BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Air suspension without compromising handling?

10-21-2020, 03:11 AM   #1
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Air suspension without compromising handling?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post after just taking delivery of my new M2C! Glad to join the forum.

Alright let me say off the bat that I'm not looking to bag my car to the ground, that's just not my taste, no offense to anyone that does, M2's look great in any height! I write this post because I'm in a dilemma. I want to lower the car but my driveway will destroy anything lower than an airplane. I prefer not to park outside under the sun as this is a buy and plan to keep the car in its best condition for as long as I possibly can. Therefore, does anyone have any suggestions on an air setup that can lift the front a couple inches on the fly, without sacrificing handling? Air has evolved over the years so I'm crossing my fingers I can vouch for a kit I can go up the driveway and take to the track. Maybe I'm asking for too much That's why I'm here writing this post lol.

I will post in the general thread as a proper introduction with some photos. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Get the drive reprofiled?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

No experience with them, but when I was shopping for coilovers, I noticed KW has an option that might work for you. It isn’t cheap.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-19299299.html
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Get the drive reprofiled?
Trust me that's been on my mind since buying the house (7 years straight). Unfortunately, there are too many components around the driveway that will also need to be redone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
No experience with them, but when I was shopping for coilovers, I noticed KW has an option that might work for you. It isn’t cheap.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-19299299.html
Oh nice I didn't know KW makes one. I feel a little better about it now since they have great craftsmanship. Yeah price sucks for something that only lifts 40mm/1.5in, time to do some measuring. Looks like I'll be waiting for blackfriday on this one. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post after just taking delivery of my new M2C! Glad to join the forum.

Alright let me say off the bat that I'm not looking to bag my car to the ground, that's just not my taste, no offense to anyone that does, M2's look great in any height! I write this post because I'm in a dilemma. I want to lower the car but my driveway will destroy anything lower than an airplane. I prefer not to park outside under the sun as this is a buy and plan to keep the car in its best condition for as long as I possibly can. Therefore, does anyone have any suggestions on an air setup that can lift the front a couple inches on the fly, without sacrificing handling? Air has evolved over the years so I'm crossing my fingers I can vouch for a kit I can go up the driveway and take to the track. Maybe I'm asking for too much That's why I'm here writing this post lol.

I will post in the general thread as a proper introduction with some photos. Thank you in advance!
It sounds like what you are looking for isn't really an air suspension, but a hydraulic lift system (maybe just for your front axle depending on your driveway). The great advantage of these systems is that when they are not in use, you ride on a standard metal spring and dampener system.

You'll find HLS equipped as either standard equipment or as a manufacturer option on many supercars, these systems let you keep razor sharp handling so you don't need to worry about the drawbacks of an airspring system. You also won't lose as much interior space as if you went with an airbag system and needed a tank and a compressor system.

While you will still need a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid, the system is far smaller, simpler, and less noisy.

I would suggest talking to KW, they don't currently make a kit for the M2, but they are awesome at putting together custom solutions. It won't be cheap, but if you only need it on your fronts, it may be equivalent to a full air system.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Maybe time for that Sports SUV?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
It sounds like what you are looking for isn't really an air suspension, but a hydraulic lift system (maybe just for your front axle depending on your driveway). The great advantage of these systems is that when they are not in use, you ride on a standard metal spring and dampener system.
Yup, a friend of mine has one on his NSX. It just lifts the front for driveways, and fast! I have to confess that the moment he showed it to me I was like, damn, I need one of those for the Lotus!

Trust me, this is what you need!

https://www.stanceparts.com/?fbclid=...qe3-Yj7UWJsKTI

Appreciate 3
      10-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Yup, a friend of mine has one on his NSX. It just lifts the front for driveways, and fast! I have to confess that the moment he showed it to me I was like, damn, I need one of those for the Lotus!

Those air cups are good, but the one downside is that they are still air powered. So you end up needing more space to mount a tank and compressor compared to the pretty tiny HLS pump and reservoir.

But either way, this kind of system is what OP is looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You'll find HLS equipped as either standard equipment or as a manufacturer option on many supercars, these systems let you keep razor sharp handling so you don't need to worry about the drawbacks of an airspring system. You also won't lose as much interior space as if you went with an airbag system and needed a tank and a compressor system.

While you will still need a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid, the system is far smaller, simpler, and less noisy.

I would suggest talking to KW, they don't currently make a kit for the M2, but they are awesome at putting together custom solutions. It won't be cheap, but if you only need it on your fronts, it may be equivalent to a full air system.
Thank you for the response. Yes! a hydraulic lift system, wasn't sure on the name. It's good to know it doesn't compromise handling, now I'm definitely sold on it. I spoke to KW like you suggested and they have a universal kit that'll fit any car, in fact. It's priced far too high for just a lift kit, not to mention the coilovers on top of that, I'm looking around a $7k suspension setup. KW lift kit might have to wait for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Maybe time for that Sports SUV?
Not married yet, so heeellllll no thanks lol

Quote:

Much better budget friendly option! Thank you so much I'm already in contact with these guys. Trying to get all 4 sides with a tankless option.

Thank you

Quote:
Those air cups are good, but the one downside is that they are still air powered. So you end up needing more space to mount a tank and compressor compared to the pretty tiny HLS pump and reservoir.

But either way, this kind of system is what OP is looking for.
They do have a tankless option, of course a compressor you need to store. Still Better than a tank however.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 01:51 AM   #10
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

I'm installing a Hybrid-Air system soon. Super excited about it.

www.hybrid-air.ca
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #11
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2OG View Post
I'm installing a Hybrid-Air system soon. Super excited about it.

www.hybrid-air.ca
Interesting. Definitely worth looking into as the air cups mentioned prior don't fit KW v3 coilovers. Fingers crossed they fit either KW or Bilstein and the tank isn't too big. I'll keep this thread updated when I find a solution.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #12
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: Neither KW or Bilstein coilovers work with cup kits (stanceparts.com). The stanceparts product is suggested to be used with BC Racing Coilovers, coming from stanaceparts staff themselves. Turner Motorsports suggests using the BS series compared to the BR series you see sold from most distributors. They suggest this due to its digressive piston design (more comfortable and better handling).

I've decided to delay my decision on suspension mod and ended up purchasing the equal length midpipe from Active, an oil catch can and high kick spoiler from Turners during black friday weekend. If it would've fit on either KW or Bilstein I would've been more confident in buying a little more impulsively. I will move to research on OEM suspension with aftermarket springs in conjunction with air cups and update on fitments.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions so far!

Last edited by UntzUntzUntz; 11-30-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:

Just an FYI. I asked around for a custom stance setup with the aircups and I was quoted around 5K for everything not including installation.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
Just an FYI. I asked around for a custom stance setup with the aircups and I was quoted around 5K for everything not including installation.
Sounds like a lot less than replacing front bumper covers and splitters once a year. It's also worth it to be looooooooooooooooooooowwwwwww.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #15
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
Who'd you ask exactly? I asked stanceparts for a custom cup to fit either KW or Bilstein but they weren't able to do a custom fitting unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #16
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Who'd you ask exactly? I asked stanceparts for a custom cup to fit either KW or Bilstein but they weren't able to do a custom fitting unfortunately.
I talked to TougeFactory The $5K included Ground Control Camber plates. PM me if you want more contact info and a referral.
Appreciate 1