BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Airbag Recall Updates

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #243
phantom7835
Second Lieutenant
phantom7835's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
your guess is as good as mine

One of the many things I'll be bringing up tomorrow as why I'm justified in canceling the car
You're really going to cancel your order? That's a shame ... the M2C (and the M2 before it!) is really a lot of fun ... right size ... nice performance. I'm disappointed about the recall ... but what else is there for $60k similar in performance?
Nothing, but I was planning on upgrading to an M2CS when they come out, I may as well just wait for that

Not to mention, after Chicago taxes and fees it's just shy of 70

Used 911s scream to be purchased at that price
__________________
2020 M2 Competition, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6 Speed
2013 X1 x28i, Valencia Orange, Premium, Cold Weather
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #244
BMWCompact
Private
35
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
I think there's a lot of overreaction going on. Sure the recall sucks, but shit happens. Let's see how this and next week plays out and if the end of May target holds true. BMW and all of the dealerships have every reason to expedite a fix ASAP.
If the knee air bag(s) recall is similar to the Takata steering wheel airbag recall, BMW really has no way to expedite a fix ... it's all down to supply of available knee airbags. The supplier(s) can only produce so many replacement airbags. In the case of the Takata recall, I remember waiting months.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #245
ContactPatch
Lieutenant
ContactPatch's Avatar
369
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: It's Quick!
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Nothing, but I was planning on upgrading to an M2CS when they come out, I may as well just wait for that

Not to mention, after Chicago taxes and fees it's just shy of 70

Used 911s scream to be purchased at that price
I hear you. When will the M2CS be able to be purchased, in a perfect world, that is?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #246
phantom7835
Second Lieutenant
phantom7835's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Nothing, but I was planning on upgrading to an M2CS when they come out, I may as well just wait for that

Not to mention, after Chicago taxes and fees it's just shy of 70

Used 911s scream to be purchased at that price
I hear you. When will the M2CS be able to be purchased, in a perfect world, that is?
If it's a 2021MY, they should be available to order in spring of 2020, my dealer also confirmed this
__________________
2020 M2 Competition, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6 Speed
2013 X1 x28i, Valencia Orange, Premium, Cold Weather
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #247
mhanism
Captain
mhanism's Avatar
United_States
271
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
I think there's a lot of overreaction going on. Sure the recall sucks, but shit happens. Let's see how this and next week plays out and if the end of May target holds true. BMW and all of the dealerships have every reason to expedite a fix ASAP.
If the knee air bag(s) recall is similar to the Takata steering wheel airbag recall, BMW really has no way to expedite a fix ... it's all down to supply of available knee airbags. The supplier(s) can only produce so many replacement airbags. In the case of the Takata recall, I remember waiting months.
True - but we've seen some indicators that a fix was in the works and supply getting figured out. An ED car was repaired just in time for delivery in another thread, certain CAs have shared the end of May time frame for parts to be delivered, and production has resumed with the fix... so let's give it another week or until the end of May before all hell breaks lose. Lol
__________________
MY20 M2 Competition
MY16 M3 (Sold)
MY17 X3 35i M Sport
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 2
Paddy-O27.00

      05-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #248
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
121
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
True - but we've seen some indicators that a fix was in the works and supply getting figured out. An ED car was repaired just in time for delivery in another thread, certain CAs have shared the end of May time frame for parts to be delivered, and production has resumed with the fix... so let's give it another week or until the end of May before all hell breaks lose. Lol
It is the total lack of clear communication from the BMW mothership that frustrated me the most. Had they come out and said “knee airbag recall for already sold vehicles at the dealerships will be resolved by such and such date”, I would have waited more patiently.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #249
fastMonBBS
Private
68
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 2020 LBB M2C
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

This is crazy. I bought mine on may 4th, signed paperwork around 16:30 and drove off the lot. Got home to check forums and saw the recall. All you guys that are waiting on your cars, the wait is so worth it! Don't jump ship, this thing is fun!

My dealer told me parts should arrive end of may. Fingers crossed and i hope you all get to enjoy this incredible car very soon!
Appreciate 2
mhanism271.00
natmad311.50

      05-20-2019, 12:30 AM   #250
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
121
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastMonBBS View Post
This is crazy. I bought mine on may 4th, signed paperwork around 16:30 and drove off the lot. Got home to check forums and saw the recall. All you guys that are waiting on your cars, the wait is so worth it! Don't jump ship, this thing is fun!

My dealer told me parts should arrive end of may. Fingers crossed and i hope you all get to enjoy this incredible car very soon!

You are very lucky, indeed. Mine arrived at the dealership on may 4th and was told at noon that they could not sell me the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #251
2011M3V8
Private
2011M3V8's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: E93 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
your guess is as good as mine

One of the many things I'll be bringing up tomorrow as why I'm justified in canceling the car
You're really going to cancel your order? That's a shame ... the M2C (and the M2 before it!) is really a lot of fun ... right size ... nice performance. I'm disappointed about the recall ... but what else is there for $60k similar in performance?
Nothing, but I was planning on upgrading to an M2CS when they come out, I may as well just wait for that

Not to mention, after Chicago taxes and fees it's just shy of 70

Used 911s scream to be purchased at that price
My friend I would not try to make this comparison.

1. A used 911 is expensive to own. Annual cost is typically between $500-$1000
2. It is unlikely you will get into one for 70k after tax and fees. It might be CPO, it might not. It may have 30,000+ miles on it.
3. Your auto insurance will be more
4. Buying the right used 911 is an art. People wait years searching the pre owned search tool.

I hope you find this information to be helpful and unbiased. I have owned an M3 V8 for 6 years and said the next car would only be a 911. The M2C (which only came out a year ago) proved to be fantastic value and an amazing experience when bolting on EU delivery and Performance Center delivery to my order as opposed to buying a used 911 off a lot somewhere
__________________
? 2019 M2 Competition
? 2011 M3 Convertible
? Boston, MA
? hockenheim_m2
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #252
StarHunter
Enlisted Member
StarHunter's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: MY20 M2C DCT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Indy, Indiana, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastMonBBS View Post
This is crazy. I bought mine on may 4th, signed paperwork around 16:30 and drove off the lot. Got home to check forums and saw the recall. All you guys that are waiting on your cars, the wait is so worth it! Don't jump ship, this thing is fun!

My dealer told me parts should arrive end of may. Fingers crossed and i hope you all get to enjoy this incredible car very soon!
Lucky you! I think you dealer probably didn't check the correct box in the BMW system when they signed your paper work. The recall was initiated from BMW on May.2nd evening.
__________________
2020 M2C DCT HS, Exec Pkg
MY16 S60 Polestar (Sold)
Instagram
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #253
BMWCompact
Private
35
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

I just received a very thorough, clear, and concise response from the Performance Center regarding my upcoming Performance Center M2C delivery scheduled for June 10.

I was given the choice of three options: 1) Wait until the repairs are completed at the VPC and then reschedule my Performance Center delivery, 2) Attend the delivery on June 10 as scheduled, but take delivery in the future at my dealer once the recall has completed, or 3) Cancel my Performance Center delivery, schedule a similar experience at the Performance Center and take delivery at my dealer when repairs are completed at the VPC at some future date.

I'm pleased by the professional response of the Performance Center staff to my email from last evening and am fine delaying my Performance Center delivery experience until the recall has been completed at the VPC.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #254
phantom7835
Second Lieutenant
phantom7835's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
I just received a very thorough, clear, and concise response from the Performance Center regarding my upcoming Performance Center M2C delivery scheduled for June 10.

I was given the choice of three options: 1) Wait until the repairs are completed at the VPC and then reschedule my Performance Center delivery, 2) Attend the delivery on June 10 as scheduled, but take delivery in the future at my dealer once the recall has completed, or 3) Cancel my Performance Center delivery, schedule a similar experience at the Performance Center and take delivery at my dealer when repairs are completed at the VPC at some future date.

I'm pleased by the professional response of the Performance Center staff to my email from last evening and am fine delaying my Performance Center delivery experience until the recall has been completed at the VPC.
June 10th and they're still pushing people back? My goodness that's insane
__________________
2020 M2 Competition, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6 Speed
2013 X1 x28i, Valencia Orange, Premium, Cold Weather
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #255
BMWCompact
Private
35
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

June 10 is only 3 weeks away. It appears that this issue is impacting multiple models across the BMW range. Quite honestly, it could be a few months before every impacted BMW is retrofitted.

btw - Thank you for starting this post. Without it, I would've been completely in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #256
phantom7835
Second Lieutenant
phantom7835's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
June 10 is only 3 weeks away. It appears that this issue is impacting multiple models across the BMW range. Quite honestly, it could be a few months before every impacted BMW is retrofitted.
And for that reason, I'm out

I'll just wait til the M2CS arrives and get the car st the same time I'd be getting this anyways
__________________
2020 M2 Competition, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6 Speed
2013 X1 x28i, Valencia Orange, Premium, Cold Weather
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #257
BMWCompact
Private
35
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
June 10 is only 3 weeks away. It appears that this issue is impacting multiple models across the BMW range. Quite honestly, it could be a few months before every impacted BMW is retrofitted.
And for that reason, I'm out

I'll just wait til the M2CS arrives and get the car st the same time I'd be getting this anyways
I sincerely hope that you're able to secure a refund from your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #258
jwan5998
Private
29
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 440I
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
And for that reason, I'm out

I'll just wait til the M2CS arrives and get the car st the same time I'd be getting this anyways

I called BMWNA recall centers. They gave me a little more updates than last week. She said that she was able to see what the parts this recall needs. However, the part is not available.
Appreciate 1
mhanism271.00

      05-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #259
lawsonsdl
Enlisted Member
lawsonsdl's Avatar
17
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2 Comp and 2005 e46 cic
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Overland Park Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
I just received a very thorough, clear, and concise response from the Performance Center regarding my upcoming Performance Center M2C delivery scheduled for June 10.

I was given the choice of three options: 1) Wait until the repairs are completed at the VPC and then reschedule my Performance Center delivery, 2) Attend the delivery on June 10 as scheduled, but take delivery in the future at my dealer once the recall has completed, or 3) Cancel my Performance Center delivery, schedule a similar experience at the Performance Center and take delivery at my dealer when repairs are completed at the VPC at some future date.

I'm pleased by the professional response of the Performance Center staff to my email from last evening and am fine delaying my Performance Center delivery experience until the recall has been completed at the VPC.
These were the exact options my dealer communicated to me last Friday evening. My Performance Center Delivery date was June 12th.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #260
MisterGoober
Private First Class
53
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: Searching!
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Texas!

iTrader: (0)

BMWCompact,

What was the build date on your car? Do you know when it arrived at the VPC?

June 10th is a Monday, so presumably the car would need to arrive at the Performance Center on the 7th or earlier to be prepped and ready to be driven on Monday morning.

There a few variables we don't know:
-How many affected cars are at each VPC
-The order the cars are being worked on (FIFO, ED, Performance Center, etc.)
-How many techs are at each VPC

In this case, the car has to be fixed at the VPC at some point after it arrives (and presumably, there are sold cars waiting that are ahead in line), then has to be shipped to the Performance Center and prepped.

BMW is probably safer setting expectations that the car won't be ready if the schedule is tight. Based on what we know and depending when the car was scheduled to hit the VPC, the schedule might have been tight to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #261
MisterGoober
Private First Class
53
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: Searching!
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Texas!

iTrader: (0)

For those who had performance center delivery canceled, when were the cars scheduled to hit the VPC?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #262
natmad
Private First Class
312
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition 6MT Black
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

So, I wonder if the M2Cs currently in production are being assembled with corrected parts?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #263
phantom7835
Second Lieutenant
phantom7835's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
For those who had performance center delivery canceled, when were the cars scheduled to hit the VPC?
My PCD was canceled after arriving at the performance center on May 3rd, with a pickup date of May 17th
__________________
2020 M2 Competition, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6 Speed
2013 X1 x28i, Valencia Orange, Premium, Cold Weather
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #264
phantom7835
Second Lieutenant
phantom7835's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCompact View Post
June 10 is only 3 weeks away. It appears that this issue is impacting multiple models across the BMW range. Quite honestly, it could be a few months before every impacted BMW is retrofitted.
And for that reason, I'm out

I'll just wait til the M2CS arrives and get the car st the same time I'd be getting this anyways
I sincerely hope that you're able to secure a refund from your dealer.
I hope so too, they keep beating around the bush when I ask about it but it's been 2.5 weeks now, time to get serious
__________________
2020 M2 Competition, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6 Speed
2013 X1 x28i, Valencia Orange, Premium, Cold Weather
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST