BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > VINs for BMW M2 Competition reveal US specs, equipment, options, packages, prod date

09-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #221
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
All this talk about impact on resale values, I don't get it. It's not like you bought an investment that's supposed to appreciate in value... Whoever buys a car - an asset that depreciates like 20% a year typically - with concerns about its resale value, shouldn't be buying a car in the first place.

Or go buy yourself a Toyota!
On Toyota's....I have owned many and they have been some of my favorite cars, although I think currently that their value is nowhere where it use to be. Ran many over 200K miles and beat the hell out of them in the meantime without really considering resale.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #222
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
On Toyota's....I have owned many and they have been some of my favorite cars, although I think currently that their value is nowhere where it use to be. Ran many over 200K miles and beat the hell out of them in the meantime without really considering resale.
I might be one of the few people here who are 100% happy with my MY17 pre-LCI purchase and have 0 buyer's remorse.

I love the N55 engine, I love the pre-LCI halos, I prefer the pre-LCI brake lights. Would I have wanted M style mirrors? Yes. Would I have wanted the gauges backlight during the day? Yes. Do I wish the seatbelt wasn't so damn far behind me that I practically dislocate my shoulder trying to grab it? Yes. Like any other product we buy, it is rare to come across something you love everything about short of building it yourself. Everyone is different and everyone has different tastes.

I can confidently say I have no interest in upgrading to an S55 M2. I got dusted on the express buy an M3 the other day, but my engine and exhaust sounded way better. If anything, it made me want a tune and DP faster! I also know I have much more fun on the twisties than he does.

I'm interested to see how BMW will put the power to the ground with an S55 M2. There is barely traction in stock N55 form in first and second gears. So what if you get a detuned S55 and it has more room for tuning? How are you going to get that power to the road and keep the perfect (if not too heavy) weight of the M2? There's only so much rubber to fit under those arches. If you want a highway queen, enjoy your monster S55 M2. If you want the perfectly balanced car for spirited daily driving and some track time, enjoy the N55 M2.
Appreciate 4
      09-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #223
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

ynguldyn Do you know if there will be a track focused M2 (CS or CSL)? If so, when? If not, and you haven't seen or heard anything, then it's likely the M2 CS isn't going to happen and we'll just get the M2 Competition with an expanded options list.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #224
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
Do I wish the seatbelt wasn't so damn far behind me that I practically dislocate my shoulder trying to grab it? Yes.
Hm, I never encountered that issue with my M2. Normal height and weight (1m80).

If you got a LHD car: use your right hand to grab the seat belt (instead of twisting your left arm), or simply already grab the seatbelt upon entering the car.

Other tip: switch off the engine with your door still closed, subsequently open your door and wait for the "SCHLACK!"-sound of the automatic activation of the steering wheel lock. Twist the steering wheel to 'lock' the steering wheel. Here you go: now you got yourself a perfect 'grab handle' to pull yourself out of the car. No kidding. Got to try it to believe it. Yes, I'm kinda lazy and my seat is on the lowest possible position with maximum backwards tilt.
      09-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #225
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Artemis Do you think that the M sports seats will also get the orange or blue contrast stitching,that the standard seats are getting.There doesn't seem to be anything listed in the VIN info about contrast stitching for the M sports seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #226
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Artemis Do you think that the M sports seats will also get the orange or blue contrast stitching,that the standard seats are getting.There doesn't seem to be anything listed in the VIN info about contrast stitching for the M sports seats.
I already asked myself that question too. I don't know.

As well as the type of leather that's gonna be used for option 712 ("M Sports Seat" - "M Sportsitze"). Stock it's gonna be Dakota Leather (with Polar Blue or (Kyalami?) Orange contrast stitching).

M Performance Seats for the 1M had no Kyalami Orange contrast stitching.

For comparison reasons: M4 CS seats:

Trim - contrast stitching:
      09-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #227
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Why would they bring up another name that is outside their past naming convention?

I am not feeling good about this if they don't use the name CS as that means the car has been water down to fit a more mainstream segment. In that case why not just leave it as M2 instead of confusing people from top to bottom.

The M4 is too big to have fun in. Labelling it as M4 CS/GTS/CSL can never changed the fact that it feels like a boat to drive in. The M2 has the best size out of the current range to drive like a proper sports car. Give the M2 the proper treatment it deserves and we hardcore M fans want and you got yourself a winner.
Jesus... exaggerate much?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #228
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Why would they bring up another name that is outside their past naming convention?

I am not feeling good about this if they don't use the name CS as that means the car has been water down to fit a more mainstream segment. In that case why not just leave it as M2 instead of confusing people from top to bottom.

The M4 is too big to have fun in. Labelling it as M4 CS/GTS/CSL can never changed the fact that it feels like a boat to drive in. The M2 has the best size out of the current range to drive like a proper sports car. Give the M2 the proper treatment it deserves and we hardcore M fans want and you got yourself a winner.
Jesus... exaggerate much?
Compared to the M2 it feels really big and numb IMO
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #229
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I already asked myself that question too. I don't know.

As well as the type of leather that's gonna be used for option 712 ("M Sports Seat" - "M Sportsitze"). Stock it's gonna be Dakota Leather (with Polar Blue or (Kyalami?) Orange contrast stitching).

M Performance Seats for the 1M had no Kyalami Orange contrast stitching.
I didn't even know that the 1M had optional M performance seats as a factory option.I guess we will just have to wait for more info about the optional M Sports Seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #230
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Does anyone know if this talk of the N55 needing to be cancelled because of emission is due to regulations in Europe or something else? I didn't know it was going to be this strict in the US already.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #231
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

ynguldyn, Artemis, Dackelone, SCOTT26: If the stock M2 is ending production in June 2018, why would the M2 Competition (CS) be limited to 1000 units ??

If it is not the M2 competition that is limited to 1000 units why did BMW inform multiple dealerships about a car that is being produced in limited quantities. Is that car not the M2 Competition and something else ??

The way I see it, only one of the following is true: Either the base M2 is ending production in June 2018 or the M2 Competition (CS) is limited to 1000 units.

A third possibility which is extremely unlikely is that the M2 competition and M2 CS are 2 different cars that are being unveiled at the same time with the CS being limited.

Which one is it ??
Appreciate 2
StephGOD218.50
csbear1118.00
      09-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #232
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Does anyone know if this talk of the N55 needing to be cancelled because of emission is due to regulations in Europe or something else? I didn't know it was going to be this strict in the US already.
Someone said in an earlier thread that it was European emissions regulations.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #233
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Someone said in an earlier thread that it was European emissions regulations.
Is that from a credible source?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #234
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Is that from a credible source?
There have been a bunch of different posts from various people on the forum in the last year that have all said it is European emissions standards.I don't know how credible the info is.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #235
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
ynguldyn, Artemis, Dackelone, SCOTT26: If the stock M2 is ending production in June 2018, why would the M2 Competition (CS) be limited to 1000 units ??
excellent question
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #236
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

If it is not the M2 competition that is limited to 1000 units why did BMW inform multiple dealerships about a car that is being produced in limited quantities. Is that car not the M2 Competition and something else ??

The way I see it, only one of the following is true: Either the base M2 is ending production in June 2018 or the M2 Competition (CS) is limited to 1000 units.

A third possibility which is extremely unlikely is that the M2 competition and M2 CS are 2 different cars that are being unveiled at the same time with the CS being limited.

Which one is it ??
Well I've pretty much convinced myself that the m2 comp will be the new base M2 in 2019. It only makes sense and all leaks point to that being the case. I do not think it will be limited, but it might be initially for the 2019 year. Maybe that's all the plant can handle until they ramp up, hence the 1000 unit limit? Who knows.

As for pricing, if the only change is the motor and everything else is optional then I can easily see the base MSRP being in $57k-60k range. Which in all honesty sucks. But, seeing as the hype will be crazy, probably worse than when the M2 first came out, markups will be common and waitlist will be long. It'll probably be MY2020/21 before you can get one at MSRP and only have to wait 3-4 months.

So until then I will enjoy my 18 N55 M2.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #237
TypeRSTI
Rep
Drives: 2015 STI

Quote:
ynguldyn, Artemis, Dackelone, SCOTT26:
Which one is it ??
Based on the the recent rumors/leaks, I believe there will be a base M2 Competition and limited M2 CS. Both with S55. Just different options and tunes. Or maybe just a base M2 Competition, but I doubt only an M2 CS would be offered. I also doubt they will have two engine options in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #238
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
FWIW:
  • BMW F87 EOP (end of production) = 2020; but please note that also the "M2 Competition" = F87;
  • in a May 2017 interview BMW M CEO Frank Van Meel confirmed: "There is so much demand worldwide for the M2, we need to bring up production volumes." (source: here).
Quote:
Which one is it ??
Name:  NoClue.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  44.9 KB
      09-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #239
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRSTI View Post
Based on the the recent rumors/leaks, I believe there will be a base M2 Competition and limited M2 CS. Both with S55. Just different options and tunes. Or maybe just a base M2 Competition, but I doubt only an M2 CS would be offered. I also doubt they will have two engine options in the M2.
Ynguldyn already said that the M2 CS is the M2 competition.BMW was just undecided on what the name was going to be.He already confirmed that the M2 CS is now officially called the M2 competition.I don't think that the 1000 units applies to the M2 competition.It may refer to the M2 CSL which might be released in 2019 as a limited production model.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #240
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
FWIW:
  • BMW F87 EOP (end of production) = 2020; but please note that also the "M2 Competition" = F87;
  • in a May 2017 interview BMW M CEO Frank Van Meel confirmed: "There is so much demand worldwide for the M2, we need to bring up production volumes." (source: here).

Attachment 1697449
Urrghh. What happened to you ??
You used to have all the answers.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #241
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

I would also like to plead the bunny.
Appreciate 4
StephGOD218.50
Gatte1193.00
Artemis28911.50
Dackelone10511.00
      09-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #242
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Ynguldyn already said that the M2 CS is the M2 competition.BMW was just undecided on what the name was going to be.He already confirmed that the M2 CS is now officially called the M2 competition.I don't think that the 1000 units applies to the M2 competition.It may refer to the M2 CSL which might be released in 2019 as a limited production model.
You keep using the words "confirmed" and "officially" for statements that aren't coming from BMW

Now that 2ertalk.de shut down their M2 CS/CLS/GTS thread (due to trolling) where's everyones copy and paste info going to come from?
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50