BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > US allocations

03-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #45
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Damn, bummer... :/ My dealer might be in the same boat as well since their first HEA car is arriving in May although it's one of the largest dealerships in the Bay Area.
I think you'll be in good shape. My dealer is small to mid-sized. A large dealer in a large city with a good history of M car sales should at least get a couple out of the gate, I'd think....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #46
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I think you'll be in good shape. My dealer is small to mid-sized. A large dealer in a large city with a good history of M car sales should at least get a couple out of the gate, I'd think....
This whole M2 allocation situation is driving me crazy. I hope we all get our cars as soon as possible (preferably May/June ).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #47
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Hey all. I have an unpleasant update from one dealer i am working with.
He said I will probably NOT make my timeline for ED May 16th - May 20th. I am #1 at their dealership. He does not believe any customer cars will be built before the beginning of May.

I questioned a few things because the do not add up. Stay with me...
I know the dealers i am working with have their HEA cars sitting at port waiting for the EPA hold to be released. They have been sitting there for 3-4 weeks. He said that BMW is doing this so all the dealers with have their launch cars at the same time. Ok, sounds legit.
I asked why would they start building those cars in Jan? Build time, rail to port transport, ship to Murica and land in U.S. Early to Mid Feb. THEN STOP BUILDING CARS FOR 3 MONTHS??? This is hard to understand.

He also hinted that there is an "Invite only" M event at the Nurburgring beginning of May. He says that production of customer cars will start after that event. He believes customers will not start receiving their cars till June at the earliest. He admitted that they are a small dealership so that could change based on volume, but in my case I am almost out of luck.

I am pissed b/c I will miss out on meeting my best friends in Germany and driving down to Croatia and Slovenia.

I'll eventually get the car, which is fantastic. But the experience with that and traveling Europe with great friends outweighs a stupid car ya know?

Hopefully y'all aren't in a time-crunch.

I'll keep ya posted if I get some more info tomorrow. I have another appointment with a different dealer. Gotta weigh my options...if I have any
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:07 AM   #48
iamlong
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan

Miipilot,

Fuck the car dude. Do the trip and be a pax in your friends' car or rent something. That eclipses a car all day.

Or lease an M3 for the same cost of leasing a M2

Either way I think you should make your trip happen.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #49
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
A friend of mine works at a dealership and I was told that BMW releases the allocations on the 10th of every month. They have no M2 allocations as yet at this dealership. He also stated that a BMW rep said that the original plan was for each dealership to get about 5 M2's this year and they may need to rethink that number.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #50
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

They have been sitting there for 3-4 weeks. He said that BMW is doing this so all the dealers with have their launch cars at the same time. Ok, sounds legit.

Does make sense. I called the dealer that was gonna "Market Adjust" my car by 20k to tell them I have locked in a car at MSRP and it is actually at the port. He had a heart attack. I gave him the last 7 and then listened to him go off. The HEA car they are getting is an April build so no way would it get here by the 16th.

Audi does a great job protecting their cars during transport. BMW does not. Leaving them out in a parking lot exposed for 3-4 months...I hope everyone inspects the paint on their cars well before signing.

And I agree, you should go anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:48 AM   #51
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

The pent-up demand clearly isn't going to be met by a horrible supply schedule. In any case, I'll probably hold out until some hue of red, orange, or red-orange becomes available in the M2.
      03-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #52
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
I asked why would they start building those cars in Jan? Build time, rail to port transport, ship to Murica and land in U.S. Early to Mid Feb. THEN STOP BUILDING CARS FOR 3 MONTHS???
Not quite correct. HEA production is still ongoing for the US according to these forums. It seems that MY2016 M2's were mainly intended to be a limited run of press vehicles and demos. The communication of allocation info on this car is unprecedented, hence the ordering confusion. Dealers were told their allotments for the year, midway through model-year production and only weeks before launch. Production numbers are still being kept secret.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #53
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I'm in a similar situation.

I have close family members that will be in Europe from mid May to mid June. I was hoping to do an ED late May or early June. Since my dealer has not received any allocations yet I am losing hope. He is expecting some April but he was expecting some in March as well and received nothing.

I'll eventually get the car as well but the timing is little off.

Quote:
Hey all. I have an unpleasant update from one dealer i am working with.
He said I will probably NOT make my timeline for ED May 16th - May 20th. I am #1 at their dealership. He does not believe any customer cars will be built before the beginning of May.

I questioned a few things because the do not add up. Stay with me...
I know the dealers i am working with have their HEA cars sitting at port waiting for the EPA hold to be released. They have been sitting there for 3-4 weeks. He said that BMW is doing this so all the dealers with have their launch cars at the same time. Ok, sounds legit.
I asked why would they start building those cars in Jan? Build time, rail to port transport, ship to Murica and land in U.S. Early to Mid Feb. THEN STOP BUILDING CARS FOR 3 MONTHS??? This is hard to understand.

He also hinted that there is an "Invite only" M event at the Nurburgring beginning of May. He says that production of customer cars will start after that event. He believes customers will not start receiving their cars till June at the earliest. He admitted that they are a small dealership so that could change based on volume, but in my case I am almost out of luck.

I am pissed b/c I will miss out on meeting my best friends in Germany and driving down to Croatia and Slovenia.

I'll eventually get the car, which is fantastic. But the experience with that and traveling Europe with great friends outweighs a stupid car ya know?

Hopefully y'all aren't in a time-crunch.

I'll keep ya posted if I get some more info tomorrow. I have another appointment with a different dealer. Gotta weigh my options...if I have any
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #54
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Not quite correct. HEA production is still ongoing for the US according to these forums. It seems that MY2016 M2's were mainly intended to be a limited run of press vehicles and demos. The communication of allocation info on this car is unprecedented, hence the ordering confusion. Dealers were told their allotments for the year, midway through model-year production and only weeks before launch. Production numbers are still being kept secret.
This is correct, my car just finished production and should either be on a boat now or about to board. My production started mid February. This was also a "modifiable" HEA car.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #55
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

I'm sure the M2 is one of their lower margin units. How motivated are they going to be to crank out the volume and take sales form M235 and M4 units?
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #56
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not sure how motivated they are, but customers not being able to plan a new car order is not good for sales. This is esp. true for sales from lease-enders.

If BMW builds a high-demand car, what that car offers likely becomes a buyer's benchmark. If the car is unavailable, they will either look at comparables within the lineup and if nothing exists, go to another manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #57
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

just got back from the main dealer I am working with.
they also weren't optimistic about me making my timeline. they said if they don't hear anything within the next week...fugetaboutit.
not promising.

in a last ditch effort to make my timeframe, I have made an offer on an M3. if accepted, I'll have to suffer with an M3. the .9% interest saves a little money and brings the 2 cars closer over the long term

if not accepted, I'll just have to alter my plans. SUCKS ASS (in the bad way). he did say that if I choose to wait till ED in Sept, I'll still be able to get a '16
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #58
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Sounds pretty clear that, outside HEA cars, not many 2016 cars will be available for customers in spite of the demand volume. So, how much will BMW jack up the price for 2017 models? Since people are quite willing to pay MSRP, how about a 10% price increase?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #59
redshift1
Rep
Drives: 2015 infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Sounds pretty clear that, outside HEA cars, not many 2016 cars will be available for customers in spite of the demand volume. So, how much will BMW jack up the price for 2017 models? Since people are quite willing to pay MSRP, how about a 10% price increase?
The question is why purchase a M2 at M4 prices when your resale value is significantly lower. That said nothing in California car pricing surprises
me anymore especially in specialty cars.

I remember the Corvette forums from a couple of years ago with people paying well over invoice and thinking their cars would actually appreciate over time. Now two years later deals well below MSRP abound.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #60
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

People were getting production numbers in as little as 60ish days out from their production date with the M3 launch last year. Granted, they were getting them well before the launch date but still a glimmer of hope.

Last edited by PackPride85; 03-10-2016 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #61
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
So if I get a production number for July build, is it going to be 2017 model year?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #62
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
So if I get a production number for July build, is it going to be 2017 model year?
Yes. July is MY2017 for the M2.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #63
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

looks like my offer of 1500 and 2250 over ED invoice was rejected. my dealer doesn't discount below ED msrp and only takes 3% off US msrp for repeat customers.

looks like a fly in, fly out ED trip for me whenever I get an allocation.

it is what it is. disappointed, but over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #64
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
looks like a fly in, fly out ED trip for me whenever I get an allocation.
Not worth it.
You get 5% off base MSRP which amounts to, what, about $2,500. The flight will cost about $2,000. Getting from the airport to the Welt about $50. Plus all the other little expenses.
Have it delivered to your house and don't sweat the small stuff.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #65
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
The pent-up demand clearly isn't going to be met by a horrible supply schedule. In any case, I'll probably hold out until some hue of red, orange, or red-orange becomes available in the M2.
I wish Sahkir was an option now!!! Perfect color. IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #66
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Not worth it.
You get 5% off base MSRP which amounts to, what, about $2,500. The flight will cost about $2,000. Getting from the airport to the Welt about $50. Plus all the other little expenses.
Have it delivered to your house and don't sweat the small stuff.
+1

You're barely saving any money for a 1 day trip and it just delays the US redelivery.
Appreciate 0