BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > (MotorTrend) 2017 Camaro LT 1LE vs. 2017 M2 - Head 2 Head

03-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #23
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Daaamn Motor Trend, back at it again comparing cars nobody would ever cross shop.

Nobody who appreciates fine engineering would be caught dead in a mullet muskle car.
Appreciate 2
Bosozoku693.50
Vervain396.50
      03-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #24
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Just an M2 tangent here -

I feel BMW is going to screw early M2 owners royally. I'm guessing a ZCP version with carbon fiber roof is in the works.

Aren't they already using the S55 in the LCI or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #25
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
These guys are the worst auto journalists on the planet. They said the car doesn't have MDM and that you can't disable throttle blipping.

WRONG! Get over your fear of the traction control button and you'll discover that you can indeed use MDM mode and also turn DSC off and disable throttle blipping.

Of course, if they were competent enough to do that, then they wouldn't need to use stunt drivers for the drifting portions of the show. Ever wonder why they blur the windows during those shots? It ain't Johnny Liebermann hanging the back end out, that's for sure.
Traction Control Off != MDM

I drive with DSC off when I'm at the track, but that's actually the time when I would want throttle blipping ON.

Around town, I can heal-toe like a master but on the track, when at the last moment you're taking the inside line in a corner and you're 3-wide trying to down-shift. At that moment, I wouldn't mind it if the car did the throttle blip for me.

The point is, to each his own, and BMW should have made a button to toggle it on and off without toggling other things on and off.
Pretty sure you're not going 3 wide into a corner at a track day. If you're W2W racing, you better know how to blip your own throttle under those conditions.
      03-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #26
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post

I feel BMW is going to screw early M2 owners royally. I'm guessing a ZCP version with carbon fiber roof is in the works.

There will always be something newer and better coming out. I'm sure the early M2s will still put plenty of smiles on faces
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 3
      03-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #27
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
These guys are the worst auto journalists on the planet. They said the car doesn't have MDM and that you can't disable throttle blipping.

WRONG! Get over your fear of the traction control button and you'll discover that you can indeed use MDM mode and also turn DSC off and disable throttle blipping.

Of course, if they were competent enough to do that, then they wouldn't need to use stunt drivers for the drifting portions of the show. Ever wonder why they blur the windows during those shots? It ain't Johnny Liebermann hanging the back end out, that's for sure.
I'm quite familiar with that track. Thank GOD Randy Pobst is on staff. The line those 2 guys were taking (And they always say, slow or fast take your line) is awful. Hopefully nobody is watching them and thinking that's where you put the car.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      03-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #28
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
I'm quite familiar with that track. Thank GOD Randy Pobst is on staff. The line those 2 guys were taking (And they always say, slow or fast take your line) is awful. Hopefully nobody is watching them and thinking that's where you put the car.
Also, Randy doesn't squeal like a 12 year old schoolgirl when he talks.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #29
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:

I think the values of the '16/17 cars will stabilize after the LCI. They will bump up a bit when that CSL/GT4 whatever version comes out because it will be at least 20k more than I spent for mine. I don't feel screwed at all. At that price point, a year old 991 or my favorite 997 GTS would be in my sites. Plus few will get that top M2 for MSRP. So we're at 30k difference but I have full maintenance. I'm good.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #30
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

This is pointless. Anyone who is considering the M2 would never buy a V6 Camaro. However, the V8 Camaro would whip up on the M2 in every possible way so I guess that is not a fair comparison either.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #31
AmazingJr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

I hate MotorTrend more than any car other journalists. Their reviews are always ridiculous, they don't compare cars that make sense to compete with each other and they consistently hate on BMW and favor American cars just because they are from the US. Plus that douche with the beard drives me nuts. Annoying.

N54Tuning Dowpipes
MMP Inlets
Eisenmann Race Exhaust with mid cat delete
AMS Intercooler
BMS Chargepipe with dual Forge BOV
Ohlins Road and Track (Vorshlag camber plates)
M3 control arms
Rear Subframe Bushings
OCC and RB PCV
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #32
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingJr View Post
that douche with the beard drives me nuts. Annoying.
That douche is a certified no-talent ass-clown. Johnny Lieberman is his name and he single handedly negates the little credibility MT has.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #33
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
I respect the camaro because it is a ridiculously good performance car however it looks like a beefed up, meat head version of a Scion tC.
Savage
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #34
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Sorry, buying a Camaro with a v6 should be illegal. Same for a 2 wheel drive Jeep. The V8 1LE is what should have been compared.

Edit: front wheel drive BMWs should also be illegal.
Appreciate 3
SW192441.50
Transfer5242.50
      03-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I don't like these two guys. They're into the brand of overdone journalism that has them squealing like schoolgirls at a nail party, they're not very good drivers and they are biased.

They should just move in together and start a motor sports oriented cupcake shop or something.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #36
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Quote:

That's like saying the M3/M4 owners are screwed for not waiting for the LCI version when all it is is new headlight and tails...maybe iDrive 6.0 and even then the idrive 5.0 is still great.

I doubt the M2 will be that much of a change. maybe the new S55 with the same HP, or oOoO...a CF roof. That is like getting new headlights and taillights...OoOo.

As someone already stated, there will always be something new and improved. It's like asking "do you feel screwed not waiting for a 2018 F80 witht he new LCI lights and black seat logos?" Well then...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #37
AmazingJr
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Quote:
that douche with the beard drives me nuts. Annoying.
That douche is a certified no-talent ass-clown. Johnny Lieberman is his name and he single handedly negates the little credibility MT has.
Yes exactly, he makes a fool of the entire show. I actually liked Carlos. I just couldn't watch because of him Johnny lol oh well

N54Tuning Dowpipes
MMP Inlets
Eisenmann Race Exhaust with mid cat delete
AMS Intercooler
BMS Chargepipe with dual Forge BOV
Ohlins Road and Track (Vorshlag camber plates)
M3 control arms
Rear Subframe Bushings
OCC and RB PCV
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #38
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Yes exactly, he makes a fool of the entire show. I actually liked Carlos. I just couldn't watch because of him Johnny lol oh well
Carlos is tops. Perhaps he's too objective, level headed, and downright knowledgeable for MT to use him for these head to heads.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #39
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Daaamn Motor Trend, back at it again comparing cars nobody would ever cross shop.

Nobody who appreciates fine engineering would be caught dead in a mullet muskle car.
On paper, the cars are almost identical.. so why not compare them? I appreciate engineering and I'm not a brand-whore like you seem to be, so I'd cross-shop these two vehicles. The SS 1LE is an incredible car that also beat out the M4. Just because their brand-base is usually a bit different doesn't mean they can't be cross-shopped. Just a stupid statement to make.

Quote:
I hate MotorTrend more than any car other journalists. Their reviews are always ridiculous, they don't compare cars that make sense to compete with each other and they consistently hate on BMW and favor American cars just because they are from the US. Plus that douche with the beard drives me nuts. Annoying.
I dislike them as well, I think they point out all the wrong things when comparing cars. I only watch for Randy Pobst's thoughts.
Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111224.00
      03-15-2017, 11:16 PM   #40
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

On paper, the cars are almost identical.. so why not compare them? I appreciate engineering and I'm not a brand-whore like you seem to be, so I'd cross-shop these two vehicles. The SS 1LE is an incredible car that also beat out the M4. Just because their brand-base is usually a bit different doesn't mean they can't be cross-shopped. Just a stupid statement to make.

Quote:
I dislike them as well, I think they point out all the wrong things when comparing cars. I only watch for Randy Pobst's thoughts.
I don't necessarily disagree with what you say (I also own a 16' Camaro 2SS for fun) but the two cars are not really comparable on paper. Namely the nearly $15-20k difference. Now if we were talking about V8 1LE it would be a better match up despite the nearly $10k difference. However, performance metrics pretty close I guess.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #41
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
This is pointless. Anyone who is considering the M2 would never buy a V6 Camaro. However, the V8 Camaro would whip up on the M2 in every possible way so I guess that is not a fair comparison either.
That is my dilemma, I've ordered an M2 but that Camaro SS with the 6.2 is getting great reviews so I want to test it to see.

I drive a 7 series so I favor BMW as a brand but spending $12K more to get a car that doesn't match the Camaro SS performance has got me questioning my decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #42
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Actually just cancelled my subscription to MT On Demand. These guys have become unwatchable.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0