BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > CDV Removal/Replacement "Easier" Option

04-06-2021, 04:44 AM   #111
nismosao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Toyota Tacoma, '21 M2C

Am I the only one who doesn’t feel jerkiness or hopping like a kangaroo as someone else put it? Does the car do this to others?

I hadn’t driven a manual in 10 years, but jumped right back into this one, and there is no jerkiness IMO. Of course, if you are pushing the gas pedal down hard and press in the clutch, everyone’s head moves forward. I feel like that’s just a product of a manual transmission.

Does this occur with more mileage?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:10 AM   #112
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

The jerkey-ness I speak of is not when you clutch down and heads move forward from lack of acceleration. That's expected, of course. What I speak of is a difficult engagement where the car judders or engages harder than expected when leaving from stopped and sometimes the next 1-2 shift. The CDV makes this much more difficult and unpleasant than it needs to be because the delay in your inputs to the action of the clutch. The CDV makes the clutch move in a sluggish and soggy way, but you don't feel this in the pedal. You gain finer control over the clutch by removing this hydraulic restriction. This has nothing to do with the actual shifter and selecting gears.

Mileage has no effect, it's a hydraulic restriction that exists from mile 1. Though, the clutches are self adjusting, I believe, so that's not helping you feel the engagement point through the pedal. As it wears, the engagement point adjusts slightly, automatically. So not only is the engagement point depending on how rapidly you are moving the clutch, but also how recently the self adjustment ratcheting action has occurred. Removing the CDV aids in the feel and finer control over it's engagement. The engagement is no longer DELAYED from what you are expecting it to do.

Think of it as removing the turbo lag, but for your clutch pedal. Another way to think of it is the difference in the electronically controlled throttle on a standard BMW N54 motor, and the N54 in the 1M. The 1M has no throttle delay mapping, and thusly the throttle response is much more crisp and lively compared to a standard 335 or 135, which have throttle damping tables electronically applied that tuners have discovered and are able to flash into normal ROMs now. (IKM0S ROM on the 1M vs IJE0S or I8A0S on other N54 DMEs)

Some don't feel, notice, or care - that's a totally legitimate comment! But those that do notice - it can be really aggravating. If you don't notice anything wrong or unpleasant about your clutch's action, of course, leave it alone. It's your car, and it's very good as it is from the factory. This mod is for those of us that want that extra 10% of quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #113
nismosao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Toyota Tacoma, '21 M2C

Understood. I definitely have not felt this so far in the first 350 miles of owning the car with varying styles of driving. Maybe I am lucky. I was totally expecting the clutch and the transmission to suck when I got it based on the comments here.
      09-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #114
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Anyone running the ucp and clutch slave swap with a tune? Asking for a friend (this guy)
      10-23-2021, 05:00 PM   #115
Bilka
Captain
Rep
Drives: M440 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
The jerkey-ness I speak of is not when you clutch down and heads move forward from lack of acceleration. That's expected, of course. What I speak of is a difficult engagement where the car judders or engages harder than expected when leaving from stopped and sometimes the next 1-2 shift. The CDV makes this much more difficult and unpleasant than it needs to be because the delay in your inputs to the action of the clutch. The CDV makes the clutch move in a sluggish and soggy way, but you don't feel this in the pedal. You gain finer control over the clutch by removing this hydraulic restriction. This has nothing to do with the actual shifter and selecting gears.

Mileage has no effect, it's a hydraulic restriction that exists from mile 1. Though, the clutches are self adjusting, I believe, so that's not helping you feel the engagement point through the pedal. As it wears, the engagement point adjusts slightly, automatically. So not only is the engagement point depending on how rapidly you are moving the clutch, but also how recently the self adjustment ratcheting action has occurred. Removing the CDV aids in the feel and finer control over it's engagement. The engagement is no longer DELAYED from what you are expecting it to do.

Think of it as removing the turbo lag, but for your clutch pedal. Another way to think of it is the difference in the electronically controlled throttle on a standard BMW N54 motor, and the N54 in the 1M. The 1M has no throttle delay mapping, and thusly the throttle response is much more crisp and lively compared to a standard 335 or 135, which have throttle damping tables electronically applied that tuners have discovered and are able to flash into normal ROMs now. (IKM0S ROM on the 1M vs IJE0S or I8A0S on other N54 DMEs)

Some don't feel, notice, or care - that's a totally legitimate comment! But those that do notice - it can be really aggravating. If you don't notice anything wrong or unpleasant about your clutch's action, of course, leave it alone. It's your car, and it's very good as it is from the factory. This mod is for those of us that want that extra 10% of quality.
I did the e90 clutch slave swap today. Shifting from 1st to 2nd feels a lot more like 3rd to 4th now.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      10-27-2021, 06:25 AM   #116
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I've got an e90 slave ready for when it goes to have the faulty AS SSK replaced.

Yup a seized-when-hot spherical bearing on the SSK. Ronald sent over a full new unit US to UK free of charge. Can't fault his customer service.

Just got to pay for fitting...
Appreciate 1