BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > brake pads

04-05-2024, 01:35 PM   #23
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Well folks, I've been down this road, lots of good info above.

My stock brakes were acting like the rotors were warped early on and at 8k miles, dealer did a "goodwill replacement" of the front pads & rotors. Problem solved. For 4k miles anyways, the same amount of time it took to crop up with the original parts in place. So I started researching and came to the same conclusion as above - it's not warped rotors, it's deposits on the rotors from the shitty stock Brembo brake pads. So at the recommendation of many, I went with the Carbotech 1521's at about 14k miles. I'm now at 32k miles. MUCH MUCH prefer these pads for my use which is 100% street. Pedal feel is miles better, much more linear, about 90% of brake dust now gone and wheels stay clean forever. My indy mechanic was supposed to do a light turn on the rotors to get the deposits off but didn't - and I still had some of that shimmy feel for quite a while, but now 18k miles later, it's all but gone.

Here's a good article about brake rotors, warping & deposits.. posted here by someone a few years ago. Everyone with 2NH brakes should read this....

https://alconkits.com/blogs/news/the...d-brake-rotors
///MPhatic13904.00
chris7197339.50
      04-05-2024, 02:28 PM   #24
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Well folks, I've been down this road, lots of good info above.

My stock brakes were acting like the rotors were warped early on and at 8k miles, dealer did a "goodwill replacement" of the front pads & rotors. Problem solved. For 4k miles anyways, the same amount of time it took to crop up with the original parts in place. So I started researching and came to the same conclusion as above - it's not warped rotors, it's deposits on the rotors from the shitty stock Brembo brake pads. So at the recommendation of many, I went with the Carbotech 1521's at about 14k miles. I'm now at 32k miles. MUCH MUCH prefer these pads for my use which is 100% street. Pedal feel is miles better, much more linear, about 90% of brake dust now gone and wheels stay clean forever. My indy mechanic was supposed to do a light turn on the rotors to get the deposits off but didn't - and I still had some of that shimmy feel for quite a while, but now 18k miles later, it's all but gone.

Here's a good article about brake rotors, warping & deposits.. posted here by someone a few years ago. Everyone with 2NH brakes should read this....

https://alconkits.com/blogs/news/the...d-brake-rotors
My experience pretty much mirrors yours. The girl that had my car before me complained about the rotors and tires, so at 9400 miles BMW replaced the rotors, pads, and tires, and she promptly traded the car (then I bought it). I didn't wait for the pads to give me hell, I immediately replaced them with Akebonos, then when I got the 2NH went CarboTech. No issues with either, although for a pure street pad I prefer the Akebono, it's just too bad that they don't make pads for the 2NH.

That's a good article, but he skips over the fact that not all pads need to be bedded-in. In fact, the more ceramic the pad material, the less it needs bed-in, and if you do bed them in you'll glaze them and the rotor terribly.

He also doesn't mention the fact that with some pads, like those that come fitted to the M2, parts of the pad material are harder than the rotor, so over 30% of what you're seeing as brake pad dust is actually rotor. Couple that with the fact that BMW only gives 1.6mm of wear and you've got yourself a cash cow for those that don't know better.
Appreciate 2
chris7197339.50
CC3586454.00
      04-09-2024, 06:00 AM   #25
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition MT

Ordered the 1521s based on this thread, mainly because the dusting makes me half insane. My car is a toy for me, and I basically only drive it on nice days, so having the car turn black from the brakes, and especially trying to maintain the wheels, makes me a bit nutty.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 05:01 PM   #26
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
Ordered the 1521s based on this thread, mainly because the dusting makes me half insane. My car is a toy for me, and I basically only drive it on nice days, so having the car turn black from the brakes, and especially trying to maintain the wheels, makes me a bit nutty.
You won't regret it. I'm very happy with mine.
Appreciate 1