BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Squealing Brakes after HPDE weekend

03-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Heights Ag 06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 Black Shadow

Question Squealing Brakes after HPDE weekend

Hoping some of you more experienced guys / gals can help troubleshoot an issue I'm having. A few weeks ago, did my first HPDE in my new to me 2017 M2 (intermediate run group). I swapped to track pads prior to the weekend, which performed great, and then swapped back to my OEM street pads (with plenty of meat on them) the next day. Brakes seemed fine for a week or two and then started squealing badly (think school bus) on very light braking driving around town. I tried a bed-in procedure (several hard stops 70mph-10mph), which helped a bit but still getting some squealing.

Any ideas on what may be going on? Rotors and pads look fine on visual inspection. I'm still under BMW maintenance (includes brake pads / rotors I believe), so I could take it up to the dealer to have them diagnose / fix, but I'm worried they may "flag" the car as having been used on track (assuming they could tell?).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

It’s from material transfer of track pads to rotors. They scrub themselves off if you leave the track pads in for a week or so, but if you put street pads in right away it will take longer as the layer left on the rotors is harder.

You could use a sander or sand paper to score the rotors.

P.S. which track pads did you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Heights Ag 06
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 Black Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
It’s from material transfer of track pads to rotors. They scrub themselves off if you leave the track pads in for a week or so, but if you put street pads in right away it will take longer as the layer left on the rotors is harder.

You could use a sander or sand paper to score the rotors.

P.S. which track pads did you use?
Thanks 5. I think you are right. I will give it some additional time and also try to do some hard braking / bedding-in again. I drive very short distances, so guessing not enough miles yet or hard braking to remove that track pad material. Next track weekend, I will leave the track pads on for a week or so after to help scrub them.

I used Powerstop "Track Day" pads. Was really impressed with them. Between that and the Castrol SRF fluid, brakes were great.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

You do not need to worry about bedding, that will and should be performed by just driving the car normally. Just like the manual recommends. Given the pads were properly reinstalled on the rotor they came off of. As mentioned, definitely a compound mixing a little too.

Wash your car or rinse the brakes off good before you go to the dealership. That will temporarily cut the noise down. They know people are going to take their cars to the track. I don't think most dealership give it much thought, but there is a line.
Appreciate 0