BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Need feedback on PPF film install - is this acceptable work?

10-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

Need feedback on PPF film install - is this acceptable work?

Hey all. I just got my M2C front bumper covered with XPel PPF, and while it looks good from a few feet away, closer inspection reveals some fitment issues that I didn’t anticipate. I’m fairly particular and I just want to know whether this quality of work is acceptable for most other folks. I paid $600 for the install from a shop that was recommended by a local dealer.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

looks to be par for the course for a cookie cutter install. If you want a more seamless install you'll need custom cut for the edges to be tucked. that bubble in the last photo looks to be caused by a chip in your paint right at the edge.

The lifting in the 2nd to last photo should be easily corrected with some heat
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

I would not be happy. Were you able to see any other work the shop completed? How long have you had your car before getting the PPF installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
I would not be happy. Were you able to see any other work the shop completed? How long have you had your car before getting the PPF installed?
Car was new with 1000 miles under its belt. I wasn’t able to see any other work from that shop. I trusted the recommendation of the local BMW dealership a little too much, I suppose. The shop pushed back my pickup a day because they had to redo the bumper XPel.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Looks like they got in a hurry. No way I'd accept that for how much it costs...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagnificent55 View Post
Car was new with 1000 miles under its belt. I wasn’t able to see any other work from that shop. I trusted the recommendation of the local BMW dealership a little too much, I suppose. The shop pushed back my pickup a day because they had to redo the bumper XPel.
Ok, I just took a really, really close look at mine. They did custom cutting / fitting everywhere except the front bumper which is pretty complicated. If you look close enough on mine you can see edges and I have a spot that took a hard rock hit pre-PPF and that still looks like PPF over missing paint. Mine probably looks good from 6 inches to a foot away. Stick your face against the paint and it looks like it has PPF. My shop removed the front lip, grill, lights, etc, which made the PPF install easier.

It's hard to tell from your pictures but most of the cost can be in the prep work - especially if the car is not new. I'm not sure your shop did a good job before the PPF application. PPF won't look perfect and even less so if the prep work was not done well - you will have to decide what level is acceptable. I paid through the nose to get the paint looking good again before install.

My installer also did a one month check where they looked at the ceramic coating and PPF to check for any issues and fix where needed. This is where they could address any edges that are coming up or other fitment issues.

Last edited by redgs4; 10-06-2020 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I’d tamp down some of the edges a bit more. Most installers will say come back in a week to iron out imperfections. Other than that, looks pretty standard to me.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM162.50
      10-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #8
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I’d tamp down some of the edges a bit more. Most installers will say come back in a week to iron out imperfections. Other than that, looks pretty standard to me.
Thank you for the feedback. I'll bring it by after 2 weeks, as they suggested to deal with any remaining bubbles and raised edges.
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      10-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
Spider.
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 Competition

Yes, this looks like a standard job from an average installer using precuts. I've had this kind of install done on my first M2 when I didn't know any better. It does the job for the most part but, for me personally, I will not settle for that kind of install again. The chances of damage to those small uncovered areas is high. And for the price you pay, you shouldn't have to worry about that. Do a good search for an someone near you that is able to do custom cuts and actually tucks the film in. What they say is true, when shopping around, what matters most is the installer you chose.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 03:34 AM   #10
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Looks like a bad job.. some of those edges could've been cut more even or tucked into panel gaps... Over time, when the edges get dirt on them, it will look horrible then..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Everyone that says it's a bad job has clearly never seen pre cut film installs. This is pretty much standard for pre cut. There's no tucking because these types of pre cut film aren't cut by hand to have enough material to tuck.
Appreciate 4
ROASTM162.50
pz6193274.00
grl.racr380.00
      10-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Everyone that says it's a bad job has clearly never seen pre cut film installs. This is pretty much standard for pre cut. There's no tucking because these types of pre cut film aren't cut by hand to have enough material to tuck.
I had them tuck edges where possible. They didn't remove any pieces, so it wasn't possible on every part of the bumper. There is one defect that they will be fixing next week. I'll have them look at some other pieces of the job and check how well the carbon ceramic took to the surface. Thanks for the feedback y'all. I'm actually more ok with the job now, but watching the custom installs on YouTube with full, non-pre-cut sheets misshaped my perceptions.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50