BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > OG M2 Dinan suspension

10-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #1
japesinjapan
Rep
Drives: M2 Black Shadow, Levorg STI

Talking OG M2 Dinan suspension

I'm looking to grab the dinan suspension for my 2018 M2 black shadow. Is there anywhere that is recommended to purchase from? For price, customer service, or anything of the like? Discount for forum members? I dont even know really lol.

Big point is that I'm in Japan, so I need somewhere that is OK to ship here. Any tips would be great.

Or, if anyone has a used set in very good condition, hit me up too.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Connors5453
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Kw HAS kit does the same job at a more reasonable price! FYI! Not running that setup but I've heard great things
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

You can always purchase directly from Dinan (although I am not sure about their policy on delivery to Japan) BUT be careful, I have experienced massive delays on my purchase of their exhaust system due to COVID delays. However, the suspension systems may not be made to order, so you might not have the same issue. I would recommend contacting Dinan and asking them if they have sets currently in stock for order.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
japesinjapan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connors5453 View Post
Kw HAS kit does the same job at a more reasonable price! FYI! Not running that setup but I've heard great things
The KW kit seems to not be what I'm after. Some people have had wear and tear issues it seems. As well, it makes everything stiffer, which is the opposite of the direction I want to go. Sad really, because I can get them locally and they are half the price!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
japesinjapan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
You can always purchase directly from Dinan (although I am not sure about their policy on delivery to Japan) BUT be careful, I have experienced massive delays on my purchase of their exhaust system due to COVID delays. However, the suspension systems may not be made to order, so you might not have the same issue. I would recommend contacting Dinan and asking them if they have sets currently in stock for order.
I've already checked, and they do not ship to Japan. I've found other dealers that have them in stock and could have them at my door in a week or so. Just puts my total price around 1600$ USD. Its a big pill to swallow for springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by japesinjapan View Post
I've already checked, and they do not ship to Japan. I've found other dealers that have them in stock and could have them at my door in a week or so. Just puts my total price around 1600$ USD. Its a big pill to swallow for springs.
I just ordered my M Performance coils. Frankly, the 600 dollar price difference between coils and springs made it a no brainer for me.

The adjustable damping is so important, it will let me swap between a daily and track or canyon oriented setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 06:13 AM   #7
japesinjapan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
I just ordered my M Performance coils. Frankly, the 600 dollar price difference between coils and springs made it a no brainer for me.

The adjustable damping is so important, it will let me swap between a daily and track or canyon oriented setup.
I'm so jealous. I was at BMW last week getting a quote for the M perf suspension. Was ~6000 USD installed. We get fucking SOAKED out here.

Then again, my black shadow is a 100k USD car here.

Pity me.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #8
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Ok, I feel like I have to share my experience with Dinan HAS.

In my opinion it's overhyped as being more comfortable than stock springs. That's just not true. The springs are stiffer.

I started with OEM, the ride was a bit harsh but tolerable, I didn't like the ride height.
So I got H&R springs. The height was ok although the rear had less fender gap than front and that bugged me. The ride got even stiffer but still tolerable.
Moved onto the Dinan HAS. I can finally get the fender gaps even although the fronts don't go as low as advertised. The ride comfort is basically the same as the H&R so less comfortable than OEM.

I'm not sure where the myth of Dinan being more comfortable than OEM came from but in my experience it's just not true.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with the setup, I just don't like false claims. I think they are quite overpriced for what they can do.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Ok, I feel like I have to share my experience with Dinan HAS.

In my opinion it's overhyped as being more comfortable than stock springs. That's just not true. The springs are stiffer.

I started with OEM, the ride was a bit harsh but tolerable, I didn't like the ride height.
So I got H&R springs. The height was ok although the rear had less fender gap than front and that bugged me. The ride got even stiffer but still tolerable.
Moved onto the Dinan HAS. I can finally get the fender gaps even although the fronts don't go as low as advertised. The ride comfort is basically the same as the H&R so less comfortable than OEM.

I'm not sure where the myth of Dinan being more comfortable than OEM came from but in my experience it's just not true.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with the setup, I just don't like false claims. I think they are quite overpriced for what they can do.
This is my first time hearing this. I think everyone with the Dinan HAS said it made the ride softer. Bummer as I was looking at it for that reason. If you were to do it again, would you get Dinan or something else?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
This is my first time hearing this. I think everyone with the Dinan HAS said it made the ride softer. Bummer as I was looking at it for that reason. If you were to do it again, would you get Dinan or something else?
I still think they are the best lowering springs, I just don't think they make the ride softer than stock. My shocks are still ok, the car had less than 10k miles when I installed them.

I bought them used as a temporary solution, I will eventually go to Ohlins with custom spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Something I’ve mentioned in other posts is that they are not softer, but the linear springs get rid of the stock pogo stick style bounciness over small bumps. So, it feels like the ride is more compliant.

This is even apparent to me when I have driven M2C’s that are supposed to be more buttoned down than the OG M2.

They are definitely harsher over medium to large bumps, tho.
Appreciate 1