BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > WOT vibration above 4krpm

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #67
ZM2
Colonel
1386
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
Thanks for the reply. Currently no mod plans. I just want a service team who will take me seriously when I say that something like this is going on. Passport said oh you just have cupped tires. I have since determined that is not the cause. I've been an aircraft mechanic for almost a decade. I'm not just some guy off the street.
Yeah, that sh*t doesn’t fly in my book.

Carl is a straight shooting service advisor that will help you out, even if he doesn’t know much in detail about M2’s.

Joe is his boss and has helped me on a lot of “warranty” work bc I was upfront about what I was doing with my car (50+ track days). Great guy.

Lastly, if you make it to Ron (both their bosses), someone has f’ed up and he’s there to make things right. I’ve only needed to pull that card a couple times on our BMW’s and he went out of his way to make sure everything was fixed.

I’m not the type to whine & bitch, just want things done right and these guys appreciate that. Feel free to PM me if you need more input.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #68
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
Imperial328i's Avatar
United_States
177
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southern Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
Thanks for the reply. Currently no mod plans. I just want a service team who will take me seriously when I say that something like this is going on. Passport said oh you just have cupped tires. I have since determined that is not the cause. I've been an aircraft mechanic for almost a decade. I'm not just some guy off the street.
Yeah, that sh*t doesn’t fly in my book.

Carl is a straight shooting service advisor that will help you out, even if he doesn’t know much in detail about M2’s.

Joe is his boss and has helped me on a lot of “warranty” work bc I was upfront about what I was doing with my car (50+ track days). Great guy.

Lastly, if you make it to Ron (both their bosses), someone has f’ed up and he’s there to make things right. I’ve only needed to pull that card a couple times on our BMW’s and he went out of his way to make sure everything was fixed.

I’m not the type to whine & bitch, just want things done right and these guys appreciate that. Feel free to PM me if you need more input.
Good deal, thanks so much!
__________________
2017 F80 ZCP - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
ZM21386.00

      12-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #69
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
Imperial328i's Avatar
United_States
177
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southern Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM2 View Post
Been complaining about drivetrain vibration between 3-4.5k since new. Dealership replaced final drive bushings. Vibration finally gone. Long time coming. Hope this helps.
So RealOEM shows 33177852495 as the RUBBER bushing used for a rear axle carrier (subframe) that ended production 7/2018. It lists 33178094690 as a POLYURETHANE bushing used in the updated subframe. I wonder if this redesign is due to the vibration we're experiencing.
__________________
2017 F80 ZCP - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #70
M Fifty
Major
437
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: M2 & 330CI
Join Date: May 2018
Location: The Interweb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
So RealOEM shows 33177852495 as the RUBBER bushing used for a rear axle carrier (subframe) that ended production 7/2018. It lists 33178094690 as a POLYURETHANE bushing used in the updated subframe. I wonder if this redesign is due to the vibration we're experiencing.
It does also only list the poly bushing with 33318097478 - which is the subframe that supersedes the earlier one with the rubber bushing.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #71
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
Imperial328i's Avatar
United_States
177
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southern Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
So RealOEM shows 33177852495 as the RUBBER bushing used for a rear axle carrier (subframe) that ended production 7/2018. It lists 33178094690 as a POLYURETHANE bushing used in the updated subframe. I wonder if this redesign is due to the vibration we're experiencing.
It does also only list the poly bushing with 33318097478 - which is the subframe that supersedes the earlier one with the rubber bushing.
Yeah I'm wondering if it was a big enough issue to be redesigned.
__________________
2017 F80 ZCP - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #72
fleetfoot
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta,GA

iTrader: (0)

I took my 2017 to the dealer, and although they were able to reproduce the vibration with WOT above 3k rpm they said there wasn't anything they could do. They said this sort of vibration was normal for a stiff car like the M2. They checked the subframe bushings, and said they didn't see anything wrong. I was hoping to get those subframe bushings replaced, potentially with the poly bushings mentioned above. Any idea how to make that happen?
__________________
2017 F87 M2 6MT: Mineral Gray Metallic, Eibach Pro Springs, Fabspeed Catted Downpipe, Evolution Racewerks FMIC+Chargepipe, CDV Delete
2013 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT
2004 Acura TSX 6MT (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #73
ZM2
Colonel
1386
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

There’s a different thread about this where several of us figured out it was the differential and got it replaced under warranty.

Mention that to your dealer and have them check for metal in the diff.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #74
fleetfoot
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta,GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
There’s a different thread about this where several of us figured out it was the differential and got it replaced under warranty.

Mention that to your dealer and have them check for metal in the diff.
I've spent the last 10 minutes using google and bimmerpost search tools looking for "metal" and "differential" but haven't found anything. Is there something more specific I could use to find the thread you're referencing?
__________________
2017 F87 M2 6MT: Mineral Gray Metallic, Eibach Pro Springs, Fabspeed Catted Downpipe, Evolution Racewerks FMIC+Chargepipe, CDV Delete
2013 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT
2004 Acura TSX 6MT (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #75
ZM2
Colonel
1386
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
I've spent the last 10 minutes using google and bimmerpost search tools looking for "metal" and "differential" but haven't found anything. Is there something more specific I could use to find the thread you're referencing?
After trying to jog my memory, maybe it was this thread all along and I just chatted with a couple guys on the side.

But, a few of us had our differentials replaced and that fixed the issue, so I’d mention it to the dealer and have them check the diff fluid.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #76
fleetfoot
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta,GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
After trying to jog my memory, maybe it was this thread all along and I just chatted with a couple guys on the side.

But, a few of us had our differentials replaced and that fixed the issue, so I’d mention it to the dealer and have them check the diff fluid.
Based on the speculation in earlier threads that new bushings (maybe poly) fix this issue too, I wonder if your vibration was remediated because they installed new bushings with the new diff. Do you know for sure that the dealer found metal in the diff before they replaced it?

This is my first time using this dealer in Atlanta, and they seem pretty "by the books". The other 2 dealers I've used in the past have scratched my wheels/windows or been completely incompetent, but they have seemed more eager to do big warranty repairs when I ask. So maybe I go back...
__________________
2017 F87 M2 6MT: Mineral Gray Metallic, Eibach Pro Springs, Fabspeed Catted Downpipe, Evolution Racewerks FMIC+Chargepipe, CDV Delete
2013 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT
2004 Acura TSX 6MT (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #77
ZM2
Colonel
1386
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
Based on the speculation in earlier threads that new bushings (maybe poly) fix this issue too, I wonder if your vibration was remediated because they installed new bushings with the new diff. Do you know for sure that the dealer found metal in the diff before they replaced it?

This is my first time using this dealer in Atlanta, and they seem pretty "by the books". The other 2 dealers I've used in the past have scratched my wheels/windows or been completely incompetent, but they have seemed more eager to do big warranty repairs when I ask. So maybe I go back...
I don’t know if they replaced the bushings, but there was definitely metal in my diff.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #78
fleetfoot
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta,GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I don’t know if they replaced the bushings, but there was definitely metal in my diff.
And the only symptom you were seeing when you had the metal in your diff was vibration during overboost situations? Or did you have other stuff going on too?

I don't have any of the other issues folks with diff problems have mentioned. Although I do have a clicking noise when I turn that seems to be coming from the front wheels, but I suppose could actually be coming from the rear.
__________________
2017 F87 M2 6MT: Mineral Gray Metallic, Eibach Pro Springs, Fabspeed Catted Downpipe, Evolution Racewerks FMIC+Chargepipe, CDV Delete
2013 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT
2004 Acura TSX 6MT (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #79
ZM2
Colonel
1386
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
And the only symptom you were seeing when you had the metal in your diff was vibration during overboost situations? Or did you have other stuff going on too?

I don't have any of the other issues folks with diff problems have mentioned. Although I do have a clicking noise when I turn that seems to be coming from the front wheels, but I suppose could actually be coming from the rear.
I was having vibrations above 4K regardless of throttle position. It was just much more noticeable when more load was going thru the drivetrain.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 10:50 PM   #80
rayjoedef
New Member
3
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C DCT
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: new york

iTrader: (0)

2020 M2C DCT here....vibration occurs under load 2nd and 3rd gear. Brought it to BMW who test drove the car - they said it was consistent with another M2C they drove. It was just 2 fat guys testing my car and didn't want to work too hard to get it resolved. Brought it to another dealer who felt the vibration as well. They've had it for a few days now and will report their findings (if any) here.

Was the differential bushing the fix OR a completely new diff?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 02:10 AM   #81
KillerExcessive
Enlisted Member
25
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: E92 6MT, F80 6MT, F87 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
2020 M2C DCT here....vibration occurs under load 2nd and 3rd gear. Brought it to BMW who test drove the car - they said it was consistent with another M2C they drove. It was just 2 fat guys testing my car and didn't want to work too hard to get it resolved. Brought it to another dealer who felt the vibration as well. They've had it for a few days now and will report their findings (if any) here.

Was the differential bushing the fix OR a completely new diff?

thanks
Can you share the mileage on your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #82
rayjoedef
New Member
3
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C DCT
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: new york

iTrader: (0)

sure, 4300
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #83
ZM2
Colonel
1386
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
2020 M2C DCT here....vibration occurs under load 2nd and 3rd gear. Brought it to BMW who test drove the car - they said it was consistent with another M2C they drove. It was just 2 fat guys testing my car and didn't want to work too hard to get it resolved. Brought it to another dealer who felt the vibration as well. They've had it for a few days now and will report their findings (if any) here.

Was the differential bushing the fix OR a completely new diff?

thanks
No one knows for sure, but it seems unlikely you’d need new bushings with only 4300 miles.

If you’ve done some launch control launches or track time and they find metal in your diff, you’ll have your answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #84
rayjoedef
New Member
3
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C DCT
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: new york

iTrader: (0)

Zero launch and no track time.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #85
3t3p
Captain
162
Rep
662
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I have a weird almost harmonic tin sounding resonance to the left of me (RHD car) at about that rpm now I think about it.

Rest of time it's not there so have written it off as an M-car noise hehe
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #86
fleetfoot
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta,GA

iTrader: (0)

Unexpected Fix

Preface: I've had the vibration issue during overboost since I got the car at 6500 miles. I took it to the dealer and they detected the vibration, but said it was normal for a stiff M car. During the same visit, CBS called for new spark plugs, which the dealer installed under warranty.

So after the dealer visit I was driving my M2 hard in the mountains last weekend, and the vibration at WOT in third gear turned into something worse: a CEL. I had downshifted into third, went WOT with overboost and immediately the engine backfired, went into limp mode, and threw a CEL with 3 codes for: random misfire, misfire on 3, and misfire on 4. I pulled over, restarted, and they cleared. But then I had the same thing happen about 30 minutes later with a misfire only on cylinder 3, so my mountain drive was over.

I took it to the dealer and after a bunch of diagnostics (including a smoke test) they determined the coil on 3 was bad. They went ahead and replaced the coil and plug on on 3. The CEL is gone and I haven't felt any vibration during overboost since.

So I think my vibration was likely caused by a failing coil.
__________________
2017 F87 M2 6MT: Mineral Gray Metallic, Eibach Pro Springs, Fabspeed Catted Downpipe, Evolution Racewerks FMIC+Chargepipe, CDV Delete
2013 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT
2004 Acura TSX 6MT (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #87
ZM2
Colonel
1386
Rep
2,196
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

Nice. That’s an important distinction. Mine was doing it when not in overboost.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #88
rayjoedef
New Member
3
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C DCT
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: new york

iTrader: (0)

dealer called today...replacing subframe bushing and car should be back to me by monday. I'll report back my findings. Sucks we have to chase these things because these cars are just a blast at the price point.
Appreciate 2
ZM21386.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST