BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Car Wash

10-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Car Wash

I know this is probably a cardinal sin in these forums but we currently just run our X6 and 328i through a car wash. We have monthly unlimited plan through Mister and drive them through at least once a week, sometimes more. My wife has been doing it a couple of years in her X6 and it looks almost like the day we took delivery of it. I see Vettes and other "nice" cars going through all the time (I'm amazed at how busy this car wash always is.) I had planned on just adding the M2 to the monthly plan...until I started reading these forums. Does anyone just use a car wash?
      10-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Is the car wash you use brushless?
If so i guess that wouldn't be too bad but I always hand wash my cars, i won't even let the dealership wash it when it's in for a service.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Is the car wash you use brushless?
If so i guess that wouldn't be too bad but I always hand wash my cars, i won't even let the dealership wash it when it's in for a service.
It's brushless in that it uses soft cloth but it is not touchless.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

This guy lost his rear tow hook cover in a car wash

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=KtTYy5H9Tiw
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-too View Post
This guy lost his rear tow hook cover in a car wash

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=KtTYy5H9Tiw
The front tow hook cover on my 328 is ridiculously loose (was that way when I got the car). I have to get them to tape it with masking tape before I run it through.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
Frank16M
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I use to think the touchless car washes were harmless, then I had the fuel door ripped off my GT-R by the air dryer at the end of one. Haven't used one since.
Appreciate 1
pz6193275.50
      10-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

My reaction to OP:

I always hand wash mine, and like others, don't let the dealership wash it when it's in for service - they swirl the whole damn car if they do.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
My reaction to OP:

I always hand wash mine, and like others, don't let the dealership wash it when it's in for service - they swirl the whole damn car if they do.
good to note...I'm planning on getting ceramic pro 9h and be on a possible maintenance plan for washing by the detailer. I don't know what process the dealership uses to wash and if you have coating on your car then the dealership wash wouldn't be as bad?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHOI View Post
good to note...I'm planning on getting ceramic pro 9h and be on a possible maintenance plan for washing by the detailer. I don't know what process the dealership uses to wash and if you have coating on your car then the dealership wash wouldn't be as bad?
Your coating will wear out quicker the more you go through a car wash. Even if you use just a power washer, it will eventually strip the coating away. Best is still hand wash with a gentle cleaner or water conditioner. You don't really need much when you have a coating on anyways.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      10-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

For me it depends if the wheels fit without getting rashed and how the people are at lining you up to get in the track.
      06-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

hi guys,

can you suggest what products I need to wash my brand new m2 by hand??

what kind of brushes/sponges to avoid?

what soap?

any help is appreciated, i just picked it up from dealer after having it serviced to put a towhook license plate on, and it was raining here in the toronto area, and the back of my car got so dirty with mud from just an hour of driving around!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
hi guys,

can you suggest what products I need to wash my brand new m2 by hand??

what kind of brushes/sponges to avoid?

what soap?

any help is appreciated, i just picked it up from dealer after having it serviced to put a towhook license plate on, and it was raining here in the toronto area, and the back of my car got so dirty with mud from just an hour of driving around!

I like the MicroFiber Madness IncrediMitt. They have a pad too that's cheaper but I worry I will drop it. https://www.carpro-us.com/wash-mitts...s-incredimitt/

Get a cheap washmit tor pack of them for wheels, I don't think it matters much which cheap wash mitts you get for wheels Any cheap pack on amazon will do.

I use two or three buckets and grit guards for each bucket. Grit guards are cheap and you can get buckets from any hardware store or wherever you buy your other wash products from. You want a bucket for soap, and a bucket to rinse the mitt before you go back to the soap. The third bucket is wheels only. Anything I use on wheels never touches the car ever. If you go with two buckets you do wheels last with a wheel only mitt.

For soap I bought a big jug of chemical guys Mr. Pink. Any adams soap product I'm sure is good too. https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys.../dp/B00BJCAPEE

If you have a pressure washer consider a foam cannon, if you don't consider a foam gun for your hose. https://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Clean...dp/B000Y190WE/

To wash the tail pipes I just used a regular kitchen yellow/green sponge and the wheel bucket to get the carbon off. Also use the sponge to clean the wipers.

To dry I use microfiber towels that are slightly damp. I get a big bag of them for $15 at costco. I dry the lower parts of the car last in case there is still any dirt and switch the MF towel as needed so I am not dragging a dirty MF across a clean car. I also have one big MF that I use top surfaces like the trunk, roof, hood and just drape then drag it around to get a lot of water off all at once.

For some extra shine I spray some Kenotek detail spray on the car and microfiber towel when I dry leaving the car looking just waxed. https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...showroom-shine

You're going to want a wax eventually.

You could get a kit if you don't have any products and then build up from there. https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys.../dp/B00F5MCL1E

https://www.costco.com/Adam's-Polish...100375452.html

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Best_Ca...caApotEALw_wcB

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...nt=43359773635

There are tons of wheel brushes and products, as well as tools to blow air off your car and out of hard to dry areas if you want to get that detailed.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #13
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Holy thread from the dead...

Never ever take your car through an automatic car wash !
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
If you have front winglets, car washes are definitely a no go. Even at stock height, those winglets will get messed up by the wheel track that car washes use to move your car along.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Hand wash FTW! Add some quick spray wax afterwards for that extra shine!

Even the soft cloth that they use in the automatic washes swirl.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
BigBear2016
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp 2019

How do people keep their undercarriage clean (salt rinsed off under carriage)? I live in New England... Life's too short not to drive my car 5 months of the year. There is no way I can wash the car by hand frequently, and even if so, can't rinse undercarriage. I hate undercarriage rust..

I read that a brush less and cloth touching automatic car washing is sacrilege.... so what do people do? my M2C has 115 miles, out only on dry roads that were previously salted.

I want my car to look beautiful, but form follows function. I don't plan to move either!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #17
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear2016 View Post
How do people keep their undercarriage clean (salt rinsed off under carriage)? I live in New England... Life's too short not to drive my car 5 months of the year. There is no way I can wash the car by hand frequently, and even if so, can't rinse undercarriage. I hate undercarriage rust..

I read that a brush less and cloth touching automatic car washing is sacrilege.... so what do people do? my M2C has 115 miles, out only on dry roads that were previously salted.

I want my car to look beautiful, but form follows function. I don't plan to move either!
Just don't worry about undercarriage rust - no one will ever see it #1 and #2, you'd have to keep the car for 50 years before there'd be any damage.

Hand wash the car period man - I've done it freezing cold and is an absolute sweat box.

It's really good cardio too - wash and detail a car - bending over and over - 2 hours of solid work. Ya got your cardio in and the car looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #18
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

I just hit a diy car wash place once a week or two and spray the whole car down with warm water from their sprayers. Get all the salt off it, including the underbody.

I then take it home and do a waterless wash in the garage.

Works great for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #19
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:

Cheap lawn sprinkler. Drag it underneath the car and pull it through with the hose. Maybe not elegant nor perfect, but it works.
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      02-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #20
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
Cheap lawn sprinkler. Drag it underneath the car and pull it through with the hose. Maybe not elegant nor perfect, but it works.
Oh that's clever - I hadn't thought of that one
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #21
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

In the north east (salty roads) go to Home Depot get some wood, go to self wash bay, with ramps more room to spray underneath

But, your risking your life if the car comes down on you as you spray lol

Just do automatic car wash, IMO, it's just a car, keep it clean, doesn't need to be perfect, wax a little more to hide the guaranteed swirl marks

Benefits of monthly car wash pass: Car always looks good but not great and your not doing 2 hours of "cardio" every wash.
we only have like a few months of good (enjoyable hand washing) weather here

1st world problems, more likely someone will rear-end you in stopNgo traffic not paying attention to your hand washed car
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      04-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #22
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
I know this is probably a cardinal sin in these forums but we currently just run our X6 and 328i through a car wash. We have monthly unlimited plan through Mister and drive them through at least once a week, sometimes more. My wife has been doing it a couple of years in her X6 and it looks almost like the day we took delivery of it. I see Vettes and other "nice" cars going through all the time (I'm amazed at how busy this car wash always is.) I had planned on just adding the M2 to the monthly plan...until I started reading these forums. Does anyone just use a car wash?
It's the micro fiber rags - the attendants don't use fresh ones for each car . You get grit rubbed in from Bubba's Ram 3500 4x4
Appreciate 0