BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Local Dinan m2 popped up today. Thoughts?

03-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #45
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

You're paying about a 10k premium for the parts, take that for what it's worth. That car would be around 44k stock. I would spend a few more dollars and get a M2C instead for the S55 and to have a 3 year newer car.
Appreciate 2
M2GT120.00
Dav3946.50
      03-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #46
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveypetey View Post
Would 4 full track days under the m2s belt change anyone's mind?
Could definitely do some wear to the carbon rotors, otherwise no 4 track days won't hurt the car at all. The rotors are VERY expensive to replace.
Appreciate 1
M2GT120.00
      03-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #47
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
You're paying about a 10k premium for the parts, take that for what it's worth. That car would be around 44k stock. I would spend a few more dollars and get a M2C instead for the S55 and to have a 3 year newer car.
I would do this also. Plus, OG M2 is already out dated in the looks department due to the old style grill, like it or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #48
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
this.

You will be seriously underwater on that car as soon as you sign the papers. Sure those mods are worth some dough but you don't exactly have the stock parts for it either so if you ever had to unload it, your market would be limited.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #49
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
I would do this also. Plus, OG M2 is already out dated in the looks department due to the old style grill, like it or not.
I've never agreed with that. Maybe it looks outdated to a few on this forum, but I bet to the general public it doesn't. The new grills are just starting to show up on the newer BMW's and most people don't flip their cars every few years, like some do on this forum. Nothing wrong with it, if you can do it (I've done it).

Older M cars like the E92 M3 still look really modern to me and not dated IMHO.
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
Jcon157316.50
      03-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #50
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post

Older M cars like the E92 M3 still look really modern to me and not dated IMHO.
Or the E46 M, a timeless design according to many here. The Tom Selleck mustache grille is not the best design language used. Bigger isn't always better.
Appreciate 2
qnet676.00
Jcon157316.50
      03-21-2019, 02:44 AM   #51
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't get me wrong guys, the E46 is an absolute classic and what I dreamed of in high school. Obviously I couldn't afford an M car back then but I sure did love my 330Ci that I worked hard for. It's the reason I have a 2020MY M2C on the way now. While it holds a special place in my heart and its a classic design, it's still dated. That's an objective truth. I would still love to have an E46 M3 for purely sentimental reasons, but it looks old. Good, but old, especially to non car enthusiasts.

What I meant by the OG M2 looking dated because of the grill, is that it doesn't follow the new design language BMW is producing as of 2019/2020. Due to this, the M2C will look fresher longer because it falls in line with the new direction of styling. This is also an objective truth. I'm not saying I think the new design is better. It really doesn't matter if you like the new design or not, eventually the masses will catch on that the split kidneys is the "old" look. I know OG M2 owners don't want to admit this, but eventually my M2C is going to look dated too. Don't we all know there's always a better, faster, more luxurious version of our car coming out every year? What matters is that we enjoy it and it maintains its worth to us.

If I were the OP, I would forego an OG M2 and spend the extra couple thousand for the current model. Unless he can honestly say he would've done all of those mods himself whether he found this car or not, I don't think the premium is there.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:55 AM   #52
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Stick with the OG M2 - trusts me

As an engineer, I think the S55 oil cooler location is lazy engineering ... a bad (inevitable) situation waiting to happen. Although ...If you’re tracking your car only...I’d go with the M2C
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #53
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Don't get me wrong guys, the E46 is an absolute classic and what I dreamed of in high school. Obviously I couldn't afford an M car back then but I sure did love my 330Ci that I worked hard for. It's the reason I have a 2020MY M2C on the way now. While it holds a special place in my heart and its a classic design, it's still dated. That's an objective truth. I would still love to have an E46 M3 for purely sentimental reasons, but it looks old. Good, but old, especially to non car enthusiasts.

What I meant by the OG M2 looking dated because of the grill, is that it doesn't follow the new design language BMW is producing as of 2019/2020. Due to this, the M2C will look fresher longer because it falls in line with the new direction of styling. This is also an objective truth. I'm not saying I think the new design is better. It really doesn't matter if you like the new design or not, eventually the masses will catch on that the split kidneys is the "old" look. I know OG M2 owners don't want to admit this, but eventually my M2C is going to look dated too. Don't we all know there's always a better, faster, more luxurious version of our car coming out every year? What matters is that we enjoy it and it maintains its worth to us.

If I were the OP, I would forego an OG M2 and spend the extra couple thousand for the current model. Unless he can honestly say he would've done all of those mods himself whether he found this car or not, I don't think the premium is there.
I kind of get what you're saying, but it seems more like an subjective truth more than objective. As time passes by, and more BMW's are produced with the the new type of grill, and there are less of the cars with the older style grill around, then I would agree with you. I don't think most car non-enthuthiast know that much of a difference as of now. Also, by that time, BMW's will have changed more beyond just the front grill.

I'm looking at the car as a whole, and IMO; I don't think the new grill alone is enough to make a car look more updated, while making the other look dated.

As far as the OP, I believe he mentioned having a 2nd child. The M3 option (F80 or G80) seems better to me over either (OG M2 or M2C). My reason for him picking an M2C would be for the S55, seats, and mirrors. The grill looking more updated would be the last thing, and I don't even have a issue with it like some do.

Last edited by qnet; 03-21-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #54
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

I would not buy a car with CCB. Can you verify 4 track days? stock its like 45 and if you're patient and can find private party less. Those brakes actually would offer negative value to many. Like i said, i wouldnt want them. So you could buy one for 45 and spend 10k making it want you want.

I find the 4 track days hard to believe. Some people do crazy shit to cars. But to buy this car and instantly spend what it costs for these brakes and turbo upgrade makes me think it was build for a track toy.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #55
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I kind of get what you're saying, but it seems more like an subjective truth more than objective. As time passes by, and more BMW's are produced with the the new type of grill, and there are less of the cars with the older style grill around, then I would agree with you. I don't think most car non-enthuthiast know that much of a difference as of now. Also, by that time, BMW's will have changed more beyond just the front grill.

I'm looking at the car as a whole, and IMO; I don't think the new grill alone is enough to make a car look more updated, while making the other look dated.

As far as the OP, I believe he mentioned having a 2nd child. The M3 option (F80 or G80) seems better to me over either (OG M2 or M2C). My reason for him picking an M2C would be for the S55, seats, and mirrors. The grill looking more updated would be the last thing, and I don't even have a issue with it like some do.
I would say headlights are prob most noticeable for outdated look
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:43 PM   #56
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post

As an engineer, I think the S55 oil cooler location is lazy engineering ... a bad (inevitable) situation waiting to happen. Although ...If you’re tracking your car only...I’d go with the M2C
Hey at least the S55 doesn't overheat on track...
Appreciate 1
M2GT120.00
      03-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #57
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Yea cause we know most m2 owners are regular dale earnheart jrs
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #58
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

I agree with what others have said. You should buy a car based on whether the kidney grill is connected or slightly apart as it has been since 1933. What matters most is what others view as outdated and not what you personally perceive to be better.

Are you even still considering this car? If you get in it and love it, buy it. If not, skip it. Pretty straight forward to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #59
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:

As an engineer, I think the S55 oil cooler location is lazy engineering ... a bad (inevitable) situation waiting to happen. Although ...If you're tracking your car only...I'd go with the M2C
Lazy engineering? Did you know F90 oil cooler is at the exact same location? Not saying it's the best location for an oil cooler but there seems to be a reason as BMW insists on the design. Not sure if it's really lazy engineering...
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #60
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:

As an engineer, I think the S55 oil cooler location is lazy engineering ... a bad (inevitable) situation waiting to happen. Although ...If you're tracking your car only...I'd go with the M2C
Lazy engineering? Did you know F90 oil cooler is at the exact same location? Not saying it's the best location for an oil cooler but there seems to be a reason as BMW insists on the design. Not sure if it's really lazy engineering...
100% agree with you; for better or worse, the oil cooler placement was a calculated engineering decision.

My question is why on the F10 M5 they were still able to place it front facing and be ok... :

If it ain't broken...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #61
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

If bmw released an m2 that looked like this next year you would say the current m2c now looks dated. It would be true that the newer design is in fact newer, and the old design, is in fact older.

[IMG]https://reviews.everycarlisted.com/i...mer_medium.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #62
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

If bmw released an m2 that looked like this next year you would say the current m2c now looks dated. It would be true that the newer design is in fact newer, and the old design, is in fact older.

[IMG]https://reviews.everycarlisted.com/i...mer_medium.jpg[/IMG]
Yes, that's absolutely correct. I have a 2020MY on the way with the full understanding it's going to be shadowed by the CS and every subsequent model thereafter. Causing it to lose value, appear dated and under powered, etc. This happens to every car ever since the beginning of time. By the time I'm done financing it, it will be old and far from the latest and greatest M car. Hell brand new, it's an entry level M car. You know what though? I don't care about resale value, I don't care about any of that stuff. I'm buying it as a point in time which allows me to say what I'm getting into is worth it to me. I'll love the car, and that's what matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #63
M Coupe
Private
Rep
Drives: S54 M Coupe

Garage List
So are we getting the Dinan M2 or not? I am living vicariously through the OP.
      03-24-2019, 02:41 AM   #64
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe View Post
So are we getting the Dinan M2 or not? I am living vicariously through the OP.
Judging by how people love to share, I'm guessing he conclusively passed on this S2 M2 by now.

Good decision anyways; '4 track days' is 4 too many. And beside, logically no one spends 10 - 15k on performance mods just to cruise the boulevard; I'm pretty sure the original owner raped that car..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #65
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

I think the worries are overblown
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #66
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States