BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > F87 N55 PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo Build Journal | 529wHP / 542wTQ

07-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #89
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisiface View Post
Had a blast reading through this thread! Awesome job!

Curious to see if you’ve hit the dyno yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdeuce View Post
Can't wait for dyno results!
Hopefully hit the dyno sometime before the end of summer.

Just started tuning with JordanTuned (CaryTheLabelGuy) with BM3 / JB4. He plans on basically running "full flash" with the JB4 as a PI controller. For the longest time I've wanted to do this but was unaware of anyone who was willing to do so - mostly due to some peoples unfamiliarity with the JB4, however Cary has done this already on @lol30ff (Instagram) car with E85 and JB4 PI. This should result in more power and an overall better scenario given that the DME and DCT work so closely together.

I will say that the reason for the switch is purely preference. I had zero issues with the JB4/MHD stack - I'd just like to get something more specifically tailored for the vehicle and my fuel.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #90
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
+1 on the dyno. Let's see this puppy put some numbers down 👌🏻
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      07-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #91
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Just got my first map from Cary today and did a few logs. He dropped the boost just a tad from where I was running with JB4/MHD and raised the timing by about a degree or two compared to what I was running previously - but again this is just version 1.0! Have to say I'm sold already - I know this is pretty anecdotal but the power delivery is so much smoother than with the JB4/MHD stack, especially in the part throttle region / city driving.

Having the JB4 in conjunction with BM3 is actually quite an impressive combo. The JB4 allows for quick on the fly changes, and the BM3 software and network allows for endless possibility in terms of fine tuning and dialing the car in just right. Going "full flash", or even just letting the flash do as much work as possible is definitely the way to go with these vehicles.

Last edited by Endeav; 07-23-2019 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #92
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Small update here. Finally found out why I was having such a hard time making over 20 to 21 PSI. No matter what I did I could never track down the "boost leak".

Turns out it wasn't a boost leak. It was actually the wastegate arm - when I initially put the turbo back together I counted threads and measured the length of the wastegate arm to return it back to "stock". Turns out this isn't accurate enough for EWG vehicles.

I had a friend of mine who is a BMW tech run the EWG calibration procedure and turns out my eyes and measurements were off by 2.55mm! I'll be having this fixed next Wednesday by BMW and be back on the road datalogging!

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #93
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
You said you never had the WG arm adjusted via ISTA, correct? Maybe try and have that done, for peace of mind.
HMMMMMMMM

😜

I'm glad you got it figured out.
By the way, running anything over 22psi on the pure stage 2 turbo is going to cause 3xcessive heat, as it's spinning outside its efficiency range. I can share logs showing this. I'm even spraying water / meth and it's still not good.
Appreciate 2
Endeav388.50
ceedawg466.00
      08-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #94
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
HMMMMMMMM

��

I'm glad you got it figured out.
By the way, running anything over 22psi on the pure stage 2 turbo is going to cause 3xcessive heat, as it's spinning outside its efficiency range. I can share logs showing this. I'm even spraying water / meth and it's still not good.
Hahaha, you were right! Good to know - I honestly don't plan on running much more than 22 PSI. Seems that 22 PSI is a nice spot for people wanting just over 500 wHP.

WGDC is now back under control and I have to say the car absolutely rips now. I can't believe that I was previously "content" with how the car was running. It's an entirely different beast now! In my logs prior to the WG adjustment I would make around 20 PSI at 4600 RPM, and now I'm making more boost at a much lower RPM - 22 PSI around 3400 RPM. I've attached my latest log. This is a combination of Cary Jordan BM3 BEF and the JB4 in Map 6. Take note of the IAT drop once the car starts rolling and the meth starts praying - quite impressive! I'll let Cary review the logs and once he gives me the go ahead I'll hop on the dyno!

Last edited by Endeav; 10-03-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:00 AM   #95
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Small update here. Finally found out why I was having such a hard time making over 20 to 21 PSI. No matter what I did I could never track down the "boost leak".

Turns out it wasn't a boost leak. It was actually the wastegate arm - when I initially put the turbo back together I counted threads and measured the length of the wastegate arm to return it back to "stock". Turns out this isn't accurate enough for EWG vehicles.

I had a friend of mine who is a BMW tech run the EWG calibration procedure and turns out my eyes and measurements were off by 2.55mm! I'll be having this fixed next Wednesday by BMW and be back on the road datalogging!

So you mean to tell me that the PS2 EWG turbo needs a wastegate adjustment before you install it on the car? Sigh!!!
How do you know where to adjust it to?
      08-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #96
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
So you mean to tell me that the PS2 EWG turbo needs a wastegate adjustment before you install it on the car? Sigh!!!
How do you know where to adjust it to?
It's actually not too difficult to do, unfortunately it does require access to BMW equivalent tech software (ISTA). After you install your turbo you or your dealership can run the wastegate procedure. It just basically opens and closes the wastegate to see if its within OEM tolerances. The procedure itself takes maybe 2 minutes. It's adjusting the wastegate nuts that takes time, mostly because it is a little bit of a tight space, but definitely not difficult by any means. If the wastegate isn't within OEM tolerances, the program tells you how far you're out and how much to adjust it by.

If I remember correctly one turn of the adjustment nut is 0.75mm and the program tells you how far you're out. Once you have the value you just do some simple division to see how many turns need to be done and in what direction to have the wastegate within spec.

Last edited by Endeav; 08-17-2019 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 03:47 AM   #97
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Smile

Quote:
It's actually not too difficult to do, unfortunately it does require access to BMW equivalent tech software (ISTA). After you install your turbo you or your dealership can run the wastegate procedure. It just basically opens and closes the wastegate to see if its within OEM tolerances. The procedure itself takes maybe 2 minutes. It's adjusting the wastegate nuts which is a little bit of a tight space, but definitely not difficult by any means. If the wastegate isn't within OEM tolerances, the program tells you how far you're out and how much to adjust it by.

If I remember correctly one turn of the adjustment nut is 0.75mm and the program tells you how far you're out. Once you have the value you just do some simple division to see how many turns need to be done and in what direction to have the wastegate within spec.
I called up Pure yesterday and the gentleman explained to me how to take the wastegate off the old turbo without disturbing the stock adjustment. He strongly urged/warned me to not take the wastegate apart from the middle. He said to just un-bolt the 4 screws that hold it down to the turbo and then pop the actuator out. Then pop the actuator into the new turbo and bolt the whole mechanism back down on the new turbo. He told me “Please do not touch the adjustment screws under any circumstance. Just remove the thing as it is and bolt it on no adjustment needed.”!
Many people have called them because they un-screw the mechanism apart from the middle in two pieces and then have to go through this arduous procedure of readjusting it back to the original factory position as you explained.
So just FYI but thanks for responding.
Your car is certainly one of my favorites to follow. Keep up the good work and thanks again.
Endeav388.50
      08-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #98
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Aaaand finally done tuning with Cary Jordan! We ended up at 22 PSI flat throughout the RPM band, and about 9.5 - 10 degrees of timing. I'm almost 100% sure there's more in it considering by average ignition on the JB4 is almost always at 0.0, but I'd rather have clean consistent power given that I also do track the car from time to time.

That being said, there is a dyno day coming up that I will be attending. Any guesses on horsepower numbers?

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #99
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

If you're running pump 93 and WMI for IAT cooling then I'll guess 500whp.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #100
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you're running pump 93 and WMI for IAT cooling then I'll guess 500whp.
I'm expecting around there as well.

I actually went ahead and placed an order for the XDI-35 HPFP from TTFS. The port methanol injection does just fine for keeping up with the fueling and supplementing the OEM HPFP when I wind out gears from lower RPM's, but it does have issues with high RPM tip-in. Despite having the port methanol injection, it seems as though the methanol injection is not "quick" enough to respond to high RPM tip-in. If I press the gas pedal to aggressively (WOT really quickly) at high RPM (> 5000) the OEM HPFP comes very close to crashing (or does crash) due to how quickly the turbo spools and because the methanol hasn't had a chance to "catch up" despite it being port methanol injection. I've noticed this issue getting worse as the temperature begins to drop here in Canada.

Probably overkill to run the XDI-35 HPFP for my application given that I don't plan on running any ethanol mixes for extended periods of time due to lack of availability, but I feel as though it's probably best for consistency.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #101
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:

I actually went ahead and placed an order for the XDI-35 HPFP from TTFS. The port methanol injection does just fine for keeping up with the fueling and supplementing the OEM HPFP when I wind out gears from lower RPM's, but it does have issues with high RPM tip-in. Despite having the port methanol injection, it seems as though the methanol injection is not "quick" enough to respond to high RPM tip-in. If I press the gas pedal to aggressively (WOT really quickly) at high RPM (> 5000) the OEM HPFP comes very close to crashing (or does crash) due to how quickly the turbo spools and because the methanol hasn't had a chance to "catch up" despite it being port methanol injection. I've noticed this issue getting worse as the temperature begins to drop here in Canada.

Probably overkill to run the XDI-35 HPFP for my application given that I don't plan on running any ethanol mixes for extended periods of time due to lack of availability, but I feel as though it's probably best for consistency.
Do you think it'd be fine without WMI? Just PS2 and XDI-35? On 93 octane.

I'm thinking of doing all three in the future, but am undecided on the WMI. It adds quite a bit of complexity, but the benefits seem well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #102
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I thought you had the xdi pump. You're going ot need to hit 500whp. I am speaking from personal experience. The stock hpfp runs out of fuel up top, and it's nearly impossible to get meth to make up for it. If you were running pure alchohol and no gasoline, it might be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

I'm thinking of doing all three in the future, but am undecided on the WMI. It adds quite a bit of complexity, but the benefits seem well worth it.
I am running all 3 now, but I don;t have port injection, just WMI injection into my charge pipe for cooling.

I can tell you that a few things from reviewing my logs:

The PS2 runs hot as hell, and there are very few air to air intercoolers that can keep up. On pump fuel & XDI35, you can't run more than 22psi without running the turbo outside its efficiency range and generating a ton of heat. The M2 ecu is VERY picky regarding temps and pulling timing. I have a custom built WMI setup, and it's running off an AEM controller that uses boost sensing to trigger the spray. Spray amount is directly related to boost level. It works amazingly well!!! It keeps my IAT within 10 degrees of ambient, no matter how hard I run the car. On full spray, when I'm doing a long 4th gear pull, it will actually bring the temps to ambient, which is mind blowing to me. I hope that info is useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #103
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I thought you had the xdi pump. You're going ot need to hit 500whp. I am speaking from personal experience. The stock hpfp runs out of fuel up top, and it's nearly impossible to get meth to make up for it. If you were running pure alchohol and no gasoline, it might be a different story.

I am running all 3 now, but I don;t have port injection, just WMI injection into my charge pipe for cooling.

The PS2 runs hot as hell, and there are very few air to air intercoolers that can keep up. On pump fuel & XDI35, you can't run more than 22psi without running the turbo outside its efficiency range and generating a ton of heat. The M2 ecu is VERY picky regarding temps and pulling timing. I have a custom built WMI setup, and it's running off an AEM controller that uses boost sensing to trigger the spray. Spray amount is directly related to boost level. It works amazingly well!!! It keeps my IAT within 10 degrees of ambient, no matter how hard I run the car. On full spray, when I'm doing a long 4th gear pull, it will actually bring the temps to ambient, which is mind blowing to me. I hope that info is useful.
Yea, I would be doing chargepipe injection. Unless I'm convinced otherwise. It wouldn't be until March or so that I would be upgrading to PS2.

I think I remember seeing your thread. It was the one with all the schematics and stuff that made my head hurt, IIRC... Actually, I saw it before I was interested in WMI, so I didn't read too much into it. I'll have to take another look.

What would you say are good IATs to prevent timing being pulled? I took two logs today, after updating to v5.8 93Oct Bm3 tune. If you could take a look at them and give your thoughts, I'd appreciate that. 2nd log shows my IATs getting up to 131F.

I'm still in the process of reviewing them myself.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d7001bfc090c652e3aa39b0
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d70036ac090c652e3aa39b1

DSC Off
Ambient ~84F
MPE valves open
Fabspeed Sport Cat
FTP Charge and boost pipes
Wagner Evo2 Comp
Eventuri Intake
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #104
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I think running without methanol at higher boost levels is kind of playing with fire... mainly for two reasons. One of which is octane, the other is heat soak. WMI adds a huge boost to octane and does a wonderful job of absorbing the excess heat produced from running higher boost through the PS2. Low-ish octane in addition to added heat, and running more power through the OEM block is a recipe for disaster! I would do everything you can to keep the engine happy, even if it's not necessarily needed. Water-methanol is rarely a bad thing!

That being said, if you're looking for 425 to maybe 450wHP, I think that's doable on 93 octane with mild timing assuming the 93 octane you have access to is actually 93 octane. I believe the OEM HPFP is capable of handling that.

Quote:
I think the "near impossible" to hit 500wHP without the XDI-35 pump comment is a little extreme! Plenty of cars have made 500 wHP with the PS2 turbo well before the XDI-35 HPFP was available. Both PWG and EWG. Charge-pipe methanol injection would for sure have issues making up for the fuel volume required, but it can be done. Port methanol injection - 100% doable, and not very difficult I would say.

That being said, it also requires you to be very diligent in making sure your WMI setup is functional, and 100% operational. Not exactly "comforting" lol.

Quote:

I agree with this. The PS2 definitely runs hot when running high boost, no doubt about it. I don't live in a hot climate, the max ambient temps we see here are about 95F (35C) without the humidex. Those days usually only last a couple of weeks in July/August, and then the temps hover around 80F (26C). in these temps the water methanol keeps my IAT's down, but you definitely see them start to come back up toward the end of a multiple gear pull. They definitely don't get "hot" to the point where I'm concerned, and I think in part that's because of how massive the CSF intercooler is - but I can imagine in much hotter climates this issue is a lot more of concern.

I don't see IAT's much higher than ambient, but I think that's just due to our not-so-hot climate!

switlikbob Did you ever figure out the HPFP noise? Are you using the BM3 XDI-35 option or is it a custom tune? I was wondering if you ever remedied the issue, or tracked down as to what caused it! Under what conditions did it occur? Can't wait to get my pump installed.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      09-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #105
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea, I would be doing chargepipe injection. Unless I'm convinced otherwise. It wouldn't be until March or so that I would be upgrading to PS2.

I think I remember seeing your thread. It was the one with all the schematics and stuff that made my head hurt, IIRC... Actually, I saw it before I was interested in WMI, so I didn't read too much into it. I'll have to take another look.

What would you say are good IATs to prevent timing being pulled? I took two logs today, after updating to v5.8 93Oct Bm3 tune. If you could take a look at them and give your thoughts, I'd appreciate that. 2nd log shows my IATs getting up to 131F.

I'm still in the process of reviewing them myself.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d7001bfc090c652e3aa39b0
http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d70036ac090c652e3aa39b1

DSC Off
Ambient ~84F
MPE valves open
Fabspeed Sport Cat
FTP Charge and boost pipes
Wagner Evo2 Comp
Eventuri Intake
I did a quick once over of your logs and they look good to me. But, I am not a log review expert, so please keep that in mind. I think the 130deg IAT's are just the normal heat soak you see with these cars. I don't have a magic number to tell you regarding heat soak adn timing pull. I do know that it's not only IAT's that factor into this equation, but at the very least you have coolant and oil temps. I've been discussin this with some "people in the know" and we're contemplating some additianl cooling on those two fronts, and maybe changing the temp regulation via computer tuning and / or colder thermostat. I am not even sure how that whole things works together yet, so it's just a theory at this point.

Quote:
I think running without methanol at higher boost levels is kind of playing with fire... mainly for two reasons. One of which is octane, the other is heat soak. WMI adds a huge boost to octane and does a wonderful job of absorbing the excess heat produced from running higher boost through the PS2. Low-ish octane in addition to added heat, and running more power through the OEM block is a recipe for disaster! I would do everything you can to keep the engine happy, even if it's not necessarily needed. Water-methanol is rarely a bad thing!

That being said, if you're looking for 425 to maybe 450wHP, I think that's doable on 93 octane with mild timing assuming the 93 octane you have access to is actually 93 octane. I believe the OEM HPFP is capable of handling that.

I think the "near impossible" to hit 500wHP without the XDI-35 pump comment is a little extreme! Plenty of cars have made 500 wHP with the PS2 turbo well before the XDI-35 HPFP was available. Both PWG and EWG. Charge-pipe methanol injection would for sure have issues making up for the fuel volume required, but it can be done. Port methanol injection - 100% doable, and not very difficult I would say.

That being said, it also requires you to be very diligent in making sure your WMI setup is functional, and 100% operational. Not exactly "comforting" lol.

I agree with this. The PS2 definitely runs hot when running high boost, no doubt about it. I don't live in a hot climate, the max ambient temps we see here are about 95F (35C) without the humidex. Those days usually only last a couple of weeks in July/August, and then the temps hover around 80F (26C). in these temps the water methanol keeps my IAT's down, but you definitely see them start to come back up toward the end of a multiple gear pull. They definitely don't get "hot" to the point where I'm concerned, and I think in part that's because of how massive the CSF intercooler is - but I can imagine in much hotter climates this issue is a lot more of concern.

I don't see IAT's much higher than ambient, but I think that's just due to our not-so-hot climate!

switlikbob Did you ever figure out the HPFP noise? Are you using the BM3 XDI-35 option or is it a custom tune? I was wondering if you ever remedied the issue, or tracked down as to what caused it! Under what conditions did it occur? Can't wait to get my pump installed.
Endeav
(sorry, my spell check is broken)
A few comments on your post, which I mostly agree with

Heat soak, high boost, and low octane make engine go boom, for sure! The stock HPFP has no problems keeping up with fuleing at lower RPM's on the M2. It's that last bit of the dyno graph where you can see the fueling lean, and everythign start to fall apart. The XDI pump helps with that all througout the rpm range.

My "near impossible" comment was not clearly explained, my apologies. Of course with a proper "dual fuel" system like port injection, a proper controller and seondary fuel cell (e85 / meth tank) you can get enough fuel for well over 500whp. The problem that I have with a setup like that is....the secondary fuel controller. If that makes any kind of screw up, your motor goes boom. So yes, it can be done, but bye bye DME safeties.

I have similar expereinces with my IAT's now that I'm spraying meth/H2O. I ran my car for 8 hours straight of roll racing at Mpact a few weeks ago. Obviously, a lot of that was sitting in line waiting to race. But my IAT's were amazing close to ambient the entire time I was racing. Now, they did get up about 30 defgrees over ambient while I was waiting in line, but that's to be expected. I have the ER intercooler (and charge/tic pipes). It does an amazing job of battling heat soak. It recovers very quickly.

Regarding th epump noise; I have never been able to reproduce it. It always makes a little noise when the engine is running, but it only made the crazy squealing nosie once. It happened when the car was running for 1/2 hour, passenger had to go pee, car idled for 20 minutes and it started. After car drove off, it stopped. I was told it was excess pressure build up of fuel by TTFS, and it's normal due to the design of the fuel system. I am not losing any sleep over it. My car runs like a raped ape, always. Regarding my tune; I jumped on the MHD bandwagon. I wish I went with bootmod, but oh well. MHD has similar options that you can check (no cat DP, xdi pump, PR coil packs, etc.). So, my car was custom tuned at TTFS by Frank Smith, and he made the tune files loadable via MHD.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      09-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #106
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Endeav
(sorry, my spell check is broken)
A few comments on your post, which I mostly agree with

Heat soak, high boost, and low octane make engine go boom, for sure! The stock HPFP has no problems keeping up with fuleing at lower RPM's on the M2. It's that last bit of the dyno graph where you can see the fueling lean, and everythign start to fall apart. The XDI pump helps with that all througout the rpm range.

My "near impossible" comment was not clearly explained, my apologies. Of course with a proper "dual fuel" system like port injection, a proper controller and seondary fuel cell (e85 / meth tank) you can get enough fuel for well over 500whp. The problem that I have with a setup like that is....the secondary fuel controller. If that makes any kind of screw up, your motor goes boom. So yes, it can be done, but bye bye DME safeties.

I have similar expereinces with my IAT's now that I'm spraying meth/H2O. I ran my car for 8 hours straight of roll racing at Mpact a few weeks ago. Obviously, a lot of that was sitting in line waiting to race. But my IAT's were amazing close to ambient the entire time I was racing. Now, they did get up about 30 defgrees over ambient while I was waiting in line, but that's to be expected. I have the ER intercooler (and charge/tic pipes). It does an amazing job of battling heat soak. It recovers very quickly.

Regarding th epump noise; I have never been able to reproduce it. It always makes a little noise when the engine is running, but it only made the crazy squealing nosie once. It happened when the car was running for 1/2 hour, passenger had to go pee, car idled for 20 minutes and it started. After car drove off, it stopped. I was told it was excess pressure build up of fuel by TTFS, and it's normal due to the design of the fuel system. I am not losing any sleep over it. My car runs like a raped ape, always. Regarding my tune; I jumped on the MHD bandwagon. I wish I went with bootmod, but oh well. MHD has similar options that you can check (no cat DP, xdi pump, PR coil packs, etc.). So, my car was custom tuned at TTFS by Frank Smith, and he made the tune files loadable via MHD.
Ahh, yes. Now that you've rephrased I completely agree .

Glad to hear the TTFS pump is working flawlessly for you. Can't wait to get mine installed now - hopefully Cary Jordan can dial in the new pump parameters quickly. I know BM3 has the flash option, but I've heard it might cause the noise to pop up... but now seeing that TTFS has confirmed its a non-issue and really just the pump working as it should I'm much less concerned.

Thanks for your input and for the good discussion! I'll update this once I get the new pump installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #107
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Endeav I am really looking forward to your results and dyno. Mine made 520 something whp at TTFS, without meth WI setup. I think my tuning is fairly conservative, as that's what I requested. I'd expect yours to be similar, but I am hoping to see a better number
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #108
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

switlikbob What's the reasoning to not trigger meth by IAT threshold? I plan to drive my car year round, where winters are 20F and below (I'm sure you're familiar, being from NJ), so triggering by boost level would be a waste of meth, I'd think.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #109
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
switlikbob What's the reasoning to not trigger meth by IAT threshold? I plan to drive my car year round, where winters are 20F and below (I'm sure you're familiar, being from NJ), so triggering by boost level would be a waste of meth, I'd think.
You could certainly do it that way. There are a few options that I have seen regarding controllers. Some people use jb4, some use the snow controller, etc. The problem I see with triggering at a set IAT number is that ambient is a moving target. Everything is relative that way, with tuning and how the ecu works. So I guess if you only wanted meth to spray at a certain IAT, you could do that, but you'd have to play with your setup to find the magic number that works best for your setup. Lot's of log reviews are in your future.

For me, when it's cold out, or when I'm not pushing the car, I just turn my WMI system off. I have a super fancy toggle switch the has a green light illuminated when the system is on, and not when it's off

@Endeav, I apologize, I'm not trying to threadjack here. I can delete this stuff if you want. I'm just trying to be helpful and share what I've learned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #110
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You could certainly do it that way. There are a few options that I have seen regarding controllers. Some people use jb4, some use the snow controller, etc. The problem I see with triggering at a set IAT number is that ambient is a moving target. Everything is relative that way, with tuning and how the ecu works. So I guess if you only wanted meth to spray at a certain IAT, you could do that, but you'd have to play with your setup to find the magic number that works best for your setup. Lot's of log reviews are in your future.

For me, when it's cold out, or when I'm not pushing the car, I just turn my WMI system off. I have a super fancy toggle switch the has a green light illuminated when the system is on, and not when it's off

@Endeav, I apologize, I'm not trying to threadjack here. I can delete this stuff if you want. I'm just trying to be helpful and share what I've learned.
Perfectly fine . Discussion is always good.

I agree, going by IAT is definitely over complicating it, and honestly probably hindering you from max performance. You also want the methanol for added octane which is a benefit observed independently of IAT.

I would just get a toggle switch like switlikbob has and turn it off on those days you don't think you'll need it.
Appreciate 1
_tphamm199.00