BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > XPEL PPF Question

03-19-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
Andy_911
Rep
Drives: F430 & JCW GP2

XPEL PPF Question

Hi,
Does anyone know if XPEL do a lower rear quarter template? Also are people PPFing the lower sills?
Thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #2
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

Yep

Xpel does. But not the entire green area you've detailed. Just the impact zone BMW already protect. You cannot get that coverage in one of their packages, but I'm sure your installer will custom apply wherever you choose.
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      03-19-2019, 03:28 AM   #3
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_911 View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know if XPEL do a lower rear quarter template? Also are people PPFing the lower sills?
Thanks

I believe they do, but I didn't bother having the rear quarter panels PPFd. I had all the front facing parts of the car PPFd with Xpel, along with the side skirts as these will get peppered on track. Also, the car came with some PPF on a small proportion of the rear quarter panels so I was happy with that.

One point to note is that all of the Xpel cut outs went over the edges of the main panels such as the bonnet, doors, wheel arches, side skirts, etc. I've seen some people on here whose PPF doesn't even go to the edges of the panels. It looks really untidy and not what you'd expect when spending so much money.
      03-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

As JWMII ^ replied, Xpel does not make a kit as illustrated above. A good custom installer can make that happen. Xpel, 3M and Suntek make pieces for the entire rear quarter which extends to the 'A' pillars. I had a custom piece like that done as even Xpel's 'Extended' quarter coverage is not enough. My installer does not like to cut pieces on the car and restricts patterns to whatever Xpel's plotter will cut for him. He was able to create a piece larger than what Xpel offers but not as large as your illustration. What he did create blends beautifully.

I had the sills and rockers covered. The rockers below the sills will get blasted. PPF minimizes the damage however, the film which show patina over time. The paint is protected and that is the point.

The BMW OEM rear quarter piece is terrible. It will yellow very quickly and does not cover enough area.

Last edited by devo; 03-19-2019 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
Andy_911
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
As JWMII ^ replied, Xpel does not make a kit as illustrated above. A good custom installer can make that happen. Xpel, 3M and Suntek make pieces for the entire rear quarter which extends to the 'A' pillars. I had a custom piece like that done as even Xpel's 'Extended' quarter coverage is not enough. My installer does not like to cut pieces on the car and restricts patterns to whatever Xpel's plotter will cut for him. He was able to create a piece larger than what Xpel offers but not as large as your illustration. What he did create blends beautifully.

I had the sills and rockers covered. The rockers below the sills will get blasted. PPF minimizes the damage however, the film which show patina over time. The paint is protected and that is the point.

The BMW OEM rear quarter piece is terrible. It will yellow very quickly and does not cover enough area.

Thank you - I don't suppose you can add a photo of the extended quarter or is too well blended?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #6
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you - I don't suppose you can add a photo of the extended quarter or is too well blended?
Sure, I'll take a pic later today.
      03-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It blends very well IRL. It was a little difficult to capture. You should not judge the lines by these photos. This was done on Xpel's plotter. No cutting on the car. There are some installers who can confidently cut a piece like your illustration. My guy can, but chooses not to. This has performed much better than Xpel's 'Extended Rocker' piece and infinitely better than the OEM one.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1190.jpeg
Views: 817
Size:  328.5 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1191.jpeg
Views: 744
Size:  236.6 KB
      03-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
Andy_911
Rep

Quote:
It blends very well IRL. It was a little difficult to capture. You should not judge the lines by these photos. This was done on Xpel's plotter. No cutting on the car. There are some installers who can confidently cut a piece like your illustration. My guy can, but chooses not to. This has performed much better than Xpel's 'Extended Rocker' piece and infinitely better than the OEM one.
That's a great help, I'll go for the same, many thanks
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      03-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
Faikius
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2 Comp / 16' Golf R

Went with SunTek on mine and they only offered a large pattern to protect the entire fender. That said the installer cut a smaller custom piece that replaced the factory material and covered quite a bit more. Threw it in for free with the full front.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #10
ForniteFever_01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks

I had my installer follow this diagram. XPEL doesn't have a set cut-out for the highlighted areas but they were able to get it done by cutting the film on their own. BMW's OEM PPF started yellowing not long after I got the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #11
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 2013933

Attachment 2013935
I did the same and it looks really good.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
HScomp_M2
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2

just get it do all the impact areas, you will glad you did
Appreciate 0