M2s that were priced just over $50K should be selling in the high $40s - that's a very solid resale level for cars that are almost four model years old. Sales of M2s have been a little slow the last few months - just like they have for all high-performance vehicles - because of winter. It happens every year. How about if everyone who owns an M2 continues to enjoy it, and the people who don't own one move on? And if you're moving on to an M2 with the S55, enjoy!
Appreciate 2
qnet676.00
Destroya371.00
      03-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #110
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely amazing. Know of any good IT job openings near you that want to sponsor someone's visa??
Marry a person you love who lives close to the mountains and lakes and enjoy from time to time that sweet wanderlust with that good old N55 wolf howling through the twisties.

Transfer5242.50
Spa2k1193.00
atxsk8r1568.50
dmboone254970.50
ORIGIN M.3159.50