BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Am I the only one who likes the original M2 more than the M2C ?

09-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #133
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

This is now a garage pics thread
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #134
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Only BMW:s I would like to own instead are the M4 and the M8..
The M4 is LONG!!!!!!!!! And the doors are LONG!!!!!!!!
Got rid of mine for the M2C.

But I would take a M8 if someone gave it too me
Appreciate 2
Dr.Deep1827.00
Fedorov162.00
      09-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #135
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
Both cars are great in their own way. Many of the things being argued over are subjective. There are a few things that are not subjective however. The S55 is a stronger power plant and performs better at the majority of points along the rev range and has more potential with tuning. This is not up for debate. On a track the M2C will outperform an M2 (stock for stock). Neither of these points is really debatable. Looks, sound, interior...all subjective. Personally, I wish i could put the powertrain, and interior from an M2C into and M2 body and somehow keep the M2 N55 exhaust sound. In my opinion that would be perfection.
B58 swap Those things putting down big numbers with stock internal and turbos, while sounding good.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #136
M3nford
Leased
Rep
Drives: M3

The ones here bashing the other car or making universal claims that the one they own is the best, simply exposes how insecure they are about the car they have.

This applies to both M2 and M2C owners.
How about let people who don't own either chime in? Since it seems like there's no way any of you owners can be unbiased.

So I'll say as a future owner. I prefer M2 over M2C over the many mentioned reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #137
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
God I hate Imperial, just go Metric guys
'Merica gave Metric a weak try when I was in 5th grade. Seems the only thing that stuck was the 2 liter bottle
There's nothing more American than changing the spelling of a measurement that you don't even use.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
      09-04-2020, 02:35 AM   #138
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Look at my signature.

Pros of OG: Better exhaust sound and I prefer the smaller kidney grilles.

Otherwise Comp without a doubt.
      09-04-2020, 02:56 AM   #139
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I don't like horses.
God I hate Imperial, just go Metric guys
Then what would we call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?

Sorry, that's just too confusing for us Yankees..

Appreciate 2
      09-04-2020, 03:02 AM   #140
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R View Post
Quote:
The way you put words in people's mouth and reduce everything to polar opposites, you should run for office.
if i lived in america my campaign would be about how the m2c sounds
I haven't yet had the privilege of examining the sound of M2C's note, in the flesh but I did thoroughly hear the exhaust of several different stock and tuned M4s and in my humble opinion, they don't sound that bad, if you just eliminated the pop and burbles - which can be done now without flash tuning..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26611599

I just hate that exhaust flow sound break up of synthetic and exaggerated burbles overruns, it gives the overall exhaust tune a bad rep. Which is ironic, for something that was extraneously added for the opposite reaction..

I assume the M2C, more or less, sounds like an M4, so from what I heard so far, the exhaust sound is not a deal-breaker for me and but seems to be the go-to dis for the S55-quipped vehicles. Which I think is an overreach because it's not exactly a NA V12 Ferrari tune but it does sounds robust, yet M2C owners are so insecure, it fall hook, line and sinker for that troll trap..

So yea, so logically I'll comprise for the more potent motor, which is the S55, if I was in the market for a new car but I'm about to be loan free, I'll stick with with my outdated car and hold out and see what S58 they're dropping in the next M2.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-04-2020, 05:01 AM   #141
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Then what would we call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?

Sorry, that's just too confusing for us Yankees..

A One-Thirteen-Point-Four....with Cheese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_Pounder

Quote:
The Quarter Pounder is a hamburger sold by international fast food chain McDonald's, so named for containing a patty with a precooked weight of a quarter of a pound (113.4 g). It was first introduced in 1971
Or a Seventy-One with Cheese

Overhere a pound is exactly 500 grams. Half a kilo(1000 grams)
a quarterpounder overhere would be 125 grams metric instead of One-Thirteen-Point-Four grams

About Yankees. This is Eastcoast/NY area about 370 years ago

All Dutch names
The last Dutch New York/Amsterdam Governor, Peter Stuyvestant is born 8 miles (5 mins) from where I live/where I am now atm.

We should have kept it Dutch. Bloody Brits

Cheers
Robin

Last edited by Robin_NL; 09-04-2020 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #142
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Where's the thread about am I the only one who like the M2C more than the M2 CS?

Last edited by cb804; 09-05-2020 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #143
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
There's nothing more American than changing the spelling of a measurement that you don't even use.
“When you tell somebody something, it depends on what part of the country you're standing in as to just how dumb you are.”
~Bo Darville

Or country in this case
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #144
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
. . . M2C owners are so insecure, it fall hook, line and sinker for that troll trap. . .
Poochie

I could not agree with you more . . .

The never-ending and fruitless pursuit to make turbo exhaust acoustics sound naturally aspirated represents an aftermarket wet dream. You know, ‘a sucker is born every day.’

I was one of those ‘suckers’ early in my turbo engine ownership experiences. After trial and error, I finally realized the aftermarket options only make the turbo exhaust acoustics louder. Not only an unimpressive sound, but it drowns out the whine of the turbo engine.

I have fully come to embrace the ENGINE acoustics or, as state above, the turbo whine when wrung out. Why drown the engine out through amplification of annoying exhaust acoustics?

I am also 100% with you when it comes to the after-run (burbles). Kind of cool for a while, but extremely annoying after time. My 718 CGTS has massive burbles in Sport mode, but they are eliminated in Sport Plus mode because Porsche considers Sport Plus a performance/track setting. The after-run wastes fuel, offers no performance advantage and the sound of a fully wrung out turbo engine is invigorating. . . why drown it out with unimpressive exhaust notes.

In contrast to Porsche models, the M2C burbles increase from Economy to Sport to Sport Plus modes. Fortunately, the burbles in the M2C are not that loud and can be barely appreciated when S55 is wrung out.

If one embraces the acoustics of a wrung-out turbo engine I think they will be pleasantly surprised with the sound coming from under the hood . . . instead of the exhaust pipes. I do not think most appreciate just what a distraction the stereo is when it comes to spirited driving. If you remove the distraction your satisfaction and appreciation for the S55 will improve by magnitudes, as will your sense of engagement.

There is a related ‘group think’ topic that is rampant on this forum and I think is completely overblown . . . ASD does not produce anything I recognize as ‘fake’ or intrusive.

Overall, the S55 produces a wonderful whine when wrung out. The exhaust acoustics are fine, but nothing I would want to accentuate with an aftermarket system. If anything, I would be interested in ways of accentuating the turbo acoustics coming from under the hood. K&M high flow air filters were a fail, and not quite committed to a more aggressive intake system at this point . . . again, the stock S55 sounds pretty fantastic.

///AVM
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
Moflow2484.50
BigKutta3901.00
      09-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #145
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I haven't yet had the privilege of examining the sound of M2C's note, in the flesh but I did thoroughly hear the exhaust of several different stock and tuned M4s and in my humble opinion, they don't sound that bad, if you just eliminated the pop and burbles - which can be done now without flash tuning..
Not that you asked for all this, but...

Oddly enough, I've never had an issue with the M3/M4 S55 sound, and still don't.

The only M2's I ever heard before I bought mine were the OG's, and they all sounded different versions of "great" IMO. Not utterly fantastic, but better than good. This is, my own bias talking too, as I like deep-tone, quieter exhaust sounds.

After buying my car I started searching for exhausts, and obviously heard a LOT of M2C exhausts on YouTube, and everyone bitching about the sound. I honestly didn't hear what all the fuss was about, as they sounded fine to me, just not quite as good as the OG.

Then I heard one in real life, and that all changed.

I was lucky enough to find a guy local to me that was visiting from Cali, and got to compare stock for stock side by side with the seats, mirrors, exhaust, power, etc.

The exhaust was just, well, terrible. Much worse than any video I had heard, and nothing like the M3/M4's I'd heard. We drove around each other, down the street and back, all the modes, and drove the cars together. The difference between the two back to back is crazy obvious.

He left a bit miffed that my car sounded better, and absolutely convinced to find an exhaust that would correct the issue.

I have since heard a few more M2C's in real life, one stock, and two with aftermarket exhaust, and the ones with exhaust sounded FINE...until I started my car.

So my honest feeling about the whole thing is that if you're not hearing them side by side, and you have a decent aftermarket exhaust, you'll probably never know the difference.

But me, yeah, I notice. But I'm a weirdo, I don't even listen to the radio in favor of hearing the car.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #146
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

I think both look great. The front fascia is honestly not that drastically different.

OP....However, if you are going to compare, please put stock photos of both. Not one with some of the nicest wheels on the market (and lowered)

Last edited by csbear; 09-04-2020 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #147
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
As a daily driver there is very little difference. Even the GM at my dealership said he didn’t gain anything by trading his M2 for an M2C. Most of us don’t track our cars so the M2C being a better track car doesn’t detract from the performance of our OG M2.

Both cars are great in their own way.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #148
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oddly enough, I've never had an issue with the M3/M4 S55 sound, and still don't.
I think my M2C sounds better than my M4C. However, speaking of feeling butt hurt, I cranked my car the other day and a neighbor asked, "Is it supposed to sound like that?"

Made me hang my head for a brief second
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      09-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #149
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
I think my M2C sounds better than my M4C.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I haven't compared the OG M2/M2C/M3/4C stock all at once.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #150
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, to be perfectly honest, I haven't compared the OG M2/M2C/M3/4C stock all at once.
I have, OG M2 hands down. Then M2C marginally better than M4C. Thinking it is probably because the M4C has more power and is louder?
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6632.00
      09-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #151
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post

Overall, the S55 produces a wonderful whine when wrung out. The exhaust acoustics are fine, but nothing I would want to accentuate with an aftermarket system. If anything, I would be interested in ways of accentuating the turbo acoustics coming from under the hood. K&M high flow air filters were a fail, and not quite committed to a more aggressive intake system at this point . . . again, the stock S55 sounds pretty fantastic.

///AVM
Yeah, there are aspects of the sound the M2C makes that I like. At around 3K RPM it takes on a nice little growl, and if you let boost build and then let off suddenly, the car will sometimes let out a loud exhaust "crack" sound that's pretty cool.

I do wish we had better burble control though. I like the response in Sport and Sport+ but I live in the city and don't like looking like an ass.

Like you though, i'd like more turbo sounds. I dunno whats up with this guy's car (i think its just an intake and also where he mounted his camera) but all the turbo sounds are kinda fun.

Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      09-05-2020, 07:56 AM   #152
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I do wonder if I had not driven an OG and M2C back to back, if I would have been as turned off by the M2C exhaust. I think that's a good point made above...

...but because I drove an The OG second, the lasting impression was that exhaust note. It honestly was the deciding factor for me. I couldn't get myself to pay $10k more for something that didn't sound as good to my ears.

There are so many factors that go into the driving experience, and I think most of them are near equal between the two M2s. But the sound is such a major part of the experience for me...because it is ever present...whether you are running errands around town, slinging the car around twisties, or wringing out the engine on a track.

At any rate, I love these freakin cars. And I'm bummed that driving season is nearing its end with winter right around the corner
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      09-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #153
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Yeah, there are aspects of the sound the M2C makes that I like. At around 3K RPM it takes on a nice little growl, and if you let boost build and then let off suddenly, the car will sometimes let out a loud exhaust "crack" sound that's pretty cool.

I do wish we had better burble control though. I like the response in Sport and Sport+ but I live in the city and don't like looking like an ass.

Like you though, i'd like more turbo sounds. I dunno whats up with this guy's car (i think its just an intake and also where he mounted his camera) but all the turbo sounds are kinda fun.

Anybody know how dude got that HUD looking display on his video? App, Software or Camera? I haven't a clue how he did that
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #154
Hrothgar
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT RWD

One thing the OG has going for it over M2C is the color choice. The M2 looks absolutely mean in MG! I don't like any of the available colors in the M2C. Not even a little bit. Didn't want to mess with wraps. Opted for used M2 LCI in MG and don't feel I'm missing out on anything the M2C offers as a DD.
Appreciate 4
cbmmm3318.50
ried791.50
M3R12167.00