BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Am I the only one who likes the original M2 more than the M2C ?

09-07-2020, 02:42 AM   #155
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

As an original M2 owner I spent a lot of time convincing myself it was the better car... then I got myself an M2C! They are both fantastic cars. For me the M2C is better in almost every way though. The biggest let down is the sound and added weight. But, the trade off is a more tune-friendly car, better suited for track and has a bunch of options that just make overall package better (as it should have been from factory) - better brakes, seats, mirrors, M buttons etc. I figured I would end up spending a ton on upgrade the OG M2 to improve it's track functionality - cooling, engine mods etc that I may as well take the plunge on an M2C.

The OG M2 is a fantastic car and it's hard to justify the price uplift... but I want to keep my M2 for as long as possible and figured if that were the case I may as well do it in the 'upgraded' variant.

If you have an OG M2 however, it's still an amazing car and it sounds glorious (better with an aftermarket exhaust).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #156
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Everyone loves the way my car sounds after I did the AA midpipe. I actually get that compliment all the time.

I can’t even see the udder anymore after paint.

OG sounds cool but I remember being super dissatisfied with the interior and under 400hp from when the pictures and specs were released.

I still flash at every M2 I see, comp or not.
Both cool cars
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16075.50
      09-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #157
DC2RtoCT9Atof87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I've driven both. I own the OG.

M2C is just a better car and it doesn't sound THAT bad.

Had I been presented both, M2C hands down. Do I enjoy my OG? Yup, without a doubt. Would I sell it to upgrade to an M2C? Absolutely not. Would I sell it to get an M2CS? Yup, without a doubt.

I'll just wait for the G80 M3 CS pig nose, center quad exhaust to come out.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #158
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
It has been a hard decision for me, I have really enjoyed all 38kmi I have put on the 2017 MG 6sp. I had convinced myself over the last year that a switch didn't make sense because there is not that much of a difference but Thursday I am trading for a 2021 M2C HS 6sp. The deal is quite good and with a restart on the warranty and maintenance plan it makes sense.

The closed deck engine of the S55 is a factor in long term reliability in my opinion. The seats and bigger brakes are a plus. If the exhaust bothers me, there is aways Remus. And my Dinan front sway bar will fit the new car.

I hope it makes sense from the seat of the pants which is the real reason we buy these cars.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie93.00
      09-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #159
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndvs View Post
It has been a hard decision for me, I have really enjoyed all 38kmi I have put on the 2017 MG 6sp. I had convinced myself over the last year that a switch didn't make sense because there is not that much of a difference but Thursday I am trading for a 2021 M2C HS 6sp. The deal is quite good and with a restart on the warranty and maintenance plan it makes sense.

The closed deck engine of the S55 is a factor in long term reliability in my opinion. The seats and bigger brakes are a plus. If the exhaust bothers me, there is aways Remus. And my Dinan front sway bar will fit the new car.

I hope it makes sense from the seat of the pants which is the real reason we buy these cars.
I'm in a similar dilemma but unsure if I should commit myself to the last year of the M2C (5 years) with the G87 suppose to come out 2023 (in 2.3 years).
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #160
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I'm in a similar dilemma but unsure if I should commit myself to the last year of the M2C (5 years) with the G87 suppose to come out 2023 (in 2.3 years).
I picked the M2C HS MT up today. I drove 100 miles to get home and then out to dinner tonight. I have no regrets and glad I made the switch and I was seriously on the fence. The pops and gurgles are still there and better. I got really good at it with my 17. The shifting is smoother, the seats are an improvement. The M1 and M2 buttons are installed!! The HS color is unique and changes with lighting conditions, very cool color. The mirrors are a plus. The brakes are sensitive and big. I will respect the 5500 rpm break in period and then I will test them out on a remote highway in a few weeks. Yes the G87 is coming out which means you can get a good deal on a great 2021 M2C if you choose to.
Appreciate 1
Nicname351.00
      09-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #161
///Mmm gas
Newbie 🤷🏼*♀️
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have not had the pleasure of driving a comp but I LOVE my 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
IMO the first gen 2016-2018 M2 were much better:

Styling was better, engine sounded better and although less powerful it delivered power better.

The new M2 Competition sort of ruined a few things, namly the styling: small things that make such a big difference.

The kidney griles are over sized and fused together, looks terrible, the fins on the left and right intakes on the bumper are more angular and edgy which looks like the car is catering to 10 year olds.

And what are those three slits at the bottom of the bumper? Looks too busy. Engine is "more powerful" but it delivered power slowly and it sounds not as good.

Wish they still made the old style, I would buy it new if it was available.

In general the new BMWs are looking worse and worse, X7 is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #162
bummie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Could someone please explain what OG means? I am old and have been a BMW fan since 1971 when I bought my first BMW, a 1971 2002. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #163
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bummie View Post
Could someone please explain what OG means? I am old and have been a BMW fan since 1971 when I bought my first BMW, a 1971 2002. Thanks
OG = Original

I am old also. My first BMW was a red 1971 2002 also that I bought new.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #164
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
OG = Original Gangster, as in the N55 '16/'17/'18 cars.
Appreciate 4
Moflow2484.50
M2Pilot278.50
AndrewC198910910.50
      09-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #165
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
My eyes can't believe what i've seen on this thread.. how can you even say the 1M and the OG M2 aren't M cars? To everyone having the OG M2 , seriously now - be proud having one of the best M cars EVER made! The Competition is the evolution of the OG . Of course its better than the OG , the same way the CS is better than the Competition. Thats evolution , and of course the G87 will be faster than the F87 ..

Be serious guys , don't try to justify your purchase to anyone. Don't be salty.

The forums are here for expressing our opinions and share our love and passion for cars , not deviding our community with each model variant !
Attached Images

Moflow2484.50
kvndvs59.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      09-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #166
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
OG = Original

I am old also. My first BMW was a red 1971 2002 also that I bought new.
I'm old too but Geez
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #167
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I can't see anyone picking one over the other based on looks. If either style were the only one available, everyone here would still own one.

The engines are distinct. N55 responds more immediately down low, S55 takes it everywhere else. N55 sounds better - which is not a small thing. That said, I would argue that no OG N55 owner would have rejected car at time of purchase if it came with the S55 - and it is likely that the S55 brought some to the car who otherwise would not have purchased simply based on true M engine. OG M3 is a true M car, period! But it's engine is not an M engine that is limited to M cars. Good info here on differences between N55 & S55 https://bmwtuning.co/s55-vs-s58/

The OG wins on weight and balance. As someone shopping these cars, I would love to hear more about the difference in driving dynamics between the two. This, to me, carries the possibility of being a difference maker. In addition to the heavier engine, the M2C has more unsprung weight due to wheels and brakes (this, of course, could be changed - but $$)

I'm also interested to learn more about differences in suspension compliance. I have not yet had opportunity to test drive an OG, but have read plenty about harsh suspension. I HAVE had opportunity to test drive a M2C and my own view was that the suspension was firm - but not harsh. I actually thought it was a touch more compliant that the passive suspension on my F80. Did BMW adjust M2c suspension tuning versus OG? It makes sense that they would given the extra weight on front end.

Lastly, a lot of forum members are of the opinion that the M2s suspension is not sufficiently planted at speed and/or corner exit. Is there a difference between the two cars? Could be a difference maker if one needs an aftermarket suspension and the other doesn't.

BTW - great cars!

Last edited by scoale; 10-18-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #168
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
I can't see anyone picking one over the other based on looks. If either style were the only one available, everyone here would still own one.

The engines are distinct. N55 responds more immediately down low, S55 takes it everywhere else. N55 sounds better - which is not a small thing. That said, I would argue that no OG N55 owner would have rejected car at time of purchase if it came with the S55 - and it is likely that the S55 brought some to the car who otherwise would not have purchased simply based on true M engine. OG M3 is a true M car, period! But it's engine is not an M engine that is limited to M cars. Good info here on differences between N55 & S55 https://bmwtuning.co/s55-vs-s58/

The OG wins on weight and balance. As someone shopping these cars, I would love to hear more about the difference in driving dynamics between the two. This, to me, carries the possibility of being a difference maker. In addition to the heavier engine, the M2C has more unsprung weight due to wheels and brakes (this, of course, could be changed - but $$)

I'm also interested to learn more about differences in suspension compliance. I have not yet had opportunity to test drive an OG, but have read plenty about harsh suspension. I HAVE had opportunity to test drive a M2C and my own view was that the suspension was firm - but not harsh. I actually thought it was a touch more compliant that the passive suspension on my F80. Did BMW adjust M2c suspension tuning versus OG? It makes sense that they would given the extra weight on front end.

Lastly, a lot of forum members are of the opinion that the M2s suspension is not sufficiently planted at speed and/or corner exit. Is there a difference between the two cars? Could be a difference maker if one needs an aftermarket suspension and the other doesn't.

BTW - great cars!
The suspension is the same part numbers on the M2 and the M2C. Ie. there is no difference.
      10-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #169
Hoverdog
It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 Black Shadow

A slightly different perspective

I bought the LCI over the M2C for a few reasons:

1. I keep my cars a long time and do most of my own after-warranty maintenance. Reliability is foremost for me, and the simplicity of a single turbo and an air-to-air intercooler appeals in that regard.
2. Smaller diameter disks allow 18" wheels, which are cheaper and more plentiful for track and winter wheel options. 18" wheels also offer more choice of tires and they tend to be cheaper too.
3. Lighter weight, especially in the front end. Those who say the M2C feels more planted, I think it's due to the higher weight causing the suspension to settle down. I notice this effect when I have an adult passenger in the car. I'll take the lighter weight.

Add to that the better sound, looks (for me), and lower price, and it was a no brainer.

I do agree that the M2C offers greater tuning and cooling capability for track use, but I don't track enough to matter.

Great cars either way. I'm perfectly willing to go for a C or CS if my OG gets totaled. With hybrids/battery cars taking over, I think this is the last generation of RWD, front engined, stick shift, well-handling, gasoline powered cars, and I'll stay in the M2 family for as long as I can.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #170
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post

BTW - great cars!
The suspension is the same part numbers on the M2 and the M2C. Ie. there is no difference.
I think the consensus at this point is the m2c handling is noticably better because of the strut bracing up front.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #171
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
I bought the LCI over the M2C for a few reasons:

1. I keep my cars a long time and do most of my own after-warranty maintenance. Reliability is foremost for me, and the simplicity of a single turbo and an air-to-air intercooler appeals in that regard.
2. Smaller diameter disks allow 18" wheels, which are cheaper and more plentiful for track and winter wheel options. 18" wheels also offer more choice of tires and they tend to be cheaper too.
3. Lighter weight, especially in the front end. Those who say the M2C feels more planted, I think it's due to the higher weight causing the suspension to settle down. I notice this effect when I have an adult passenger in the car. I'll take the lighter weight.

Add to that the better sound, looks (for me), and lower price, and it was a no brainer.

I do agree that the M2C offers greater tuning and cooling capability for track use, but I don't track enough to matter.

Great cars either way. I'm perfectly willing to go for a C or CS if my OG gets totaled. With hybrids/battery cars taking over, I think this is the last generation of RWD, front engined, stick shift, well-handling, gasoline powered cars, and I'll stay in the M2 family for as long as I can.
next gen m2 is confirmed to be rwd, MT, and I believe s58 engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #172
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
next gen m2 is confirmed to be rwd, MT, and I believe s58 engine.
I don’t think we know what the engine will be on the next M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #173
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
For all those who complained that the OG M2 didn’t have M mirrors, have you seen the pictures of the new G80 M3? The new M3 doesn’t have the old style M mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #174
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
For all those who complained that the OG M2 didn’t have M mirrors, have you seen the pictures of the new G80 M3? The new M3 doesn’t have the old style M mirrors.
Slightly different shape, but they still have the wing piece which distinguishes the M mirrors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:03 AM   #175
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
OG = Original

OG actually means: Original Gangster

So befitting

10-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #176
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Wow, over two years after Competition launch and the M2 vs M2 Competition battle still going strong smh

Wonder how many owned both, and drove them hard to be able to truly compare and not just be biased because they owned one or the other..