BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 Stage 2+ E30 octane maps for N55-M2 are now available!

Closed Thread

10-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #67
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Here's another log: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f99...0b430319a475d2

No changes except a fresh tank of half E85/93, change from aFe drop in filter back to OE paper (oil analysis showed too much dirt with the aFe), and 3.5bar TMAP installed.

You can see I'm hitting 21.6psi at the beginning of the pulls, so I put in the 3.5bar TMAP and it resolved a few sputters I'd get when I would get close to the max of our OEM TMAP.

Thanks to Daleb for the heads up on the TMAP. I also did my bi-annual OBD emissions scan before the swap bc the car won’t read ready if you have a non-OE TMAP installed.

Overall, this thing rips! It's working my Dinan turbo hard, and maintaining 20-20.5psi psi to redline. Loving it!

Last edited by ZM2; 10-28-2020 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      10-28-2020, 01:36 PM   #68
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post

No changes except a fresh tank of half E85/93, change from aFe drop in filter back to OE paper (oil analysis showed too much dirt with the aFe), and 3.5bar TMAP installed.

You can see I'm hitting 21.6psi at the beginning of the pulls, so I put in the 3.5bar TMAP and it resolved a few sputters I'd get when I would get close to the max of our OEM TMAP.

Overall, this thing rips! It's working my Dinan turbo hard, and maintaining 20-20.5psi psi to redline. Loving it!
I wonder how dirt got in your oil. Only thing I can think of is it getting past the piston rings. Not sure how likely that is though. Or maybe it can get in from the turbo oil feed?

But yea, air filter dirt is CRAZY! I washed my Eventuri filter the other day. (I have two and swap between cold/warm seasons. Easier for me to have 2 so my car isn't incapacitated while I wait for the filter to dry.)

Anyway, there wasn't really any dirt on the inside of the filter, but the outside POURED out dirt when I hosed it from the inside. More dirt came out that filter than my wash bucket after not washing my car for an entire month. And that filter was in the car for less than 7 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #69
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I wonder how dirt got in your oil. Only thing I can think of is it getting past the piston rings. Not sure how likely that is though. Or maybe it can get in from the turbo oil feed?

But yea, air filter dirt is CRAZY! I washed my Eventuri filter the other day. (I have two and swap between cold/warm seasons. Easier for me to have 2 so my car isn't incapacitated while I wait for the filter to dry.)

Anyway, there wasn't really any dirt on the inside of the filter, but the outside POURED out dirt when I hosed it from the inside. More dirt came out that filter than my wash bucket after not washing my car for an entire month. And that filter was in the car for less than 7 months.
Well, this brings up another timely thread if you're going to run a high ethanol/high boost tune and spend a lot of time at WOT like I do. I'm also guessing this is how the dirt was making it into the oil: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1749349

I don't want to turn this into another oil thread, so if you guys have thoughts please post in the thread I linked to above.

Either way, dirt going passed the intake air filter = BAD, so back to OE paper for me.

Last edited by ZM2; 10-28-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #70
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Thanks to Daleb for the heads up on the TMAP. I also did my bi-annual OBD emissions scan before the swap bc the car won’t read ready if you have a non-OE TMAP installed.

Log looks good 😎

Glad the tmap has resolved the splutters. I’ve been running the racegas+ map over the last week, it targets a little more boost at 21.2 psi so having the 3.5 tmap there is better imo.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f983747d10b43028e1f9ed9

Cylinder 4 seems to be the usual plug that drops timing For me so think it’s time I change the plugs out. No 100-200 times yet but it will be interesting to see if it’s quicker than the e30+ map.

Interesting regarding the filter, I’ve been meaning to check mine out!
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      10-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #71
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Who would have thought we would be targeting over 21psi on the stock turbo with race gas?

Your decat is helping a ton, but still that’s crazy!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #72
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
Quote:

Log looks good

Glad the tmap has resolved the splutters. I’ve been running the racegas+ map over the last week, it targets a little more boost at 21.2 psi so having the 3.5 tmap there is better imo.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f983747d10b43028e1f9ed9

Cylinder 4 seems to be the usual plug that drops timing For me so think it’s time I change the plugs out. No 100-200 times yet but it will be interesting to see if it’s quicker than the e30+ map.

Interesting regarding the filter, I’ve been meaning to check mine out!
Are you stock turbo? Your wastegate duty seems low compared to the regular n55 ewg.

What fuel are you using?
      10-29-2020, 03:38 AM   #73
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who would have thought we would be targeting over 21psi on the stock turbo with race gas?

Your decat is helping a ton, but still that’s crazy!
Some still might not believe it 😉.

Having a decat and turbo inlet definitely helps things out a lot!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:45 AM   #74
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Are you stock turbo? Your wastegate duty seems low compared to the regular n55 ewg.

What fuel are you using?
Yeah stock M2 turbo, as above the decat and pure turbo inlet definitely help things breath. I believe it was Pure that found the turbofold was different to the regular n55 ewg giving it that little extra head room.

Using pump 99ron plus NF octane booster. FYI I used to run the regular racegas map on my pump fuel And it ran clean logs.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #75
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Finally had some cooler weather here and got a couple more logs. Compared to Stg 2 93 & Stg 2 E30, the car is a damn rocket ship with Stg 2+ E30!

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fa0...0b432df9816bf3
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fa0...90c6740c921821

Our roads around here are crap to get 100-200 times, but I threw the Draggy on the dash real fast when I saw a stretch of road and ripped an 8.0 without trying (full tank of gas, crap all in the car, not paying attention to shifts, big 285/35/19s in the back!).

Will try to get a better 100-200 run, and get back on the rollers soon!
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      11-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #76
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Finally had some cooler weather here and got a couple more logs. Compared to Stg 2 93 & Stg 2 E30, the car is a damn rocket ship with Stg 2+ E30!

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fa0...0b432df9816bf3
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fa0...90c6740c921821

Our roads around here are crap to get 100-200 times, but I threw the Draggy on the dash real fast when I saw a stretch of road and ripped an 8.0 without trying (full tank of gas, crap all in the car, not paying attention to shifts, big 285/35/19s in the back!).

Will try to get a better 100-200 run, and get back on the rollers soon!
Your logs show zero power increase between the two, and 25hp increase from 93Oct.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 11-02-2020 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #77
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Your logs show zero power increase between the two, and 20hp increase from 93Oct.
They’re back logs from today and both are even labeled Stg 2+.

Plus, we’ve already learned your impressive internet hp deciphering & dyno comparing skills. Please plot and post those curves in your head so we can all marvel at these abilities.

Plus, there’s no way to figure that out from logs that are done on different days & weather, different cars, and different road elevation change.

In the meantime, I’ll go spend some of my own cash getting real curves so everyone can see what’s actually happening.

Thanks for playing, tho.

Last edited by ZM2; 11-02-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #78
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
They’re back logs from today and both are even labeled Stg 2+.

Plus, we’ve already learned your impressive internet hp deciphering & dyno comparing skills. Please plot and post those curves in your head so we can all marvel at these abilities.

Plus, there’s no way to figure that out from logs that are done on different days & weather, different cars, and different road elevation change.

In the meantime, I’ll go spend some of my own cash getting real curves so everyone can see what’s actually happening.

Thanks for playing, tho.
You pull the same stuff Poochie pulled. And he was wrong as well and caused a guys car wiring to melt and be denied a warranty claim.

You 100% can compare power between logs by looking at the MAF lb/min. Anyone is free to look at your logs and calculate the MAF lb/min, fuel pressure, boost, and timing and google how and why that's possible to read power. It's quite far off then the claims you've been making on here of 50-75hp increase over the 93Oct tune.

Looking more and more each day like you get kickbacks for promoting tunes.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 11-02-2020 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #79
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You pull the same stuff Poochie pulled. And he was wrong as well and caused a guys car wiring to melt and be denied a warranty claim.

You 100% can compare power between logs by looking at the MAF lb/min. Anyone is free to look at your logs and calculate the MAF lb/min, fuel pressure, boost, and timing and google how and why that's possible to read power. It's quite far off then the claims you've been making on here of 50-75hp increase over the 93Oct tune.

Seriously, throw those calculations up, we're all curious. Our MAF maxes out at 43.4-lb/min, so that doesn't work. We can't even use VD b/c all my logs are different days and different stretches of hilly road around here, and you're sitting back trying to compare them to some other random Stg 2 93 log--that doesn't work either. AmuroRay thejeremyman9 want to help us out on this?

Also, could someone please point me to the post where I said this tune makes 50-75hp more than Stg 2 93?

Kickbacks, now that would be nice! I bought my license and map pack just like everyone else. I haven't received anything from anyone thru this whole process.

All of my "kickbacks" were spending hours on logs and hundreds of dollars on gas & dyno sessions b/c I had a genuine interest in attempting this path for my car, and was lucky enough that Halim also saw the benefit and we starting working on this back in May.

I got feedback and help along the way from SeanWRT nothingman F87source Dec540 Daleb and others by peer reviewing beta logs (thanks guys!), and then I put out an announcement asking folks who else would like to give the beta maps a shot to help the community and drive this to an OTS and got interest from JKen_0115 6speed_M2 5w20 seanyx11 and others with 5w20 recently giving it a go in his car.

And, I've already stated that I'm going to update my dyno curves in a few weeks (and will dyno Stock, Stg 2 93, Stg 2 E30, Stg 2 E30+) so we can all see the peak and under the curve differences b/n the maps. So yeah, I'm clearly going thru all this and sharing my experiences, logs, and coming dyno runs from actually putting in effort and attempting something (all while having to listen to some pretty poor armchair quarterbacking) just for myself, and to not help anyone here.

Last edited by ZM2; 11-02-2020 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
F87source7177.50
Dec540135.50
      11-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #80
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, throw those calculations up, we're all curious. Our MAF maxes out at 43.4-lb/min, so that doesn't work. We can't even use VD b/c all my logs are different days and different stretches of hilly road around here, and you're sitting back trying to compare them to some other random Stg 2 93 log--that doesn't work either. AmuroRay thejeremyman9 want to help us out on this?

Also, could someone please point me to the post where I said this tune makes 50-75hp more than Stg 2 93?

Kickbacks, now that would be nice! I bought my license and map pack just like everyone else. I haven't received anything from anyone thru this whole process.

All of my "kickbacks" were spending hours on logs and hundreds of dollars on gas & dyno sessions b/c I had a genuine interest in attempting this path for my car, and was lucky enough that Halim also saw the benefit and we starting working on this back in May.

I got feedback and help along the way from SeanWRT nothingman F87source Dec540 Daleb and others by peer reviewing beta logs (thanks guys!), and then I put out an announcement asking folks who else would like to give the beta maps a shot to help the community and drive this to an OTS and got interest from JKen_0115 6speed_M2 5w20 seanyx11 and others with 5w20 recently giving it a go in his car.

So yeah, I'm all in this for myself.
Well then your claim is garbage if you yourself are now saying the evidence you posted can't validate it. And I'm sorry, but it's completely laughable that you think 40-60hp difference are due to weather conditions and different roads. Our cars do not fluctuate like that, and there is something wrong if they do. Besides, you'd be able to tell all of that through IATs and timing, which isn't contentious in your logs.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #81
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well then your claim is garbage if you yourself are now saying the evidence you posted can't validate it. And I'm sorry, but it's completely laughable that you think 40-60hp difference are due to weather conditions and different roads. Our cars do not fluctuate like that, and there is something wrong if they do. Besides, you'd be able to tell all of that through IATs and timing, which isn't contentious in your logs.
Dude, I've already said I have dyno plots on the beta maps showing 50whp gain over Stg 2 E30. Some of the guys I've mentioned can validate that. I'm not going to post beta curves, I will wait until I get updated curves on the OTS map.

"And I'm sorry, but it's completely laughable that you think 40-60hp difference are due to weather conditions and different roads. Our cars do not fluctuate like that, and there is something wrong if they do. Besides, you'd be able to tell all of that through IATs and timing, which isn't contentious in your logs" Again, where does this rambling come from? It's as dumb as your 50-75hp comment.

You've provided exactly nothing to this effort. No data, no curves, no dyno's, no timed runs, no valid analysis, nothing. Just tons of comments that make no sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #82
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Dude, I've already said I have dyno plots on the beta maps showing 50whp gain over Stg 2 E30. Some of the guys I've mentioned can validate that. I'm not going to post beta curves, I will wait until I get updated curves on the OTS map.

"And I'm sorry, but it's completely laughable that you think 40-60hp difference are due to weather conditions and different roads. Our cars do not fluctuate like that, and there is something wrong if they do. Besides, you'd be able to tell all of that through IATs and timing, which isn't contentious in your logs" Again, where does this rambling come from? It's as dumb as your 50-75hp comment.

You've provided exactly nothing to this effort. No data, no curves, no dyno's, no timed runs, no valid analysis, nothing. Just tons of comments that make no sense.
The post your dyno plots, because your claims do not match your data logs.

Here is literally every single post of yours that has been invalidated by your data logs.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=28

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=28

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=50

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=50

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=46
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #83
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The post your dyno plots, because your claims do not match your data logs.

Here is literally every single post of yours that has been invalidated by your data logs.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=28 -- What are you talking about? I don't have this setup. This was proven in the very first post by Halim.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=28 -- This is exactly what I've been saying and what my beta map curves show. Now that the OTS is out, curves will get updated and overlaid with the other OTS maps--already said this too.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=50 -- Yeah, that's what it's looking like, if anything maybe a little conservative based on some of the recent stock turbo data/times. Those guys will confirm with dyno's soon.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=50 -- See previous comment.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=46 -- Uh huh, see second comment response. Nothing's changed.
Anyone else feel like I'm talking to a crazy person that still isn't contributing anything to this thread?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #84
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Anyone else feel like I'm talking to a crazy person that still isn't contributing anything to this thread?
Ad hominem rallying is not an argument. Substantiate your claims or stop posting misleading comments.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #85
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

11-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #86
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

You can absolutely compare a single parameter on one log to another, but you're not calculating engine hp off that alone.

I'm not sure how you're eyeballing HP figures from a log, but it's not something I've ever been able to do.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 11-02-2020 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: I have no idea what's going on
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #87
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
You can absolutely compare a single parameter on one log to another, but you're not calculating engine hp off that alone.

I'm not sure how you're eyeballing HP figures from a log, but it's not something I've ever been able to do.
That's what I've been telling him, but he continually claims that you cannot compare different cars with the same setups if they were on different roads.

And I never claimed I am calculating engine horsepower by a single parameter, though it's certainly possible to estimate that. I, in fact, specifically mentioned multiple parameters that I am taking into account and comparing between tunes. boost pressure, fuel pressure, IAT, MAF lb/min, and timing. You can definitely look at those numbers and go "Hmm, these numbers aren't that much different than the 93 tune, so I really doubt he's making 20% more power" And when you relate all of that to the tons of M2 93 dyno graphs available, you can guess with fair certainly the power he is making.

I guarantee his car is making 420-430hp (probably closer to 420 or less) and that is certainly not the 50hp over the e30 tune he claims, nor is it 75hp over the 93 tune. If anyone actually believes his car is making over 500hp, after seeing those logs, they're nuts.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 11-02-2020 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #88
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Already have curves higher than that.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread