BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins knocking

04-10-2020, 04:30 AM   #89
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

This might be of interest to anyone with the dull knock at very low speed. I installed my Ohlins R&T a few days ago and straight away driving up my paved driveway (moderate incline) I had continual low volume knocking up front then some louder knocks as the front wheels went out onto the road (which I do carefully otherwise the car bottoms out). Reversing back down the drive I had the same knocking, driving forwards down the drive no knocking. Also no knocking driving on road, over speed bumps nor any issues on smooth concrete carpark surface. Problem seemed to be a combination of low speed, small undulations on road surface and low compression on suspension.

Anyway after a bit of stuffing around I discovered the cause of my knocking was slight movement of the springs when the top hats are rotating. With the wheels off, turning lock to lock there was a knock noise from the left spring every time it turned through the same spot. Using my hand I applied some side force to the spring as I pulled/pushed the steering through a full lock to lock. The spring noise was now gone. Wheels back on and driving up the driveway no knocking but did have a couple of very faint knocks as wheels went over onto road, but now very quiet compared to what they had been, hard to tell if it's left/right or both. If there is no further change in the next week or so I'll try moving the right spring while turning steering through it's range.

This probably explains why the oem springs have the big rubber seats at each end and the recess to hold the spring end. The flat ended Ohlins springs sitting on a flat plastic/rubber seat might be prone to slight movement at low compression until they settle into 'their' position. Another fix might be to increase pre-load but the downside of that I think would be a firmer spring rate at it's initial compression point.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #90
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Lightbulb Bad bushings in Ohlins dampers

My knocking noise has finally been resolved!

I purchased and installed Ohlins R&T suspension in my 2017 M2 in April 2019. Immediately I noticed banging and knocking noises going over small bumps, when reversing, etc. and lived with the noises for 8 months since installation. I contacted Ohlins USA early this year and spoke with Brian Fowler and described the noises I was experiencing and even shared a link to this very thread! Brian advised he felt it might be the bushings within the front dampers and asked me to send them in.

After they were returned to me in March, I noticed the invoice had a comment that read, "Changed bushings. Checked internals and changed oil as part of a full inspection. Products amended as one-time customer goodwill." I called back to Ohlins and spoke to the service technician who had actually worked on my dampers, Carl Atkinson, and asked exactly what was done. He explained that Ohlins had put a new style bushing in their R&T dampers that was causing the knocks and bangs, and he simply replaced the bushings with the old style that were known to perform without issue.

The rebuilt front dampers have been reinstalled in my car for almost a month now and I haven't experienced any of the knocks or banging I was previously. I would say problem solved.

I'm still a bit pissed at Ohlins for having to pay my installer to remove and re-install my dampers and have another alignment done. I can't believe Ohlins had the balls to write, "one-time customer goodwill" on my invoice when it was clearly a warranty issue for a problem they were aware of and they should be reimbursing me (and everyone else) for labor charges!

Anyway, if you choose to go the same route you'll need to call and get a warranty form to complete to send yours in. Turnaround time from the time they received them to them shipping them back out was only a week. Timeframe of your purchase might be of importance if you are experiencing similar issues as I'm guessing there was a manufacturing period where they used the bad bushings before switching back to the old style.
Attached Images

Last edited by nothingman; 04-13-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 8
MR RIZK756.50
David.m431.00
gphung193.50
chris7197273.00
x233284.00
redgs4320.00
Fabb227.50
      04-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #91
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

nothingman thanks for posting the information and confirming what others have concluded to in this thread. I'm an Ohlins fan, used them on previous rides, and was my go to for the M2C however this thread steered me away. I just couldn't risk going through the issues especially when we don't have the same type of Ohlins support in Australia. Ended up going with a set of MCS instead costing twice as much.

I cannot believe Ohlins are not just reverting back to the old sleeve moving forward.

I know you are pissed that you had additional out of pocket expenses. The reality is no vendor will comp u for this. Just be happy u caught it sorta early and now u will drive the car without regretting u bought the coilovers.

So really just a thank you for letting us know.
chris7197273.00
x233284.00
      04-12-2020, 04:09 AM   #92
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Thanks for the update! Do you think they’ve switched back to the old bushings? I’m definitely going to avoid them in the future if they didn’t switch back...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #93
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Good to see theres finally a resolution to this... maybe Ill take mine out and send them in to get this shit fixed....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #94
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Did anyone else switch back to the old bushings?
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:15 AM   #95
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Yes mine were done under warranty.
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      10-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #96
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Quote:
Yes mine were done under warranty.
I think I've seen your car on the M Club Australia FB group, I'm interested to hear your take on the ohlins on Australian roads. Im considering going the 80/160 spring rates but haven't seen many people comment on that spring rate. I don't daily the car and only really do a weekend blast up through the hills and possibly 1-2 track days a year.

I also saw you had issues on the M club page and also after seeing this thread I actually reached out to the local distributor. This was his response FYI.

"You are correct regarding the front knocking noise with some of the early production units.

Ohlins had developed a new long life strut bush which they were very happy with (FYI .. this bush is yellow in colour) but later found that in some applications, the bush would allow the strut to produce a slight knocking noise.

We have already replaced a couple of sets of the M2 bushes, and now all of our stock, and that of the Ohlins Asian distribution centre, have product fitted with the updated bushes.

So all good now !"
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #97
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I think I've seen your car on the M Club Australia FB group..........
Yes I'm in the M Club FB group (great people and events)

I know another member here wasn't happy with the Ohlins AU distributor but have to say my experience could not have been better.

My spring rates are 78/160Nm, no question it's firmer than oem but also no doubt the ride is more compliant and you don't move around in the drivers seat as much over poor surfaces (at either city speed limits or country). The biggest improvement I think is out on our country roads, bottoming out in the rear and the violent rebound was a guaranteed event, mid corner at speed was scary! I won't say it's never bottomed out with the Ohlins but certainly the severe rebound is gone, there's no sense the rear is being catapulted into the air and you coming out of the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #98
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Just more of a data point than anything, Ohlins USA replaced my wife's front dampener bushings with the same part number as @Nothingman showed in his invoice. They did not write good will on mine and didn't even ask for CC or anything.

A quick test drive shows the noise is now gone. I'll have to get an alignment once I confirm the height is where it was originally.

I shipped them out 10/15, got them back yesterday 10/28. All in all, about 9 Business days due to shipping ground being across the country.

I'm glad this is finally resolved as it's been annoying me every time I get into the car.
Appreciate 2
Rundskop145.00
      11-01-2020, 01:18 AM   #99
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Just more of a data point than anything, Ohlins USA replaced my wife's front dampener bushings with the same part number as @Nothingman showed in his invoice. They did not write good will on mine and didn't even ask for CC or anything.

A quick test drive shows the noise is now gone. I'll have to get an alignment once I confirm the height is where it was originally.

I shipped them out 10/15, got them back yesterday 10/28. All in all, about 9 Business days due to shipping ground being across the country.

I'm glad this is finally resolved as it's been annoying me every time I get into the car.
Thanks for the update - I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get this done. Unrelated, I upgraded to aftermarket brake pads which have added another set of clicks on low speed forward / reverse. <sigh> This is as expected, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #100
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
Thanks for the update - I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get this done. Unrelated, I upgraded to aftermarket brake pads which have added another set of clicks on low speed forward / reverse. <sigh> This is as expected, though.
I would contact Ohlins and see if you can talk to someone to ensure the rebuild time is not delayed. The original email I had with Ohlins service was on a 2week backlog Pre-COVID.

On the topic of brake pad clicks between reverse/forward motions, that happens with most brake pads regardless if it is OE or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #101
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
I would contact Ohlins and see if you can talk to someone to ensure the rebuild time is not delayed. The original email I had with Ohlins service was on a 2week backlog Pre-COVID.

On the topic of brake pad clicks between reverse/forward motions, that happens with most brake pads regardless if it is OE or not.
Absolutely, I am not pulling the Ohlins without getting a committed turn-around first. A short time ago they were giving 2-4 week window to get the work done.

I knew the new pads would click - it just makes the Ohlins knocking less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #102
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
If the new pad doesn't have the pad shim remove the oem shim and transfer to the new pad and the click should disappear.
      11-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #103
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I also have knocking sound on my passenger side tower towards the top... not sure why. everything was 100% installed correctly and double checked. but yet its there. I have learned to live with it.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #104
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

What PN of the shock should I be concerned? I just got a set and not sure if they're fitted with old or newer bushings?
      10-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #105
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Has anyone from Canada had this bushing swap service performed on their Ohlins R&T? If so, did you have to ship the struts over to Ohlins USA, or some place within Canada? I suspect even if the repair work gets covered, I'm still going to out a significant amount due to shipping.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:48 AM   #106
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Update, went through the warranty process despite technically being out of the limited warranty period. The repair was covered and so was the return shipping. Will confirm if it fixed anything when I reinstall them in spring.
Appreciate 1
FreeDarko217.00
      12-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #107
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
What PN of the shock should I be concerned? I just got a set and not sure if they're fitted with old or newer bushings?
All currently shipments have the newer bushings. PM us if you need a set.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 09:00 PM   #108
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Just had my ohlins and millway* camber plates installed by a reputable shop and I get this clanking sound while turning the wheel near full lock. Sounds like the spring? It causes the wheel to drift that direction until I "clank" it the other way. I will be taking the car back to the installers, but curious someone else has experienced this or could help so I can point them in the right direction. Appreciate any input.

https://streamable.com/u7ly37
Appreciate 1
Rundskop145.00
      04-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #109
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Just had my ohlins and milltek camber plates installed by a reputable shop and I get this clanking sound while turning the wheel near full lock. Sounds like the spring? It causes the wheel to drift that direction until I "clank" it the other way. I will be taking the car back to the installers, but curious someone else has experienced this or could help so I can point them in the right direction. Appreciate any input.

Had no idea Milltek makes camber plates. I thought they only made exhaust systems. Is there a radial bearing in the upper spring perch? If there isn't, the spring could bind and finally releases itself. Same when going in the other direction. If no radial bearing, add Swift thrust sheets to both and bottom of the front springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:23 AM   #110
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by filet.M2c View Post
Just had my ohlins and milltek camber plates installed by a reputable shop and I get this clanking sound while turning the wheel near full lock. Sounds like the spring? It causes the wheel to drift that direction until I "clank" it the other way. I will be taking the car back to the installers, but curious someone else has experienced this or could help so I can point them in the right direction. Appreciate any input.

Had no idea Milltek makes camber plates. I thought they only made exhaust systems. Is there a radial bearing in the upper spring perch? If there isn't, the spring could bind and finally releases itself. Same when going in the other direction. If no radial bearing, add Swift thrust sheets to both and bottom of the front springs.
Millway* it's been a long day haha. Not sure about the radial bearing. Will have to ask the installers. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0