BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Why does everyone order the Executive package?

10-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #89
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I dont even want the back seats, center console, door storage bins, visors, glove box.
I really think they would have done better releasing a CSL instead of a fat cat CS.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3870.50
      10-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #90
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I really think they would have done better releasing a CSL instead of a fat cat CS.
A sub 3000lb CSL, I would take. I'd be happy without any goodies on this car
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      10-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #91
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Got the package mainly for the wireless charging and the headlights.

The wireless charger is barely a step above worthless/phone warmer.

The headlights are okay.

We have a 2017 Camry XSE (that was half the price of this car) and the wireless charging is awesome.

...but the M2C charger does make for a good phone holder if you have one that fits. iPhone 11 Pro is the largest you can get in there with any kind of case.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #92
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
You mean unlucky. The M2 is such a pig. Can you imagine how bad-ass it'd be without all the crap in it? 2800 lbs, 400ish hp, some real rubber with a real suspension, just wow.
Like this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post26828657
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #93
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
That's a bit "race car" for me. I'm just talking decontenting and different choice of materials to make it a lighter car.

Imagine it looking the same, with the exception of no rear seat, but having less stuff on it, and some lighter materials used.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #94
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
That's a bit "race car" for me. I'm just talking decontenting and different choice of materials to make it a lighter car.

Imagine it looking the same, with the exception of no rear seat, but having less stuff on it, and some lighter materials used.
Correct, decontented but finished properly
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      10-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #95
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagnificent55 View Post
I’ve noticed over the past few months that almost every competition-model vehicle is spec’d with the executive package. It’s hard to even find a photo of a competition without the Exec. headlights. When I was optioning my car, I looked at the cost and the benefits and I just couldn’t seem to justify it for slightly different headlights, and the heated steering wheel. Sure, the headlights are of the newer style and they look nice, but subjectively not that much better. Wireless phone charging seems slow and cumbersome, and the WiFi hotspot is really a niche need.

I suppose my question is, why did you spec your vehicle with or without executive package? Am I missing something here? Or is the purchase of this option really just a consequence of the fact that there aren’t any other options to add to the car besides the color and moonroof?
Because M owners are soft now. They are no longer the guys that bought the E30 M3 with the crazy firm suspension that autocrossed and wanted a race car that could get them to work on monday, pick up their kids, then track or canyon carve on the weekends. The softification of M cars has been a long slow death where now the so many order "executive package" which is a euphemism in the tailoring word for pudgy people AKA executive cut. Executive package is for the new generation that value comfort and gadgetty cool over driving. It's just a different customer now and they pay the bills for BMW. The new G80 M3 offers weight adding powered trunk closing option. Seriously? Not a heavy or tall hatch that short people maybe can't reach but a motorized trunk closer to go along with the others useless weight adding gadgets like motorized folding mirrors and self parking cars.

So that is why so many order it and the more that order it, normalizes this behavior. It used to be no respectable M enthusiast would order an automatic or executive package but now everyone does it so it seems normal. I guess in their defense there are few places to autocross or track. The roads are congested with idiots parked and texting in the "fast" lane. The roads are crappy and full of 20 inch-wheel-eating potholes so might as well just add more fluff to M cars since you really can't enjoy the drive as much anymore. Since so few are really get all their rocks off on driving, now you have all of these cool gadgets to experience and talk about.

That's my answer to your question. Personally I don't get it but I think that's because I still think M is meant for Motorsports but it really means ///More speed and gadgets and weight and fluff and bragging rights than ///Motorsports.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #96
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

The reason why I selected Executive Package is for the updated LED headlights. Everything else in the Executive Package is useless to me.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10048.00
      10-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #97
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Because M owners are soft now. They are no longer the guys that bought the E30 M3 with the crazy firm suspension that autocrossed and wanted a race car that could get them to work on monday, pick up their kids, then track or canyon carve on the weekends. The softification of M cars has been a long slow death where now the so many order "executive package" which is a euphemism in the tailoring word for pudgy people AKA executive cut. Executive package is for the new generation that value comfort and gadgetty cool over driving. It's just a different customer now and they pay the bills for BMW. The new G80 M3 offers weight adding powered trunk closing option. Seriously? Not a heavy or tall hatch that short people maybe can't reach but a motorized trunk closer to go along with the others useless weight adding gadgets like motorized folding mirrors and self parking cars.

So that is why so many order it and the more that order it, normalizes this behavior. It used to be no respectable M enthusiast would order an automatic or executive package but now everyone does it so it seems normal. I guess in their defense there are few places to autocross or track. The roads are congested with idiots parked and texting in the "fast" lane. The roads are crappy and full of 20 inch-wheel-eating potholes so might as well just add more fluff to M cars since you really can't enjoy the drive as much anymore. Since so few are really get all their rocks off on driving, now you have all of these cool gadgets to experience and talk about.

That's my answer to your question. Personally I don't get it but I think that's because I still think M is meant for Motorsports but it really means ///More speed and gadgets and weight and fluff and bragging rights than ///Motorsports.
I dont know about that, but M has always been about making cars that are like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Practical sporty cars. So this evolution is not strange. The M enthusiast that you refer to are the fringe, not the majority of the buyers, and perhaps never were. I dont track my M2 (maybe I'm not enthusiast), but I do love it it for the fact that I can drive it daily and have a lot of fun doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #98
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
That's an X5 lol, this is a 2 series. We're lucky to get airbags.
You mean unlucky. The M2 is such a pig. Can you imagine how bad-ass it'd be without all the crap in it? 2800 lbs, 400ish hp, some real rubber with a real suspension, just wow.
She's definitively a porker! I was surprised when I got mine and actually drove it on my local twisties. All the reviews that said "it's so light and nimble feeling" LOL!

It would be amazing if it was just 600-700lbs lighter.

But I've gotten used to it and I like it. Certainly not any kind of "track weapon" out of the box like some people try to sell it as.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #99
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I dont know about that, but M has always been about making cars that are like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Practical sporty cars. So this evolution is not strange. The M enthusiast that you refer to are the fringe, not the majority of the buyers, and perhaps never were. I dont track my M2 (maybe I'm not enthusiast), but I do love it it for the fact that I can drive it daily and have a lot of fun doing it.
No, you are an in fact an "enthusiast," but a different type. You are correct, the people that were originally targeted by ///M are fringe now but they are few around and it just puzzles them. Your point about a wolf in sheeps clothing also confirms what I said. People don't know what the M car was about. It's not a wolf in sheeps clothing. That was my 1993 Sentra SER that looked like an econobox sentra but had an all aluminum 2.0 L 140HP motor with limited slip, 4 wheel disk brakes 131mph top speed and 0-60 in 7.6 seconds but looked like a college kid's first car with a wing on it. That was a wolf in sheeps clothing. It had one R in the rear to differentiate it from the E, SE variants. There are 16-20 M badges (or Wolf badges) on your M car. Every angle, nook and cranny has an M on it. It's like Wolf wearing a sheepskin scarf and 24 buttons from the sheep-eating society, Wolve-anonymous, lamb, the other white meat...etc. There is nothing WISC in the M2. Even the story of the M car (M1 and E30 M3) is unknown to most M owners. It was a race car that was "liveable" every day and would provide the "ultimate" driving experience. It wasn't just meant to be fast the formula was a sedan or coupe that could compete and with true sports cars yet be liveable with every day. The issue is that what people consider liveable is now the equivalent of some Tool-time lazy boy invention with built in cooler, arm that opens and holds your beer for you, voice activated reclining and butt-massaging. We laugh at it when we see it on TV but to our amazement, people are doing that to ///M cars.

That's OK too, but the OP asked because he/she are also wondering so I tried to answer the question. Most M owners today put more weight on comfort and gadgetry over the driving dynamics and weight. That's OK, it's evolution, the masses have spoken and those of us that value the the former are sorta stuck hoping it's a pendulum swing and one day it might swing back to people caring about performance and dynamics not just automated speed and comfort.
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3870.50
Moflow2484.50
      10-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #100
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

I specifically did not order the Exec package as I did not want all the gadgetry. And I thought the car might be one of the last M cars with a manual - and some analog qualities yet.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      10-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #101
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
I specifically did not order the Exec package as I did not want all the gadgetry. And I thought the car might be one of the last M cars with a manual - and some analog qualities yet.
Yes to some it would've taken away from the focus and what's left of analog-ness. I remember when spec'ing my 1M. I fought to get it no options and euro delivery. As I was ready to out the order my wife said. Oh you. An ver heated seats. I love heated seats. It was only $500 and I clicked the box. Then I stopped and realized I have finally after two years secured an allocation and after fighting for euro delivery and option to get it bare bones I wasn't about to soften it. I checked off the box and saved the 1 1b of weight added by the heated seats and the car felt it was a man's car. I don't need no stinkin' heated seats! : ). Got the wife a GTI with heated seats and she's happy and I don't compromise the rawness, at least in my head, of the 1M. : )

I know it's a little extreme for most here but props to you!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #102
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
She's definitively a porker! I was surprised when I got mine and actually drove it on my local twisties. All the reviews that said "it's so light and nimble feeling" LOL!

But I've gotten used to it and I like it. Certainly not any kind of "track weapon" out of the box like some people try to sell it as.
Think about me coming out of my Lotus that's 1,890 lbs!

I love the feel of the M2, but it could definitely use a diet.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #103
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

No executive package for me. I ordered a 2021 and it comes with Full adaptive LED lights 🤷*♂️. I can't remember the last time I looked at my m240i and paid any attention to the headlights specifically. These cars look good either way. If I lived in a cold climate, I might get it for the steering wheel but I don't. Everything else is pointless.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #104
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post

Think about me coming out of my Lotus that's 1,890 lbs!

I love the feel of the M2, but it could definitely use a diet.
I was just at my friend's house last night and we were comparing notes since we both have relatively new M2s....overall the platform is fantastic coming from S2000s, the weight is a major difference when pushed.
      10-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #105
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
No executive package for me. I ordered a 2021 and it comes with Full adaptive LED lights 🤷*♂️. I can't remember the last time I looked at my m240i and paid any attention to the headlights specifically. These cars look good either way. If I lived in a cold climate, I might get it for the steering wheel but I don't. Everything else is pointless.
The more time I’ve had with my “standard headlights” the more I’ve grown to like them. I also passed a guy in a brand new white M2C with carbon accents in Austin, TX the other day who also had the standard headlights. There’s just something about the roundness that seems to make the sharp edges and aggressive body lines contrast so well. I officially have zero regret now. .... alright, 5% regret about the heated steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #106
mbchris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

I did not order the exec package.

Adaptive lights - nice if you drive much at night. 90% of my driving is day
Heated steering wheel - unnecessary in Texas
Wireless charging - I just plug in if needed

I traded in my 2019 MT M2C - I don't feel the lack of the package hurt the trade in.

I did get the Exec package on my M4CS. HUD and rear shade - more useful in my book. Side shades in a car are best - had those added to all my 4 doors where possible (kids).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #107
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
I did not order the exec package.

Heated steering wheel - unnecessary in Texas
Wireless charging - I just plug in if needed

I traded in my 2019 MT M2C - I don't feel the lack of the package hurt the trade in.

I did get the Exec package on my M4CS. HUD and rear shade - more useful in my book. Side shades in a car are best - had those added to all my 4 doors where possible (kids).
A HUD is a significant add-on. That would have changed the calculus significantly. It’s a shame that it wasn’t available for the M2.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #108
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
Funny.

My primary reason for ordering exec was how great the adaptive LED's look during the day. They transform the front end of the car IMO.
Appreciate 3
      10-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #109
GregInNewMexico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
Funny.

My primary reason for ordering exec was how great the adaptive LED's look during the day. They transform the front end of the car IMO.
Agree. I absolutely love the look of the adaptive headlights.
2006 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #110
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

My M2 was not ordered, bought it of the lot. Had no choice about the exec. package as it was already spec'd. And I'm surprised this thread is 5 pages long... Who cares?
Appreciate 1
Sarg33554.50