BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > How long does it take to do brake fluid flush service?

09-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
XProject
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Angry How long does it take to do brake fluid flush service?

I went in to do maintenance due to brake fluid service light on.
I reviewed the dash cam front/rear, and the mechanic only filled in windshield washer fluid. The whole process only took him 30 mins to check the engine bay with a flashlight to check some oil leaks that mentioned when I dropped it off. He didn't flush out the brake fluid like he was supposed to. I did not see the refill of the fluid at the left corner of the engine bay. The advisor told me he lifted the car but I did not see it in the video.

The only reason I reviewed the footage was because they did not even wash my dirty car after the service.

So, my question is how long do you think tech will take to do brake fluid service?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Less than an hour for a good tech. They could have flushed/filled it from the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Less than an hour for a good tech. They could have flushed/filled it from the bottom.
I never saw the video of them lifted my car. I'm missing 30 mins of the footage due to no moving object in the front. Do you think tech can get it done in that time period?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XProject View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I never saw the video of them lifted my car. I'm missing 30 mins of the footage due to no moving object in the front. Do you think tech can get it done in that time period?
Maybe, it's doable within 30 minutes. Most places quote an hour labor from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I'm surprised your dash cam was running, lots of threads on bimmerpost (and other car sites) that dealers routinely turn off/disconnect/unplug dash cams.

I suppose once the car was lifted, brake fluid could be done in 30 minutes. If nothing is moving in front of car, but the car was rising/lowering, would the dash cam treat that as moving and record?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I'm surprised your dash cam was running, lots of threads on bimmerpost (and other car sites) that dealers routinely turn off/disconnect/unplug dash cams.

I suppose once the car was lifted, brake fluid could be done in 30 minutes. If nothing is moving in front of car, but the car was rising/lowering, would the dash cam treat that as moving and record?
They did unplug my dash cam on the last trip. I don't have any footages of rising/lowering. I might be thinking too much...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

I can do a full brake fluid flush in about 20 mins once the car is in the air. I use a pressure bleeder, which is what they would use too.

If you really want to know you could take the cap off and look inside. Brand new brake fluid is very translucent with a tinge of yellow. If it is golden and slightly more opaque it is most likely your old fluid.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
I can do a full brake fluid flush in about 20 mins once the car is in the air. I use a pressure bleeder, which is what they would use too.

If you really want to know you could take the cap off and look inside. Brand new brake fluid is very translucent with a tinge of yellow. If it is golden and slightly more opaque it is most likely your old fluid.
Don't you have to do some procedure to evacuate the fluid from the ABS system?

This would add to the time it takes, but also add old colored fluid to his new fluid if it wasn't done.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Time to find a new dealership.

I have one less than two miles from my home. I've had so many poor experiences there that I now drive 20 min out of the way to the next closest one.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:

I have used a pressure bleeder for my previous car. It still required for the tech to attach it from the reservoir which locates the front left of the car or front right if you are standing in front of the car. I did not see any of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

Don't you have to do some procedure to evacuate the fluid from the ABS system?

This would add to the time it takes, but also add old colored fluid to his new fluid if it wasn't done.
This would only be necessary if air was able to enter the abs module if the reservoir went dry. I don't think an abs purge would be part of their normal procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XProject View Post
Quote:

I have used a pressure bleeder for my previous car. It still required for the tech to attach it from the reservoir which locates the front left of the car or front right if you are standing in front of the car. I did not see any of that.
Yep, definitely weird then if you have all the time account for on your camera.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0