BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Falken FK510 19"

07-11-2023, 10:20 PM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Falken FK510 19"

Good Evening, Brothers & Sisters!!

I've had my 2016 M2 for just over a year. When I acquired it, the Pilot Super Sports were pretty shot so I installed the set of Pilot 4S's that I'd had (factory 19" sizes). Last week, when I had my oil changed, they informed me that my tires were pretty worn (and took pics to prove it) so I decided it was time to try something else. I'd had good luck with the Falkens on my E90 & E92, so I decided to give them a try since I don't track the car and only do Canyon Runs on Sundays (but not to the extreme). Friday they were installed and so I've had five days to run them through multiple scenarios and thought I would share my initial thoughts on these vs. the Pilot 4S's. So here goes:

First, they tend to run a bit more comfortable than the Pilots, but I can't tell if that's because the sidewalls on the Falkens are stiffer than the Pilots so they aren't "bottoming out" or if it's because the Pilots were so worn. They just aren't as "jarring" over road imperfections as the Pilots were. They also seem to run quieter than the Pilots did. That was the very first thing I noticed about the Pilots when I installed them, so it was nice to eliminate some of that road noise, especially since the M2 isn't known for being a "quiet" car.

Second, I love the profile of the Falkens. At first, I thought that they had given me the wrong sizes because they seemed to be more low profile, but then I realized that it was because they were more "square" than the Pilots, they have a "rim protector" and consequently seem to have a wider footprint.

Third, while I haven't quite pushed them to the limit like I had done with the Pilots, I did push them pretty hard over the weekend and they seemed to hold up pretty well and didn't give me any cause for concern. Time will tell as I get the opportunity to push them harder. I don't expect them to perform as well as the Pilots, but then again, I'm not tracking the car so I think that they will do a great job for what I'm asking of them.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Falkens so far, especially considering they run only about 60% of what the Pilots cost. If I look at that alone and realize that I'm getting 80% of the performance, then I think I'm coming out ahead, but I do think they will be closer to 90% of the performance of the Pilots.

After a few weeks or a couple of good canyon runs, whichever comes first, I will update my thoughts, but for now, I thought I would share my thoughts in case anyone was interested.
      07-12-2023, 04:19 AM   #2
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Thanks for the detailed review.
I went the same route a year ago and have exactly same impressions about FK510.
Just for info, I am attaching a photos comparing the shape of side walls of the two. The shock and spring are fully stock and tire size is same as OEM. FK510 is more square and wider.
Attached Images

07-12-2023, 09:29 PM   #3
///MPECABL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

I love the falken profile but found the weight to be MUCH heavier per corner which was a turn off. I might look back into them but otherwise they seem to get high marks.