BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Recommended weight reduction for M2 Competition

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #1
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
DelGriffith's Avatar
United_States
273
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 2019 SO M2C
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Illinois, now...

iTrader: (0)

Recommended weight reduction for M2 Competition

Let's start a think-tank.

Many of us are excited to move from the M2 to the M2Comp. I'm sure most track day enthusiasts are disappointed with the 55kg weight gain, all up front. Looking for ideas (on a budget) to decrease the forward weight on the M2Comp. CF hood is an obvious starter, but seems to only decrease by 10 lbs. Feel free to suggest other ways to negate the increases and try to stay near 50/50...
__________________
'02 E39 M5-Gone
'07 E60 M5-Gone
'07 E64 M6 Cab-Gone
'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4461
Rep
3,573
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

There are CF hoods offered by Arma Speed and RKP. I couldn't find the weight figures of RKP but Arma Speed says it provides ~20lbs weight savings (9kg vs 18kg). Not sure if I like how it looks though. I will probably wait for BMW to release a CS or CSL model with CF pieces and retrofit OEM parts. You can also go for aluminum front fenders if and when they are available (on CS/L) but not sure it's really worth it.

Btw, there are conflicting weight figures across the web. On BMW Belgium's website, the weight of outgoing M2 is reported as 1570kg 6MT [1595kg DCT] while the weight of M2C is reported as 1550kg 6MT [1575kg DCT].
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
hellrotm
Major General
3027
Rep
6,411
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelGriffith View Post
Let's start a think-tank.

Many of us are excited to move from the M2 to the M2Comp. I'm sure most track day enthusiasts are disappointed with the 55kg weight gain, all up front. Looking for ideas (on a budget) to decrease the forward weight on the M2Comp. CF hood is an obvious starter, but seems to only decrease by 10 lbs. Feel free to suggest other ways to negate the increases and try to stay near 50/50...
Zero confirmation it is all up front. Willing to bet switching to a dual path exhaust, adding a particulate filter, and the larger dual valued muffler...is defiantly a portion of the weight.

First we need an actual car on some corner balance scales, to get a realistic weight and the weight distribution.
Appreciate 5
M-Pilot4461.00
fullstack307.50
chmura1330.00
ChrisK3749.50
dmboone254481.00

      04-27-2018, 04:12 AM   #4
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
allthatisntnow's Avatar
United Kingdom
362
Rep
589
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Yeah the muffler on my 235i weighed a tonne, god only knows what the M2C muffler weighs. Betting thats a good 5-10 KG right there.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
pz619
Colonel
2334
Rep
2,676
Posts

Drives: F87 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

I would maybe look at that exhaust. It's quite sizeable.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
InTheseUncertainTimes
Brigadier General
InTheseUncertainTimes's Avatar
United_States
6999
Rep
4,843
Posts

Drives: The best ///M car obviously
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: These Uncertain Locations

iTrader: (0)

The M mirrors are probably heavier than the normal ones
__________________
Here until my lease ends
Appreciate 3
      04-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
bunnyhive
Enlisted Member
36
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: m2
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: taiwan

iTrader: (0)

i can't handle the truth either

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
There are CF hoods offered by Arma Speed and RKP. I couldn't find the weight figures of RKP but Arma Speed says it provides ~20lbs weight savings (9kg vs 18kg). Not sure if I like how it looks though. I will probably wait for BMW to release a CS or CSL model with CF pieces and retrofit OEM parts. You can also go for aluminum front fenders if and when they are available (on CS/L) but not sure it's really worth it.

Btw, there are conflicting weight figures across the web. On BMW Belgium's website, the weight of outgoing M2 is reported as 1570kg 6MT [1595kg DCT] while the weight of M2C is reported as 1550kg 6MT [1575kg DCT].

weight gain is somewhat confirmed from BMW official IG
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
M3_WC
Brigadier General
870
Rep
3,524
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

No doubt it gained weight, it will be interesting to see an actual car on scales. It is a trade off for the better. Better cooling, stronger block, extra turbo adds weight. Good point above about the exhaust probably being a lot heavier. Even the larger brakes should add a little to weight, but that is for the better as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4461
Rep
3,573
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
There are CF hoods offered by Arma Speed and RKP. I couldn't find the weight figures of RKP but Arma Speed says it provides ~20lbs weight savings (9kg vs 18kg). Not sure if I like how it looks though. I will probably wait for BMW to release a CS or CSL model with CF pieces and retrofit OEM parts. You can also go for aluminum front fenders if and when they are available (on CS/L) but not sure it's really worth it.

Btw, there are conflicting weight figures across the web. On BMW Belgium's website, the weight of outgoing M2 is reported as 1570kg 6MT [1595kg DCT] while the weight of M2C is reported as 1550kg 6MT [1575kg DCT].

weight gain is somewhat confirmed from BMW official IG
Glad they confirmed it. Now I just want to know the weight distribution
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
chris719
Brigadier General
3298
Rep
3,674
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I think you should wait for someone to actually corner weigh a car. I am not arguing it will be heavier but many cars esp Porsche have large deviations from posted specs even considering state of fluids etc.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
SEAT TIME RULES
HAZMAT
SEAT TIME RULES's Avatar
344
Rep
533
Posts

Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: "Get Busy Living, or Get busy Dying"

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
W/O a corner balanced example I would focus on the easy inexpensive diet items. These two are no brainers for me

Order w/o Sunroof
6spd


Rear Seat Delete(professionally done w/ sound insulation)
5lb Antigravity battery

Approx 130-140 lbs weight reduction

Other possibles:
Track Seats w/ appropriate belts
Lighter exhaust
Roof and trunk (expensive!)

Seats would save about 50lbs

200 lbs pretty easy to shed...
__________________
2005-2006 BMWCCA Boston Chapter president
2004 Mazda Rev It Up Finalist
2002-Present HPDE Instructor
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #12
hellrotm
Major General
3027
Rep
6,411
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
W/O a corner balanced example I would focus on the easy inexpensive diet items. These two are no brainers for me

Order w/o Sunroof
6spd


Rear Seat Delete(professionally done w/ sound insulation)
5lb Antigravity battery

Approx 130-140 lbs weight reduction

Other possibles:
Track Seats w/ appropriate belts
Lighter exhaust
Roof and trunk (expensive!)

Seats would save about 50lbs

200 lbs pretty easy to shed...
Exhaust would be first and foremost(Plus who rolls on stock exhaust these days?). M2C exhaust is going from single path to dual path. Also the dual valve muffler looks much larger and heavier. For example stock M4 exhaust weighs 69lbs. Other exhaust systems can range from 26lbs savings for Mperf to 41lbs savings for BMS exhaust.

M2 single path(stock left)


M4 dual path(stock left)


Also note, some of the deeper tone of the N55 M2 comes from it having a single path exhaust. Active Autowerkes and BMS both make single path exhaust for the M4. They have a much deeper tone than stock.


AA Signature exhaust for M3/M4
Appreciate 4
BAN_M2C3170.50
norMcal275.50
KevM2300.00

      05-02-2018, 12:28 AM   #13
Yiruna
Captain
Yiruna's Avatar
United_States
374
Rep
656
Posts

Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
CSL Trunk from Agency Power
GTS CF Trunk
CF Roof
CF Wing for downforce
Carbon Revolution wheels (Wrapped in Matte Black)
Brembo Ceramic Brakes
Recaro seats (whatever the lightest is)
CF Mirror caps (Might as well with how much money we dropping)
CF GTS Front splitter for frontal down force
Whatever the lightest exhaust is.


Or just have some rich guy send his M2 to Speedkore to develope CF Panels for everything.
__________________
2018 MG M2 - Ohlins R
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
M1fortyeye
Private
147
Rep
92
Posts

Drives: m140
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #15
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Bluenose-2er's Avatar
525
Rep
763
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Halifax

iTrader: (0)

How about switching out the S55 for an N55?

Seriously though... I think the general expectation is that the weight gain is mostly in the front because of the heavier block, heavier cooling system, etc of the S55 and the fact that (the engine) is the only really significant change... as well as the associated exhaust, of course.

Lighter manual seats are a need for both the M2 and M2C.
Appreciate 2
Stage IV2692.00

      05-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
12027
Rep
10,194
Posts

Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fortyeye View Post
HS is definitely a lighter color than MG.
__________________
///M is art Artemis
Appreciate 2
BOhio175.50

      05-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #17
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4461
Rep
3,573
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

IND has some solutions.

BMW MOTORSPORT F22 M235IR RACE TRUNK- Couldn't find the weight saving info https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=41628417227


EDISON COMPOSITES F87 M2 CARBON GTS HOOD- 11.5kg or ~25lbs weight savings (6kg vs 18kg) https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=EC-A1008

Edit: Updated links.

Last edited by M-Pilot; 05-04-2018 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
M3_WC
Brigadier General
870
Rep
3,524
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Exhaust would be first and foremost(Plus who rolls on stock exhaust these days?). M2C exhaust is going from single path to dual path. Also the dual valve muffler looks much larger and heavier. For example stock M4 exhaust weighs 69lbs. Other exhaust systems can range from 26lbs savings for Mperf to 41lbs savings for BMS exhaust.

M2 single path(stock left)


M4 dual path(stock left)


Also note, some of the deeper tone of the N55 M2 comes from it having a single path exhaust. Active Autowerkes and BMS both make single path exhaust for the M4. They have a much deeper tone than stock.


AA Signature exhaust for M3/M4
I bet there is an easy 25-30lbs(maybe more) added by switching from single to dual, doubles everything. Plus the M2C muffler looks as big or bigger than the pic above of the M4 muffler. Also the new particulate filter will add weight to the exhaust. F8x owners have saved some easy weight by going aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #19
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4461
Rep
3,573
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I bet there is an easy 25-30lbs(maybe more) added by switching from single to dual, doubles everything. Plus the M2C muffler looks as big or bigger than the pic above of the M4 muffler. Also the new particulate filter will add weight to the exhaust. F8x owners have saved some easy weight by going aftermarket.
Even MPE saves 26lbs over stock exhaust on M3/M4 so I'm hopeful as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #20
Yiruna
Captain
Yiruna's Avatar
United_States
374
Rep
656
Posts

Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
IND has some solutions.

BMW MOTORSPORT F22 M235IR RACE TRUNK - Couldn't find the weight saving info

EDISON COMPOSITES F87 M2 CARBON GTS HOOD - 11.5kg or ~25lbs weight savings (6kg vs 18kg)
I'm surprised no one has made M2 door inserts ala M4 CS/GTS. I'd get those for my M2 if it was available.
__________________
2018 MG M2 - Ohlins R
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #21
RocketBoots
Lieutenant Colonel
RocketBoots's Avatar
United_States
1524
Rep
1,969
Posts

Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Diet, exercise, staying away from cheese steaks (although they are so yummy). That could save 50-100 lbs.

Tight fitting leather clothes, puma race shoes, carbon fiber belt buckle; that should get you that extra 10 lbs and 20 hp.
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
pal
Lieutenant
pal's Avatar
189
Rep
555
Posts

Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Diet, exercise, staying away from cheese steaks (although they are so yummy). That could save 50-100 lbs.

Tight fitting leather clothes, puma race shoes, carbon fiber belt buckle; that should get you that extra 10 lbs and 20 hp.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST