BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > F87 N55 PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo Build Journal | 529wHP / 542wTQ

10-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #67
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Beautiful
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      10-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #68
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Winter is coming. Keep going man!

I'd be very disappointed if you don't show the highest M2 dyno number that's ever reported.
      10-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #69
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Winter is coming. Keep going man!

I'd be very disappointed if you don't show the highest M2 dyno number that's ever reported.
Winter is coming and I'm out of town for the next week and a half . Unfortunately I wasn't able to test if the new manifold fixed my high WGDC issue prior to leaving. I'm thinking that maybe... just maybe there could have been a leak between the intake manifold and the head with the Fuel-It spacer but I highly doubt it.

Assuming there's no snow on the ground when I return, I'll relog and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll have to do the EWG re-learn procedure in ISTA and adjust the WG adjustment nuts as my last resort.

Last edited by Endeav; 10-24-2018 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #70
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Endeav Just "tuning" into this build (don't know how I missed it) and very impressed with what you have done here so far. Wish I had the knowledge - read as "balls" to try this myself.

Colour me subscribed. Looking forward to the dyno results!
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      01-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #71
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Hey I just want to bump this thread up and ask how the car feels when you're just cruising around town? Is the lag in the PS2 over stock ever a bummer?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #72
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Hey I just want to bump this thread up and ask how the car feels when you're just cruising around town? Is the lag in the PS2 over stock ever a bummer?
Assuming he has the car hibernating for the winter
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      01-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #73
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Also in for the updates.
      01-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #74
stevo8
Rep
Drives:

Also interested in update
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #75
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Quote:
Also in for the updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
Also interested in update
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Assuming he has the car hibernating for the winter
Yup! Car is in hibernation for winter haha. Unfortunately when I got back from my trip we had already received our first snowfall which means the M2 was promptly put into storage mode.

That being said, I was able to test out of the new manifold for one drive. No issues with the new manifold, however my higher-than-expected WGDC still remains so it looks like it wasn't a leak between the Fuel-It PI spacer and the intake ports on the head. Since I've extensively tested everything between the turbo and the manifold for leaks both via pressure and smoke-testing I can only imagine my wastegate rod is set too loose. It's really the only thing left to check. My first project over the winter will be to clean up the methanol lines in the engine bay as well as make an EWG adjustment. I plan to tighten the EWG rod by one or two turns to see if that's the reason as to why I can't seem to crack the 20-21 PSI mark. From what I've seen from other PS2 logs my WGDC should be more like 60-65% at this PSI and not 90% - I imagine this has to do with me "eyeballing" the EWG nuts when I reassembled the turbo. Oops, lesson learned!

To answer your question Natek about the PS2 turbo around town. I honestly don't notice the lag too much. Even with the OEM turbo I was always fairly keen to downshift prior to passing / punching it. I imagine if you're more the type to just roll into the throttle from low RPM the PS2 turbo lag would be much more noticeable, however with a quick downshift, the lag is pretty much non-existent. It's a fairly responsive turbo just by nature of it being a "hybrid" turbo. Don't get me wrong, it definitely has more lag than the OEM turbo, but it's not so laggy that it's no longer fun to drive around town. Hopefully this helps!
Appreciate 1
M2OG399.00
      01-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #76
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Endeav

PS2 PWG will be low at 60-70+%.

EWG rarely drops to below 80+% even at stock boost. 90% in your case is reasonable, especially with piggyback. I'm inclined to believing boost issue is tuning related.
      01-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #77
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Endeav

PS2 PWG will be low at 60-70+%.

EWG rarely drops to below 80+% even at stock boost. 90% in your case is reasonable, especially with piggyback. I'm inclined to believing boost issue is tuning related.
Interesting, and I won't rule that out as being a possibility, but I guess I should explain the problem in more detail to maybe provide more insight.

Essentially what happens in my datalogs is I'll be targeting 21 PSI throughout the rev range. The vehicle will build boost and hit target, but as the RPM climbs boost begins to taper off from 21 to 19 PSI while WGDC rises. By mid RPM WGDC is around 97-98% and boost is off by 2 PSI from target.

Long story short is it acts like a traditional boost leak despite me being 100% sure there is not a leak. I have tested for leaks extensively. Having described the situation, I'm a little hesitant to think that it's still a tuning issue just by the way it's able to hit target but tapers away from target as RPM climbs. The JB4 is outputting maximum WGDC to the DME but for whatever reason it cannot hit target. I feel as though this could be because the WG arm is too loose. The EWG motor is maxed out in its movement range but it doesn't necessarily translate to a maxed out WG position. That's my reasoning anyway.

Thoughts now that I've explained the situation in detail SeanWRT? I really do appreciate your input. I'm kind of down to the last few things on my checklist of possible causes.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:31 PM   #78
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Endeav, WG duty is an indication of the difference between the boost dme see and it targets, plus jb4 duty bias. Nothing else. It does NOT mean how hard turbo is working.

Dme usually see low boost with Piggyback, leading to high duty.

Boost target is a complicated thing, you can have underboost and dme is not even trying to close the gap, and have overboost and dme still pushing. With or without piggyback.

You try 24psi (your hardware can), it'd still do it and taper. See for yourself.

Anyway there is the whole N54tech board and the mighty Terry to ask, why didn't you? Also you can send me the log. Will see if I have useful input thru PM.
      01-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #79
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Endeav, WG duty is an indication of the difference between the boost dme see and it targets, plus jb4 duty bias. Nothing else. It does NOT mean how hard turbo is working.

Dme usually see low boost with Piggyback, leading to high duty.

Boost target is a complicated thing, you can have underboost and dme is not even trying to close the gap, and have overboost and dme still pushing. With or without piggyback.

You try 24psi (your hardware can), it'd still do it and taper. See for yourself.

Anyway there is the whole N54tech board and the mighty Terry to ask, why didn't you? Also you can send me the log. Will see if I have useful input thru PM.
Interesting. Maybe this is just a difference between EWG and PWG I've never considered. I'm used to PWG vehicles where WGDC is basically a direct measurement of how "hard" the turbo is working and high WGDC with low boost usually means a boost leak / wastegate too loose for the target boost.

I'll be honest and say I've never tried running higher boost, main reason being that I saw the taper and high WGDC and stopped because I assumed there was a boost leak that needed to be fixed. I've also contacted Terry about this via e-Mail as well as on N54Tech and long story short he said he it looks fine and would leave it where it is. Ideally I'd like to run 22-23 PSI but have it be flat boost.

I've PM'd you a couple logs. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #80
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Interesting. Maybe this is just a difference between EWG and PWG I've never considered. I'm used to PWG vehicles where WGDC is basically a direct measurement of how "hard" the turbo is working and high WGDC with low boost usually means a boost leak / wastegate too loose for the target boost.

I'll be honest and say I've never tried running higher boost, main reason being that I saw the taper and high WGDC and stopped because I assumed there was a boost leak that needed to be fixed. I've also contacted Terry about this via e-Mail as well as on N54Tech and long story short he said he it looks fine and would leave it where it is. Ideally I'd like to run 22-23 PSI but have it be flat boost.

I looked at your log. Perfect. No issues at all. The 1~2psi Underboost up top is intentionally programmed by BEF, for a clean throttle.

Octane is enough, fueling is more than enough. Time for more boost, I'd do 24psi immediately...

and wait for the turbo fail - joking
      01-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #81
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I looked at your log. Perfect. No issues at all. The 1~2psi Underboost up top is intentionally programmed by BEF, for a clean throttle.

Octane is enough, fueling is more than enough. Time for more boost, I'd do 24psi immediately...

and wait for the turbo fail - joking
Hahaha, yeah the logs are always insanely clean with regards to timing, fueling etc. It was just the WGDC that stopped me from pushing further. Not sure why I never just tried upping the boost and seeing what's happening. Probably because my mindset was looking at the problem like it was a PWG WGDC.

If you're right, come spring I'll up the boost on the JB4 and see if it responds appropriately. Probably still have the taper because of the BEF like you mentioned, but should be able to hit 23 taper to 21 PSI safely.

Thanks for your help and insight!
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      02-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #82
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Who going be first M2C?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #83
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Very impressive. Can't wait to see the dyno numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #84
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
You and me both

Exchanged a few e-mails back and forth with Terry from BMS and he seems to think he can squeeze quite a bit more power out of the vehicle. He says the "high" WGDC values in the log don't actually mean that actual WGDC is maxed - on EWG vehicles it is an additive value and doesn't directly reflect how hard the turbo is actually working. Sounds very similar to what SeanWRT was saying. Here's hoping for a quick Spring so I can pull the M2 out of storage and get back to work!

Last edited by Endeav; 03-03-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #85
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Here's hoping for a quick Spring so I can pull the M2 out of storage and get back to work!
You know we’re all waiting on an update
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #86
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Quote:
Here's hoping for a quick Spring so I can pull the M2 out of storage and get back to work!
You know we’re all waiting on an update
Hahahaha. I pulled the M2 out of storage on Saturday. It's still really cold here, and the weather can't decide whether it wants to be Spring or Winter. One day it's +8C, the next it's -5C and snowing, so I'm really only driving it on the "warmer" days.

Once the temps start warming up and being more consistent I'll get back to datalogging and working with Terry.

I did install a CTS Turbo intake and clean up the meth lines feeding the PI rail prior to pulling the car out of storage. Here's a photo of what the engine bay looks like now!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #87
Parisiface
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Had a blast reading through this thread! Awesome job!

Curious to see if you’ve hit the dyno yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #88
emdeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 ZL9 6MT

Can't wait for dyno results!
F15 X5 35d - 2014-2017
E36 M3 - 2009-2016
Appreciate 0