BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Patch up Xpel?

09-14-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
swoosh_SE
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 (6MT AW)

Patch up Xpel?

Had a minor parking damage, which made a hole in my clear bra.

Is it possible to patch up a clear bra by adding a little piece and then using heat to make it "blend" with the bigger piece? Or do I have to remove the entire front bumper piece and redo it?

Thanks!

[/url]
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

No, Dont think thats possible. Better to pull the piece, fix the scuff and add another piece.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

You don't want them cutting the material on the car to make a retrofit so better to have them remove and re-install a new piece. I'd even go so far as to have the paint corrected first then wait the curing period and have them re-apply the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
it's such a small area. if you don't mind the imperfection, I'd just clean that area and put a small patch of Xpel over it.

if you are a perfectionist, its obvious that you need to pull the whole thing and redo the whole bumper.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
M2OG399.00
      09-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I have a small rock chip that went through the PPF on my hood and what i've decided to do is simply buy some touch up paint and clear coat to minimize the chips appearance. I don't think it's worth attempting to patch the PPF on such a small area. It's a 5mm hole at the most.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

If I recall, our installer indicated that PPF loves a flat surface and rock chips and paint imperfections hinder the PPF from laying down properly in that area. Not that you couldn't cover this with PPF, just that it wouldn't lay properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I have a small rock chip that went through the PPF on my hood and what i've decided to do is simply buy some touch up paint and clear coat to minimize the chips appearance. I don't think it's worth attempting to patch the PPF on such a small area. It's a 5mm hole at the most.
I'm not sure about ppf anymore. The reason I would get ppf is because I don't want to see any damage to the paint or even clearcoat whatsoever. If I am going to live with small chips (even 1 mm in size which I can see when I wash the car), I mind as well not even get any film. Anyone else think like this?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post

I'm not sure about ppf anymore. The reason I would get ppf is because I don't want to see any damage to the paint or even clearcoat whatsoever. If I am going to live with small chips (even 1 mm in size which I can see when I wash the car), I mind as well not even get any film. Anyone else think like this?
This is one chip in two years of ownership. There would be 50 if it weren't for the PPF. Trust me It's well worth the cost to at least do the front bumper, hood and headlights. Otherwise your car will start look like a mine field.
      09-15-2018, 01:35 AM   #9
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
This is one chip in two years of ownership. There would be 50 if it weren't for the PPF. Trust me It's well worth the cost to at least do the front bumper, hood and headlights. Otherwise your car will start look like a mine field.
I see your point. I guess i never had a car ever get to the point where there were more than a couple nicks here and there.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

XPEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh_SE View Post
Had a minor parking damage, which made a hole in my clear bra.

Is it possible to patch up a clear bra by adding a little piece and then using heat to make it "blend" with the bigger piece? Or do I have to remove the entire front bumper piece and redo it?

Thanks!

[/url]
swoosh_SE,

Unfortunately there is no way to patch the film, you'll need to remove the piece and have a new piece installed.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #11
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Bumping this thread. Had Xpel Ultimate installed 15 months ago, car had 9K miles.

Noticed the lower bumper corner bubbling up, dirty, yellowed. This area is 2" x 2". Definitely did not hit anything (I suppose could be road debris, but I really haven't driven it much since March). I wash and detail it pretty frequently and was shocked when I saw it -- it must have been recent because I would have noticed it.

It almost looks like sand under those bubbles. The rest of the bumper, hood and and rear quarter panels look perfect.

Shop thinks it needs full bumper replacement. Thoughts on what could cause this and ways to rectify? I guess they can't cut and patch?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

that was poorly cut to begin with. there is no such thing as cut and patch. it will only be replacing the entire panel/section.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
that was poorly cut to begin with. there is no such thing as cut and patch. it will only be replacing the entire panel/section.
I agree it was poorly cut to begin with.

The shop offered to replace the whole panel at their cost or cut and patch for no cost. I chose cut and patch, which they did in 30 minutes. It does create a seam, but it's not really visible unless you are underneath the front bumper or looking for it.
Appreciate 0