BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > ED and Final Re-Delivery Experience

11-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

ED and Final Re-Delivery Experience

The seemingly never ending wait for the car to be re-delivered after the ED experience is finally over and my car arrived at the local dealership yesterday afternoon!

Been looking forward to finally post my own thread covering my experience with the ED process, so here goes.

Summary of ED Timeline:
10/1 - Picked up car at Welt
10/9 - Dropped off car at Log-In-Out/BLG Logistics at Munich Airport
10/16 - Car scheduled to be put on RCC Europe and scheduled to leave Bremerhaven on this day
10/28 - Current estimated arrival date at Baltimore Port for customs and BMW's VDC
10/30 - Actual arrival at port of Baltimore
11/18 - Arrival at local dealership and took re-delivery

Part of the trip and experience were certainly stressful - from driving in traffic in crowded European cities (especially with Munich during Oktoberfest), to the unknowns of where the car is at any point in the transportation process to the USA - but all things considered, it truly was the trip of a lifetime. I recommend to anyone that may be on the fence with doing ED vs. standard ordering a car to spec/buying off the lot from current inventory should go with ED.

I plan on creating a full journal of my experience on the trip and tracking the car's progress with some minor modifications (mostly aesthetic) when I have some more time later on, but wanted to post something quick while I had a few minutes. As mentioned above, the waiting game was really hard towards the end, but in looking back, BMW estimated 6 - 8 weeks for re-delivery to the Midwest, and absent some minor damage during transport, it was looking like the car could have made it within just over 4 weeks. The last couple weeks were tough, and I actually had no idea it had even left the VDC, to be pleasantly surprised when I received a picture of the car at the dealer yesterday from my SA. If there's anyone in the St. Louis area that's considering an ED trip, I couldn't say enough good things about my experience with BMW of West St. Louis, who while was pretty new to coordinating an ED order, did a fabulous job every step of the way.

Attaching a couple pictures I received from the SA as well as a picture of the car in her new home with the E46M.
Name:  F87_M2C_BMW_of_West_STL.jpg
Views: 5145
Size:  425.0 KB
Name:  F87_M2C_and_E46_M3.JPG
Views: 1310
Size:  260.1 KB

Cheers!
Appreciate 3
      11-20-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2015 LR4 HSE Lux + HD  [0.00]
1965 Shelby Cobra 4 ...  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
That is a crazy short turnaround time, as you noted. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

CONGRATUALTIONS! I am so jealous. I dropped mine off in Zurich on 9/13 and it hit the Port of Brunswick 11/4 and no one can give me any update on what status my vehicle is in at the VPC.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM162.50
      11-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

congrats on the purchase! mine is identical to yours. I did ED in early June. I know the wait is very frustrating once you drop off the car. I too was lucky. My car was dropped off at Munich airport on 6/14 and it arrived at the dealer on 7/16. 32 days!
Appreciate 2
Thescout134944.00
ROASTM162.50
      11-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Congrats! I did ED at the end of August/early September and dropped mine off 9/4. It hit port in Cali on 10/17. Got to dealer on 11/14.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
brandontrek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, S54 E36/8 M Coupe, X5d

You took delivery the day before we did! Ours will also be sharing garage space with an E46M

My friends who were with us also live in the STL area.

Appreciate 2
ROASTM162.50
      11-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

I decided to take a drive to the dealership to find mine sitting on the lot with the ED Plates still on. Just sucks BMW Special Sales and my dealership couldn't communicate with me the status of my car or let me know it arrived. But it only took 10 weeks
Appreciate 1
ROASTM162.50
      11-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
That is a crazy short turnaround time, as you noted. Congrats!
Thanks! Still crazy to me that I just happened to see your car at the Munich drop off - what are the chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somberlaine View Post
congrats on the purchase! mine is identical to yours. I did ED in early June. I know the wait is very frustrating once you drop off the car. I too was lucky. My car was dropped off at Munich airport on 6/14 and it arrived at the dealer on 7/16. 32 days!
That is a super short timeline! Probably the quickest turnaround I've read about through the various forums. The wait was miserable but I wouldn't change a thing and would do ED all over again (hopefully in the next couple years when the wife gets a new ride) - though I would probably wrap the bumper and part of the hood with something to prevent any chips in Germany prior to PPF when returning home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Congrats! I did ED at the end of August/early September and dropped mine off 9/4. It hit port in Cali on 10/17. Got to dealer on 11/14.
Thanks - hope you are enjoying the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontrek View Post
You took delivery the day before we did! Ours will also be sharing garage space with an E46M

My friends who were with us also live in the STL area.
That's awesome! Absolutely beautiful LSB - when I was searching for my E46M about 10 years ago, I waited a year for the right LSB one to surface, but it sadly never happened - got impatient and settled with a Jet Black CPO with lots of Dinan goodies. If only the M2C was eligible for individual paint colors... mine would most definitely have been painted LSB.

Also - that's awesome that you were there with some STL folks! Hopefully I'll see them around town or at the local C&Cs next spring - there surprisingly aren't too many M2C's driving around here, so the chances are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRoman View Post
I decided to take a drive to the dealership to find mine sitting on the lot with the ED Plates still on. Just sucks BMW Special Sales and my dealership couldn't communicate with me the status of my car or let me know it arrived. But it only took 10 weeks
That is pretty unbelievable that they didn't let you know the second it arrived - though, maybe it did just show up the day you took the drive up there? Either way, congrats and glad it made it home!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dropped my car at the PPF installer this morning for full XPEL ultimate wrap, and unfortunately got some bad news (always has to be something, right?).

See the pics below, but the PPF installer calls me and lets me know that there is some damage to the paint that was hidden behind the ED front license plate (which I had requested my dealer to remain ON the car if it in fact showed up from the VDC with it still installed w/ the 3M double sided tape).

The installer is very reputable in my area, and stressed that the damage was not caused from the adhesive or during removal of the plate, and they are pretty certain it must've been there before the ED plate was even mounted at the Welt/Leipzig. It's as if the car bumped into something before the plate was on, and they mounted the plate anyway without fixing it, or it bumped something during the transportation process, presumably multiple times, that caused the front ED plate to grind against the paint through the clear coat and paint down to the what I assume is plastic.

Name:  M2C - Front Bumper - Paint Damage (2 of 2).jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  509.0 KB

Obviously it's not the end of the world, and unlikely the car was in some significant incident, but certainly not thrilled with the hoops I'm going to need to jump through to get this taken care of. It's been 14 days since I picked the car up for re-delivery, and in that time it's accrued 15 miles (1.5 miles home from dealer at re-delivery and 13.5 miles from home to the PPF installer), and the car came in contact with no other cars or foreign objects in that time, or during the miles I put on the car during the ED trip.

I've reached out to the main BMW ED email address to obtain information regarding what the original "minor trim damage" related to, and to get an understanding for what my next steps should be. I am pretty much 100% against having the bumper refinished and then resprayed, which would presumably need to be blended into the left front fender and/or the hood, and I don't trust a typical body shop to be able to blend LBB paint all that well. I guess leaves me with wanting a pre-painted new bumper in LBB shipped to St. Louis and installed at the BMW dealership, but who knows if this will be something I can get them to do to make things right - my understanding is that the plastic bumpers and trim bits are painted separately from the rest of the metal body anyway, but I could be wrong.

Obviously these are first world problems, and I feel like an entitled a**hole in some ways, but then again - this was a brand new $65k vehicle, and $70k if you throw in the PPF that's in process of being installed, so it's hard for me to just let it go. I also reached out to my SA at the dealership, who was understanding and as helpful as he could be, and mentioned he'd make some calls and see what he can do.

Will report back with any updates on how BMW or the dealership is going to address the issue.

Last edited by ROASTM; 12-02-2019 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: EDIT: Picture is rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #10
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Congrats on the European Delivery. There is not better way to purchase a brand new BMW.

I have only owned 2 BMW's and done 2 European Deliveries on both purchases. I'm definitely hooked and would never walk into a BMW dealership and drive a new bmw off the lot.
Appreciate 2
ROASTM162.50
bobert858.50
      12-10-2019, 01:01 AM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Dropped my car at the PPF installer this morning for full XPEL ultimate wrap, and unfortunately got some bad news (always has to be something, right?).

See the pics below, but the PPF installer calls me and lets me know that there is some damage to the paint that was hidden behind the ED front license plate (which I had requested my dealer to remain ON the car if it in fact showed up from the VDC with it still installed w/ the 3M double sided tape).

The installer is very reputable in my area, and stressed that the damage was not caused from the adhesive or during removal of the plate, and they are pretty certain it must've been there before the ED plate was even mounted at the Welt/Leipzig. It's as if the car bumped into something before the plate was on, and they mounted the plate anyway without fixing it, or it bumped something during the transportation process, presumably multiple times, that caused the front ED plate to grind against the paint through the clear coat and paint down to the what I assume is plastic.

Attachment 2191493

Obviously it's not the end of the world, and unlikely the car was in some significant incident, but certainly not thrilled with the hoops I'm going to need to jump through to get this taken care of. It's been 14 days since I picked the car up for re-delivery, and in that time it's accrued 15 miles (1.5 miles home from dealer at re-delivery and 13.5 miles from home to the PPF installer), and the car came in contact with no other cars or foreign objects in that time, or during the miles I put on the car during the ED trip.

I've reached out to the main BMW ED email address to obtain information regarding what the original "minor trim damage" related to, and to get an understanding for what my next steps should be. I am pretty much 100% against having the bumper refinished and then resprayed, which would presumably need to be blended into the left front fender and/or the hood, and I don't trust a typical body shop to be able to blend LBB paint all that well. I guess leaves me with wanting a pre-painted new bumper in LBB shipped to St. Louis and installed at the BMW dealership, but who knows if this will be something I can get them to do to make things right - my understanding is that the plastic bumpers and trim bits are painted separately from the rest of the metal body anyway, but I could be wrong.

Obviously these are first world problems, and I feel like an entitled a**hole in some ways, but then again - this was a brand new $65k vehicle, and $70k if you throw in the PPF that's in process of being installed, so it's hard for me to just let it go. I also reached out to my SA at the dealership, who was understanding and as helpful as he could be, and mentioned he'd make some calls and see what he can do.

Will report back with any updates on how BMW or the dealership is going to address the issue.
I think you're more likely to get a brand new car than a new bumper that's factory painted.

One way or another your bumper will need to get painted. They may not need to blend.

More bad news though, you don't want to ppf anything freshly non factory painted. Factory heats up the painted surface enough to off gasses quickly. A non factory paint job the clear will still be curing for a while and if you ppf too early then it will rip the clear off if the ppf is removed. Wait at least 30 days after it's painted. More time if the car is in a cold environment.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM162.50
      12-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I think you're more likely to get a brand new car than a new bumper that's factory painted.

One way or another your bumper will need to get painted. They may not need to blend.

More bad news though, you don't want to ppf anything freshly non factory painted. Factory heats up the painted surface enough to off gasses quickly. A non factory paint job the clear will still be curing for a while and if you ppf too early then it will rip the clear off if the ppf is removed. Wait at least 30 days after it's painted. More time if the car is in a cold environment.
Thanks for the reply - I agree with you, unfortunately, and I'm obviously not getting a new car (nor would I ever ask for that, with it being an ED). Still figured I'd reach for best case scenario and see what they negotiate down to within reason though.

Agreed with the PPF on anything freshly painted and not from the factory. While the PPF installer said a couple days would be good enough and he could get the bumper wrapped up, I'll be waiting at least 30 days after it would presumably be repainted, plus it's pretty cold here in St. Louis this time of the year. Thankfully I don't really need to drive the car anytime before spring, but don't want to share that detail with the dealer/BMW until we reach a resolution. I'm just extremely OCD and concerned with the color match, being LBB - and fully aware that even from the factory, the paint on the plastic bumpers vs. the metal is short of a perfect match.

Funny enough, the dealer just got a brand new LBB M2C in their inventory in the last couple weeks, and I'm going to see if they want to swap the bumpers on mine and their inventory car - another total shot in the dark and I'm sure they won't oblige, but still going to throw it out there. If their recommended shop for the respray is so good, it should be good enough for the inventory car, right??
Appreciate 0