BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Insurance claim on aftermarket parts?

05-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
AnthraciteOG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Road & Track Build

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Lightbulb Insurance claim on aftermarket parts?

Hi All

I'm posting this thread to see if anyone has experience with claiming aftermarket damages from accidents with their insurance.

A friend with a wrapped car suffered a bit of small damage to the front bumper area and the only way to repair is to re-wrap the entire front bumper. However, the wrap color is no longer
in production so the only way to repair the car is by re-wrapping the entire car with a different color.

Has anyone had experiences claiming damages on wrap or clear bra(Xpel, SunTek, DYNOshield etc)?
My friend has full coverage and OEM endorsement. His insurance has paid for small aftermarket part replacement before, but not anything like this big.

I once saw on YouTube that MKBHD got his car entirely re-wrapped after his accident and the insurance paid for everything.
His wrap color was not discontinued, the reason he got entire car redone is because the color will look different to the rest of the car if you only wrap one area that's damaged.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

They may pay for it- but only if he has supplemental coverage for aftermarket parts at a specific value. It’s not a yes or no checkbox- you tell them how much in aftermarket is added and they charge you a commensurate amount.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Typically you need to declare that you have aftermarket add ons to your insurance before it will be covered especially with something that carries a hefty price tag. Just having standard full coverage doesn't include aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I did this with Geico. I hope to never make a claim but they ask how much and which part.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Typically you need to declare that you have aftermarket add ons to your insurance before it will be covered especially with something that carries a hefty price tag. Just having standard full coverage doesn't include aftermarket parts.
If someone hits me that's not my problem it is now their insurance companies problem

I have all my receipts to substantiate my claim
      05-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
If someone hits me that's not my pro it is now their insurance companies problem

True that if another party is at fault. I had this first hand as well.

OP's post wasn't very clear and I assumed it was the owner fault in which case he def needs to have it supplemented
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16540.50
      05-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
AnthraciteOG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, thats what I assumed too.

However when I submitted a comprehensive claim for my own car last year they paid for the aftermarket part replacement with no doubt or delay when they received the estimate on the part.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
AnthraciteOG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If someone hits me that's not my pro it is now their insurance companies problem

OP's post wasn't very clear and I assumed it was the owner fault in which case he def needs to have it supplemented
This is not owner's fault. My friend's car struck something while he was driving at night, he didn't exactly see what it was but it looked like a construction ladder or a road sign.

Thx for all the replies!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #9
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraciteOG View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is not owner's fault. My friend's car struck something while he was driving at night, he didn't exactly see what it was but it looked like a construction ladder or a road sign.

Thx for all the replies!
That counts as owners fault and would be under comprehensive coverage actually. Any time you hit road debris. Sucks but that's how the insurance eyes see it

I hope it all works out for you. And it get covered
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #10
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
If you had something in the middle of the road it's collision if something hits you it's comprehensive

Something like this interior fire is also comprehensive

Definitely not the owners fault
      05-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #11
M FUELED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

How much extra do you pay a month for the supplemental if you don’t mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
I did this with Geico. I hope to never make a claim but they ask how much and which part.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUELED View Post
How much extra do you pay a month for the supplemental if you don’t mind me asking?
I think I said I had about 8k in aftermarket parts and it went up $75.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #13
M FUELED
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Not bad. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
I think I said I had about 8k in aftermarket parts and it went up $75.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #14
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you had something in the middle of the road it's collision if something hits you it's comprehensive

Something like this interior fire is also comprehensive

Definitely not the owners fault
This is way off base.

Collision Insurance covers damage to your vehicle in the event of a covered accident involving a collision with another vehicle. ... Comprehensive car insurance pays for damage to your vehicle caused by covered events such as theft, vandalism or hail, which are not collision-related.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #15
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

When you hit a deer, your claim is filed under comprehensive insurance. But if you swerve to miss a deer and crash, it is a collision claim.

Although a deer may have started the chain of events that led you to crash the car, if your vehicle didn’t actually have contact with the animal, it isn’t a comprehensive claim. If you collide with another car or an object (such as a guardrail or tree) or roll your vehicle, the claim for your damages falls under your collision coverage.

You might think a deer strike would be covered by collision, since this coverage normally covers when your car has an impact with another vehicle or object. However, contact with animals (wild or domestic) is specifically listed as a loss covered by “other than collision,” which means comprehensive coverage.
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16540.50