BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > BMW M2 goes west on Route 66 road trip

11-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #1
blockar
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

BMW M2 goes west on Route 66 road trip

This past Labor Day weekend I took my new 2018 BMW M2 on a western road trip to California to see the sports car grand prix at Laguna Seca. I wanted to knock another thing off the bucket list so I decided to drive the iconic Route 66 to California and hit some favorite western spots on the way back.

I left Chicago early Saturday morning heading through the cornfields of Illinois and hills of Missouri on Route 66. Over the next few days I crossed the plains of Oklahoma and Texas and through the deserts of New Mexico, Arizona, and California before reaching the end of trail on Santa Monica Pier that Wednesday.

After a few days in LA, I headed up the Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur on the way to Monterey. This was the most stunning driving experience I have ever had and I have driven laps at Road America, and road the Tail of the Dragon through a Hurricane. Driving the winding roads along the coast with the sun setting on the pacific ocean on one side and knowing that the entire United States laid to the other, sent chills down my spine. Not only this but I did it in my dream car during what feels like the prime of my life. Inspirational doesn't even begin to explain the feelings. Perhaps Spiritual may be a better word to describe it.

The next day I went to watch BMW claim the GTLM trophy at Laguna Seca Raceway. I drove through Death Valley and came over the mountains to see Las Vegas lit up at night. I couldn't help but play Elvis "Viva Las Vegas" while driving down the Vegas strip. After a few nights in Vegas I drove over to Utah to view the sunset over the famous Monument Valley in Utah. After doing a bit of Canyoneering in the Moab the next day I drove the Dinosaur Diamond Byway along the Colorado River into the Rocky Mountains. I drove the car on gravel roads to get to a trailhead which led me on a hike to the tallest summit in the Rocky Mountains. The following day I drove all day to reach home in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

It was a truly mind blowing experience that put 6,000 miles on my car but I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking to discover the beauty in the Western US and the pleasures of driving along some of the most iconic roads in history.

Coolest Driving Experiences:
1. Pacific Coast Highway at Sunset
2. Oatman Canyon in AZ along Route 66
3. Dinosaur Diamond Highway in UT along the Colorado River
4. Driving the Mojave Desert at night
5. Downtown Chicago at Sunrise

Definitely would not recommend:
1. Driving through St. Louis
2. Any sort of driving in Los Angeles (Traffic is worse than you imagine)
3. Racing a Subaru STI in front of an unmarked cop car (Don't worry I didn't fall for it, but the Subaru did)
4. Driving the entire state of Oklahoma
5. Driving downtown Santa Fe during a festival.

I have attached a few good photos from my trip, if you would like to see more please visit my flickr or instagram account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135690536@N03
https://www.instagram.com/blockar88/
Attached Images

Last edited by blockar; 11-13-2018 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 24
      11-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Sounds like you had a great time. You actually drove down into Monument Valley? I've been on that unpaved road with my X1. Such a magical place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7405.50
BMWM5NYC496.00
      11-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Great trip, and some really nice shots in there. This is what it's all about.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Good for you. Great shots and trip....congrats.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I call BS on the whole thing. Those are all photoshopped; your car is too clean in all those shots

Seriously, great road trip. Reminds me of the movie Cars; you just needed to visit a small town, and race an old Hudson Hornet on a dirt track!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Awesome trip!

Does look like you washed her every day tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
blockar
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybostonmomo View Post
Sounds like you had a great time. You actually drove down into Monument Valley? I've been on that unpaved road with my X1. Such a magical place.
Yes I drove halfway down the road with all the spectators looking at me like I was crazy. On the way dow there were quite a few SUVs spinning tires in the ruts. I just kept it slow a steady and made sure I never stopped.

I like your photo there. That's a good eye for a nice shot.

And no I only washed it twice. Once before the trip and once when I got to LA. I tried to keep the car looking as authentic as possible. I like the weathered and worn look, it adds character.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Great pics. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockar View Post
This past Labor Day weekend I took my new 2018 BMW M2 on a western road trip to California to see the sports car grand prix at Laguna Seca. I wanted to knock another thing off the bucket list so I decided to drive the iconic Route 66 to California and hit some favorite western spots on the way back.

I left Chicago early Saturday morning heading through the cornfields of Illinois and hills of Missouri on Route 66. Over the next few days I crossed the plains of Oklahoma and Texas and through the deserts of New Mexico, Arizona, and California before reaching the end of trail on Santa Monica Pier that Wednesday.

After a few days in LA, I headed up the Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur on the way to Monterey. This was the most stunning driving experience I have ever had and I have driven laps at Road America, and road the Tail of the Dragon through a Hurricane. Driving the winding roads along the coast with the sun setting on the pacific ocean on one side and knowing that the entire United States laid to the other, sent chills down my spine. Not only this but I did it in my dream car during what feels like the prime of my life. Inspirational doesn't even begin to explain the feelings. Perhaps Spiritual may be a better word to describe it.

The next day I went to watch BMW claim the GTLM trophy at Laguna Seca Raceway. I drove through Death Valley and came over the mountains to see Las Vegas lit up at night. I couldn't help but play Elvis "Viva Las Vegas" while driving down the Vegas strip. After a few nights in Vegas I drove over to Utah to view the sunset over the famous Monument Valley in Utah. After doing a bit of Canyoneering in the Moab the next day I drove the Dinosaur Diamond Byway along the Colorado River into the Rocky Mountains. I drove the car on gravel roads to get to a trailhead which led me on a hike to the tallest summit in the Rocky Mountains. The following day I drove all day to reach home in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

It was a truly mind blowing experience that put 6,000 miles on my car but I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking to discover the beauty in the Western US and the pleasures of driving along some of the most iconic roads in history.

3. Racing a Subaru STI in front of an unmarked cop car (Don't worry I didn't fall for it, but the Subaru did)

I have attached a few good photos from my trip, if you would like to see more please visit my flickr or instagram account:

blockar88/
Beautiful car...beautiful road trip... its funny you let a guy rest on your car 😱
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
Honda_bar
Private
Rep
Drives: Hrv accord

I'm digging it
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Greetings from the UK - we did a R66 fly drive trip a couple of years ago.

Your photos reminded me that my wife put together a great photo album of R66 road side signs - classic Americana.

No doubt your trip was more fun in the M2, especially as our R66 ride was a Ford Explorer !!!!
      11-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
rl24free
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

The next day I went to watch BMW claim the GTLM trophy at Laguna Seca Raceway. I drove through Death Valley and came over the mountains to see Las Vegas lit up at night. I couldn't help but play Elvis "Viva Las Vegas" while driving down the Vegas strip. After a few nights in Vegas I drove over to Utah to view the sunset over the famous Monument Valley in Utah. After doing a bit of Canyoneering in the Moab the next day I drove the Dinosaur Diamond Byway along the Colorado River into the Rocky Mountains. I drove the car on gravel roads to get to a trailhead which led me read phallosan forte review on a hike to the tallest summit in the Rocky Mountains. The following day I drove all day to reach home in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

Amazing Car model and color you got there... "Classy" The first word I can think of.

Last edited by rl24free; 01-21-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #14
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl24free View Post
Quote:

The next day I went to watch BMW claim the GTLM trophy at Laguna Seca Raceway. I drove through Death Valley and came over the mountains to see Las Vegas lit up at night. I couldn't help but play Elvis "Viva Las Vegas" while driving down the Vegas strip. After a few nights in Vegas I drove over to Utah to view the sunset over the famous Monument Valley in Utah. After doing a bit of Canyoneering in the Moab the next day I drove the Dinosaur Diamond Byway along the Colorado River into the Rocky Mountains. I drove the car on gravel roads to get to a trailhead which led me read a phallosan forte review on a hike to the tallest summit in the Rocky Mountains. The following day I drove all day to reach home in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

Amazing Car model and color you got there... "Classy" The first word I can think of.
Parked my car yesterday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

always enjoy these road trip posts... thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Man, that's a hell of a trip! Thanks for sharing...would love to do this someday. Love seeing cars rack up the miles
      11-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #17
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Man I would love to drive my m2 back to Chicago one day lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #18
Dan@AutoTalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Wow that's amazing. Thanks for sharing, that looks like a beautiful road trip.
Appreciate 0