BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Disappointed in Autotecknic Canards - other options?

11-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Disappointed in Autotecknic Canards - other options?

I just received my Autotecknic front bumper canards and I'm less than pleased with them (I'll post pictures this evening when I am back home).

First, only the top side is finished carbon fiber, the underside is unfinished and one of them has a "7" in marker on it. While I realize that only the top side will be visible from most angles, it seems unnecessarily cheap to skimp on that.

Second, the canards are not completely symmetrical. The angles and lengths are subtly different which is obvious when they are held together. Maybe this won't be noticeable when they are mounted several feet apart on the bumper, but I am overall displeased with the product.

Does anyone have prior experience with this product? Did I receive a faulty batch or is this normal?

I expect that I will return these and look for other canards, does anyone know of some reasonably priced items? I know EAS also sells the 3D design canards, but those are unreasonably expensive at 800 dollars, and the mounting location looks like it will conflict with my TRE front lip. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Appreciate 2
Acetech218.50
      11-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
TheJellyo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
I just received my Autotecknic front bumper canards and I'm less than pleased with them (I'll post pictures this evening when I am back home).

First, only the top side is finished carbon fiber, the underside is unfinished and one of them has a "7" in marker on it. While I realize that only the top side will be visible from most angles, it seems unnecessarily cheap to skimp on that.

Second, the canards are not completely symmetrical. The angles and lengths are subtly different which is obvious when they are held together. Maybe this won't be noticeable when they are mounted several feet apart on the bumper, but I am overall displeased with the product.

Does anyone have prior experience with this product? Did I receive a faulty batch or is this normal?

I expect that I will return these and look for other canards, does anyone know of some reasonably priced items? I know EAS also sells the 3D design canards, but those are unreasonably expensive at 800 dollars, and the mounting location looks like it will conflict with my TRE front lip. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Get something custom made, should be cheaper and you can make it to your likings. I'm going this route myself
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:59 AM   #3
GeraldM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) LBB 6MT

Quote:

I've got some PSM dynamic canards up for sale if you're interested! They were second hand so they're not in the best condition but its impossible to see the wear unless you're underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #4
Steveng01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 120i

I’ve bought the same autotecknic canards. The underside finish is rough but the fitment is quite good for the price.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 08:27 AM   #5
Sungillest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2 ZL9 |Macan 2.9TT

Quote:

Any pics? Also are there AutoTecknic 3m double sided tape to hold that canard?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:46 PM   #6
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I can't find any in my camera roll. Thankfully EAS took them back and issued me a refund when I pointed out the issues with the product.

They were pretty terrible though, the curve was obviously asymmetrical when held next to one another and the overall length was different between the pieces. I didn't even mock them up, but it looked like it would be obvious even when mounted. That being said, if they were identical I still wouldn't have been happy with the unfinished portion on the bottom, but I understand that is somewhat standard on cheaper canards.

They did come with doublesided tape on the canard if I recall correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 01:47 PM   #7
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Canards are tacky by itself imo unless you have functional areo package on the car.
      03-14-2023, 03:27 PM   #8
atomsapple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 X3M40i, 765RS

Garage List
I had to stop buying their parts after numerous issues. I had to dremel one part to make fit since they somehow added extra tabs.
They also sent the wrong model paddle shifters yet made me pay return shipping.

If they make them, I would go with IND.
Appreciate 0