BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

11-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #1409
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Could you explain a bit more? Not sure what you mean by patching the head unit?

In other words, If you do the full-screen CarPlay (and I *just* got the cable to do it in the mail), I'm assuming that you're out of luck on any BimmerCode mods?

TIA.
No, you're wrong.
If you patch the headunit with CarPlay/Fullscreen, Bimmercode won't let you code Headunit(unless you restore to OEM), so the best way is to code headunit to your needs then apply the patch.
And guys, understand that this is BimmerCode fault. Simple as that. Not related to patch, as E-Sys works perfect.

Thanks and let's stop this non-sense discussion.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #1410
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post

Thanks and let's stop this non-sense discussion.
I'd hardly call this a nonsense discussion as it pertains directly to a downside in getting the full-screen CarPlay.

I'm unclear as to what you mean by "coding headunit".

My understanding is that once you do the full-screen CarPlay, you can NOT do any further modifications using BimmerCode?

Correct? Or am I missing something? The term "headunit" is confusing me.

Reflashing back to stock is not an option for me, as I have a Carbahn tune already.

Additionally, there are occasionally things using BimmerCode that I may want to code or uncode at a later date.

E-Sys is also not a player as a) I don't have the knowledge and b) don't trust myself not to buffoon something up and c) I only have a MacBook, not a PC.

Not trying to pick a fight-- truly trying to understand.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #1411
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'd hardly call this a nonsense discussion as it pertains directly to a downside in getting the full-screen CarPlay.

I'm unclear as to what you mean by "coding headunit".

My understanding is that once you do the full-screen CarPlay, you can NOT do any further modifications using BimmerCode?

Correct? Or am I missing something? The term "headunit" is confusing me.

Reflashing back to stock is not an option for me, as I have a Carbahn tune already.

Additionally, there are occasionally things using BimmerCode that I may want to code or uncode at a later date.

E-Sys is also not a player as a) I don't have the knowledge and b) don't trust myself not to buffoon something up and c) I only have a MacBook, not a PC.

Not trying to pick a fight-- truly trying to understand.
Headunit is iDrive only. You can code other things!
Reflash its not needed!

It is nonsense because I explained everything here.

You can code anything using Bimmercode after patch, you will be blocked with iDrive/Headunit/NBT only(don’t know how to explain it to you other way), but there is a easy way as I mentioned.

So to be clear:

If you use the patch for Fullscreen/CarPlay you will no longer be able to code Headunit/NBTEVO/IDRIVE unless you:
1. Recode it with E-SYS
2. Restore it to OEM using the same way as activation (2 minutes) then apply again
3. Just code things you want before then apply as there is no much really interesting stuff in iDrive/HEADUNIT/NBTEVO to code.

If it's done by me ask me to code stuff you need, I'm always willing to help to every customer, because what matters is satisfaction.

Thanks

Last edited by kubax86; 11-11-2020 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 07:01 PM   #1412
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Quote:
Could you explain a bit more? Not sure what you mean by patching the head unit?

In other words, If you do the full-screen CarPlay (and I *just* got the cable to do it in the mail), I'm assuming that you're out of luck on any BimmerCode mods?

TIA.
Sorry for not being clear, by 'patching the head unit' I meant updating it to unlock Carplay or fullscreen.

If you're worried, make your changes to the head unit ECU in BimmerCode *before* you do the full-screen carplay and everything will work. If you wait until *after* you do the full-screen carplay you wont be able to bimmercode the head unit ECU (other ECUs will still be fine).

I'm guessing that the headunit fails some authentication BimmerCode uses once CarPlay is unlocked or full-screened through the back door.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 08:59 PM   #1413
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Headunit is iDrive only. You can code other things!
Reflash its not needed!

It is nonsense because I explained everything here.

You can code anything using Bimmercode after patch, you will be blocked with iDrive/Headunit/NBT only(don’t know how to explain it to you other way), but there is a easy way as I mentioned.

So to be clear:

If you use the patch for Fullscreen/CarPlay you will no longer be able to code Headunit/NBTEVO/IDRIVE unless you:
1. Recode it with E-SYS
2. Restore it to OEM using the same way as activation (2 minutes) then apply again
3. Just code things you want before then apply as there is no much really interesting stuff in iDrive/HEADUNIT/NBTEVO to code.

If it's done by me ask me to code stuff you need, I'm always willing to help to every customer, because what matters is satisfaction.

Thanks
Thank you, Kubax-- that helps a lot.

I'll have to research what's codable on the head unit. Your explanation was a lot clearer to me.

I'm analog in a digital world, so I know just enough to get by.

R.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:38 AM   #1414
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, Kubax-- that helps a lot.

I'll have to research what's codable on the head unit. Your explanation was a lot clearer to me.

I'm analog in a digital world, so I know just enough to get by.

R.
No worries, if you have any questions related this, feel free to ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #1415
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
hi all - I used this site to check if I have a wifi antenna:
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/compatib...ay-activation/

Can anyone confirm if this site and link is accurate in determining whether my car has a wifi antenna? It states for my car "You car is equipped with the original CarPlay hardware from BMW, including a WiFi antenna."

Strange thing is when I looked up my vin on mdecoder.com, under the multimedia section I see that I don't have the CarPlay preparation (6CP) option. So from the mdecoder site results, does this mean I don't have a wifi antenna in my car (contrary to what the above bimmer-tech link says)?
Thanks very much kubax86 - CarPlay is working great so far. Much better connectivity of Spotify on carplay compared to idrive for me!

As many have already pointed out - definitely recommend the services of kubax86!
Appreciate 1
kubax861779.50
      11-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #1416
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Quote:

Can anyone confirm if this site and link is accurate in determining whether my car has a wifi antenna? It states for my car "You car is equipped with the original CarPlay hardware from BMW, including a WiFi antenna."

Strange thing is when I looked up my vin on mdecoder.com, under the multimedia section I see that I don't have the CarPlay preparation (6CP) option. So from the mdecoder site results, does this mean I don't have a wifi antenna in my car (contrary to what the above bimmer-tech link says)?
Thanks very much kubax86 - CarPlay is working great so far. Much better connectivity of Spotify on carplay compared to idrive for me!

As many have already pointed out - definitely recommend the services of kubax86!
Yep. Totally worth it. And my wife likes that she can watch a movie on our drives up to the hill country on the weekends!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #1417
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yep. Totally worth it. And my wife likes that she can watch a movie on our drives up to the hill country on the weekends!
Haven't tried the video in motion function yet.

Do you know if both mp4 and mkv file can be played off USB?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 12:43 AM   #1418
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

I have only tested it with DVDs so far. So, I don't know.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #1419
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Haven't tried the video in motion function yet.

Do you know if both mp4 and mkv file can be played off USB?
Yes, both work.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #1420
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I have 2017 m2 purchased without Carplay. At the time it was $300 option. I know they made Carplay free recently. How do I go about activating Carplay on my car without having to pay a fee/subscription?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #1421
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I have 2017 m2 purchased without Carplay. At the time it was $300 option. I know they made Carplay free recently. How do I go about activating Carplay on my car without having to pay a fee/subscription?
From my knowledge free option is not possible on cars that didn't come with Free CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #1422
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
From my knowledge free option is not possible on cars that didn't come with Free CarPlay.
So I have to pay $300 to activate it still? or can I never get it?

Is it possible to just code it on?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #1423
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So I have to pay $300 to activate it still? or can I never get it?

Is it possible to just code it on?
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #1424
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
You gotta read the fine-print...it was like 2019/2020 cars only

They didn't give away free to everyone - which is utterly ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #1425
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Laggy infotainment w/ Apple car play connected

Anyone having lag issues in the infotainment with the wireless Apple car play connected?

Some examples:
1. If you shift from reverse to 1st, the backup camera stays on for a bit
2. Sometimes Apple car play will connect, sometimes it won't
3. Delay in car play connecting
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #1426
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

1) Yes, but if you hit the reverse sensor button it will turn off immediately.
2) Yes, it is quite annoying when it won't connect. Easiest way for me to reconnect is to go into phone settings, and turn off carplay, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on. It reconnects 99% of the time for me when I do this.
3) Yes, and I don't get it either. Sometimes it takes a LONG time, and other times it connects very quickly. You have me wondering if it is bc your bluetooth is connected to something else when you get in the car? Something to test I suppose.

All in all, I am over the quirks but do wish it was a bit more consistent. Just happy to have it in the car really.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #1427
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Biggest thing with wireless carplay connectivity issues is to NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE when you first turn the car on. If you interact with your phone while you turn your car on, it interrupts the carplay communication process. Wait until carplay is fully connected, then you can unlock your phone or do anything on it (hopefully this is not while you are driving of course).
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      12-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #1428
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Biggest thing with wireless carplay connectivity issues is to NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE when you first turn the car on. If you interact with your phone while you turn your car on, it interrupts the carplay communication process. Wait until carplay is fully connected, then you can unlock your phone or do anything on it (hopefully this is not while you are driving of course).
I'll try this out.

Wish it had an option for USB hard wire Apple car play.

Is the lag also present in the DCT ?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #1429
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

The camera stays on in first gear until you hit 5 mph I believe. I used to take it slow exiting my parking garage, and i'd sometimes get to the next floor with the camera still on. I'm 99 percent sure this is by design so that if you're doing multiple point turns, the camera doesn't have to turn on and off again. There is about a half a second lag between when the car is shifted into reverse and when the camera actually shows up on screen (at least in a 6MT car.) I honestly find it pretty helpful since I frequently have to maneuver my car in tight spots.

Apple carplay is generally laggy with wireless systems. I also find it annoying, but it's not something i can't live with. I've had it fail to connect 2 or 3 times in my year+ of ownership. Obnoxious, but not a deal breaker.
Appreciate 2
Sublime001136.00
      12-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #1430
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
I'll try this out.

Wish it had an option for USB hard wire Apple car play.

Is the lag also present in the DCT ?
There is nothing stopping you from plugging in your phone over USB to use CarPlay...
Appreciate 0