BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Missed my M2 CSR had a M2 CS. Why not make a Hybrid?

08-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #1
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Missed my M2 CSR had a M2 CS. Why not make a Hybrid?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
After selling the m2 CSR I decided to make a hybrid street / track M2 CS. Not great at either track or street but as good as a hybrid as I could design.

First up the seat / brackets setup.

This seating position is proper for a hybrid. Lowers you about 2”. Not as low as the CSR but also safer on the streets. Saves about 100 lbs. I need to weigh.

Add some manual Team Schirmer seat brackets and the seats are done.

These seats fit 36” plus waist and have already done 200 mile road trip and happy to report they are perfectly comfortable.

A couple of quick pics for now.
Attached Images

RideM317.00
Hedoniste3820.50
F87EVO4031.00
M3R12164.00
Wah2778.50
prompt292.00
Rumbloki176.00
      08-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Seats look really great. Custom upholstery?
      08-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #3
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 CS | '18 GT3 T

Love the seats! This is something I wish BMW did from the factory. I have no idea why the engineers decided to remove the armrest and comfort access but keep power seats. Manual seats are much easier to move back and forth to get in/out of the car and they weigh LESS. 🤔
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      08-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #4
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyrides View Post
Love the seats! This is something I wish BMW did from the factory. I have no idea why the engineers decided to remove the armrest and comfort access but keep power seats. Manual seats are much easier to move back and forth to get in/out of the car and they weigh LESS. 🤔
I know my left elbow sits on the arm rest and I can prop up my head with my left hand perfectly. Great for thinking about cars on those long rides.

I'll have to check but maybe the seating position is now low enough to use the alcantera center console as an arm rest.

The only thing that bothers me about the car now is the lack of comfort access.

But as for the seating position it reminds me of our tourings now. I think yours has buckets no?
      08-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #5
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Seats look really great. Custom upholstery?
They are a perfect match from materials to stitching to size and the best part about it, they are factory Sparco.
      08-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Looks great and the weight savings makes a lot of sense also. I could definitely do without the power seats.

Did you just make the car a 2 seater or can passengers still get in the back?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #7
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
Looks great and the weight savings makes a lot of sense also. I could definitely do without the power seats.

Did you just make the car a 2 seater or can passengers still get in the back?
I added a roll bar and a rear seat delete kit. I have no interest in having an m2 CS four seater but I don't some do.

More pics and info about the other mods to come
Tornado1M1209.00
aparedes300.50
      08-22-2022, 11:34 AM   #8
aparedes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
I added a roll bar and a rear seat delete kit. I have no interest in having an m2 CS four seater but I don't some do.

More pics and info about the other mods to come
Glad to see this post. I have a M2CS as well. Ordered the half cage, exhaust and Team Schirmer Track Pack about 10 months ago and all still seating waiting to have it install, was just hoping to find time time to drive the car on the track stock before getting the mods in. Work and travel has made such an impossible task.

One of the items I had pending was the bucket seats. I was incline to order the Recaro Podiums (expensive but they seem amazing). Which seats have you put in? Is the upholstery custom? Do you need to reprogram the car for a faulty code since the stock seats were removed?

Lastly do you have pics of the cage install?

Thank you,

A
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

New seats save roughly 90lbs, exhaust 40lbs, rear seat 30lbs. Add Li battery would be another 25lbs. CSR front brakes saves another 20lbs iirc. These are approximate. Rear seat might be closer to 50lbs, but I can't remember.

That adds up quick. ~200lbs.

Easy to see why the CSL cars start going way up in price. The parts to get there start going way up in cost.
Appreciate 1
Davil6484.00
      08-22-2022, 08:54 PM   #10
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
. Add Li battery would be another 25lbs.
Probably a lot more than that. I just put a Deadweight industries battery in the Aston and that saved nearly 50lbs. All in the middle in that car as the battery is in the parcel shelf behind the seats. I know replacing an e92 battery with a deadweight industries battery saves 55lbs so I reckon it would be pretty similar on the CS.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:58 PM   #11
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparedes View Post
Glad to see this post. I have a M2CS as well. Ordered the half cage, exhaust and Team Schirmer Track Pack about 10 months ago and all still seating waiting to have it install, was just hoping to find time time to drive the car on the track stock before getting the mods in. Work and travel has made such an impossible task.

One of the items I had pending was the bucket seats. I was incline to order the Recaro Podiums (expensive but they seem amazing). Which seats have you put in? Is the upholstery custom? Do you need to reprogram the car for a faulty code since the stock seats were removed?

Lastly do you have pics of the cage install?

Thank you,

A
Nice my friend. Make time cause time waits for no one.

I went with Sparco CF buckets with manufacturer red stitching. Leather and Alcantara. I'm in the uphostery business and know getting something custom done is A expensive and B usually never comes out quite like the manufacturer.

$2200 per seat IIRC. The seating position alone is a big upgrade, not to mention the other benefits. The Schirmer brackets ARE NOT PLUG AND PLAY. You need to drill a few holes here and there and minipulate them to get the sliders to work.

Glad to see someone else is doing the same thing to their CS. This is exactly what was done to E30 M3's and LTW's back in the day.

Heck, a lot of people even turned their LTW's into race cars. Doubt anyone would do that to a CS these days, how times have changed.

I went with the Competition Motorsports bar. It's nice but I like the Schirmer design way better but didn't want to import one. I probably should have waited but I digress.

Lifeline harnesses are so good.

More pics to come.
aparedes300.50
      08-22-2022, 09:01 PM   #12
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Probably a lot more than that. I just put a Deadweight industries battery in the Aston and that saved nearly 50lbs. All in the middle in that car as the battery is in the parcel shelf behind the seats. I know replacing an e92 battery with a deadweight industries battery saves 55lbs so I reckon it would be pretty similar on the CS.
Thanks for this, never heard of it. I'll research and make sure it can handle street duties as well. Even at 30 lbs it's worth it if it can do everything the stock battery can.
      08-22-2022, 09:07 PM   #13
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
New seats save roughly 90lbs, exhaust 40lbs, rear seat 30lbs. Add Li battery would be another 25lbs. CSR front brakes saves another 20lbs iirc. These are approximate. Rear seat might be closer to 50lbs, but I can't remember.

That adds up quick. ~200lbs.

Easy to see why the CSL cars start going way up in price. The parts to get there start going way up in cost.
And with the inflation Germany is experiencing right now, $85k a few years ago seams so cheap.

I did add a roll bar so that was probably 40-50 lbs

I never weigh anything, I'm so dumb.
chris7197331.50
      08-22-2022, 09:14 PM   #14
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for this, never heard of it. I'll research and make sure it can handle street duties as well. Even at 30 lbs it's worth it if it can do everything the stock battery can.
I got the largest one which weighs in at an enormous 13lbs It has all the cranking power you'll need and best of all the cranking power doesn't drop as charge drops as with a lead battery. It will also put itself in power saving mode if it gets too low, you can then use their quick charger and you are ready to go in 30 minutes. Parasitic drain is quite low in the M2 compared to earlier models so you should have an easy 4 weeks standby.

Good FAQ here.

https://deadweightindustries.com.au/...uld-you-choose
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #15
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice my friend. Make time cause time waits for no one.

I went with Sparco CF buckets with manufacturer red stitching. Leather and Alcantara. I'm in the uphostery business and know getting something custom done is A expensive and B usually never comes out quite like the manufacturer.

$2200 per seat IIRC. The seating position alone is a big upgrade, not to mention the other benefits. The Schirmer brackets ARE NOT PLUG AND PLAY. You need to drill a few holes here and there and minipulate them to get the sliders to work.

Glad to see someone else is doing the same thing to their CS. This is exactly what was done to E30 M3's and LTW's back in the day.

Heck, a lot of people even turned their LTW's into race cars. Doubt anyone would do that to a CS these days, how times have changed.

I went with the Competition Motorsports bar. It's nice but I like the Schirmer design way better but didn't want to import one. I probably should have waited but I digress.

Lifeline harnesses are so good.

More pics to come.
What there a reason you wanted those seat mounts? Anything out there that is plug and play with sliders.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #16
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
I got the largest one which weighs in at an enormous 13lbs It has all the cranking power you'll need and best of all the cranking power doesn't drop as charge drops as with a lead battery. It will also put itself in power saving mode if it gets too low, you can then use their quick charger and you are ready to go in 30 minutes. Parasitic drain is quite low in the M2 compared to earlier models so you should have an easy 4 weeks standby.

Good FAQ here.

https://deadweightindustries.com.au/...uld-you-choose
What part number
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #17
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

Correct Li Battery Charge Coding ?

Hi Davil
Can we properly code the Li Battery Charging sequence in the F87 Cs chassis ?

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #18
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

@ptdltw Those carbon buckets on sliders. If slid all the way forward is there still reasonable access to the back seats for passengers. I like those seats, but loading kids is a higher priority for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #19
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
@ptdltw Those carbon buckets on sliders. If slid all the way forward is there still reasonable access to the back seats for passengers. I like those seats, but loading kids is a higher priority for me.
No sir, I don't think you can get away with buckets....

However you could do Bucket for the driver Let them in and out via passenger side.

Accidents could be a problem if they could only exit one side.
      08-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #20
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What there a reason you wanted those seat mounts? Anything out there that is plug and play with sliders.
I wouldn't call anything plug and play except for the Akrapovic exhaust we did.

I wanted a piece of Schirmer in the car.

Manual sliders work great let me check clearence for passengers.

Update: Wow they slide up far enough where I can barely get out, this leaves 13" from the bolster to the b pillar. Not enough for anyone to safely crawl in and out.

You're just going to have to buy another M2 CS and modify it. Keep yours for the street.

Last edited by ptgltw; 08-23-2022 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #21
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

That answers that. And keeps some coin in my pocket. I think I'm going to try one of those batteries. That's a lot of weight savings.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3774.50
      08-23-2022, 02:21 PM   #22
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Admittedly, I never knew an M2 CSR existed until finding this thread.

Last edited by DadVibes; 08-24-2022 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0