BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 18" Wheel Square Setup DSC and TPMS

09-19-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

18" Wheel Square Setup DSC and TPMS

Is there a 100% consensus for:

1. Does 18" square wheel setup cause issues with DSC?

2. Does No TPMS sensors cause issues with faults? I.e. forcing into comfort mode like with low pressure
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 11:54 PM   #2
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

It’s the internet; good luck finding 100% consensus on anything.

But in my personal, first hand experience in a 2018 6MT car;

1) For a while, yes. The car does seem to be able to adapt after 50 or so street miles for the most part. I won’t claim it’s perfect, but it wasn’t significantly worse than with OEM stagger. I’ve run square on both the street and track. It was fun and I saved a fair bit on track tire budget by being able to rotate front to rear. With either staggered or square though, the DSC on our cars is far too invasive, and getting to a point where I’m comfortable with DSC off has made a huge difference.

2) In 4 years, and what must be a couple dozen sets of tires at this point, I’ve never run TPMS sensors in my track wheels. Other than the light on the dash, and a warning at startup, no issues. I was able to use all modes whenever I wanted to without any issues, including DSC fully off.

*Full disclosure- I did go back to staggered after installing coilovers. I liked the balance a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 05:22 AM   #3
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
It's the internet; good luck finding 100% consensus on anything.

But in my personal, first hand experience in a 2018 6MT car;

1) For a while, yes. The car does seem to be able to adapt after 50 or so street miles for the most part. I won't claim it's perfect, but it wasn't significantly worse than with OEM stagger. I've run square on both the street and track. It was fun and I saved a fair bit on track tire budget by being able to rotate front to rear. With either staggered or square though, the DSC on our cars is far too invasive, and getting to a point where I'm comfortable with DSC off has made a huge difference.

2) In 4 years, and what must be a couple dozen sets of tires at this point, I've never run TPMS sensors in my track wheels. Other than the light on the dash, and a warning at startup, no issues. I was able to use all modes whenever I wanted to without any issues, including DSC fully off.

*Full disclosure- I did go back to staggered after installing coilovers. I liked the balance a bit better.
Thanks for the info. I'm current running CS coded DSC and usually run in MDM mode on the track for now. The only time it may have kicked in was when I got a little too throttle happy on an exit and the car got sideways. I'm honestly not even sure if it was me or the car that saved it but it never cut throttle and no DSC lights popped up.

The idea that the car acts a little wonky on the square setup (DSC) at all makes me a little nervous as I would be swapping these wheels on right at the track before the first session. What kind of staggered setup do you run?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:56 PM   #4
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm current running CS coded DSC and usually run in MDM mode on the track for now. The only time it may have kicked in was when I got a little too throttle happy on an exit and the car got sideways. I'm honestly not even sure if it was me or the car that saved it but it never cut throttle and no DSC lights popped up.

The idea that the car acts a little wonky on the square setup (DSC) at all makes me a little nervous as I would be swapping these wheels on right at the track before the first session. What kind of staggered setup do you run?
I run 9.5/10.5 Apex 18s. Their recommended setup in their figment guide. I’ve run a variety of tires sizes on them. A 20mm stagger in tire size front to rear has always worked well for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 06:38 AM   #5
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Quote:

I run 9.5/10.5 Apex 18s. Their recommended setup in their figment guide. I’ve run a variety of tires sizes on them. A 20mm stagger in tire size front to rear has always worked well for me.
That would likely be my setup if I went staggered. I think I'm still slightly leaning towards square just for the economics of tire cost. VIR is my main track and it works left fronts pretty hard. I don't have any issues putting power down in the rear on 275 ps4s so thinking 265 square with track tire probably won't be an issue there.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Quote:
That would likely be my setup if I went staggered. I think I'm still slightly leaning towards square just for the economics of tire cost. VIR is my main track and it works left fronts pretty hard. I don't have any issues putting power down in the rear on 275 ps4s so thinking 265 square with track tire probably won't be an issue there.
PackPride85,
Curious where you landed on the square setup and how it works for you? I'm likely going this direction on my M2c for next season.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:27 AM   #7
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
PackPride85,
Curious where you landed on the square setup and how it works for you? I'm likely going this direction on my M2c for next season.
Was only able to get out to the track once on the square setup so far but it felt great. Can confirm TPMS will force it into comfort mode with low psi as stated on here is various threads. What hasn’t been reported is that at what psi it does this actually varies based on external temp. Makes sense if you think about it. Car expects lower psi when it’s cold out. Morning runs at upper 60s I could run at 27-28 psi no prob. Afternoon in 80s it would throw TPMS fault at same psi.
Appreciate 0