BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > F87 N55 PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo Build Journal | 529wHP / 542wTQ

04-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #23
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

And, congratulations on the front page news !

Appreciate 2
Endeav388.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      04-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #24
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Thanks for the kind words! Definitely take pride in being able to do this work myself, even if it means learning as I go lol.

As far as the EWG learning - I'm not 100% certain if this will work, but I've taken very good photos of the EWG position prior to removal as well as marked the EWG arm and adjusting nuts from where they were on the OEM turbo. I'm going to do my best to line them up when I get the turbo back and hope that it is enough to satisfy the DME.

If it isn't, I have access to ISTA at home so I could try it myself. Alternatively, I'm very close with my dealership and can just have them do the procedure for me using BMW ISTA. When I hit that part of the install, I'll definitely be sure to make note of it!

Appreciate it! I wish I had a picture of all the bags of bolts - I'll get one and upload it lol. Each and every bolt is labelled and thrown into individual zip-lock bags. Didn't want to mix anything up or lose anything!
Awesome. Please let us know if marking the EWG position method works or not. Curious to see if it can be done with that method.

I wrench on my own cars as well and I applaud anyone that does the same. I am getting quotes as we speak for an external 2 garage at my house so I can install a 2 post car lift.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #25
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

A lift in your garage changes the game!

But - then you will have all sorts of "friends." Like winning the lotto... haha
      04-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #26
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Great work. Good luck and have fun.

Is there a possibility to go wider than 275s on the rear tires?
275/30-19 Front
295/30-19 Rear

Fit perfectly on factory 437M with ZERO issues and mucho traction. Shorter sidewall is the difference in making this width work. At 80MPH (GPS), your speedo will read 2MPH high (82MPH).
Appreciate 2
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      04-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #27
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Love that your wrenching my friend! This is a real build, definitely appreciated!
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      04-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #28
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Man, that takes guts. I'll live through you!

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      04-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #29
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

What an amazing build! I'm in Brandon and can't wait to see this in person.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      04-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

SWEEEEEET!
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      04-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #31
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
nice build!
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      04-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #32
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Supra View Post
275/30-19 Front
295/30-19 Rear

Fit perfectly on factory 437M with ZERO issues and mucho traction. Shorter sidewall is the difference in making this width work. At 80MPH (GPS), your speedo will read 2MPH high (82MPH).
Nice! That will be super helpful to put the power down.
      04-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #33
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Salutations, from BC! Looks like it will be a blast once it's done.

Q: What are your intentions with the car, just street driving/highway pulls? Or some track time, eventually? Cheers,

D
      04-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #34
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Salutations, from BC! Looks like it will be a blast once it's done.

Q: What are your intentions with the car, just street driving/highway pulls? Or some track time, eventually? Cheers,

D
Definitely street driving / highway pulls just as much as track time. Our local road racing track isn't the most stellar track around, but we have to make do with what we have!

I was lucky enough to do 4 full track days last year in the M2 and it was a blast at stock power level. I definitely plan to track with the Pure Stage 2 turbo, but it'll be at a lower boost level. I can only imagine that the car would be quite the handful if I were to track with 500+ wHP - hence why I plan on turning the boost down for those days!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #35
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Definitely street driving / highway pulls just as much as track time. Our local road racing track isn't the most stellar track around, but we have to make do with what we have!

I was lucky enough to do 4 full track days last year in the M2 and it was a blast at stock power level. I definitely plan to track with the Pure Stage 2 turbo, but it'll be at a lower boost level. I can only imagine that the car would be quite the handful if I were to track with 500+ wHP - hence why I plan on turning the boost down for those days!
Awesome! Yea we have some smaller, rough, local track as well and I totally get it... Area27 opening a couple of years ago was truly a blessing for us car nuts, as the mountains are just as fun, but more dangerous of course.

I have a full track build taking place currently on my 2'er, and thought of doing PS2 and running low boost, as well, and the JB4's boost-by-gear from 1-3 (MT) as that would solve any overpowering scenerio's I'd be faced with, on R compounds and a fast track. I can't imagine the tighter tracks, running more than 380-400whp in the lower gears, it would be fun, but... lol

I assume you're keeping the JB4 as your boost/meth controller? That was my intention as well, even if I don't go PS2, but the BEF +JB4/meth on stock turbo at the very least.

Can't wait to see what this beast puts down, great job on the DIY, too, CLEAN work!
      04-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #36
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Awesome! Yea we have some smaller, rough, local track as well and I totally get it... Area27 opening a couple of years ago was truly a blessing for us car nuts, as the mountains are just as fun, but more dangerous of course.

I have a full track build taking place currently on my 2'er, and thought of doing PS2 and running low boost, as well, and the JB4's boost-by-gear from 1-3 (MT) as that would solve any overpowering scenerio's I'd be faced with, on R compounds and a fast track. I can't imagine the tighter tracks, running more than 380-400whp in the lower gears, it would be fun, but... lol

I assume you're keeping the JB4 as your boost/meth controller? That was my intention as well, even if I don't go PS2, but the BEF +JB4/meth on stock turbo at the very least.

Can't wait to see what this beast puts down, great job on the DIY, too, CLEAN work!
Yup! JB4 for boost and direct port methanol controller. Allows me to easily swap the boost level using Map 6, or even just running a smaller additive map on top of the BEF. Additionally keeps me quite safe should anything go awry with the methanol setup. I'll definitely keep the thread updated as I go through tuning / tracking the vehicle.

Our local track has one straight with a much tighter back-half, and you definitely wouldn't want anything much more than stock power for the back half. Like you said, it could be fun, but perhaps a little too much - especially for someone who isn't chasing lap times. Ideally once the car is fully dialed in I'd like to take it to Brainerd Raceway in Minnesota and get the full track experience.

Appreciate the kind words - thanks!
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      04-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #37
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yup! JB4 for boost and direct port methanol controller. Allows me to easily swap the boost level using Map 6, or even just running a smaller additive map on top of the BEF. Additionally keeps me quite safe should anything go awry with the methanol setup. I'll definitely keep the thread updated as I go through tuning / tracking the vehicle.

Our local track has one straight with a much tighter back-half, and you definitely wouldn't want anything much more than stock power for the back half. Like you said, it could be fun, but perhaps a little too much - especially for someone who isn't chasing lap times. Ideally once the car is fully dialed in I'd like to take it to Brainerd Raceway in Minnesota and get the full track experience.

Awesome man, and again great job! I hope you enjoy it for years to come
      04-19-2018, 12:31 AM   #38
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:

Why didn’t you keep BM3 and use it with the jb4? Will you be using ethanol? I do not want to use meth so I’m kinda interested to know why meth and not just ethanol?

Great car and thread will be following.
      04-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #39
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Why didn’t you keep BM3 and use it with the jb4? Will you be using ethanol? I do not want to use meth so I’m kinda interested to know why meth and not just ethanol?

Great car and thread will be following.
The only real reason for moving off BM3 and onto MHD is because of support with the JB4.

For port methanol injection you have two routes for a controller, AIC6 or JB4 - I went the JB4 route. Because of this I decided to go MHD for the flash route just because of how well it is supported by the creators of the JB4 - they're familiar with MHD and are able to provide a proper back end flash for the car since they know what the JB4 will be doing etc. Nothing against BM3 - if I had gone the AIC6 route I'd definitely be sticking with BM3.

I went methanol because I'm located in Canada. Unfortunately up here we don't have any ethanol mixture at the pumps. I'd have to buy E95 barrels, store them, and mix them at home. Not the most convenient and ideal situation.

Another factor was that the N55 has fueling issues up top once you go over a certain power level, and ethanol doesn't 100% fix that issue. You'll eventually reach a bottle-neck by trying to run JUST the OEM fueling setup. The only real way to get around that is some form of supplemental fueling in addition to the OEM HPFP - this can be direct port fuel injection (bigger LPFP), or direct port methanol injection. If you have access to ethanol the best way to go about this would definitely be direct port fueling and just running some form of ethanol mix in the gas tank!
Appreciate 1
ceedawg466.00
      04-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #40
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
The only real reason for moving off BM3 and onto MHD is because of support with the JB4.

For port methanol injection you have two routes for a controller, AIC6 or JB4 - I went the JB4 route. Because of this I decided to go MHD for the flash route just because of how well it is supported by the creators of the JB4 - they're familiar with MHD and are able to provide a proper back end flash for the car since they know what the JB4 will be doing etc. Nothing against BM3 - if I had gone the AIC6 route I'd definitely be sticking with BM3.

I went methanol because I'm located in Canada. Unfortunately up here we don't have any ethanol mixture at the pumps. I'd have to buy E95 barrels, store them, and mix them at home. Not the most convenient and ideal situation.

Another factor was that the N55 has fueling issues up top once you go over a certain power level, and ethanol doesn't 100% fix that issue. You'll eventually reach a bottle-neck by trying to run JUST the OEM fueling setup. The only real way to get around that is some form of supplemental fueling in addition to the OEM HPFP - this can be direct port fuel injection (bigger LPFP), or direct port methanol injection. If you have access to ethanol the best way to go about this would definitely be direct port fueling and just running some form of ethanol mix in the gas tank!
Who's your tuner? I know you have MHD, but who will custom tune it. Twisted Tuning?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #41
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
Who's your tuner? I know you have MHD, but who will custom tune it. Twisted Tuning?

Thanks.
Going to have Terry@BMS dial everything in once the Fuel-It Methanol PI is on.

Turbo should arrive sometime this afternoon. Fuel-It Methanol PI will arrive Monday. I'll hopefully have everything turbo-related bolted on late this evening assuming everything is in the one box from PureTurbos!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #42
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

As for BEF, something funny - My buddy of 2013 335i AWD PWG on PS2+meth+PI, broke 1/4 mile record in early 2017 at Fast4Ward, the biggest drag racing event national wide in China. His time was 11.11@125mph, which is still the second best all time N55 record.

The BEF he used is BM3 OTS STG2 of late 2016, a very early version that's not remotely perfect, and the funny part is he didn't even bother flash newer versions since then... Yet he has the perfect log.

What I'm trying to get at is you don't need a perfect BEF to perfectly push that hard. On the other hand, not pushing hard, flash alone can meet your goal

Good luck with meth with BMS!
ceedawg466.00
      04-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #43
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
As for BEF, something funny - My buddy of 2013 335i AWD PWG on PS2+meth+PI, broke 1/4 mile record in early 2017 at Fast4Ward, the biggest drag racing event national wide in China. His time was 11.11@125mph, which is still the second best all time N55 record.

The BEF he used is BM3 OTS STG2 of late 2016, a very early version that's not remotely perfect, and the funny part is he didn't even bother flash newer versions since then... Yet he has the perfect log.

What I'm trying to get at is you don't need a perfect BEF to perfectly push that hard. On the other hand, not pushing hard, flash alone can meet your goal

Good luck with meth with BMS!
Thats very interesting. BM3 ftw
      04-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #44
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Turbo arrived on Friday, went to work immediately to get it all bolted on. It took about 5 hours to get it bolted back on the vehicle. Everything went quite smoothly with only the inlet pipe slowing us down!

Comparison of Compressor...

Comparison of Turbine...

Here are some more progress pictures...

So far I've just been running the MHD (BMS) BEF and the JB4 in Map 3 with a methanol additive of 75 (around 19.5 psi max). I don't want to run the turbo too hard just yet. My N20 TMAP sensor arrives Monday along with my direct port methanol injection kit. Once those are on the car (hopefully Monday evening) I'll be able to push the car some more and get rid of the boost taper and truly feel what this turbo is capable of.

Expect more pictures to follow of the next couple installs and then I'll be sure to document the tuning process as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Awesome. Please let us know if marking the EWG position method works or not. Curious to see if it can be done with that method.

I wrench on my own cars as well and I applaud anyone that does the same. I am getting quotes as we speak for an external 2 garage at my house so I can install a 2 post car lift.
Marking the EWG adjustment nuts before removal as well as taking HD pictures of the EWG arm and counting the threads definitely does work. The EWG position code didn't pop up on first start, and hasn't in 24 hours! Safe to say that this method works and ISTA isn't exactly needed.

Last edited by Endeav; 04-21-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 5
SeanWRT3179.00
65lim23.50
AndrewC198910903.50
skiparock182.50