BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C Parking sensors strange behaviour

05-06-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 COMPETITION

M2C Parking sensors strange behaviour

Hi everyone, I do apologies if this topic was treated before but I couldn't find anything relevant with the search function, so if that's the case please direct me there, otherwise could someone shed some lights about the parking sensors behaviour.

I do have PDC front and back on my M2C (first time I have them on a car) and I noticed a rather annoying behaviour with them, never noticed in any other car I've been in. When parking putting the gear in neutral doesn't stop the acoustic signal to blast your ears. Is that intended? Is there a work around to it which is not disabling the sensors with the button?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #2
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _debo View Post
Hi everyone, I do apologies if this topic was treated before but I couldn't find anything relevant with the search function, so if that's the case please direct me there, otherwise could someone shed some lights about the parking sensors behaviour.

I do have PDC front and back on my M2C (first time I have them on a car) and I noticed a rather annoying behaviour with them, never noticed in any other car I've been in. When parking putting the gear in neutral doesn't stop the acoustic signal to blast your ears. Is that intended? Is there a work around to it which is not disabling the sensors with the button?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I've seen a few reviews and posts about this. It seems that the easiest way to get it to stop os to shut the car off. There was a forum member who replaced his mode selection buttons with those from a higher model number, I think it was an M4, so that he could have the button that allowed him to immediately toggle the sensors. I'll see if I can dig that post up.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #3
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
I've seen a few reviews and posts about this. It seems that the easiest way to get it to stop os to shut the car off. There was a forum member who replaced his mode selection buttons with those from a higher model number, I think it was an M4, so that he could have the button that allowed him to immediately toggle the sensors. I'll see if I can dig that post up.
Yes please, if you can find the thread it would be great, I searched all the possible keywords I could think of but without luck.

I do have the button, it comes standard on the M2C if you go for both front and read PDC... but it's just somehow an annoyance, you'd expect the acoustic signal to go away when in neutral right? Unfortunately I also checked and it doesn't like it can be coded either.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes please, if you can find the thread it would be great, I searched all the possible keywords I could think of but without luck.

I do have the button, it comes standard on the M2C if you go for both front and read PDC... but it's just somehow an annoyance, you'd expect the acoustic signal to go away when in neutral right? Unfortunately I also checked and it doesn't like it can be coded either.
Oh, I didn't realize that you already have the button... it wasn't there on the OG M2. A quick search revealed that the thread that I was referring to was for the OG. That's pretty much the fix then, other than disabling the sensors entirely. Definitely not ideal, and a weird oversight by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This is the thread that I was looking for: Rear parking sensor on/off switch installed https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1345311
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #6
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is the thread that I was looking for: Rear parking sensor on/off switch installed https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1345311
Cheers, really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #7
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize that you already have the button... it wasn't there on the OG M2. A quick search revealed that the thread that I was referring to was for the OG. That's pretty much the fix then, other than disabling the sensors entirely. Definitely not ideal, and a weird oversight by BMW.
Yes I do, however, the thread resulted useful anyway because someone mentioned an LCI Firmware update fixed that... so now I'm even more puzzled yet curious.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

You want it off you have to press the button, it’s meant to beep
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek305 View Post
You want it off you have to press the button, it’s meant to beep
What do you mean it's meant to beep? I know it's meant to beep while I'm manouvering but once I'm parked why on earth should it keep beeping considering I came to a safe stop? I never saw such a behaviour in any other car I've been on with parking sensors hence my surprise

Yes I read that BMW says it's like that by design in case someone walk past by you but that's what rear mirrors and read cameras are for no? Now it seems that the latest software update that came out the 19th March should fix this and it should work on my model, I'll see when I'll take it in for the pre-break in oil change in 50/100 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I do, however, the thread resulted useful anyway because someone mentioned an LCI Firmware update fixed that... so now I'm even more puzzled yet curious.

Thanks again.
It was "fixed" for late 2017 & 2018 on the original M2 and its related software updates because those MY didn't have a button, stock, to be able to kill the PDC sensors in neutral..

After the M2C added front sensors and thus a PDC button, they reverted back to the old logic of keeping the sensors on in neutral, unless manually switched off.

So like you predicted, it's by design. Not sure if it could be changed with coding but I do know that you could completely disable the PDC system or just the beeping sound via BimmerCode.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      05-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

My Audi (ZF 8-speed) behaves the same way as my M2C (MT): Once the sensors are on, triggered by going to reverse, they stay on until you either move forward at faster than ~7-8mph, hit the button, or shut the car off. Changing to P, N, or Drive in the Audi or ANY gear/neutral in the M2 doesn't affect anything.

Not saying it's correct or preferred, but it seems to be the way both Audi and BMW do it
i.e. "They all do that"
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      05-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
My Audi (ZF 8-speed) behaves the same way as my M2C (MT): Once the sensors are on, triggered by going to reverse, they stay on until you either move forward at faster than ~7-8mph, hit the button, or shut the car off. Changing to P, N, or Drive in the Audi or ANY gear/neutral in the M2 doesn't affect anything.

Not saying it's correct or preferred, but it seems to be the way both Audi and BMW do it
i.e. "They all do that"
Do you have the rear camera too?

My cousin new X3 doesn't do it, his previous Golf didn't, my friend Qashqai doesn't either so go figure
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It was "fixed" for 2017 & 2018 on the original M2 and its related software updates because those MY didn't have a button, stock, to be able to kill the PDC sensors in neutral..

After the M2C added front sensors and thus a PDC button, they reverted back to the old logic of keeping the sensors on in neutral, unless manually switched off.

So like you predicted, it's by design. Not sure if it could be changed with coding but I do know that you could completely disable the PDC system or just the beeping sound via BimmerCode.
Nope I checked that, definitely it can't be coded.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Do you have the rear camera too?

My cousin new X3 doesn't do it, his previous Golf didn't, my friend Qashqai doesn't either so go figure
Yes, rear camera in both
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, I guess I'll have to live with it then... super annoying though, I guess the only partial solution is configure the volume to not deafen me
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I think you can customize this with the Bimmercode app.

I need to change when going to reverse and back to first year the screen stays on reverse until a certain speed is reached. I want to change this to the lowest speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I checked the PDC section on their website and what you can do it's very limited

https://www.bimmercode.app/cars/f22/
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
I checked the PDC section on their website and what you can do it's very limited

https://www.bimmercode.app/cars/f22/
Under REM:

3203 PdcParkMasterVar, 14

V_SCHWELLE_1 (V THRESHOLD 1)

Custom: 00

The default speed cut-off is 0F or 2klm.

00 should stop the sound.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #19
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Where did you get those values from? From the bimmercode website these are the available speeds:

5 km/h
10 km/h
15 km/h
20 km/h
30 km/h
40 km/h
50 km/h
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #20
Frank K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Sounds like pretty reasonable behavior. If it would turn off when switching to neutral, wouldn't it even encourage people to park in neutral?
2019 M2 Competition: DCT, BSM, 29U (ordered 9/1, production week 41, finished production 10/8, at port 10/11, left Bremerhaven on 10/20 on Horizon Highway (K line), arrived in Southampton 10/21, Baltimore/MD on 10/31 and Brunswick/GA on 11/3, at dealership on 11/12)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:09 AM   #21
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank K View Post
Sounds like pretty reasonable behavior. If it would turn off when switching to neutral, wouldn't it even encourage people to park in neutral?
That's taken care of, on DCT model you can't turn off the car in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #22
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank K View Post
That's taken care of, on DCT model you can't turn off the car in neutral.
You can. You just have to press the button again to throw it into "park". But you are right that unlike turning the car off in drive or in reverse, it won't automatically go to park.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0